New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Since the name of the film is Golden Age I - The Egg of the Supreme King, I was wondering if it might start with Gambino finding Guts beneath his mother's corpse and go right to the end of the encounter with Zodd. Afterall, one of the last things Zodd mentions before flying off is Griffith's crimson beherit (The Egg of the King).
If you'll recall, Griffith loses the Beherit soon after being imprisoned. Ending on a down note like that while also focusing on a key moment in Beherit timeline would make just as much sense as ending it after the Zodd fight. Moreso, given the promotional art so far.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Truder said:
Well.. after reading all your guys' text for about an hour, I'm now too afraid to post my opinion out fear of getting ripped apart by Griffith.

Then my work here is done! :griffnotevil:

Just kidding (I'm still going to rip people =), but let me make it clear that I'm not criticizing enthusiasm, just blind enthusiasm or lack of expectations. When we say we're hoping for the best, let's mean it, people.

Gobolatula said:
It's strange being excitedly happy and weary concurrently. The obvious solutions are to either pick a dumb side or stop giving a shit. And I don't think I'm capable of either. I need Berserk therapy..

Don't we all. I don't even think there's real sides though, it's just different ways of caring (though some don't either way).

Rhombaad said:
Since the name of the film is Golden Age I - The Egg of the Supreme King, I was wondering if it might start with Gambino finding Guts beneath his mother's corpse and go right to the end of the encounter with Zodd. Afterall, one of the last things Zodd mentions before flying off is Griffith's crimson beherit (The Egg of the King). I think that would be an appropriate place to leave off and I think that amount of material could more adequately be covered in a 2 hour film than volumes 4 - 8.

Yeah, that's about the cutoff if one were going to attempt an "unabridged" adaptation. Speaking of which, and since your point about Guts' armor was so depressing, let's examine the positives! It's called Golden Age I, which obviously implies a Golden Age II, and hopefully even a Golden Age III (one could do a pretty decent adaptation under that scenario by the way). Furthermore, an arc title followed by a subtitle implies future films that won't be titled Golden Age, e.g. Black Swordsman I, Lost Children I, Retribution I, etc. Some basic positive indicators for those of us worried about the series being shortchanged.

Walter said:
If you'll recall, Griffith loses the Beherit soon after being imprisoned. Ending on a down note like that while also focusing on a key moment in Beherit timeline would make just as much sense as ending it after the Zodd fight. Moreso, given the promotional art so far.

In that case, we've already seen images from every scene that's going to be in the movie! :iva:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:

That's true. There are numerous areas where the crimson beherit is focused upon, but I thought ending with Zodd alluding to what it's meant for would not only be a good stopping place thematically, but a decent amount of story that could be covered in a movie.

Griffith said:
Speaking of which, and since your point about Guts' armor was so depressing, let's examine the positives!

Crap, sorry man. I didn't mean for my comments to depress ya. :sad: I hope to God that what I said in no way comes to pass. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what they're doing, but there's so little material out yet that it's next to impossible to be one step ahead of them.

Griffith said:
It's called Golden Age I, which obviously implies a Golden Age II, and hopefully even a Golden Age III (one could do a pretty decent adaptation under that scenario by the way). Furthermore, an arc title followed by a subtitle implies future films that won't be titled Golden Age, e.g. Black Swordsman I, Lost Children I, Retribution I, etc. Some basic positive indicators for those of us worried about the series being shortchanged.

I agree and hope very much that it will be the case. :guts:

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
Crap, sorry man. I didn't mean for my comments to depress ya. :sad: I hope to God that what I said in no way comes to pass. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what they're doing, but there's so little material out yet that it's next to impossible to be one step ahead of them.

No worries, I was just giving a nod to what I considered some thoughtful commentary. It's just too bad if that's the case.

X

Xem

There's something that I've been thinking about lately. We all want this series to be done the justice it deserves but is that even possible with the length of perfection that Miura has given within the pages of the manga?

What I mean is, he's created a very lengthy story, one that even perhaps a popular TV series might have a hard time keeping up with. On top of that his art is completely in a league of it's own. Dare I say a TV series just wouldn't have been able to produce the quality art it deserves. On the other hand, the story might've been 100% faithful in every way. Now though with the decision to make the story into a series of theatrical movies possibly followed up by OVA's (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the plan), the art is getting pretty special treatment... but is it at the cost of the story?

If so the question to me is where do you draw the line? When does compromising the art for story-telling become too much and vice versca?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I don't even think there's real sides though, it's just different ways of caring (though some don't either way).

Yeah, there are those who care and those who don't. Yet those who don't better be careful 'round these parts. :femto:

Deci said:
We all want this series to be done the justice it deserves but is that even possible with the length of perfection that Miura has given within the pages of the manga? What I mean is, he's created a very lengthy story, one that even perhaps a popular TV series might have a hard time keeping up with. On top of that his art is completely in a league of it's own. Dare I say a TV series just wouldn't have been able to produce the quality art it deserves. On the other hand, the story might've been 100% faithful in every way. Now though with the decision to make the story into a series of theatrical movies possibly followed up by OVA's (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the plan), the art is getting pretty special treatment... but is it at the cost of the story?

That's a false dilemma. First off, a TV series definitely does not guarantee a faithful story. See the Berserk TV series from 1997. Censorship, among other things, was an issue. A series of OVAs is actually more likely to allow for faithfulness to the original material in that regard. As for quality art, while what we've seen so far seems nice enough, it's still never going to compare to Miura's own artwork. And it's not meant to, so I don't think it's pertinent to attempt to equate the two. As far as I'm concerned, what an animated movie brings to the table is... the animation (I know, shocking revelation). So aside from that, what matters most to me is that the story be faithful to the source material, and I do think it's possible to achieve with the current project. Whether it will be the case remains to be seen.

Rhombaad said:
On a slightly different topic, I was also wondering about why Guts is in the same outfit that we see him wearing in the first promo image (poster?) of the movie when he fights Griffith for the second time. Perhaps they're going The Simpsons route. What I mean by that is they may be keeping the characters in the same armor, clothes, etc. throughout parts of the series. It's something animators have done in the past to tie one character to one specific set of clothing to make them more recognizable. It's a cheap way of doing things and really only makes sense if you're trying to reach the minds of children (which the animators shouldn't be doing for Berserk's audience).

Something I was thinking about a few days ago is that it might just be more convenient for them if the armors are part of the CG models tied to the characters. Since they don't have to draw the characters for each scene, to keep the exact same models would save them a lot of time. It'd also be a shoddy practice though, so I want to believe they'll customize and polish the clothes/armors and weapons later on in the production so that it'll all be perfect when the movie comes out.

Saephon said:
I can't help but get the feeling that they're doing a shoddy job promoting this thing (Hmm, I wonder why? :troll:)

Let's just hope they at least do a good job creating it.

Anyway, there have been a few new tweets from Berserk_project, if anyone's interested. Unfortunately it's nothing interesting. Clara_de_Porras, however, is having her Twitter picture drawn by Miura himself. Lucky girl.

Clara_de_Porras said:
わたくしのアイコンですが、現在三浦先生が描いてくださっています。近々お見せできると思いますので、どうぞお楽しみに!

"Miura-sensei is drawing my icon. I think I can show it soon. Please wait for it with pleasure."

Aazealh said:
What instantly struck me is that the smaller picture has her covered with the right vegetation (ferns). Maybe this is an indication that the final product will not necessarily correspond to the early footage we've seen?
hey that could be good news no?? maybe it wont be that bad afterall!!!! :ubik:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Aazealh said:
What instantly struck me is that the smaller picture has her covered with the right vegetation (ferns). Maybe this is an indication that the final product will not necessarily correspond to the early footage we've seen? I guess I shouldn't be too hopeful, but I can't help it.
Yeeeah I think you're right there! I seriously hope that what's in those commercials is like... Just tests. I much prefer ferns. Oh, and proper armor too.

S

supa_pokute

Kind of a bummer. From the new info the past couple days it does seem like they are skipping the black swordsman episodes, or at least for now. :(

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Yeeeah I think you're right there! I seriously hope that what's in those commercials is like... Just tests. I much prefer ferns. Oh, and proper armor too.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

supa_pokute said:
Kind of a bummer. From the new info the past couple days it does seem like they are skipping the black swordsman episodes, or at least for now. :(

Indeed. Well, maybe they didn't want to make compromises because of the ratings (to avoid an R18+ rating?) and we'll get it as a series of OVAs... One can hope.

And as promised, here's Miura's comment from the article in Young Animal, courtesy of puella:

Miura Kentarou said:
I never imagined I'd receive such a great blessing again: to have the manga animated. The previous animation of Berserk served as a momentum to make it known to people.

It's been 14 years since the first one. I think this animation will be done, as a movie, well enough to gain the sympathy of many people as well as that of the fans.

14 years ago, my skill wasn't good enough so I fully concentrated myself on the serialization (I was really absorbed!). Besides, back then, we didn't have Amazon and not many people had Internet in our country. A debutant mangaka had almost no means to get data about armors or European Middle-Ages history. So I used a pamphlet of the movie "Excalibur" until it was ragged.

Time has passed and now we live in the Information Age, not to mention we have CG technology! I'm sure that we'll see images beyond the expectations that I had at the time.
And, I had a chance to visit STUDIO 4°C, known for its craftsmanship and to first meet the director Kubooka and then the other staff. Seeing their over-passioned tenacity about the project (they're out of their minds <3), I can trust them deeply, and I can't do anything but wish that nobody dies of overwork.

Those shots of Casca actually all look like they're from around when Guts and her get pushed off the cliff. So I'm still guessing, especially since it's titled "The Golden Age Part 1: The Egg of the King" that it'll go from volumes 4 to 8. Mid movie will probably be the Zodd fight, and the end will probably be the fight between Griffith and Guts. That's my prediction.

CCS said:
Those shots of Casca actually all look like they're from around when Guts and her get pushed off the cliff. So I'm still guessing, especially since it's titled "The Golden Age Part 1: The Egg of the King" that it'll go from volumes 4 to 8. Mid movie will probably be the Zodd fight, and the end will probably be the fight between Griffith and Guts. That's my prediction.

Your prediction could still be right, but not all of those shots of Casca are from when Guts and her go off the cliff. The ones where she is wearing armor looks like Volume 12 as Griffith stated. It's right after they rescue Griffith and Casca tends to his wounds.

Aazealh said:
And as promised, here's Miura's comment from the article in Young Animal, courtesy of puella:

THANKS PUELLA. AND THANKS AAZ! Miura sure does sound positive and enthusiastic. July 15... July 15!!! I can't wait. =)

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Miura is SUCH a nice guy.

I'm hoping very much that he is more involved in this one.

Thank you for the translation, Puella.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Its good to have Miura publicly commenting on all this. He seems very happy with the project, the team behind it, and the direction things are going.

With such enthusiasm from him, I can't help but feel the same about the movie :serpico:

Your dedication is greatly appreciated, Puella and Aaz!

Griffith

Well, it's nice of Miura to say that, but he's not really a true fan and his objectivity is compromised here anyway, amirite? :carcus: :troll:

:miura:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Oh Miura, always the perfectionist. Seriously though this guy is so humble.

Truly, his humility is a lesson to us all. It's very Japanese in itself, but he always takes it a good notch further. It's hard not to deeply respect the man.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
It's hard not to deeply respect the man.

Agreed. I love reading his comments on Berserk and finding out about the things he does in his spare time. Thanks for posting that, Aazealh, and thanks to Puella for translating!

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
thedigitalsin said:
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/52893

Portrait of Clara de Porras and the last paragraph mentions the Golden Age arc will be animated into three films.
What a pretty character design. It's almost a shame that this character is exclusive to Twitter. I wish someone that resembled her showed up in the story!

...Imagine that design used for a grown-up Theresia. . .

So, 3 films, huh? Very interesting.

thedigitalsin said:
Portrait of Clara de Porras and the last paragraph mentions the Golden Age arc will be animated into three films.

:serpico: :guts: :ubik: :casca: :judo: (that last face is tears of joy)

TRILOGY hooray! At the very least, we can now expect decent pacing!!! Thanks for the link thedigitalsin. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
What a pretty character design. It's almost a shame that this character is exclusive to Twitter. I wish someone that resembled her showed up in the story!

It's pretty neat, yeah. Might be based on the actual person using the Twitter account given the distinct Asian look of the character, too. Which is why no such character is in the story in the first place. Wouldn't fit the setting, I guess. Also, the name "de Porras" implies noble origins. Not the kind of people who composed the Band of the Falcon. Lastly, another girl might have made some of Casca's achievements (to succeed as a female mercenary) seem less remarkable.

Gobolatula said:
So, 3 films, huh? Very interesting.

Well that was to be expected. With that format they should be able to do something decent in terms of length, even though the story's progression doesn't lend itself to a trilogy of theatrical movies in my opinion. What's the plan? Start the third movie with Griffith's rescue, then move on to Wyald and the Occultation ceremony? That'd sure be a wild ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom