New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
JezzaX said:
But I'm not sure if I'm happy with the faces in some scenes. It may be just me (as I haven't had a chance to reference it) but guts' face when he is standing behind Griffith doesn't look right to me, almost goofy.

berserkanime-09.jpg
250px-Johnoffice.jpg

I agree the CGI style and faces are a bit uncanny (the best looking image is of the old woman =), and it reminds me more of a video game than a movie. Ironically, in some instances I think the old anime more resembles Miura's art style by virtue of being hand drawn, but of course it has nothing on this in terms of animation, consistency, and shiny newness. :guts:

Olivier Hague said:
Hi guys, first time poster!
Still a bit surprised we'd have footage (even possibly test footage) from later arcs like that in a trailer for the first movie...

Wild theory (might very well have been mentioned before, sorry):
If they skip the first volumes to jump into the Golden Age arc directly, that means movie audiences (unlike manga readers) won't know that Griffith eventually becomes Guts' enemy, right? Maybe there will still be something. And maybe that something won't be from the first volumes of the manga, if you catch my drift...

Welcome to the board! As for some sort of flash forward... well, you already know where I stand on those. :griffnotevil:

The whole thing with the test footage is odd.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Olivier Hague said:
Hi guys, first time poster!
Still a bit surprised we'd have footage (even possibly test footage) from later arcs like that in a trailer for the first movie...

Wild theory (might very well have been mentioned before, sorry):
If they skip the first volumes to jump into the Golden Age arc directly, that means movie audiences (unlike manga readers) won't know that Griffith eventually becomes Guts' enemy, right? Maybe there will still be something. And maybe that something won't be from the first volumes of the manga, if you catch my drift...

'Sup Olivier. Yeah, I was surprised as well. But then again, the trailer mentions the other movies as well, and those two shots (Griffith on the Hill of Swords and Guts fighting the H.I.C.K.) are at the very end, so I think it may just be to give the viewer a sense of what Berserk in general is about.

I'm not too hot on the idea of flashforwards, as I think they'd need to be done reaaaally cleverly not to suck. Who knows, though?

Griffith said:
Welcome to the board!
Thanks!

Aazealh said:
Yeah, I was surprised as well. But then again, the trailer mentions the other movies as well, and those two shots (Griffith on the Hill of Swords and Guts fighting the H.I.C.K.) are at the very end, so I think it may just be to give the viewer a sense of what Berserk in general is about.
Well, yeah, but the other movies that are mentioned are parts II and III of the Golden Age arc, so... (Will those other arcs even be made into theatrical features?)
As for giving the viewer a sense of what Berserk in general is about, I agree... It's just that they might try to do that not just in the trailer...

I'm not too hot on the idea of flashforwards, as I think they'd need to be done reaaaally cleverly not to suck. Who knows, though?
Yeah, I'm not sure that would be such a great idea to play with that... But then again, if you adapt the whole thing strictly chronologically, you don't get the whole "awww, they appear to be be BFFs right now! what happened between them?!" / "OMG, that's Puck! he was the Elf Judo was referring to!" / "so that's how he lost an arm and an eye!"...
Dunno. I'm preparing myself for some serious reshuffling / reframing, just in case.

Griffith

Olivier Hague said:

Of course.

Olivier Hague said:
Well, yeah, but the other movies that are mentioned are parts II and III of the Golden Age arc, so... (Will those other arcs even be made into theatrical features?)

Will all of them be made at all?

Olivier Hague said:
Yeah, I'm not sure that would be such a great idea to play with that... But then again, if you adapt the whole thing strictly chronologically, you don't get the whole "awww, they appear to be be BFFs right now! what happened between them?!" / "OMG, that's Puck! he was the Elf Judo was referring to!" / "so that's how he lost an arm and an eye!"...
Dunno. I'm preparing myself for some serious reshuffling / reframing, just in case.

Good points, which again makes me wish they'd started from the beginning in the first place. Working with the reality before us though, something of the experience is going to be compromised either way, but I'd like them to keep those things in their proper places when and if they do eventually release those other arcs. Theoretically they could have it both ways, touching on later events in the films and expanding on them in separate releases.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Does this
berserkanime-06.jpg
look terrible to anyone else? It looks like an in-game cut scene from a video game.

My favorite part of the trailer, the noises that the beherit makes when the eyes open. That was sweet. I'm trying not to get myself too excited, I hope this turns out well. I wasn't skeptical about the cg until seeing that trailer, some things just look shoddy. I'm hoping it will go through more refining before the release.

Griffith said:
Hahahahaha oh shit son

I'm just going to take it for what it is and be happy we are getting anything at all. I'd rather not bitch, moan, and criticize; and end up jinxing anything.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Doesn't Guts have bandages over his knuckles (right fist) after the Zodd encounter or specifically in this scene?
That's the kind of minutiae I expect to be overlooked, and don't really care about. It's when they start creating new material that worries me.

Welcome, Olivier. Just what we need, another Frenchman :griffnotevil:

(I should be asleep still...)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Welcome back, Olivier! :ubik:

I don't mind what I see in the trailer one bit (aside from Guts wearing his helmet when facing off against Carcus, Casca and Griffith for the first time; how do you screw that up?). The character designs were never going to match the manga perfectly, and I think they look way better than the designs from the '97 series. I'm much more concerned about content than how they draw the characters (as long as they're not wayyyy off).

As for the CG animation, I don't think it looks too bad. But then again I'm used to seeing this style from watching Stand Alone Complex back in the day (and this looks cleaner anyway). I'm disappointed the trailer is so short, but then again most movie trailers from Japan are only about 30 sec. long.

That battle scene looks really well done. My first thought was it might be from Guts' earlier days as a mercenary in Gambino's company, but it could also be from shortly before Guts kills Bazuso (as others have said). Color me pleased for now. :serpico:

DarkDragoon said:
Does this
berserkanime-06.jpg
look terrible to anyone else? It looks like an in-game cut scene from a video game.

I agree, the motion for that clip seems a little unusual and poorly executed. On the plus side, the helmet appears to be CG and should be easy enough for the studio to remove to correct any continuity errors

Translation for those who want it. Bit rough but it gets the point across.

First Card:
From the studio that brought you The Dark Knight and the Harry Potter series
Warner Bros. Pictures

Second Card:
Comes the Unequaled Historical
Dark Fantasy

Third Card:
Over 30 Million Copies Sold Worldwide
Berserk is finally being made into a movie!

Narration:
A man who believed only in the sword met irreplaceable comrades.

4th Card:
What lies at the end of battle...

5th Card:
Is it destruction?

Final Card:
The Saga Project has commenced!
Golden Age I - Egg of the Supreme King
January 2012
Information on Part II and III coming soon!

Griffith

Thanks for the translation, thedigitalsin. The initial text about it being from the same studio as those billion dollar franchises is exciting. Harry Potter, Batman, and now... Berserk. :guts:

DarkDragoon said:
Does this http://skullknight.net/images/anime-screens/berserkanime-06.jpg look terrible to anyone else? It looks like an in-game cut scene from a video game.

My first thought was "Wind Waker" when I saw the screen cap, but in motion it looks ok.

DarkDragoon said:
I wasn't skeptical about the cg until seeing that trailer, some things just look shoddy. I'm hoping it will go through more refining before the release.
JezzaX said:
I agree, the motion for that clip seems a little unusual and poorly executed. On the plus side, the helmet appears to be CG and should be easy enough for the studio to remove to correct any continuity errors

I don't know, maybe I'm just not hip to this process, but we've talking about them refining or fixing this stuff ever since those screen caps of the "early test footage" appeared years ago, and it still looks the same to me. What we see may be what we get, I'll believe they'll change it when I see it.

todus said:
I'm just going to take it for what it is and be happy we are getting anything at all. I'd rather not bitch, moan, and criticize; and end up jinxing anything.

Hey man, it's going to be what it is no matter what we say, so we might as well be honest. In the end, it'll help us put it in perspective. From all these minor mistakes I'm seeing it looks jinxed already though. :iva:

IncantatioN said:
Doesn't Guts have bandages over his knuckles (right fist) after the Zodd encounter or specifically in this scene?
Walter said:
That's the kind of minutiae I expect to be overlooked, and don't really care about. It's when they start creating new material that worries me.

He only had bandages on his knuckles in the manga, the original anime overdid it and had them going up his forearm (and left out the bandages on his shoulder). Griffith's wardrobe looks a little different too, but the biggest thing is they've changed the background directly behind Guts and Griffith from trees to a courtyard for some reason. It looks nice, but it loses some of the intimacy of the scene.

Rhombaad said:
I don't mind what I see in the trailer one bit (aside from Guts wearing his helmet when facing off against Carcus, Casca and Griffith for the first time; how do you screw that up?). The character designs were never going to match the manga perfectly, and I think they look way better than the designs from the '97 series. I'm much more concerned about content than how they draw the characters (as long as they're not wayyyy off).

Yeah, they're changing so many little things it almost forces you to just go along with it as a re-imagining of Berserk. We'll see if it's a harbinger of more significant changes or if they're just not sweating the small stuff.

Rhombaad said:
I'm disappointed the trailer is so short, but then again most movie trailers from Japan are only about 30 sec. long.

The trailer makes me hopeful that the finished product will be better in context, the missing piece of the puzzle is seeing how an actual scene plays out in this style. It's hard to judge when all we've seen so far is flashes of action.

I noticed that warner bros. is distributing this...anyone think that these berserk movies have the potential to be as big as the harry potter/batman movies?? Who knows, we might even see a live-action movie somewhere in the near future. Don't know if thats a good thing or not.

berserkfan said:
I noticed that warner bros. is distributing this...anyone think that these berserk movies have the potential to be as big as the harry potter/batman movies?? Who knows, we might even see a live-action movie somewhere in the near future. Don't know if thats a good thing or not.

I don't expect these films to be anywhere close to being on the money making level of Harry Potter or Nolan's Batman trilogy. That said, it does seem likely the west will get this film at some point...whether it's through Warner Bros. themselves (Batman: Gotham Knight) or through another company (like Funimation releasing Summer Wars) is anybody's guess at this point.

Okay I'm kinda of a snob when it comes to CG in anime and this stuff looks kinda low quality. Even Sunrise did a better job on compositing the CG into their Tiger and Bunny TV series. And in the stills I can tell what is CG and what is traditionally done. I HOPE the CG stuff goes through a lot of work between now and January because at the moment it looks really rough and the movement looks jerky.

I wish they went all hand-drawn except for Gut's armor and Zodd, and hand animated all the people, but I guess that's not gonna happen. Ho hum. I can only hope for improvements. Still, it's exciting to see a trailer!

Griffith

berserkfan said:
I noticed that warner bros. is distributing this...anyone think that these berserk movies have the potential to be as big as the harry potter/batman movies??
thedigitalsin said:
I don't expect these films to be anywhere close to being on the money making level of Harry Potter or Nolan's Batman trilogy. That said, it does seem likely the west will get this film at some point...whether it's through Warner Bros. themselves (Batman: Gotham Knight) or through another company (like Funimation releasing Summer Wars) is anybody's guess at this point.
At best I'm hoping to see it in a theater somehow. I :idea: L.A. :badbone:

CCS said:
Okay I'm kinda of a snob when it comes to CG in anime and this stuff looks kinda low quality. Even Sunrise did a better job on compositing the CG into their Tiger and Bunny TV series. And in the stills I can tell what is CG and what is traditionally done. I HOPE the CG stuff goes through a lot of work between now and January because at the moment it looks really rough and the movement looks jerky.

I wish they went all hand-drawn except for Guts armor and Zodd, and hand animated all the people, but I guess that's not gonna happen. Ho hum. I can only hope for improvements. Still, it's exciting to see a trailer!

Hopefully it's a sign they're serious about doing everything and this is simply the most economical approach.

Despite my criticisms, I can't help but keep hitting the replay button. What I wouldn't mind seeing is side by side comparisons for the same scenes in the 97 anime and the manga.

Griffith

JezzaX said:
Despite my criticisms, I can't help but keep hitting the replay button. What I wouldn't mind seeing is side by side comparisons for the same scenes in the 97 anime and the manga.

Since I already half did this when we discussed the scene before:

comparemanga01.jpg

compare9701.jpg

berserkanime-09.jpg

Griffith

JezzaX said:
Well, that's 1-0 to the old anime as far as accuracy goes.

Yeah, but to be fair to the new anime that shot isn't equivalent to the exact moment you're seeing from the manga and the '97 anime, but this one from a different angle:

comparemanga00.jpg

compare9700.jpg

berserkanime-09.jpg

So it's actually a composite of those two panels, and arguably does a better job conveying Griffith's body language than the '97 anime did (though not his expression, at least in that still). Guts expression is off too as others have noted, and unless they add those trees back in I'm not sure where the leaves that are falling throughout this scene are going to come from.

Griffith said:
Yeah, but to be fair to the new anime that shot isn't equivalent to the exact moment you're seeing from the manga and the '97 anime,

I'm not really taking perspective into account, but detailing such as the bandages, tree placement (as you rightly pointed out) and Guts expression/position, which admittedly is determined by the point in the scene it is at. But I'm sure if we were to take more comparative scenes, we would expect similar results.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Olivier Hague said:

I know, what I mean is that the trailer might have been envisioned in part as advertising the "saga" and not just the first movie. Not that I'm super satisfied with that explanation, but I also don't see how or why they'd include flashfowards about the Hill of Swords and particularly volume 16 in there. Guts and Griffith facing off would at least make sense, even though it'd be a source of confusion and a big spoiler. But Guts fighting the H.I.C.K.?

As for the other arcs, I think it pretty much depends on how well the first movies will do at the box office. If they don't make enough, it'll probably be OVAs. And if they really don't make enough, I guess it'll be nothing at all.

Olivier Hague said:
As for giving the viewer a sense of what Berserk in general is about, I agree... It's just that they might try to do that not just in the trailer...

Well I'm ready for anything I guess. But with the director's talk about staying faithful and all I wouldn't expect them to go ahead with that sort of things. Also, it's true the flashback aspect will be lost by not featuring the Black Swordsman arc, but would inserting scenes from later on in the midst of the movies truly replace it? It won't really have the same sense of expectation/discovery if it's reversed. Then again, the pictures speak for themselves...

JezzaX said:
On the plus side, the helmet appears to be CG and should be easy enough for the studio to remove to correct any continuity errors

We'll see (hell, being hopeful costs nothing), but I'm not holding my breath.

berserkfan said:
anyone think that these berserk movies have the potential to be as big as the harry potter/batman movies??

Nah.

berserkfan said:
Who knows, we might even see a live-action movie somewhere in the near future. Don't know if thats a good thing or not.

I think it'd be terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom