New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Seems to me that all these months remaining until the movie comes out, it will be just a comparison to the 97 series and the manga. It's good to see a trailer up and all, but if the movie makes it here, I"ll just wait to fully digest it and compare it. I'm just glad Berserk is getting the attention it deserves. I am more on the positive side,and that the adaptation is as close as it can get on movie format. No one can compare to Miura, but if they can at least show some respect trying to do a good,above average movie(s) I"ll be satisfied.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Griffith said:
Like you're going to experience the movie in the form of random still frames? =)
Well, a great amount of anime is just a bunch of still frames with moving mouths, or one still image with the camera panning across. In fact, most of anime seems to be just that now that I think of it. There isn't always a very large amount of animation in anime. There does seem to be more in movies, though, and it doesn't appear that the Berserk movie is an exception, so we'll see.

Miura's detailed, beautiful art style when he does color images. I'm only saying because it's kind of a misnomer that everything about Berserk should be painted black.
It still never looks bright and clean, never cartoony at all.

I do hope you're right, but again, then you're also making a big deal over a still frame of a wide shot from old test footage. Much ado about nothing at this point. I mean, what did you think of the HD trailer itself, similarly grieved?
I mostly thought it was exciting and awesome, and much of it was nice looking, and I will probably think the same of the movie. But most of the things I don't like about the stills were just as apparent to me when watching the trailer, mostly the bad cg though. The big deal I made is out of the small amount of fear that the old test footage will be in the final cut.

Well, aside from the detail size being way different, it should look better since in that version the characters actually are still images. =) In this version there's fluid movement, which is the tradeoff, and another reason this shouldn't be judged equivalently with what's essentially still art, since that's not what this is. Having said that, let's do it anyway!

comparemanga02.jpg

Miura wins! No surprise. As for the other two... not so cut and dry. They each have their positives and negatives when you consider everything like clarity, atmosphere, and fluidity. So yeah, I'm not saying you should jump for joy, just don't jump off a bridge either.
Well after seeing that picture, Miura's art is always going to put everything else to shame. I honestly didn't remember how much until I saw that comparison. Makes arguing between the 97 and 2012 animes seem kind of pointless. And while I agree that each of them have their strong and weak points, accuracy is personally more important to me than image quality.

I think if Guts' outfit and sword were correct in that scene, I probably wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with it honestly. I think the enormous inaccuracy makes me want to criticize everything else. So if that is corrected for the final version, which it better be, I will be happy I'm sure.

Griffith said:
Not tolerable? What are you going to do, edit it out like some nut!

Well, I won't enter to the endless thing " If you can't do better, don't you dare to criticize ".
I think you got me when I said 'not tolerable. I am not going to do anything of course, since I don't pretend to do better than guys at studio 4C; but still, it doesn't mean I can't appreciate and criticize.
I am just saying that it will surely be like some kind of "final" Berserk animation production; which means there won't be other stuff after these movies, I think I don't have to say why.

So, considering it's the "best" of what Japanese animation can produce ( well not necessarly the best in terms of studio, but the best the production has chosen to deal with ) about Berserk, well yes I say it's not really tolerable.

But after all I'm not saying this about the movies I didn't even see I'm aware of this. I just criticize what I've seen, which is a little I know, so we'll see the entire thing when it comes out.

In the end, I think like everyone said, a "perfect" Berserk animation will never be possible, well at least not If Miura learns animation and is cloned like an entire army to do it :carcus: so I'm ok with a certain lower standard of quality but come on, stuff like proportions issues or weird faces on shots without movements, it's a shame... :azan:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Guts having the wrong sword is the only thing that is bugging me. everything else I could live with.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
CCS said:
There were more skilled traditional animators back then. These days the computer has spoiled everyone unfortunately. It also might be because studio 4C is used to taking liberties with proportions. Just look at Tenton Kinkreet or however you spell that.
Whoa whoa, you're so wrong it's hilarious. I don't want to start a non-Berserk argument here, but animation these days is actually a lot better and more fluid because of computer graphics, allowing for a lot more room experimentation and animator's show off their skill . It may not be as detailed as in the past, but it's actually more animated now. Hell, look at Tekkon Kinkreet, Studio 4c actually does some of the best animation on the market.

In any case, I'd much rather have fluidly animated Berserk over still-frames that still don't completely capture Miura's art style.

The HD trailer on the website looks fucking good; even the cg looks better than the youtube video, and if some of you can't be happy with that, then well... damn, I feel sorry for you. Some people just like to complain.

Its definitely better than any treatment Hokuto no Ken has ever received.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
DarkDragoon said:
Well, a great amount of anime is just a bunch of still frames with moving mouths, or one still image with the camera panning across. In fact, most of anime seems to be just that now that I think of it. There isn't always a very large amount of animation in anime. There does seem to be more in movies, though, and it doesn't appear that the Berserk movie is an exception, so we'll see.
Dar Klink said:
I don't want to start a non-Berserk argument here, but animation these days is actually a lot better and more fluid because of computer graphics [...] In any case, I'd much rather have fluidly animated Berserk over still-frames that still don't completely capture Miura's art style.

Yeah, we we're discussing this in the chat yesterday, comparing the pros and cons of each style, culminating with this fine example of "animation" from the '97 model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zlsbpYogrY#t=3m29s

No wonder those stills look so good... or not. :ganishka:

DarkDragoon said:
It still never looks bright and clean, never cartoony at all.

cartoony.jpg

Again, a popular misnomer, Miura is quite guilty of all the above crimes. He's especially bright and colorful with his pencils and watercolors.

bc1.jpg
bc2.jpg

As for cartooniness, well, it's a cartoon, so it'll look cartoony at times even when it's serious, nothing wrong with that. Though, there's literally hundreds of prominent examples of intentional cartooniness; sometimes entire pages worth, and not just Puck and the usual comic relief characters, but Guts, Casca, and everyone will have moments right out of the funny pages if they're around long enough (even the God Hand).

cartoony1.jpg
cartoony2.jpg
cartoony3.jpg
cartoony4.jpg
cartoony5.jpg
cartoony6.jpg
cartoony7.jpg
cartoony9.jpg
cartoony8.jpg

These are just a few examples, but I'm sure we could all come up with dozens more off the tops of our heads. So, I'd say Miura's style is quite eclectic, it's just all so well integrated and focused that we don't think of the series that way. It's really surprising how present that cartoonish element is if you go back and specifically look for it, even during famously dark material like Lost Children. Bringing it back around to the new anime, the series' sense of humor is actually something I wouldn't mind seeing better represented.

DarkDragoon said:
I think the enormous inaccuracy makes me want to criticize everything else. So if that is corrected for the final version, which it better be, I will be happy I'm sure.

Hopefully, on the plus side at least we already know this version has Wyndham in the background.

Theoden said:
Well, I won't enter to the endless thing " If you can't do better, don't you dare to criticize ".
I think you got me when I said 'not tolerable. I am not going to do anything of course, since I don't pretend to do better than guys at studio 4C; but still, it doesn't mean I can't appreciate and criticize.

Yeah, I was just kidding around because I've literally been that nut. :griffnotevil:

todus said:
Some people just like to complain.

True, but on the other hand some never will. :slan:

todus said:
if some of you can't be happy with that, then well... damn, I feel sorry for you. Some people just like to complain.
Well, maybe you are confusing complaining with getting a high standard of demand concerning something you truly love.

todus said:
Its definitely better than any treatment Hokuto no Ken has ever received.

It's certainly better than many others, but that doesn't make it good, that's all.

Well I will definitely wait to see these movies. For now I am re-watching the 97 series and I have to say that sometimes it's really, really worse than the worst shot of that new movie, so...
Also it feels good not to have cheap sequences with just one illustration non-animated with poor effects ( Guts firing with his arm cannon against the snake apostle, or simply knights being shots by Guts crossbow )
It had its own style like during the eclipse, well I know it's my own personal taste still, but sometimes it was really inappropriate, nearly frustrating.

todus said:
The HD trailer on the website looks fucking good; even the cg looks better than the youtube video, and if some of you can't be happy with that, then well... damn, I feel sorry for you. Some people just like to complain.

todus said:
I'm just going to take it for what it is and be happy we are getting anything at all. I'd rather not bitch, moan, and criticize

Embrace pedestrianism, SK.net!

Alk

Lurker Artist
Ack- Hello all. Although I made an account early last year, I'm a longtime lurker.
I hadn't really planned on anything other than lurking and messing about on the drawing board now and again, but now that the full trailer is up, I feel compelled to crawl out of the woodwork for a moment for the first time. It might be a poor decision to speak up, but- ah well. Forgive the long goddamned post.

I was really optimistic when I heard it was going to be studio 4c.
I've really liked some of their previous work that I've seen- especially Tekkonkinkreet and the moody bun fun animated short "Comedy". Heck, the section they handled on the Batman: Gotham Knight, "Have I Got a Story for You" was really the only one that stuck with me. I have to say, as excited as I am to see pretty much my favorite manga of all time in yet another form... I'm a big fan of traditional animation, and the 3D is looking... very odd to me. So far, aside from a few shots, what I've seen so far doesn't have the same vitality as their other work. Granted, it is supposed to be a more a more realistic, detailed style with quite a lot of importance placed on being on-model.. still- I can't help but wonder if it's the 3D animation's fault?...The shots of Casca and Guts looking like odd... videogame stills are especially alarming, as is the shot of Guts with his oddly-textured, non-texture-matching old helmet.

I think I'm mostly feeling confused because I've seen 3D work with 2D animation pretty well- take for example, as some have said, the Hellsing Ultimate series. I was at first skeptical of their use of 3D, but I was pleasantly surprised when I actually started buying the DVDs and watching them. It's been mostly just effects, vehicles, and weaponry in 3D- and it looks pretty good! I can't quite grasp why the new Berserk is looking less seamless than Hellsing Ultimate. My best guess so far from what I've seen is the treatment of the 3D objects- great care was taken so that the weapons, for instance, would imitate the "line weight" of the character animation. Not only that, sometimes they gave the objects a wavering, inky looking outline that further made them feel like they fit with the flat animation. Although I can't find any samples offhand, they went so far as to sometimes add a cross-hatching look for the shading that imitates the artist's original style/the animation's style. Hellsing ultimate is far from seamless, with occasional animation weirdness going on or ugly digital smoke, ugly cg object now and then ect ect but it's still far better at adapting the Mangas than the old TV show (like Berserk though, the good old music was sacrificed for better adaptation....)
Random quick examples below:
exampleso.jpg

So- the stills with heavy CG work strike me as being far less integrated somehow. Granted, some looks better with movement, and there's likely lots of good stuff we're not going to get to see until it comes out.

I'm simply wondering why Berserk can't do a similar thing to Hellsing? Perhaps it has to do with budgeting of some kind, (isn't this a theatrical film though?...) or the fact that the figures themselves have been just a little too simplified/ distanced from the drawing style of the manga?...

The 3D bits of the Berserk film so far are sticking out so very much- I can't ignore it no matter how hard I try. It's weirding me out- and I don't want to be weirded out about this. Speaking as someone who has done a bit of traditional animation in the past, I totally understand why it is easier on the poor animators to do very solid objects such as armor, weaponry, vehicles, ect ect as 3D objects, but I just don't understand why they're also doing some quite strange looking 3D work with the figures themselves. Don't get me wrong, I'm still friggin' bouncing-off-the-walls-excited to see it. I am gleeful to get more Berserk material- and I will likely buy it or go see it or what have you. I am just afraid of it feeling awkward and lifeless and disappointing- something Miura's work never does on paper. This isn't quite a complaint, this is more me, as an artist, wondering about their decisions.
I am confused about WHAT will be adapted and if it will have the same present, past, then present again timeline- but that's a different question : /

Anyhow, I suppose it's just a real tribute to how amazingly driven and detailed Miura is- a whole gaggle of animators can't hope to compete with him! :griffnotevil:
Here's to hoping it will all pull together to be something not painful to watch!

Sorry again for butting in here with my blah blah blah- that's my two cents for now. I promise not to post a lot around here- no worries, please!

Griffith

Eluvei said:
todus said:

todus said:
I'm just going to take it for what it is and be happy we are getting anything at all. I'd rather not bitch, moan, and criticize

Embrace pedestrianism, SK.net!

You left out my favorite part:

todus said:
I'm just going to take it for what it is and be happy we are getting anything at all. I'd rather not bitch, moan, and criticize; and end up jinxing anything.

If we say a bad word about it, we'll bring down a curse on the whole thing! :magni: :schnoz:

noevil.jpg

P.S. Welcome to the board, Alk. You couldn't have posted that 42 seconds later? :guts:

I was wondering, if they don't show the "right" sword during the Guts/Griffith duel on that snow field, then it's possible that Boscone will be out of the story since it's against him that Guts breaks his sword... If that so it's a great loss IMO :judo:

Alk

Lurker Artist
Ack! I'm sorry! But thanks, Griffith! I've been lurking here for... probably over two years, so I suppose it's high time I posted?

Also, as for everyone who is worried about the levels of criticism- I don't think it's really fair to simply say it's "bitching, moaning and criticizing". Maybe I'm way off here, and that's fine- but I think we're all excited, and we're all huge fans of Berserk- and we want to see the source material treated well. Certainly people are passionate about what they think and hope in this awesome and scary situation. I think it all stems from love of Miura's work.

Personally, as with movies, I completely recognize that animation is a totally different art form than sequential art. It's like when they adapt books into movies- there will be big sacrifices, it will be a different creature in the end, and all we can hope is that it has the same spirit and keeps as true as it logically can be to the original, given the completely different medium.

Theoden- I noticed that too, and wondered the same thing. I'm going to have to stop speculating though- it's really confusing me as to what will actually BE in this first film. If the first few mangas are being skipped/put somewhere else, who knows what else they'll change?

Alright, well I'm sure you guys think I'm annoying as hell now, don't worry, I wont post much more.

I agree with the 3d models looking weird though, its almost if they don't have as much depth. Like the frames where Guts and Casca are attacking towards the camera, they only have two shades of color, and they are blobs, not highlights where the bridge of their noses, cheekbone, etc are.

Take for instance here. 2d Guts has a 3 color skin palette, while CG Guts has 2; combine that with the fact that his helmet has probably 20+ colors(All black/gray-ish) in the palette because it wasn't colored to match a 2D drawing, and you have one awkward visual presentation.

2dguts.jpg

cgguts.jpg

Alk said:
This isn't quite a complaint, this is more me, as an artist, wondering about their decisions.

Yeah, I've been meaning to ask someone over here, but is CGI really that much cheaper than to hire a bunch of notable key animators to create wonderfully animated sequences for the movie? I keep seeing people speculating that this 3D thing is all about the budget instead of an honest to god decision to try and make the movie look beautiful, but I really don't know.

Eluvei said:
Yeah, I've been meaning to ask someone over here, but is CGI really that much cheaper than to hire a bunch of notable key animators to create wonderfully animated sequences for the movie? I keep seeing people speculating that this 3D thing is all about the budget instead of an honest to god decision to try and make the movie look beautiful, but I really don't know.

Well in some cases CG can save money. For example if you were to animate Guts berserker armor from scratch with 2D that would probably be a lot more expensive than just animating the armor with CG. Madhouse realized this and therefore animated most of Iron Man's armor in that anime with CG, but in important scenes where they wanted fluidity they switched back to doing in traditionally.

But I actually asked Bruce Timm about this question before when he was talking about the new CG Green Lantern series. He said that 2D is actually less expensive most of the time, but producers LOVE the IDEA of 3D and think that the public prefers computer animation as opposed to drawn stuff. It seems the Japanese are less into this idea, but some of them must like it because it's being squeezed into a lot of stuff like in Tiger and Bunny, where all the armor and even a good number of the characters are done in CG.

But then again I've heard that the anime [C] sometimes switched to cell shaded 3D characters because they didn't have the money to pay to traditionally animate everything. So really it's a toss up. Mechanical objects, armor, and sometimes characters are cheaper to do in CG, but characters themselves are usually cheaper in 2D.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Theoden said:
I was wondering, if they don't show the "right" sword during the Guts/Griffith duel on that snow field, then it's possible that Boscone will be out of the story since it's against him that Guts breaks his sword... If that so it's a great loss IMO :judo:
I don't see how that could possibly be left out, it was an extremely important battle. Not to mention, Zodd throwing Guts his sword and Guts chopping Boscone and his horse's heads off was one of the best scenes in Berserk. So they'd better not even think of leaving that shit out.

But honestly, that battle started a very big storyline so I cannot imagine how they would possibly omit it.

Griffith

Theoden said:

It would be an absolute abortion, and would certainly change my positive attitude regarding this project. Hopefully, if they don't fix the design of the sword, it'll just be that he got an identical one. Bleh, I feel dirty, moving on...

Alk said:
Ack! I'm sorry! But thanks, Griffith! I've been lurking here for... probably over two years, so I suppose it's high time I posted?

No worries, and judging by your first two posts you should have started sooner. :daiba:

todus said:
Alright, well I'm sure you guys think I'm annoying as hell now, don't worry, I wont post much more.

He said before writing his most constructive post! :ganishka: I don't mind if you post more like that. :griffnotevil:

CCS said:
But then again I've heard that the anime [C] sometimes switched to cell shaded 3D characters because they didn't have the money to pay to traditionally animate everything. So really it's a toss up. Mechanical objects, armor, and sometimes characters are cheaper to do in CG, but characters themselves are usually cheaper in 2D.

It sounds like even if 2D is cheaper for one scene, in the long run you get more bang for your buck with CG. Plus, however much cheaper it is to maintain an image of high quality animation with CG than to actually draw it all. Basically, it's like you're buying high quality scenes in bulk with CG, at the loss of getting the highest quality buying each scene individually in 2D, if that makes sense.

DarkDragoon said:
I don't see how that could possibly be left out, it was an extremely important battle. Not to mention, Zodd throwing Guts his sword and Guts chopping Boscone and his horse's heads off was one of the best scenes in Berserk. So they'd better not even think of leaving that shit out.

But honestly, that battle started a very big storyline so I cannot imagine how they would possibly omit it.

Yeah, it would call every decision about this project into question, just like cutting Puck, Skull Knight, Wyald, and Silat in the '97 anime in favor of almost three episodes worth of filler material.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
I think if Guts' outfit and sword were correct in that scene, I probably wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with it honestly. I think the enormous inaccuracy makes me want to criticize everything else. So if that is corrected for the final version, which it better be, I will be happy I'm sure.
Truder said:
Guts having the wrong sword is the only thing that is bugging me. everything else I could live with.

Glad to see that some people haven't lost sight of what matters here. When I read some posts it's like the guys wouldn't mind if Guts & Griffith had their roles reversed. "Details!"

Alk said:
Ack- Hello all. Although I made an account early last year, I'm a longtime lurker. [...] Sorry again for butting in here with my blah blah blah- that's my two cents for now. I promise not to post a lot around here- no worries, please!

Hey, welcome Alk! Please, don't be sorry for posting your thoughts. That's what this forum is for. Articulate discourse from reasonable and knowledgeable people is always appreciated. Rather I'd like you to post more often, if only to comment from time to time.

Alk said:
So far, aside from a few shots, what I've seen so far doesn't have the same vitality as their other work. Granted, it is supposed to be a more a more realistic, detailed style with quite a lot of importance placed on being on-model.. still- I can't help but wonder if it's the 3D animation's fault?...The shots of Casca and Guts looking like odd... videogame stills are especially alarming, as is the shot of Guts with his oddly-textured, non-texture-matching old helmet.

It may be wishful thinking, but like I said earlier perhaps the footage we've seen thus far isn't fully finished yet. After all there's still 6 months to go until the movie comes out. Still, if it's in the official trailer...

Alk said:
(like Berserk though, the good old music was sacrificed for better adaptation....)

Let's not start dissing the movie's OST before we hear it. I want to believe it will do the series justice. And I certainly won't miss hearing "Tell Me Why" during the opening credits. :iva:

Alk said:
I am confused about WHAT will be adapted and if it will have the same present, past, then present again timeline- but that's a different question : /

A more important question as far as I'm concerned. Faithfulness to the manga will make or break this animation project in the long run.

Theoden said:

Yeah I mentioned that something like 10 pages ago. Don't worry though, I highly doubt they'll remove Boscone from the story. It'd be ridiculous.

Alk said:
Also, as for everyone who is worried about the levels of criticism- I don't think it's really fair to simply say it's "bitching, moaning and criticizing". Maybe I'm way off here, and that's fine- but I think we're all excited, and we're all huge fans of Berserk- and we want to see the source material treated well. Certainly people are passionate about what they think and hope in this awesome and scary situation. I think it all stems from love of Miura's work.

No, you're perfectly right. Noticing inaccuracies and being worried about them, or questioning the quality of the footage in general is perfectly normal. People aren't sheep who eat everything that's put in front of them without thinking. We're excited to see the movie because we're expecting it to be great. Every default it might have is therefore going to be a source of disappointment.

todus said:

It's just that so far, save for your latest post that redeems you, you've been a whiner complaining about what others are saying without bringing anything interesting to the table, and essentially coming across as not giving a shit about Berserk; telling us that we should be grateful to be getting anything at all (as if Berserk wasn't a very popular and lucrative series that more than deserved this adaptation) like that excused any bad treatment the series might receive.

Yeah this is a forum by Berserk fans for Berserk fans, so we do care a lot about how good this adaptation will be. Big surprise. And we do look at every little detail too, whoa who could have seen that coming. :schierke: Although please note that the main character using the correct sword and wearing the correct armor isn't actually a "small detail" at all. It's not like we're talking about what emblem is on the shield of some nameless soldier in the background. And these inaccuracies occur in a lot of the material we've seen so far (Zodd's horns still don't have the right shape in the trailer, for those interested), hence the worry. I'm not even touching on the visual aspect (quality of 3D) since that's what everybody's talking about already, but you get the idea. So yeah, you can post if you want, but mind your tone and keep in mind that people around here want the best adaptation ever (rightfully so) and are giving this whole thing a lot of thought. More than you are. I can't speak for others, but maybe this is one of the animated films you're looking forward to the most in January 2012. Personally it's the only animated movie I've cared about in a decade. So you'll forgive me for being meticulous.

Griffith said:
Hopefully, if they don't fix the design of the sword, it'll just be that he got an identical one. Bleh, I feel dirty, moving on...

Yeah, and he got an identical armor too! Same with all other occurrences in the other scenes we saw. How do you feel now? :azan:

Griffith said:
It sounds like even if 2D is cheaper for one scene, in the long run you get more bang for your buck with CG. Plus, however much cheaper it is to maintain an image of high quality animation with CG than to actually draw it all. Basically, it's like you're buying high quality scenes in bulk with CG, at the loss of getting the highest quality buying each scene individually in 2D, if that makes sense.

Simply said, I think you can very conveniently reuse a 3D model in many different scenes. That's a huge gain of time (and time is money :carcus:) compared to redrawing it every time, especially for a project like Berserk that could last for years and years. And for action scenes 3D allows for a lot of smoothness as well since there's no need to redraw the model in each frame.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Walter said:
Yep. Ewok grabbed the original Flash .flv file allowing me to screen capture it at high resolution. It's MUUUUUCH more pretty, and several more details are evident. Here's the best of the best screens:

http://skullknight.net/images/anime-screens/berserkanimeHQ-15.jpg
http://skullknight.net/images/anime-screens/berserkanimeHQ-15b.jpg

Oh dear. Bagserk fans are going to be up in arms about the continuity errors in these images! :magni:

syl4Hl.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Oh dear. Bagserk fans are going to be up in arms about the continuity errors in these images! :magni:

Wouldn't it rather be fans of Casca, Judo, Pippin, Rickert & Carcus? They're the ones not pictured in those shots. :iva:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I never claimed Bagserk fans' priorities made sense. But now you mention it... they are kind of missing. Early days, yet.

Perhaps they are beginning with the Golden Age arc for the cinematic releases because it is not as dark and contains less violence, sex and rape than other story arcs. So in order to be "faithful to the manga" and not tone it down or censor it, they postpone as much of that stuff as possible for the OVAs?

If that's the case, and they show it chronologically, then perhaps it'll be possible to make a fan-edit of the material that simply places everything in the order of the manga. Heck, even without an edit it might be possible to just watch a later OVA release of the early Black Swordsman arc before watching the Golden Age if they don't start mixing it up too much.

Don't have much else to comment on this. Need to see the first movie before I make up my mind about this thing. So far it looks okay I guess, but I'm honestly too tired of the Golden Age stuff to care much right now. Maybe that will change though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A.C said:
Perhaps they are beginning with the Golden Age arc for the cinematic releases because it is not as dark and contains less violence, sex and rape than other story arcs. So in order to be "faithful to the manga" and not tone it down or censor it, they postpone as much of that stuff as possible for the OVAs?

It could be, though the Golden Age arc actually contains far more "rape" than the Black Swordsman arc does.

A.C said:
Heck, even without an edit it might be possible to just watch a later OVA release of the early Black Swordsman arc before watching the Golden Age if they don't start mixing it up too much.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
In these trailers and test footages, we've seen Guts as a mercenary, Guts as a raider with the Falcons, Guts after he left the Falcons. All the instances of Guts in the Golden Age except ... Guts as a child. Is it too early to be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom