BERSERK: RECUT (ベルセルク:再切断)

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Re: Old Berserk animation series confirmed: Berserk Recut

Are you allowed to download movies from there? Because I can't figure it out. T_T

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight

Truder said:
Are you allowed to download movies from there? Because I can't figure it out. T_T
Basically on fanedit.org the deal is, you must own your own copy of the edited material, and you are provided with the means to download the fanedit. Usually using torrents or filehosting aggregators. Last thing I picked up there was The Recobbled Cut, a resurrected version of the awesomely trippy but gutted-and-Disneyfied-for-release The Thief and the Cobbler. That one was hosted as billionty Rapidshare files, which I d/l'd with JDownloader. If anyone would like help using the site just PM me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Thanks for the feedback all, sorry I've been away. Here's another morsel:

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/wWO6FYUOiGg[/flash]
Zodd!

This one is rougher than the last and well behind where the current edit of this episode stands, but if you're curious and familiar with the original episode, then juxtapose it with this and the manga. This portion is what made me realize how really different the details of even the seemingly faithful scenes were, and the potential to workably restore them to the manga's direction.

Walter said:
I like the modest direction you've taken so far, with editing out the portions that don't line up with the manga. Moving forward, I think you should really think seriously about the scope of the project, if you haven't already. Will this thing have a complete runtime of 90 min, or 500? By cutting the fat, I think you could, on average, shorten each episode to around 15 minutes or so, making the entire 25 episode run about 375 minutes. Anything shorter than that might feel a little rushed, like, say if you tried to make it into a feature length film.

Yeah, indecisiveness on that front has slowed me down before (there was even more elaborate ideas I was doing on the side when I'd get bored of straight editing, like editing it to be from Griffith's POV =), but right now I'm going with the longform approach where I use whatever I can to best piece together what's there of the manga (BTW, that's exactly the average time I had in mind for cutting down each episode, 15 minutes). I figure once i finish that, I can always go from big to small later, like a movie, which would at the very least mean tightening my standards even more (bye bye Puckless Black Swordsman, two-legged Gambino, and Zodd getting stabbed in the chest).

Walter said:
Another thing, you should really consider smoothing transitions between scenes, particularly when it's a transition you fabricated for the purpose of the project. A suggestion to remedy these transitions is to take ambient audio samples from lulls in conversation to be used as background static. You can pair these SFX with static or looped visuals in order to lengthen a scene that feels like it ends too abruptly as a result of necessary trimming.

Yeah, it's a tricky balance trying to tighten things up but still letting them breath. I'm still trying to gauge out how much of it is subjective on my part alone. Cuts that seemed abrupt at first eventually felt normal, and the original agonizingly long in some cases, like the scene had already breathed, and then it was just stalling out. You guys are obviously noticing cuts that feel weird, though, so it's something I'll pay more attention to if it can be helped.

On a releated subject, in most cases I've cut out loops or redundant visuals. There's already no same sword strike being shown three times in a row for effect in this edit (see Gambino's first kill in the the first example video), or sloppy repeating animations for fight scenes. My mentality has been the tighter the better, especially at this lengths.

Eluvei said:
This is a very promising project, you should keep it up!

Aren't there any situations where editing stuff out (or changing the order of the scenes) makes the dialogue completely nonsensical? I'm talking specifically about the dialogue, not the significance of the scene or where it fits better in the context of the anime, like you already made clear to JezzaX. I think you'll be very lucky if you can simply "cut the fat" out of small scenes and get away with it making complete sense in Japanese. Maybe it makes sense when you see the subs, but only because they've adapted the dialogue, so you better have someone check it out before you completely trust the original subs.

Also, if you plan on making new subtitles to bring it closer to the manga, you really gotta have someone that knows Japanese check this out, because simply subbing something different than what the character is saying would also be pretty bad, in my opinion. It'd be assuming everyone that'd watch it simply doesn't know Japanese and would accept adapted, or totally different subtitles. Obviously, I'm referring to bigger changes, not simple correction of names. I think the dialogue could be a pretty big problem later on if you don't be careful now.

Great points all, I tried to avoid that for the most part, there's only a couple of instances I can think of where I made cuts in the middle of dialogue (and it was things with a pronounced pause between lines, so it's not like I tried ignorantly editing a word within a sentence) but I'll really have to go back and check on them with someone to be sure they make sense. That's one problem with doing this myself, I'm plain not qualified to do it all myself. If there's going to be a sub, I'm going to need help, but first thing's first, just getting a raw done (I can always take the ultra-purist approach, precluding subbing, but that would certainly cut down on its casual appeal =).

Eluvei said:
And I don't think inserting Puck in there would do it any good, to be honest. It'd stand out too much.

It'd be a miracle if it didn't, yeah.

Eluvei said:
Anyway, this is really great. I hope you realize you can't stop now. It's too late, we're all looking forward to it. :guts:

That's half the reason I posted about it, pressure's on now! :griffnotevil:

Ramen4ever said:
At first I thought you went off the deep end, Griff. Until I read into what you were dong I thought this was akin to a Star Wars nut trying to create a life-size replica of a star destroyer. lol well, maybe a little less preposterous. :ganishka:

I like your attention to detail, but I wouldn't cut something completely if it's just at a different time than in the manga. It happened, so it has a place. It just might not be possible to cut it to when it should play. Of course you can't be 100% accurate, as the animation itself isn't accurate. As shown right off the bat when Guts throws the knife into the surviving mercenaries shoulder in the tavern, as opposed to shooting an arrow through his nose. Small alterations like that can't be cut. Or the scenes stop making sense. (Does your cut of all the episodes make sense?)

Yeah, I'm very conscious of that, though once something gets moved to a different scene, and especially a totally new scene, it goes on the chopping block. I see that as different from purely superficial differences such as whether Guts stabs someone in the shoulder or in the nose. Also, considering the aim of the project and what it starts with, if Puck, Skull Knight, Silat, and Wyald can be cut, so can a bastardized monologue that's themes are explored more faithfully in numerous other instances. Like I said though, I plan to do it as best as I can keeping everything I can intact.

Ramen4ever said:
I think it's a very interesting and rather ambitious project you got going. Not to mention respectable. One of the killer problems with the anime has always been the shitcream filler. I wouldn't mind watching a 4-6 hour long version of the anime. No fillers, less extended still shots with nothing but sound and music, and recut to be in a more recognizable order.

Good luck.

Thank you, that's what I'm aiming for.

CowTip said:
So I hate to be a stick in the mud, but what's the legality of distributing something like this? I realize there's certain laws behind creative freedoms with licenses as long as you're not profiting etc., but torrenting out entire parts of the anime seems sort of questionable to me.

Good question, when I had it in mind to make it into a movie I was thinking torrent, which has its issues as you allude to, but I've found that uploading to youtube is pretty easy and secure for this (I can always leave them unlisted and post links on the board, insulate it from unscrupulous pirates and authorities alike. The way I'm editing and outputting the videos, it's easier that way than trying to piece them altogether into one giant 3-6 hour video anyway, so I might just go with that, if nobody has a good reason not to.

Hey Griff, i really enjoyed the clips. I have to admit that i haven't watched the anime, because i only heard bad things about it, so i can't really compare it to your project. Judging from the clips, i would love to see it finish. Good work there mate :guts:

Griffith

Griffith said:
Speaking of which, I just watched Guts raising hell in the tavern in black and white and it looked pretty cool. :guts:

Just in case you thought I was kidding...

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/A4srASj1qTQ[/flash]

I got your Femto, and every other, color fix right here!​

I implore everyone to put this in full screen 480p and give it a look, even if you already watched the first video. This is the most recent edit of this part, it's only eight minutes long, and it's fun if you like Berserk and old movies. I also want serious feedback on the black and white (love it or hate, you better tell me; at the moment I'm not inclined to do it for the long haul). I think that no matter how Berserk Recut ultimately comes out, I'm going to do a 2-3 hour Golden Age movie in this style afterward. :SK:

Great edit. Felt a little short, but I suppose it'd be filled with... well, filler, if it wasn't this way. I have no complaints for now, but I'll make sure to watch it again later.

About the black and white, to be honest, it didn't cut it for me. Maybe it's because the saturation gave away that you decolored something that had... colors (am i redundant today), with things like the blood (too light grey, should have been darker; I'm sure you noticed) and other details like the Snake Baron himself, he looked a little bleak. I think overall it just didn't look so good.

The idea is great, (the name of the video too) but I think that because of the way the anime was colored, removing the color information takes away too much of its vivacity. Not that it's full of life or anything, but you know what I mean. :void:

This is a fantastic project you have here, so many opportunities to get it right. Excellent job so far. Couple of questions for you.

I'm really wondering what you're going to do regarding SK and the original (abrupt) ending of the anime? Are you going to be cutting down on Adon and his shenanigans? Please say you are.

Indeed this is a nice project you have started, So far what I have seen is very well edited and alot more enjoyable to watch as well. Hope to see more :)

Have you seen Watchmen: The motion comic? It's simply the art from the comic, with minor edits and added effects to give it a more cinematic feel. The main problem with it is there is only one voice actor doing every character, including the women. Because of this fatal flaw, I couldn't take it seriously at all. But otherwise it was actually really well done, the music was even really cool. Personally, I think that's the only way to go about a project like this. Just cutting up the anime and changing things around doesn't really work, I'd prefer the uncut original anime over this any day. But we can all agree that the manga is by far superior to the anime, so why not just do something like a motion comic? Like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PE22PP4lKw , only with voice acting/music and in sequential order. Only if someone does it, please God don't do all the voices by yourself. Even a bunch of amatuers would be better than nothing, and still probably not too far off from the English dubbing in the anime (though I do think the English voice-actors are quite fitting)

Griffith

BERSERK: RECUT

Eluvei said:
Great edit. Felt a little short, but I suppose it'd be filled with... well, filler, if it wasn't this way. I have no complaints for now, but I'll make sure to watch it again later.

Thanks, any specific feedback is appreciated, it's already been a big help just on some of the edits of that first episode. Though, I did skirt the line of editing dialogue again between the Snake Baron and the Mayor. I sure hope those subtitles were accurate and in order. =) Maybe someone could call me out on that though if there's any gibberish to ears that can hear Japanese? The current edit of their conversation appears in the Black & White video above a few of minutes in.

Eluvei said:
About the black and white, to be honest, it didn't cut it for me. Maybe it's because the saturation gave away that you decolored something that had... colors (am i redundant today), with things like the blood (too light grey, should have been darker; I'm sure you noticed) and other details like the Snake Baron himself, he looked a little bleak. I think overall it just didn't look so good.

The idea is great, (the name of the video too) but I think that because of the way the anime was colored, removing the color information takes away too much of its vivacity. Not that it's full of life or anything, but you know what I mean. :void:

Yeah, I know what you mean, just because you take the color out of a video, doesn't make it "black and white." The worst thing is indeed the blood, and even that aside I don't know how long even I'd want to stare at this in grayscale. I do however like how it works at lot of the time too, it covers up a multitude of sins and can breath life into even some of the worse looking scenes and shots and make them interesting, as well as making the whole thing more unique from the original anime. Like I said, it's probably best reserved for a shorter side project after I finish this.

PublicEnemy said:
I say do the movie project in Black and White first.

I'm tempted, believe me, I'd love to just go to work and pump out a tight 2-3 hour Berserk flick for fun, but I feel like that's going about it the wrong way. I mean, I might as well do all the available footage while I have it ready. Anyway, once that's done, it would just make doing any smaller side-projects easier since all that "raw footage" would already be edited to the standard I'm aiming for, and if anything, I'd get more conservative on what I wouldn't allow.

Henry Spencer said:
This is a fantastic project you have here, so many opportunities to get it right. Excellent job so far.

Thank you very much, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Henry Spencer said:
Couple of questions for you. I'm really wondering what you're going to do regarding SK and the original (abrupt) ending of the anime?

Short answer, I don't really know that I should do anything about them. I can't add more to the ending, and there's no point in doing less either except for time. As for Skully, well... we'll see, there are more options now. :SK:

Henry Spencer said:
Are you going to be cutting down on Adon and his shenanigans? Please say you are.

Most definitely, this could just as well be called the "Adon Cutout" project. No Adon material will appear that wasn't directly adapted from the manga. :guts:

Skullgrin140 said:
Indeed this is a nice project you have started, So far what I have seen is very well edited and alot more enjoyable to watch as well. Hope to see more :)

Thanks, more coming soon. :slan:

aufond said:
Have you seen Watchmen: The motion comic? It's simply the art from the comic, with minor edits and added effects to give it a more cinematic feel. The main problem with it is there is only one voice actor doing every character, including the women. Because of this fatal flaw, I couldn't take it seriously at all. But otherwise it was actually really well done, the music was even really cool.

Sounds like a good execution except for the voice actor thing. I have problems with the idea itself though, like the fact that Watchmen was intended to so specifically take advantage of the comic book medium. Also, if it's the comic read and in "motion," why not just actually read the comic at that point? I don't see the point, it's a no-man's land between the original comic and a true adaption.

aufond said:
Personally, I think that's the only way to go about a project like this. Just cutting up the anime and changing things around doesn't really work, I'd prefer the uncut original anime over this any day.

Well, that's not a project like this really, they're quite different undertakings. Can you at least tell me why you don't think it works as far as the anime specifically? I don't really see why one would prefer non-canon Adon filler or the quasi-molestation of Collete, unless you mean this cut simply doesn't work as far as bringing the manga itself to life, which is certainly true. First and foremost though, this is a project about the anime, making it more true to the manga, not necessarily about the best way for trying to adapt the manga in general or really bring it to life. I don't think that can be done better than the manga does it, personally. Anyway, it's a fine distinction, but this is still an anime project at its foundation, not a manga project.

aufond said:
But we can all agree that the manga is by far superior to the anime, so why not just do something like a motion comic? Like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PE22PP4lKw , only with voice acting/music and in sequential order. Only if someone does it, please God don't do all the voices by yourself. Even a bunch of amatuers would be better than nothing, and still probably not too far off from the English dubbing in the anime (though I do think the English voice-actors are quite fitting)

That's the thing though, we agree there's nothing wrong with the manga, and so I actually wouldn't mess with it in this fashion at all. That's trampling on sacred ground to me, which is what the anime kind of does in the first place, and why I have no qualms about doing whatever with it. Sort of like, it's already a bastardization, so it doesn't matter what you do to it, and if anything, maybe it can actually be salvaged so that it's at least less blasphemous or a truer adaptation overall. That's where the impetus for this project comes from. If you don't feel that way about it though, this may just not be for you.

Expect parts 1 and 2 of Berserk Recut next weekend, tentatively October 15th, then a schedule of either one a week, or every other week, depending on the release schedule of the current manga episodes.

UPDATE - BERSERK: RECUT parts 1 & 2 going live tomorrow, Friday, October 15th! :griffnotevil:

Re: BERSERK: RECUT

Griffith said:
UPDATE - BERSERK: RECUT parts 1 & 2 going live tomorrow, Friday, October 15th! :griffnotevil:
Can't wait, really excited to see what you've done with the anime :isidro:
Just a question, in your post you mention about the conversation between the Major and the Snake Baron and about those subtitles being accurate. Will Berserk: Recut have any subtitles ?? Or do you consider eventually adding some subtitles to it ?

Griffith

As promised, BERSERK: RECUT (ベルセルク:再切断) parts 1 & 2, which I've also updated the OP with, and will continue to do with each release. You can also find links to each part in my sig.

BERSERK: RECUT (ベルセルク:再切断)

PART I:

BERSERK: RECUT (ベルセルク:再切断) 1
URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zlsbpYogrY

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/7zlsbpYogrY[/flash]

PART II:

BERSERK: RECUT (ベルセルク:再切断) 2
URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zlsbpYogrY

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/tCc76kkdJQk[/flash]​

Rus said:
Just a question, in your post you mention about the conversation between the Major and the Snake Baron and about those subtitles being accurate. Will Berserk: Recut have any subtitles ?? Or do you consider eventually adding some subtitles to it ?

At first it's going to be raw and pure (slan), but I'm definitely considering subtitles down the road. I consider it an evolving project, editing all this footage is enough, adding subs is like another project in itself.

Awesome work , i really like it. I actually watched the whole part 1 without understanding a word
I am looking forward to see more of this stuff :guts:

Griffith

Rus said:
Awesome work , i really like it. I actually watched the whole part 1 without understanding a word
I am looking forward to see more of this stuff :guts:

Thanks for watching, I'm looking forward to posting more. I'll space out releases by at least a week so it's not overwhelming for me or for you guys.

Griffith said:
Thanks for watching, I'm looking forward to posting more. I'll space out releases by at least a week so it's not overwhelming for me or for you guys.

So far so good Griff. I can't wait to see more, keep up the great work. :casca:

Griffith

Eluvei said:
This is what I'm gonna show people in order to introduce them to Berserk.

Wow, highest praise, thanks Eluvei. Interestingly enough, and I've mentioned this before, my first direct exposure to Berserk, other than hearing about it, was watching the anime in Japanese with Chinese subtitles. It was certainly a different experience, something I hadn't done before and haven't since with any anime or foreign film (until this project I guess), and it added a lot of surreality to it, like some parts seemed like psychedelic abstract art house stuff, particularly the Eclipse. The closing moments with Guts, Casca, and Femto, the deep reds, olive greens and Beherit playing in what was truly an alien scene living up to Slan's description, which I couldn't know at the time, are etched into my mind, like I was witnessing something first hand rather than watching a story. Pretty affecting experience, and my first permanent memory of Berserk, and so here I am all these years later.

UPDATE:

Griffith said:
An interesting example ... in the anime is right before Guts is first promoted in the Hawks (when Rickert knocks him in the water). In the manga, before that happens, he has a lengthy inner monologue about the aim of his life since leaving Gambino, and Griffith's ambition. In the anime, the monologue isn't there, but portions of it appear in an expanded scene of Guts riding into battle, where we also see his flashbacks of Gambino ... it's a quandary: there's technically a scene where Guts rides into battle in the manga, before it flashes forward three years, and that dialogue is technically in the manga as well, just in a different part, so do I leave it in, just in a different spot, or not? It's not that much out of order, but you could argue it drastically changes the significance of both scenes, maybe worse than the anime originally did. ... my motto in difficult cases like this is, "when in doubt, cut it out."

Ramen4ever said:
I like your attention to detail, but I wouldn't cut something completely if it's just at a different time than in the manga. It happened, so it has a place. It just might not be possible to cut it to when it should play.

Last night I bit the bullet and finally solved this problem with a little sound editing. I was reticent on the subject before because I didn't want to open up that can of worms for the whole project, but this was a unique situation and I don't really think it's called for elsewhere. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the results and hope you all will be too.

Sound editing? :isidro:

I hope you know what you're getting yourself into Griffith.

As far as the two parts: I just watched them. It's good, even without subtitles. And for the most part it makes sense. Though I can't help but laugh every time I see Guts walking in the rain. And then Bam out of nowhere he shoots some guy in the head with a crossbow. lol :troll:

Griffith

Back with PART TROIS: Guts vs. Griffith II! :guts:

PART III:

BERSERK: RECUT (ベルセルク:再切断) 3
URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmsv6kFxUh4

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/wmsv6kFxUh4[/flash]

Releases should be on a regular weekly schedule from now on, so check back every Friday for the next part! :daiba:

Ramen4ever said:
Sound editing? :isidro:

I hope you know what you're getting yourself into Griffith.

Yeah, I don't want to go through the whole thing again thinking about places I could adjust the sound, music, etc. I already tried too much on the one sound edit I made (just to try pushing it), and went back to the simple one. It works, and it's the one time it was really called for and feasible.

Griffith said:
Back with PART TROIS: Guts vs. Griffith II! :guts:

Very nice. The only time I noticed a cut is when Guts charges at Griffith at 7:18, but maybe it's originally like that. Guts' theme is playing in the background and it stops way too suddenly. Great job overall, looking forward to the next part.

For what it is, I think this anime looks very good, the sceneries and everything. I hadn't noticed it when I first watched.

Griffith

Eluvei said:
Very nice. The only time I noticed a cut is when Guts charges at Griffith at 7:18, but maybe it's originally like that. Guts' theme is playing in the background and it stops way too suddenly.

Yeah... it wasn't originally like that. :guts:

The part with Guts' theme playing was the end of episode 2 and then the footage without music is where the scene picks up in episode 3, I had to decide whether to try and have it directly transition like that or do a dissolve which would get rid of the abrupt musical ending, but is also kind of weird in the middle of the same scene. So, neither was really perfect, and I went with the former because as abruptly as the music stops, it's at least on cue with the fight starting whereas there's no reason for that dissolve (though it might have been less noticeable to some). Anyway, I thought the audio issue was less wrong than the video one.

Eluvei said:
For what it is, I think this anime looks very good, the sceneries and everything. I hadn't noticed it when I first watched.

Agreed, I came to appreciate a lot of things about the anime during this project; which, might seem like a referendum on it at first, but also a way to highlight its redemptive features.

Top Bottom