URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzzu7C_5GAE

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/Mzzu7C_5GAE[/flash]

Now things are really getting hot! :carcus:

Previously:
Part I
Part II
Part III

Ramen4ever said:
Very nice. The only thing that stood out to me in part III is what Eluvei already mentioned, the music cut.
Gobolatula said:
Great work, Griff.

Thanks guys, and let me know if you catch any other oddities, I can always fix 'em later if they're egregious enough (especially something that's plain not supposed to be in there like a rogue frame or sound blip).

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
This really brings me back. When I first saw this series, something funny jumped out at me. How Griffith would ruin these perfectly sweet moments by saying to Guts, "I OWN YOU. YOU BELONG TO ME."

Which original anime episode are we up to now? You're doing a great job Griffs

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm ahead of schedule, there's a new episode out, and it's Friday in Japan so what the Hell! :badbone:

PART V:

BERSERK: RECUT (ベルセルク:再切断) 5
URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od3hh4zIS4M

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/Od3hh4zIS4M[/flash]

Next Time: ZODD! :zodd:

Also, this part has the infamous SOUND EDIT at the start, which isn't perfect but got the job done, and enjoy an even better music dropout later.

IncantatioN said:
Spiffy Griffith. I just went from 1 through 4 of your videos.

Thanks IncantatioN, hope you enjoy the rest as well!

Gobolatula said:
This really brings me back. When I first saw this series, something funny jumped out at me. How Griffith would ruin these perfectly sweet moments by saying to Guts, "I OWN YOU. YOU BELONG TO ME."

Haha, he warned him! "You should have known. This is the man I am. You, of all people." :griffnotevil:

Gobolatula said:
Which original anime episode are we up to now? You're doing a great job Griffs

Part IV goes up to... episode 4, coincidentally. Though we already saw most of the second half of episode 4 in parts 1 & 2, and part V span portions of episodes 4, 5, and 6. :void:

"Cool Beans!"

You've surprised me at the end of this one, I was sure it'd end abruptly when they were afraid of Zodd, but it ended up with a nice, fitting cliffhanger. Great edit again.

Unrelated to your work, an only off-putting thing is that some knights' and even the king's cape colors were way too vivid compared to the rest of the anime, but I guess if I start complaining about terrible color choices, I'll go insane. And Gaston's voice is not like I imagined at all; I think he should sound a little more mature and humble. Gaston is my favorite regular dude.

Man I love watching these recuts. It puts my editing to shame. :farnese: And as Eluvei I like how you ended part V. Now get on with part VI. :azan:

Griffith

Eluvei said:
"Cool Beans!"

You've surprised me at the end of this one, I was sure it'd end abruptly when they were afraid of Zodd, but it ended up with a nice, fitting cliffhanger. Great edit again.

Thanks, I try to find a natural breaking point or utilize the breaks if I can, and this one just worked out nicely. Wasn't the case with the last one, where I had to stick 20 seconds of Griffith's battle plan on the the end of the previous part so I didn't have to cut off Griffith's big kingdom speech to Guts mid-scene. That would have sucked.

Eluvei said:
Unrelated to your work, an only off-putting thing is that some knights' and even the king's cape colors were way too vivid compared to the rest of the anime, but I guess if I start complaining about terrible color choices, I'll go insane.

The King's gotta look pimp. As for the rest, black & white, man. PURE!

Eluvei said:
And Gaston's voice is not like I imagined at all; I think he should sound a little more mature and humble. Gaston is my favorite regular dude.

Well, he certainly sounds humble at the end, but yeah, a little shrill and whiny otherwise.If I had access to my editing computer right now, I could try to fix that for you with a special Gaston edit. Maybe later. :guts:

slan69 said:
Man I love watching these recuts. It puts my editing to shame. :farnese: And as Eluvei I like how you ended part V.

Thank you, I don't have a lot of experience so I'm glad it's been effective thus far. What kind editing do you do?

slan69 said:
Now get on with part VI. :azan:

Haha, I like the enthusiasm! :ubik:

Oburi said:
Do you include Judo, Pippin etc. as regular dudes as well?

I couldn't figure out what the Hell you were trying to ask about editing Judo and Pippin before realizing you were talking to Eluvei about Gaston. :ganishka:

Griffith

Okay, now we're getting serious...

PART VI:

BERSERK: RECUT (ベルセルク:再切断) 6
URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO8eDOUVy48

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/mO8eDOUVy48[/flash]

KNEEL BEFORE ZODD! :zodd:

Tried a little experimentation and took a few risks with this one (now introducing the abrupt music drop IN =), it was one was one of the most challenging yet. Let me know how it worked all out.

Also, I re-uploaded Part 5 because there was a random frame from a cut scene in there. Unfortunately, I found that sometimes they show up and sometimes they don't depending on the output/upload. For example, the first time I fixed it and output it again, a different random frame showed up that wasn't in the previous upload, and I certainly didn't add it in between them. So, some weird give and take there between the source material and my editing software. Let me know if you catch anything like that as well.

But enough about that boring technical stuff, go watch Zodd kick some ass (don't worry, Guts is still a winner in the end)! :guts:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Griffith said:
(don't worry, Guts is still a winner in the end)! :guts:

:ganishka:

I liked the way it finished :carcus:

I've been enjoying the project so far, it takes the aspects of the anime that really caught my attention (funny how those turned out to be the most faithful parts to the manga) when I first started my journey in Berserk, and distills it into something more enjoyable. It's easy to watch because there's no dragging moments and filler, and even without any subtitles I've read and watched the series so many times it feels like I can keep up word for word. Keep it up!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I've really been enjoying these and I can't wait to watch part VI this weekend. The flow of the story is much better this time around even if the animation is still awful in places. I hope the new anime has a much higher budget.

I finally had time to catch up with the last two releases. Good stuff. The abrupt music edits were noticable.. but it didn't kill the experience in anyway.

If anything, I feel like I should compliment you for a job well done. Especially with Zodd. I haven't seen or read the Golden Age in years. Your recut version was able to make my hairs stand on end when Guts stabbed Zodd and he begins to transform. That look of disbelief and sheer terror was priceless. And I haven't responded to that scene in that way since my first viewing. :)
..Then it was kind of ruined when Zodd's voice actor started with his cough like growling. I hope they do a better job in the new animation.

Scorpio said:
I've been enjoying the project so far, it takes the aspects of the anime that really caught my attention (funny how those turned out to be the most faithful parts to the manga) when I first started my journey in Berserk, and distills it into something more enjoyable. It's easy to watch because there's no dragging moments and filler, and even without any subtitles I've read and watched the series so many times it feels like I can keep up word for word. Keep it up!

I totally agree with this.

Great episode. :guts:

Griffith

Thanks for all the compliments guys. :guts:

Scorpio said:
even without any subtitles I've read and watched the series so many times it feels like I can keep up word for word.

Glad to hear it, you're basically the perfect candidate for this project as it stands.

Rhombaad said:
I hope the new anime has a much higher budget.

I'd just hope there really is one! :ganishka:

Ramen4ever said:
The abrupt music edits were noticable.. but it didn't kill the experience in anyway.

Thanks, that's reassuring since it was a last second decision to do it that way. I previously had it edited with fade transitions which made it smoother but maybe too much like a highlight reel, and I kind of wanted to see if I could do it straight by editing around the music.

Ramen4ever said:
..Then it was kind of ruined when Zodd's voice actor started with his cough like growling. I hope they do a better job in the new animation.

Haha yeah, I thought in the back of my mind that I should dub that over with a lion roar or something. :zodd:

Ramen4ever said:
The abrupt music edits were noticable.. but it didn't kill the experience in anyway. ..Then it was kind of ruined when Zodd's voice actor started with his cough like growling.
Yeah I have to agree with you on both points. I hate that fucking hideous growling noise, it shouldn't even be called a growl, more like coughing up a hairball noise. :iva: No matter though, I still thoroughly enjoyed the video Griff and the music edits don't bother me one bit.

Scorpio said:
I liked the way it finished :carcus:
I laughed at the end. It reminded me of a special song. :ganishka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJGST0XNAIg

I demand more Griffith! :mozgus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
As bad as the voice actor for Zodd is, his animators are a thousand times more horrible. Even with the more accurate pace, that was a tough one to watch.

Griffith

slan69 said:
Yeah I have to agree with you on both points. I hate that fucking hideous growling noise, it shouldn't even be called a growl, more like coughing up a hairball noise. :iva: No matter though, I still thoroughly enjoyed the video Griff and the music edits don't bother me one bit.

Thanks again. :guts:

If anyone was bothered by them though, let me know now because I have similar decisions to make going forward.

slan69 said:
I laughed at the end. It reminded me of a special song. :ganishka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJGST0XNAIg

I demand more Griffith! :mozgus:

Well, when you show such enthusiasm, video and all, how can I not deliver? :slan:

Rhombaad said:
As bad as the voice actor for Zodd is, his animators are a thousand times more horrible. Even with the more accurate pace, that was a tough one to watch.

Cue moving left animation:

nosferatuzodd.jpg

Griffith

PART VII:

BERSERK: RECUT (ベルセルク:再切断) 7
URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RnO7m7M77M

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/6RnO7m7M77M[/flash]

good stuff as usual Griffith. The part that I noticed to really stick out is when the music faded and the scene jumped from Charlotte going down the stairs, to the three maids talking. what was cut from there? (I can't recall what was there in the old anime)
It might not hurt to go to the commercial break black screen and to fade the music a little slower?

Griffith

Ramen4ever said:
good stuff as usual Griffith.

Thank you as usual for the feedback and a chance to talk about it.

Ramen4ever said:
The part that I noticed to really stick out is when the music faded and the scene jumped from Charlotte going down the stairs, to the three maids talking. what was cut from there? (I can't recall what was there in the old anime)

It originally went straight to the scene of Guts on the rooftop (note his theme playing in both scenes, originally uninterrupted). After that it goes to a made up Adon subplot with him defending a river fort and we don't even see Julius and Foss talking until the end of the NEXT episode (what a waste)! :schierke:

Ramen4ever said:
It might not hurt to go to the commercial break black screen and to fade the music a little slower?

Yeah, I see what you mean, but in regards to faithfully representing the manga that's actually one of the edits I have the least reservation about (my biggest concern is actually something I left in earlier). Just compare it to the original:

recutcomparison01.jpg

The only reason I even employed any fading was so the music wouldn't suddenly cutout right after coming in, and I figured at least some visual transition was appropriate considering Guts' expression doesn't punctuate the scene in the same way for a direct cut. Anyway, I think it works alright since the setting was already established and we'd just seen Julius leaving them, like in the original above. If I was going to go back to change something, it would be the part where Griffith asks Guts if he needs a reason to save his life, but again, the music makes it tricky (I feel like I copped out on that one).

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how closely it follows episodes Sword Master (1) & (2) in the manga now.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Perhaps, you could combine the fade out with some kind of reverb, maybe doing a hard cut after a certain note, then doing a tiny tiny fade out at the end of the section you cut, THEN, add reverb on the section of the audio that's the last note so it kind of... rings out?

Personally I think this is going great so far, Griffy. Keep up the great work.

Griffith

Why aren't you complaining about the lack of Part VIII!? :judo:

Kidding aside, sorry for the delay, you can blame Time Warner Cable. Anyway, I quite enjoyed editing this one.

PART VIII:

BERSERK: RECUT (ベルセルク:再切断) 8
URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrWwJ5xB4P8

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/FrWwJ5xB4P8[/flash]

The plot thickens... :griffnotevil:

Gobolatula said:
Perhaps, you could combine the fade out with some kind of reverb, maybe doing a hard cut after a certain note, then doing a tiny tiny fade out at the end of the section you cut, THEN, add reverb on the section of the audio that's the last note so it kind of... rings out?

Sounds good (literally =).

Top Bottom