Nintendo 3DS

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
On topic, I'm going to say that it's a tossup between the MGS3 re-release and that RE game for what looks the best graphically so far. I wonder what they plan to use the second screen for in MGS. Easier inventory management? Radar? :???:

I find the RE games amazing. I was also impressed by the video of Street Fighter IV. Looks pretty good and very fluid. As for the second screen, there's lots of options really. What about a second camera angle? That would just be cheating. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
About 4 minutes of Ocarina of Time gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W68CPInmYc

Looking good I guess, but it's clearly not conveying the real experience...

I remember Aaz suggesting I wait for the 3DS because I was thinking of buying the DS console and start playing some of the games recommended on here. I just read an article about the 3DS lasting for 3 hours (battery life). How does that compare to a regular DS console :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
I remember Aaz suggesting I wait for the 3DS because I was thinking of buying the DS console and start playing some of the games recommended on here. I just read an article about the 3DS lasting for 3 hours (battery life). How does that compare to a regular DS console :???:

Hahaha, always take this stuff with a grain of salt dude, it's 3 hours in full 3D with max brightness and so on. Personally I have an old NDS, and its brightness is lower than the lowest brightness setting on the DSi. I play mighty fine with that. And keep in mind those estimates are for when you're playing 3DS games, not NDS ones. Playing NDS games will be less taxing on the 3DS, just like playing GBA games on the NDS drains less battery.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Not a bad price IMO. Though I'll probably play the waiting game on this one, at least until they revise the system. Not really in a rush and I don't want to spend that much on a portable. I'm really looking forward to getting one at some point though. Advance wars, I will love you...someday soon.

I heard they'll have a gameboy market. That's cool. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVMW3TlCPGw

Some press guys captured footage of how Paper Mario 3DS is shaping up. Looks really solid to me. I still can't yet tell though if this is a whole new game, or just Paper Mario with some added features. Portions of the areas shown in the footage here look very similar to starting areas in Paper Mario on the N64.

Some launch titles and prices confirmed. Looks like the two earliest offerings are the most expensive. Likely just retailers and/or third-party companies testing the waters of pricing, and also baiting the early adopters.

March 15
Dead or Alive Dimensions $49.99
Samurai Warriors Chronicles $49.99

March 22
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars $39.99

March 27 (LAUNCH DAY)
Madden NFL Football $39.99
Sims 3 $39.99
Nintendogs & Cats $39.99
Steel Diver $39.99
Pilotwings Resort $39.99
Super Street Fighter IV $39.99

April 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow $39.99
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell $39.99
Asphalt $39.99
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs $39.99
Rabbids Travel in Time $39.99

June 1
Cartoon Network SuperToon Rumble $39.99

June 2
Animal Crossing 3D $39.99
Mario Kart 3D $39.99
Paper Mario 3D $39.99
Dream Trigger $39.99
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D $39.99
Kid Icarus: Uprising $39.99
Star Fox 64 3D $39.99
Super Monkey Ball $39.99

July 6
Resident Evil: Mercenaries $39.99

Sept. 2
Face Kart: Photo Finish $39.99
Pet Zombies in 3D $39.99

(source: http://kotaku.com/5740777/gamestop-listings-peg-3ds-titles-at-40-to-50-in-us )

Aphasia

Apparently there is a 3DS remake of cave story in the works. Daisuke Amaya also mentioned that we've "Very very likely to get a sequel"

Aaaaand I'm excited.

source: http://www.destructoid.com/not-a-joke-cave-story-being-remade-for-3ds-193769.phtml

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Apparently there is a 3DS remake of cave story in the works. Daisuke Amaya also mentioned that we've "Very very likely to get a sequel"

Aaaaand I'm excited.

source: http://www.destructoid.com/not-a-joke-cave-story-being-remade-for-3ds-193769.phtml
The sequel news is new to me. But yeah the 3D thing... Sorta excited? I've already played through the game 2.5 times at this point, so the novelty of 3D won't do much for me. But a sequel, that's different!

Here's some more pics of the designs for the 3D remake: http://www.1up.com/previews/cave-story-creator-next-project-3ds-ios-games

Aphasia

Walter said:
The sequel news is new to me. But yeah the 3D thing... Sorta excited? I've already played through the game 2.5 times at this point, so the novelty of 3D won't do much for me. But a sequel, that's different!

Here's some more pics of the designs for the 3D remake: http://www.1up.com/previews/cave-story-creator-next-project-3ds-ios-games

I'll mostly be playing this version for supposedly new areas and remastered music and easter eggs. Probably turn the 3D effect off unless it's really good. I think it'll be cool to see with fresh graphics, and I'm always down for another playthrough. Daisuke has been opposed to a sequel in past interviews. Here's the specific blurb from the interview:

GR: Now that Cave Story has been/is being ported to three different platforms, is there any interest in or intent to make a sequel down the road?

DA: The original Cave Story took me five years to create, and the testers that were playing the game, they wanted to have something even more difficult than the original stages. So I created the Hell stage, and put so much effort into it that I basically said, “all right, this is the grand finale for Cave Story for now.” And then I wanted to create a few other games on the side, which I was able to in the past few years. So I’m satisfied with that. It’s now been 10 years since the original Cave Story came out, so I’m now thinking that maybe it’s time to start thinking about a sequel for Cave Story. There’s a very, very good chance we’ll see a sequel.

You can go here for a 3 page interview about the 3DS game:
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/cave-story-remake-announced-for-3ds/a-2011021016228990012

mimigavillage.jpg
cavestoryogart.jpg

I think they ruined Mimiga Village. I'm getting that feeling of when I see a trailer of a Hollywood adaptation of something nostalgic to me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great to me. I like how the lighting and colors add atmosphere and set the mood for what is a pretty depressing area of the game. What I worry about is how the characters are going to blend into such highly produced backgrounds.

Yeah, I know it's cool to hate on stuff, but that really looks nice. I've played the original so much I'm glad to see this is more than just a port.

Aphasia

Eluvei said:
I think they ruined Mimiga Village. I'm getting that feeling of when I see a trailer of a Hollywood adaptation of something nostalgic to me.
Why do you think they ruined it? I'm a little afraid of this game will be received by it's fans. Anytime there's something as beloved as Cave Story getting remade it gets railed. Nostalgia and memories seem to constrict our ability to enjoy new things. As long as the remake serves a purpose and upholds the original vision I don't have a problem with it. Daisuke is working directly with the developers so I'm faithful that it will be honored. I feel differently about movies usually. Take blade-runner for instance. I wouldn't enjoy it any more if they improved the graphics or made an HD version. I can't really nail why I don't feel that way about this re-boot, but I can understand where you're coming from.

I think the backgrounds themselves look fantastic and add a lot of life to the scene. The warm and cool colors work very well together. I can't wait to see area's like the outer wall and plantation.

Walter said:
Looks great to me. I like how the lighting and colors add atmosphere and set the mood for what is a pretty depressing area of the game. What I worry about is how the characters are going to blend into such highly produced backgrounds.

I agree. Polygon models might look weird in such painterly backgrounds. I wish they would've just used highly detailed sprites like "A Boy and his Blob" or "Muramasa the Demon Blade".

Bekul said:
Yeah, I know it's cool to hate on stuff, but that really looks nice.

Yeah, what's the deal with opinions, right? Some people...

Aphasia said:
Why do you think they ruined it?

It's totally not like I imagined it. It looks beautiful, that's undeniable, but I think it should be brighter (like it is in the original) and look more like an abandoned village instead of simply a cave with houses in it. It IS a cave with houses in it, but it didn't feel like it when you're exploring it in the original game; it's supposed to be different from the starting cave and other cavey locations. The starting area of the game is perfect in the new style.

There are many locations that are brighter and that make you forget you're inside a cave the whole game, so if they're going with the moody dark blue all the way I'll be disappointed.

Aphasia said:
Nostalgia and memories seem to constrict our ability to enjoy new things.

I only said that about nostalgia to illustrate how I thought they missed the point while remaking that particular part of the game's graphics. I'm not dismissing the game itself.

Aphasia

Eluvei said:
It's totally not like I imagined it. It looks beautiful, that's undeniable, but I think it should be brighter (like it is in the original) and look more like an abandoned village instead of simply a cave with houses in it. It IS a cave with houses in it, but it didn't feel like it when you're exploring it in the original game; it's supposed to be different from the starting cave and other cavey locations. The starting area of the game is perfect in the new style.

There are many locations that are brighter and that make you forget you're inside a cave the whole game, so if they're going with the moody dark blue all the way I'll be disappointed.

I can see what you mean, but I wouldn't consider it ruined. The darkness seems fitting, since it is in a cave after all. If I'm remembering right there aren't many "dark" places in the original. It's all very plain and you don't really feel like you're in a cave.
It'll be all the more wonderful when you finally reach the outside, like a breathe of fresh air. Spoiler perhaps?
I agree that they should vary the color scheme. I'm personally a fan of the lighting we've seen so far. There should be plenty of opportunities for brighter locations. Hopefully they'll capitalize on them for varieties sake.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Eluvei said:
I'm very exigent when it comes to portable 3D remakes of freeware platformers. :troll:

As long as they remain faithful to the original, which I love just the way it is, I don't mind them changing everything.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Just read that the European 3DS will be able to play US and JP games (the region lock is apparently on the consoles, not the games). I'm not sure it's true, but if so it just made my week-end.

Aazealh said:
Just read that the European 3DS will be able to play US and JP games (the region lock is apparently on the consoles, not the games). I'm not sure it's true, but if so it just made my week-end.

Good news indeed! Thank you for sharing. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of new 3DS news. But first and foremost, a new Mario game has been confirmed for 3DS, and the logo hints at a raccoon suit.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/67688/gdc-new-super-mario-game

http://consumerist.com/2011/03/nintendos-3ds-will-stream-netflix-connect-automatically-for-free-to-att-wifi-hot-spots.html

Nintendo's 3DS handheld, which is due out March 27, will hook up with AT&T and Netflix in a super-hot threesome that will eventually let gamers stream movies while on the go.

According to a press release that culled together announcements made at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, Nintendo has worked out a deal with AT&T that will allow the device to automatically connect for free to 10,000 AT&T WiFi Hot Spots after a May firmware update. Another update in the summer will allow Netflix subscribers to stream movies on the handheld.

Nintendo will also create a "short-form video service" that will pipe 3D movie trailers, comedy shorts and music videos to the 3DS, which projects 3D images without requiring glasses.

Drawbacks for the system include the hefty $250 price tag and an uninspiring lineup of launch games. If you're a gamer, do the Netflix and AT&T deals sweeten the pot enough for you to take the plunge?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
3D killjoy:

http://kotaku.com/#!5776305/why-i-stopped-playing-the-3ds-in-3d

My initial reaction was that he's a whiner, my second thought was that I don't enjoy migraines. =)

Also, check out the video on the 3DS Amazon page (access via the product images section):
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Cosmo-Black/dp/B002I096AA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299237116&sr=8-2

Apparently Nintendo's target audience for this ad are apple's dumbest users, "Whoa, where's that coming from!? I better check behind the DS!" Idiots, don't they know that the magical elves making it work are inside? Anyway, that's a horrible ad. Can't they just make an accurate CGI recreation that accurately demonstrates what it basically looks like with a disclaimer noting that fact? That would get me a lot more excited than this garbage. Hell, in the old days they did way more outlandish shit even when it had NOTHING to do with the product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhbpBMzjE1A

Top Bottom