Nintendo 3DS

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
I'm looking forward to mine too. They're definitely going to go like hot cakes. Pre ordering is a great idea.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm probably holding off until my birthday, or at least giving it a couple months to see how things play out; if it lives up to expectations, someone's eyeballs explode, or what other issues arise (like if importing the European model is the savvy move). Oh, and so Ocarina of Time can come out of course. :serpico:

Aphasia

So I've canceled my pre-order, mainly because a number of articles showcasing how ugly DS games look on the system. The 3DS plays the games perfectly fine, but there's an obvious blurring/desaturation of the color that goes on. I'm really picky about this kind of stuff, especially since I wasn't planning on buying any 3DS games for a while.

So I went ahead and got a black DSI off ebay. I'm still planning on upgrading at some point, likely after a revision and some better titles come out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
So I've canceled my pre-order, mainly because a number of articles showcasing how ugly DS games look on the system. The 3DS plays the games perfectly fine, but there's an obvious blurring/desaturation of the color that goes on.

Would you mind posting your sources? Because I've heard the desaturation was rather subtle and not a bother at all. As for the "blurring", it's a result of the upscaling, which is advantageous when playing polygon-based games (smoothes out the edges and makes them look better), but inevitably renders sprites slightly less crisply than the original NDS. So it's not actually a lose-lose situation but varies depending on the game played. And it's worth mentioning that you can rescale the games to their original resolution by pressing buttons during start up if you want to, which would fix any issues you might have with this.

Aphasia

Aazealh said:
Would you mind posting your sources? Because I've heard the desaturation was rather subtle and not a bother at all. As for the "blurring", it's a result of the upscaling, which is advantageous when playing polygon-based games (smoothes out the edges and makes them look better), but inevitably renders sprites slightly less crisply than the original NDS. So it's not actually a lose-lose situation but varies depending on the game played. And it's worth mentioning that you can rescale the games to their original resolution by pressing buttons during start up if you want to, which would fix any issues you might have with this.
True, you have the option to re-scale, which is supposed to help the blurriness. But you're also loosing quite a bit of screen real estate. The size discrepancy is documented in the article below. Some people testify that they don't notice it, while others are sincerely bothered by the effect. It probably just comes down to personal preference.

http://www.destructoid.com/upgrading-to-3ds-don-t-get-rid-of-your-ds-just-yet--196897.phtml

This is the article that influenced my decision to wait. It gives a pretty good impression of the differences.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
True, you have the option to re-scale, which is supposed to help the blurriness.

It does away with it altogether as far as I know, since it simply displays the original resolution.

Aphasia said:
http://www.destructoid.com/upgrading-to-3ds-don-t-get-rid-of-your-ds-just-yet--196897.phtml

This is the article that influenced my decision to wait. It gives a pretty good impression of the differences.

Ok, thanks. This saturation matter will likely not affect me as I still use a first generation DS and these models don't display colors as vividly as the later revisions. It's all going according to plan! :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/04/super_mario_3ds_combines_galaxy_and_mario_64_out_this_year

Speaking to Edge, Miyamoto also revealed more details about the game, stating it's a cross between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64. The raccoon tail in the game's logo is no coincidence either, as Miyamoto confirmed it's exactly what you think it is: "You probably know what’s going to happen using that character."

Super Mario 3DS will be playable at E3 in June.
It's supposed to be out this year, too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3112-Nintendo-3DS
Viewing 3D is difficult when you move your head, and the launch lineup sucks. NEWS.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Walter said:
Viewing 3D is difficult when you move your head, and the launch lineup sucks. NEWS.

Yeah, those aren't really a big deal.

I've gotten this a few times though...

2011-04-16_18-35-29_633.jpg

This has happened to me three times now, and is especially prevalent near the end of long-winded shadow wars missions when I haven't saved. In the big scheme of things I guess the rate of occurrence is pretty tiny, but man, when it happens it's just beyond frustrating. At least it doesn't brick the system.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Walter said:

I don't keep up with this sort of stuff. Nevertheless i consider him to be a trustworthy reviewer. Even if done for laughs.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
This has happened to me three times now, and is especially prevalent near the end of long-winded shadow wars missions when I haven't saved. In the big scheme of things I guess the rate of occurrence is pretty tiny, but man, when it happens it's just beyond frustrating. At least it doesn't brick the system.

Man that sucks. I haven't gotten any such errors so far myself. Hopefully I never will.

NightCrawler said:
Nevertheless i consider him to be a trustworthy reviewer. Even if done for laughs.

Really? I don't think of his stuff as much more than parodies.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aazealh said:
Really? I don't think of his stuff as much more than parodies.

But that's his thing. It's easy to get past that and focus on his opinion. And for the most part i agree with the arguments he makes in his reviews.
It doesn't hurt that he shares my love for Silent Hill 2 too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
But that's his thing. It's easy to get past that and focus on his opinion. And for the most part i agree with the arguments he makes in his reviews.

Oh I know, but I don't agree with all of what he says (that being said, I don't follow him regularly at all). It's a bit too superficial an approach for me.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Cave Story 3D is seriously making me want to get the 3DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-_6Iu2xfIw
The graphics are a bit of a shock to me, probably because I'm so used to the pixel art. Quote looks a little silly, but it's something I can get used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkqRR2wEwRY
Here's an interview I found.

Aphasia

I'm a little sad that I'm not as hyped about Cave Story as I initially was. It looks okay, I'd still like to play it one day. I still have a ton of DS games to go through before I care about getting a 3DS.

There's a game coming out called Labyrinth, don't know if it will make it stateside. I hope so, because whatever it is, it's damn pretty.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428715

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'll pass on Cave Story 64.

Aww, that's mean. Although I wish we'd hear less about remakes and more about the guy's new projects (assuming he has any)...

Aphasia said:
I still have a ton of DS games to go through before I care about getting a 3DS.

There are enough NDS games out there to keep you busy until Nintendo's next handheld comes out.

Aphasia said:
There's a game coming out called Labyrinth, don't know if it will make it stateside. I hope so, because whatever it is, it's damn pretty.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428715

Looks pretty neat.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:

You're a real comedian I see.

EDIT: Updated my 3DS. Excitebike 3D is alright but it's mostly just like the original. The 3D in it feels very discreet to me (although I haven't tried the max settings yet). Still, can't complain if it's free, right? The eShop feels well designed, it's easy to navigate through. Configuring one's account (linking it to the system) takes but a second.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Price drop!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/28/nintendo-3ds-price-drops-from-249-to-169-august-12th-current/ said:
The price of the Nintendo 3DS in the US is dropping precipitously August 12th from $249 to $169, with other regions getting a similar price break in their respective currency. Are you one of the 830,000~ US gamers that have already shelled out? Don't be too disappointed, the thank you gift for gamers that have logged into the eShop at least once before the price cut will be 10 free NES virtual console games September 1st, plus 10 more Game Boy Advance virtual console games -- that Nintendo is not planning on releasing to the general public -- before the end of the year. Left holding the bag for all this desperation generosity, are the company's investors. While pressure from the upcoming Vita is surely playing a part, Nintendo plans to sell 16 million 3DS units in the financial year, but still slashed its financial projections for the year from ¥110 billion to just ¥20 billion. Check out the financial PDFs at the source links below while you decide if 10 potentially-exclusive GBA games are worth paying $80 extra for.

Good news for us as consumers, but I can't help but feel that they're panicking over nothing, or else had really unrealistic sales expectations given that the console was released without any serious titles.

Top Bottom