Nintendo 3DS

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Viral Harvest said:
Make that three.

Yeah, the 3DS' unique properties and humongous library of DS games combined with this price drop and the fact the Vita has no video out (fuck you, Sony) certainly makes it most attractive to me now. Can't say I feel great for those that already paid for one though.

Viral Harvest said:
Psyched about this! Now all I need to hear is that Megaman Legends 3 will be active again.

Not going to happen. The timing of the whole thing was fishy from the start, Inafune couldn't get it made for years, then it's announced out of nowhere just before he leaves the company, which seems counter-intuitive for both sides unless it was some last ditch effort to keep him on board with his dream/vanity project.

Are you one of the 830,000~ US gamers that have already shelled out? Don't be too disappointed, the thank you gift for gamers that have logged into the eShop at least once before the price cut will be 10 free NES virtual console games September 1st, plus 10 more Game Boy Advance virtual console games -- that Nintendo is not planning on releasing to the general public -- before the end of the year.

Does this mean that the gift will be only available for US gamers? I really hope not; 20 free virtual console games sounds very appealing to me. :beast:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Not going to happen. The timing of the whole thing was fishy from the start, Inafune couldn't get it made for years, then it's announced out of nowhere just before he leaves the company, which seems counter-intuitive for both sides unless it was some last ditch effort to keep him on board with his dream/vanity project.

Yeah the project died the day Inafune left, assuming it had ever really lived.

m said:
Does this mean that the gift will be only available for US gamers? I really hope not; 20 free virtual console games sounds very appealing to me. :beast:

Nah, it's going to be available to all territories.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Today is the last day you can cheat the retail system by signing up for Nintendo's ambassador program, getting 20 free games, all for the reduced price of $170.

Picking mine up this afternoon :daiba:

Griffith

Got mine in Zelda green/Mega Man blue, and updated when I played Ocarina of Time. I hope my free games are secure? :guts:

BTW, first wow moment was seeing Ganondorf gesture at me, and... it was like he was really there! :schnoz: This style of 3D can really fool the brain.

Update: Did the legit system update and my eshop messages confirmed as an Ambassador! That's going to be a nice little windfall. :SK:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Got mine yesterday in black. Honestly, if it weren't for this ambassador program, I would have no problems waiting until Mario 3D comes out later this year. But I couldn't resist 20 free games.

I got Zelda and have been enjoying it so far. Though I think my eyes are the sort that aren't comfortable with the deepest 3D effect. I usually have my slider just above the OFF mode. I get a weird sensation in the back of my right eye if I play it with too deep a setting. Eye starts to spasm. Probably my problem, not Nintendo's...

The best part of the launch lineup is Face Raiders. You can take pictures of people/things and the 3DS incorporates it into a shooting game where the face flies at you. It also has a way to manipulate the face realistically/comically. I took a picture of my cat, and now it laughs and looks scornfully at me as I shoot balls at its face. Fun stuff :ganishka:

I also noticed a very strange anomaly with the 3DS and the DS. Posted a video on YouTube of my encounter with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787NCEwmR3E

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I just recreated your discovery with my 3DS, cobalt blue DS and Shadow Wars. How incredibly strange.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Walter said:
I also noticed a very strange anomaly with the 3DS and the DS. Posted a video on YouTube of my encounter with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=787NCEwmR3E

Hah, That's nut's...they like each other! About the price drop...I'm considering turning in my DS for a $99.00 3DS. Almost too good to pass up.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Hah, That's nut's...they like each other! About the price drop...I'm considering turning in my DS for a $99.00 3DS. Almost too good to pass up.
Yeah, I'd also read about that. Through GameStop, right? The only advice I can offer is that the DS Lite is still the best at playing DS games. The DS "emulation" on the 3DS is inferior. This is very unfortunate. It's actually how I discovered the above anomaly, as I was testing DS vs 3DS visuals.

So if you still want to play DS games regularly, that should be a factor in your consideration of the trade-in.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I also picked up a black 3DS the other day. I could really use the cash from the DS trade in, but I have a LOT of awesome Gameboy Advance games that I don't feel like reacquiring or whatever it is you're supposed to do in that situation. If there's a free, non-piracy way of playing GBA games on a 3DS, by all means someone fill me in.

P.S. Love the thing. I enjoy the 3D effect when the slider's about halfway, but no matter what my eyes can't handle it for a prolonged period. Sadness.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
P.S. Love the thing. I enjoy the 3D effect when the slider's about halfway, but no matter what my eyes can't handle it for a prolonged period. Sadness.

I've heard people who had problems with eye strain at first saying it got better after a while, so give it a shot and maybe your eyes will adjust/get used to it?

Griffith

I'm lucky I guess, despite my reservations I've kept the 3D slider on max since I got it and have had no problems, as a matter of fact I've gotten so used to it now I have to turn the 3D off to notice the difference in Ocarina of Time. The 3D gives it a cinematic, almost panoramic, effect and I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do for a game with more advanced graphics, like Resident Evil: Revelations. On the other hand, at the sight of a simple 3D picture certain people act repulsed like I tried to stab them in the eye with the stylus pen. Or course, when I go permanently cross-eyed or something I won't feel so lucky. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I was only mildly interested in yet another Mario Kart game, but Mario Kart 7 is really looking amazing to me. Here's 7 minutes of footage from GamesCom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ecesGCI3U

The addition of addons like hanggliders look like they could really add a new depth to the tracks and player dynamics.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I was only mildly interested in yet another Mario Kart game, but Mario Kart 7 is really looking amazing to me. Here's 7 minutes of footage from GamesCom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ecesGCI3U

The addition of addons like hanggliders look like they could really add a new depth to the tracks and player dynamics.

As sad as it might be, I'm a lot more excited by the news you gave me earlier about Metroid II and Super Mario Land 2 coming to the 3DS' Virtual Console. Two amazing games.

Picked up a 3ds because of the price drop.. its pretty cool. Looking forward to Super Mario 3D Land and Snake Eater 3D..

Anyone else like Dragon Quest Monsters Joker? 2nd one is coming out in September.. unfortunately its only a DS game.. no 3D.. but thats what my wifes DSi is for..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Anyone else like Dragon Quest Monsters Joker? 2nd one is coming out in September.. unfortunately its only a DS game.. no 3D.. but thats what my wifes DSi is for..

Never played the DQ Joker series, but I'm looking forward to the new Rocket Slime as I absolutely loved the NDS one.

Griffith

I've got a strange little defect in my 3DS and wonder if anyone else has it too; sometimes my sound won't turn off even when I put the volume slider all the way down. At first I thought it was random, or possibly the sound/volume control was going out on me altogether, but it actually seems like it happens when I first turn it on (though when I first discovered it, the sound went from being off to coming back on faintly when it was lying behind me, and I wondered if it was related to the phenomenon Walter demonstrated), but after a while it goes back to normal and I can turn the volume all the way down again... weird.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Weird indeed. I haven't encountered anything like that, but then again I hardly turn the sound off.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed something similar once when i had my volume all the way down, but it was still playing the open/close sound. It never happened again though, so I just thought it was a weird fluke.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Weird indeed. I haven't encountered anything like that, but then again I hardly turn the sound off.
Walter said:
I noticed something similar once when i had my volume all the way down, but it was still playing the open/close sound. It never happened again though, so I just thought it was a weird fluke.

Yeah, it's not really problematic enough for me to do anything about it at the moment (weighed against the ambassador program and other account related inconveniences it would present), so I'm just hoping the opposite problem doesn't crop up. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
3DS ambassadors can now download their 10 free NES games. Here's how: http://www.shacknews.com/article/69973/how-to-download-your-3ds-ambassador-games-available-now

Top Bottom