Nintendo 3DS

Walter said:
3DS ambassadors can now download their 10 free NES games. Here's how: http://www.shacknews.com/article/69973/how-to-download-your-3ds-ambassador-games-available-now

I've been so busy lately I forgot about this. Thanks for the reminder! :serpico:

I just downloaded the games. I'm really looking forward to playing Zelda and Zelda II

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Having never actually played Balloon Fight before, I am really addicted to it. Basically, what if Joust was easier and also more fun?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Nintendo announced some new 3DS titles last night at a pre TGS conference. New Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter 4 among those announced.

There's also a new RPG by Square with a really ridiculous title. The bulky second stick add-on seems to be mainly to play these games (MH4, MGS3, RE: Revelations) and is probably a request from third party developers. I guess it's Ok since it's cheap (around $15), but I wish they'd have included it right from the start.

Anyway the line up is nice, but third party developers need to wake up a bit. Capcom's on the ball but the others are so slow to react it's hard to believe (and not just with the 3DS).

Aazealh said:
There's also a new RPG by Square with a really ridiculous title. The bulky second stick add-on seems to be mainly to play these games (MH4, MGS3, RE: Revelations) and is probably a request from third party developers. I guess it's Ok since it's cheap (around $15), but I wish they'd have included it right from the start.

Anyway the line up is nice, but third party developers need to wake up a bit. Capcom's on the ball but the others are so slow to react it's hard to believe (and not just with the 3DS).

Yeah Bravely Defaulted: Flying Fairies by Squeenix is a pretty silly title. Hope its a working title. I was depressed there was no new Snake Eater announcements..

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
All the 3DS news and pictures you'd want from TGS:

http://kotaku.com/5839675/3ds-slidepad-pricing-zelda-news-a-3ds-monster-hunter-heres-what-you-missed-last-night

Yeah, that slide pad is pretty bulky, so I guess I'll hold off on buying a carry case for my 3DS until we find out how mandatory it is (I'm assuming it's going to be required for some of these games, coincidentally the ones you'd want to play most =). I sure don't like the idea of it running on an external battery. As a matter of fact, considering its size it would have been nice if it also functioned as a backup battery, and I sure hope we at least have the option to plug it in through the AC adapter to power both it and the 3DS.

Well, that's all the setup for disappointment I'll be providing on subject today. :griffnotevil:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The slide pad won't be a requirement. There are screenshots showing Monster Hunter on 3DS using the touch screen for camera control. The second stick would simply replace that if it's attached. They aren't going to release MGS3 and say "slide pad only". You can bet money on it.

Zelda: Four Swords will be available as a downloadable title for free later this month. I wonder if it'll support true online multiplayer. If so, let's do it!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow!

Aonuma told IndustryGamers that “we could put out a lot of titles that have online gameplay that’s similar to what people are used to online, but that wouldn’t result in unique products.”
Seriously Aonuma, fuck off with this pretentious shit. Local multiplayer only is NOT multiplayer in this day and age.

Griffith

Walter said:
Wow!
Seriously Aonuma, fuck off with this pretentious shit. Local multiplayer only is NOT multiplayer in this day and age.

facepalm.jpg

Yeah, I was going to quote his whole non-reply about online play and the words "shut the fuck up" come to mind. It's just depressing, and I don't even buy the pretension, it's just a smoke screen for being overprotective pussies. Just like friend codes, no chat, and everything else they're doing to hold themselves back and punish their customers while justifying the people that mock Nintendo as some Mickey Mouse operation. If Nintendo would just pull their heads out of their asses there would be no stopping them.

Griffith

Head's up to anyone interested in getting Star Fox 3D: my local Target is having a sale where if you buy the game you can get another 3DS game for 50% off. So, if say you only half wanted another game, now you can theoretically get it for half price. Check your local Target fast though, the sale at mine is ending Saturday.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I've heard that game has been pretty awful at conventions this year. It's consistently made fun of.

Haven't really paid attention to the title so far, but I can't deny the appeal of FF's musical repertoire.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.shacknews.com/article/70275/star-fox-64-3d-lacks-online-multiplayer-due-to-cost

"This leads me to think that just making multiplayer parts of existing games playable online isn't enough to create a satisfying experience for users.
Hey look, the same bullshit corporate line about why Nintendo doesn't believe in online games. You'd think they'd at least attempt to veil their prefabricated doctrine with different wording, but no. This is an almost verbatim repetition of Aonuma's defense of no online multiplayer in Four Swords.

Griffith

I actually like his explanation better, though the fact that they're still clearly rushing isn't great, and something online would have been better than nothing, even if it was just bare bones support. I managed to convince my dad to try one Star Fox 64 3D multiplayer match, and the fact that it broadcasts your picture is cool... except that you're sitting in the same room. :ganishka:

Speaking of online play, after some research I broke down and got Street Fighter IV 3D too (not II). I haven't seen it discussed much here, but I feel great about the purchase. The gameplay is great of course, totally smooth and the characters move/look great, plus the level of customization and attention to detail is fantastic. Rather than finding myself griping, "Why didn't they include this feature?" I'm impressed by the inherent features I wouldn't have even thought of (gripe: for some reason the story videos aren't in 3D though). Overall, it just feels more like a modern game than most of the old ports and remakes that are currently serving as the system's other flagship titles. Also, unlike Nintendo's offerings (Capcom's arguably having a relatively better showing for the 3DS than the big N so far), it has full and easy online support for instant matches or customized online play with friends or even a certain type of opponent. That's not to say its online is perfect, some of the shit that goes on would make Nintendo smile knowingly (plenty of cheapshot artists on there spamming wins with one-button special moves programmed E. Hondas and Zangiefs). Even that can be avoided through the match options though, my problem is more that I suck am out of practice. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Hey look, the same bullshit corporate line about why Nintendo doesn't believe in online games. You'd think they'd at least attempt to veil their prefabricated doctrine with different wording, but no. This is an almost verbatim repetition of Aonuma's defense of no online multiplayer in Four Swords.

The worst part is that Starfox Command on the NDS does have 4 players online multiplayer. Makes it all the more backwards.

For Dragon Quest fans:

http://www.dragonquest.jp/news/detail/393/

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terrys Wonderland 3D coming to 3DS in 2012

Remake of the original for the gameboy color. I put probably 100 hours on that game when I was 12. Im stoked!!

I would say if you like battle monster games like Monster Hunter and Pokemon this will probably be a must have..

Griffith

Here are some games I'm looking out for:

Must haves:

Resident Evil: Revelations - If it combines the gameplay of RE4/5 with the return to the series' survival horror roots it's promising it won't just be a must have for current 3DS owners. Hopefully RE: Mercenaries will also be discounted when it comes out.

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - The best Metal Gear Solid remade to utilize 3DS gameplay mechanics and visuals? Sign me up! This would be ahead of Revelations if it wasn't a port/remake. And hey, if I could only choose one, I'd go with the known quantity here.

Super Mario 3D Land - It's going to be as good as Mario 3 and Galaxy rolled into one, right? This would also be #1 if I knew that.

Jaws: Ultimate Predator - Ha, this one might just be for me, but I love the movie, sharks, and enjoyed Jaws:Unleashed. Hey, it was GTA where you eat people; what's not to like?

Probably good buys, but...:

Mario Kart 7 - Eh, I could probably live without another Mario Kart, but it's being developed by Nintendo EAD (unlike most Nintendo published 3DS games, strangely) and is supposed to be great.

Super Smash Bros. - Again, probably could do without another of these, but if it's more like the first one than it's successors I'm game. If it actually has online that definitely boosts it's potential.

Paper Mario - Well, uh, I liked Mario RPG, so maybe?

Tekken 3D: Prime Edition - With SFIV already in hand, not likely I'd get this AND Smash Bros, if either.

Questionable:

Batman - If it's being developed by Rocksteady and turns out to be a kind of Arkham Asylum 3DS game, count me in.

Contra - If it's by WayForward it jumps to the next level.

Sonic Generations - A celebration of old school Sonic action in a new package? Yeah, they'll probably mess it up like every other new Sonic game.

Spider-Man: Edge of Time - Hey, it's Spider-Man! Uh, it could be good, right?

Cave Story 3D - Not for this version of the game, but to see if the original edition goes down in price in the eShop after this one is released. Frankly, from the images I've seen the graphical makeover looks like shit.

Downloadable:

Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - FREEEEEEEE!

Super Mario Land 2 - 1 was fun, but this one's supposed to be the classic.

The Rolling Western - "The game features an armadillo who explores a 3D environment, attacking enemies by spinning at them." Nintendo's long-awaited response to Sonic: Adventure!?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, here's my own list:

Games I'm extremely likely to buy:

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Luigi's Mansion 2
Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney
Resident Evil: Revelations
Super Mario 3D Land
Monster Hunter 4
Rocket Slime 3

Games I might buy if they get good ratings / games that are too far away from release to be in the above list:

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Mario Kart 7
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Fire Emblem
Zone of the Enders 3DS
Paper Mario
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
Sonic Generations

Games that haven't been announced but that I totally want (yeah that's a bullshit list):

Castlevania
INFINITE SPACE 2
Ghost Trick 2
F-Zero
Metroid Dread
Front Mission

Downloadable:

Good question... There are just so many old titles I'd like to replay that I don't know where to start. Well, that's not true, I'll definitely get Super Mario Land 2. Metroid II would be cool as well (even though, like for SML2, I got the cartridge sitting 2 meters away from me right now...).

Griffith said:
Super Mario Land 2 - 1 was fun, but this one's supposed to be the classic.

It's fucking great. One of the best GB games for sure; gave me great memories. Wario's introduction and maybe the only title in which he was actually the bad guy opposing Mario. The next title in the series was Wario Land. :slan:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Games that haven't been announced but that I totally want (yeah that's a bullshit list):

But a totally fun list, here's mine:

Mega Man Universe
Mega Man Legends 3
Rockman Online
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man X: Command Mission

Downloadable:
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Mega Man 1-8
Mega Man II-V (Game Boy)
Mega Man X 1-3

:iva:

Aazealh said:
Downloadable:

Good question... There are just so many old titles I'd like to replay that I don't know where to start. Well, that's not true, I'll definitely get Super Mario Land 2. Metroid II would be cool as well (even though, like for SML2, I got the cartridge sitting 2 meters away from me right now...).

Yeah, same for me and Metroid II (sitting in its case in my drawer as I type this). I've already gotten a lot of downloadable games for the 3DS other than my ambassador stash though (worked like charm, Nintendo =). Pac Man, the awesome GB version of Donkey Kong, Kirby's Dream Land, SML, Link's Awakening, Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge, and that's just the Game Boy stuff.

Aazealh said:
It's fucking great. One of the best GB games for sure; gave me great memories. Wario's introduction and maybe the only title in which he was actually the bad guy opposing Mario. The next title in the series was Wario Land. :slan:

Well, I was already going to get it, but now I'm doubly excited. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'd post a list of my own anticipated titles, but you guys hit the big ones already. However I think both of you are underestimating how awesome Mario Kart 7 could be. Griff I don't think you've played the DS version of Mario Kart. It's in my opinion the best of the franchise, and one of the DS' best titles. Wireless multiplayer, local and internet, is amazing fun.

Zelda 4 swords came out a day early. Go get it!

Top Bottom