Nintendo 3DS

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
However I think both of you are underestimating how awesome Mario Kart 7 could be. Griff I don't think you've played the DS version of Mario Kart. It's in my opinion the best of the franchise, and one of the DS' best titles. Wireless multiplayer, local and internet, is amazing fun.

Well, I used to love Mario Kart, peaking with Mario Kart 64, but after looking up Mario Kart DS, I just hope 7 is as good (the classic courses sound awesome) or I might go from uninterested to having a legitimate tough choice of which to get.

Anyway, Super Mario Land 2 lives up to the hype, it's like a hybrid of Mario 3 and Mario World.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oh shit, Aliens: Infestation is out already! It's getting good but not great reviews so far. I'm totally getting it (and I know it's not a 3DS game, but whatever)! :iva:

Griffith

It's not out here until the 11th, but I'm going to be holding off for a while anyway. I've already gone overboard with my game purchases and have too many to play with too little time to play them, including WayForward's own Shantae: Risky's Revenge. :daiba:

Yesterday I realized that we haven't got the 10 free GBA games we were promised when the price cut for the 3DS was announced. I searched for a while to see if I missed them but it seems I didn't, which was a reflief. It seems there are 5 confirmed titles (which was probably news to only me :farnese:)

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

I still have my GBA SP and Mario Kart: Super Circuit and Yoshi's Island but it'll be good being able to play those games on the 3DS. Especially because the battery on Yoshi's Island doesn't work anymore which means I can't save my progress.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just got Mario 3D Land. There's a level (2-3) that's structured like a giant pixelated Mario from SMB. Awesome. :ubik:

m said:
Yesterday I realized that we haven't got the 10 free GBA games we were promised when the price cut for the 3DS was announced. I searched for a while to see if I missed them but it seems I didn't, which was a reflief. It seems there are 5 confirmed titles (which was probably news to only me :farnese:)

Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Metroid Fusion
WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania
Mario vs. Donkey Kong

I remember Metroid Fusion being one of many fantastic games on the GBA.

frankencowx said:
I remember Metroid Fusion being one of many fantastic games on the GBA.

For some reason I've never played a Metroid game. I've heard very good things about some of the games but I just never got to play any of them. Getting the NES game and this one on the 3DS is a very good chance to get introduced to the series. :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
For some reason I've never played a Metroid game. I've heard very good things about some of the games but I just never got to play any of them. Getting the NES game and this one on the 3DS is a very good chance to get introduced to the series. :serpico:

Ideally you should play them in the right order: Metroid, Metroid II (GB episode), Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion. Metroid: Zero Mission is a GBA remake of the first game that, while short, is very good as well. The Prime trilogy is also worth playing if you have the occasion.

X

Xem

Aazealh said:
Ideally you should play them in the right order: Metroid, Metroid II (GB episode), Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion. Metroid: Zero Mission is a GBA remake of the first game that, while short, is very good as well. The Prime trilogy is also worth playing if you have the occasion.

Or you could just play Other M (explores Samus' origins). :griffnotevil:

Aazealh said:

Alright, I'll play them in order. Thanks for the recommendation. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
If you're completely new to the series, I think those earlier games will be daunting for you. I'd recommend you start with Super Metroid. The plot in these games isn't so dense that you'll be lost by jumping ahead to the third in the series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
If you're completely new to the series, I think those earlier games will be daunting for you.

Yeah I'll admit that the first 2 games are as old school as they come. I'd still recommend checking them out though, if only to get a feel of what they were like. If they prove to be too much of a challenge, moving on to Super Metroid will not be a tragedy. It's one of the defining games of the 16-bit era.

Griffith

And if Super Metroid is too hard, try Metroid: Fusion. It's like the former but with a built in walkthrough. :troll:

I was in Target yesterday, and found Mario Kart 7 on the shelf to my bewilderment. Like... 50 copies of it. So I asked an employee to get it out of the case for me. I was pretty excited because I thought it was coming out on the 4th. She proceeds to check me out only to say that she can't sell it to me until the 4th... so I got super circle jerked, and it sucked. Guess I have to wait until Sunday now...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
I was in Target yesterday, and found Mario Kart 7 on the shelf to my bewilderment. Like... 50 copies of it. So I asked an employee to get it out of the case for me. I was pretty excited because I thought it was coming out on the 4th. She proceeds to check me out only to say that she can't sell it to me until the 4th... so I got super circle jerked, and it sucked. Guess I have to wait until Sunday now...
That's so stupid... Timed releases for games that aren't going to have giant crowds never made any sense to me.

I'll probably be picking this one up a little later, though. I've got Zelda on my plate, and I still need to finish off the 2nd quest stuff in Mario.

The special worlds in Mario are crazy. I'm working on getting the final star by beating all the levels with Marios green counterpart, which I'm finding is difficult to do because of his handling.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
which I'm finding is difficult to do because of his handling.
Yeah he's more difficult to control, but for some reason, likely his hilarious voice, I enjoy playing as him more than Mario.

Griffith

We should take advantage of Mario Kart 7's online community options to create the SK.net circuit. =)

frankencowx said:
The special worlds in Mario are crazy. I'm working on getting the final star by beating all the levels with Marios green counterpart, which I'm finding is difficult to do because of his handling.

Just be sure it's the shiny/glimmering stars! On my first play through I got non-nonchalant late at night and died enough that a help box appeared... on the LAST regular world level/castle! :azan:

I'm compensating in a new file replay by not losing a single life. Last I played I was at World 8-5, have all the available star coins and yellow flags, and 0 lives lost.

Walter said:
Yeah he's more difficult to control, but for some reason, likely his hilarious voice, I enjoy playing as him more than Mario.

I like him better because he jumps notably higher. Big advantage that, combined with the Tanooki suit, makes it easy to quickly bounce through levels. Plus, if you're going back to collect yellow flags or something, you don't even have to time your jump particularly well.

Griffith said:
We should take advantage of Mario Kart 7's online community options to create the SK.net circuit. =)

I will glady be a part of the SK.net circuit.

I'm thinking about pulling a fast one and going back to Target today. Maybe a different person will be working in electronics and I can convince them to sell early... :ganishka:

Just be sure it's the shiny/glimmering stars! On my first play through I got non-nonchalant late at night and died enough that a help box appeared... on the LAST regular world level/castle! :azan:

So if you don't get the help box you get glimmering stars for 100%ing the game?? I don't remember dying that many times. Someone else might have on my file though..

Griffith

frankencowx said:
So if you don't get the help box you get glimmering stars for 100%ing the game??

Well, the stars on your file should be glimmering already.

frankencowx said:
I don't remember dying that many times. Someone else might have on my file though..

Ouch, never let someone play the same file as yours. Anyway, I sure wasn't happy about it since I didn't consider my fucking around could add a permanent stain to my file (I hate that shit). I wouldn't trade the experience itself though; I didn't even know about the help boxes, so when one appeared and gave me an invincible Tanooki suit it felt like I being rewarded by the Mario Gods. Only later did I learn it was the temptation of Satan!

Mario Kart 7 is.... awesome!! I'm slightly upset with the character roster, which has been trimmed down from previous games, and some odd choices thrown in the mix. I was really hoping for Dry Bones and Kamek but.. other than that, the courses and retro courses in particular are incredible, and the online is really well constructed. I would recommend it as a must buy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Mario Kart 7 is.... awesome!! I'm slightly upset with the character roster, which has been trimmed down from previous games, and some odd choices thrown in the mix. I was really hoping for Dry Bones and Kamek but.. other than that, the courses and retro courses in particular are incredible, and the online is really well constructed. I would recommend it as a must buy.
No dry bones? Argh... But hey at least you can drive as a giant bee, right?! :ganishka:

Top Bottom