Nintendo 3DS

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm enjoying Mario Kart 7 as well, though I'm noticing a crappy trend that the 3D is sort of being toned down in these Nintendo releases. Zelda was out of this world in-depth your eyes will hurt sometimes because it's like a Sage Medallion is poking them, Star Fox 64 was lesser by comparison, and less prominent in Mario 3D Land because I figured it was fine-tuned in a very specific and effective way, but here it just seems like it's so weak it's almost unnecessary (though I've yet to really play in first person mode). Am I missing something, why is the 3D seemingly being toned down? There's a slider so we can do that ourselves if wanted, but as someone that experiences no side effects from it, I kind of feel ripped off that I can't blow it out if I like.

frankencowx said:
Yeah... wait no... what the hell. That bee was a terrible decision. Here's to hoping for dlc =S

I don't really care about the driver line up because I only play as Bowser anyway. :ganishka: If they make classic Mario Kart track DLCs though, holy shit. I'd try to rebuild my beloved Mario Kart 64.

Also, this would be awesome if it comes to fruition, and ALMOST make me regret my history of Link poster.

http://kotaku.com/5866899/club-nintendo-coins-will-soon-buy-virtual-console-games

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Also, this would be awesome if it comes to fruition, and ALMOST make me regret my history of Link poster.

http://kotaku.com/5866899/club-nintendo-coins-will-soon-buy-virtual-console-games

Indeed. Finally a use for those damn points.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Indeed. Finally a use for those damn points.

They may not be useful, but they're not worthless...

link2.jpg

:guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aaz just alerted me, the final wave of ambassador games for GBA has been announced:

F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Super Mario Advance 3
The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart Advance
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4
Wario Ware, Inc. Mega Microgame$

Very, VERY solid lineup. There are only a handful missing from this list to make it the ultimate GBA game list. Metroid: Zero Mission, Golden Sun and Final Fantasy Advance 6 are sorely felt... But it's not as if Nintendo will never give us a chance to re-purchase those games eventually.

Griffith

Very nice, makes me regret further my impulse shopping spree on the eshop; should have stuck to the plan (buy the system cheap and makeup the price in free games anyway). Now if they'd just, ya know, release them.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Very nice, makes me regret further my impulse shopping spree on the eshop; should have stuck to the plan (buy the system cheap and makeup the price in free games anyway). Now if they'd just, ya know, release them.
In typical Nintendo fashion, now that they've been announced we can expect them either tomorrow or next Thursday. Their releases tend to come out like a violent spew shortly after they're unveiled.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
In typical Nintendo fashion, now that they've been announced we can expect them either tomorrow or next Thursday. Their releases tend to come out like a violent spew shortly after they're unveiled.

It'll be tomorrow. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
The gba games are out! Just finished downloading F-Zero Maximum Velocity from the eshop.
Yep! The first one I'm grabbing is Metroid Fusion though.

This also gives us a chance to test out a new feature added to the eShop: Download Later. Basically, you all know how to get to the titles Nintendo just added. But instead of downloading each one individually, you can select download later, then exit the eShop, back to the home menu, then just close the lid. It'll download the titles in the background while it's asleep. Come back in a few minutes and everything you queued up for download later will be downloaded.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I fiddled around with the download later, but when I came back a half hour later nothing had happened. I decided to give up and just download manually.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
I fiddled around with the download later, but when I came back a half hour later nothing had happened. I decided to give up and just download manually.
*Shrug* worked for me. Did you exit the eShop and return to the home screen?

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Walter said:
*Shrug* worked for me. Did you exit the eShop and return to the home screen?

Originally I had just closed the system from the eshop, but it didn't work. Later on I quit the eshop and closed it while idling in the home screen and that's when I came back a half hour later and I didn't notice any progress. It may be a one time thing though... I've had a few interesting bugs with my 3DS including the screens being just straight black and no sound when I open it after having had it sleep for a long time. I usually have to hold down the power button several times for it to shut down and it restarts normally after that. Seems to be a different thing than the error screen I posted about awhile ago. So maybe download later will work the next time I try it?

I got Mario Kart 7 yesterday and I like it a lot. My only complain is that in my opinion there's too many Mario Kart Wii tracks.

Also, I just downloaded the free GBA games and so my list of games to play just grew. So many games, so little time...

Griffith

Download later worked like a charm for me, and I've been playing Metroid Fusion ever since. I played it about halfway through when it came out for GBA but just never finished it. I really liked it though so it's nice to go back and beat it. I like the pseudo-mission based barebones plot stuff with Hal 9000 and your evil twin. Basically, I like everything it rips off and adds to Metroid (2001, The Thing). The exploration is on a micro level; you still have to find your way around, but it being sectional makes it more friendly for gaming on the go I suppose. I actually think I play it more because of this. It doesn't seem like such a commitment to do the next part, but because of that I end up doing the next five because it's addictive. Anyway, I think I'm near the end, the level 4 locks are open and those are the last.

Funny story btw, one of the more annoying bosses forces you to fire missiles at a diagonal angle the entire time to hit it, which with GBA controls requires you to hold the L and R buttons down the whole time in addition to running around, space jumping, and everything else. It was proving to be a pain in the ass, and my hand, so I ended up scotch taping both buttons down. :ganishka:

m said:
I got Mario Kart 7 yesterday and I like it a lot. My only complain is that in my opinion there's too many Mario Kart Wii tracks.

Since I haven't played it, and don't plan to, I actually like that they threw those in there. My favorite is still Mario Kart N64, so while it's nice to almost have the entire Mushroom Cup from that game, it would have been better to have some of the more complex tracks.

m said:
Also, I just downloaded the free GBA games and so my list of games to play just grew. So many games, so little time...

Yeah, I've done 60 downloads already. It's like someone's steam backlog.

Griffith said:
Since I haven't played it, and don't plan to, I actually like that they threw those in there. My favorite is still Mario Kart N64, so while it's nice to almost have the entire Mushroom Cup from that game, it would have been better to have some of the more complex tracks.

Banshee Boardwalk and Toads Turnpike for the win. I shat my britches a many a times on those two.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Download later worked like a charm for me, and I've been playing Metroid Fusion ever since. I played it about halfway through when it came out for GBA but just never finished it. I really liked it though so it's nice to go back and beat it. I like the pseudo-mission based barebones plot stuff with Hal 9000 and your evil twin. Basically, I like everything it rips off and adds to Metroid (2001, The Thing). The exploration is on a micro level; you still have to find your way around, but it being sectional makes it more friendly for gaming on the go I suppose. I actually think I play it more because of this. It doesn't seem like such a commitment to do the next part, but because of that I end up doing the next five because it's addictive. Anyway, I think I'm near the end, the level 4 locks are open and those are the last.

Ahhh, a fellow Fusion enthusiast. Welcome! :void:

Griffith said:
Funny story btw, one of the more annoying bosses forces you to fire missiles at a diagonal angle the entire time to hit it, which with GBA controls requires you to hold the L and R buttons down the whole time in addition to running around, space jumping, and everything else. It was proving to be a pain in the ass, and my hand, so I ended up scotch taping both buttons down. :ganishka:

Never had this problem. :badbone:

Griffith

frankencowx said:
Banshee Boardwalk and Toads Turnpike for the win. I shat my britches a many a times on those two.

Yeah, Toad's Turnpike was one of the first that came to mind, hard to believe it hasn't been used as a retro course already. Mario Kart DS had the most intuitive retro course setup with one from each of the previous games.

Aazealh said:
Ahhh, a fellow Fusion enthusiast. Welcome! :void:

Yeah, I beat it last night, didn't really dig how the "plot" turned out, but the sequence of events, especially the final X you absorb, was appropriately cool and satisfying.

Aazealh said:
Never hard this problem. :badbone:

Your Freudian slip says otherwise. :SK:

And it's official:

https://club.nintendo.com/rewards.do

Of course, I already have both games, and Nintendo has already set the precedent for making all the "exclusive" ambassador games available to everyone for free. Thanks Nintendo; looking forward to next month's offer of two more mediocre games I already have. More Zelda posters for me!

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Anyway, Super Mario Kart and the Minis March Again are both cool games. I'm not complaining so far.

Yeah, I was confusing Minis March Again with it's predecessor.

Griffith said:
Since I haven't played it, and don't plan to, I actually like that they threw those in there.

The only two games I've played lately (except for a defend the tower game on my phone) are Mario Kart Wii and Metroid and so, seeing the same tracks in Mario Kart 7 was not really fun for me.

One thing I really like about Mario Kart 7 is having tracks on which you don't do three laps but go through the track just once; I think that is really cool. One thing I don't like so far is how easy it is to get a three stars rating. I remember how hard it was getting that rating on the GBA game (I haven't been able to achieve it on all tracks, I'm missing a couple) and it's probably harder on Mario Kart Wii (I settled for getting a one star rating on all tracks). Perhaps there's a higher rating this time around?

Griffith said:
My favorite is still Mario Kart N64, so while it's nice to almost have the entire Mushroom Cup from that game, it would have been better to have some of the more complex tracks.

I too have fond memories of Mario Kart N64. Getting together with friends to play, the epic races, the unfair shortcuts. Those were the days.

Griffith

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pbYF4tOod03oE7GLsEsXMnr5k0nFg-_3

In other news, with the addition of Swapnote, is Nintendo signaling that they may join the rest of the earth with real online communication or are they simply confirming that they're still completely out of touch? I can't be the only one that finds it odd, seeing as Nintendo is so safe or maybe just stupid about this shit, that I can now draw or send a picture of a penis with ease yet still can't insert TEXT. Doesn't give me much hope for eventual in-game voice and video communication; hey Nintendo, not all of us just want to send messages that, "make people feel uncomfortable" as the Swapnote tutorial warns against. I'll be sure not to do that, here's a preview: 8=n=i=n=t=e=n=D~o Though I'm thinking more a giant penis that says "NINTENDONG" across it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Holy shit, the original Game Boy Tetris is now available on the 3DS virtual console. TETRIS 1/5 GET! :isidro:

Griffith said:
In other news, with the addition of Swapnote, is Nintendo signaling that they may join the rest of the earth with real online communication or are they simply confirming that they're still completely out of touch? I can't be the only one that finds it odd, seeing as Nintendo is so safe or maybe just stupid about this shit, that I can now draw or send a picture of a penis with ease yet still can't insert TEXT. Doesn't give me much hope for eventual in-game voice and video communication; hey Nintendo, not all of us just want to send messages that, "make people feel uncomfortable" as the Swapnote tutorial warns against. I'll be sure not to do that, here's a preview: 8=n=i=n=t=e=n=D~o Though I'm thinking more a giant penis that says "NINTENDONG" across it.
As you and Aaz now know, I've been doing little Berserk portraits on Swapnote just to test it out. If I can figure out how to export them as .jpgs or something I'll post them here. Neat program, but it's very limiting in what you can do. There's a hard limit on the number of strokes you can make before it stops you. And if you hit that brick wall mid-drawing, you're basically boned. :puck:

Theres a new set of games up for Club Nintendo rewards.

Wii
Dr. Mario Online Rx
Zelda Majoras Mask

3DS
Kirby's Dream Land
Dr. Mario Express

Might pick up Kirbys Dream Land..

Top Bottom