Nintendo 3DS

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm waiting for Mirror of Fate myself, but I'd like to get the new Rocket Slime if it came out here...

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
If you havent bought a 3DS I think this might entice you to do so

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2012/06/nintendo-to-launch-new-3ds-handheld-with-bigger-screen/1#.T-QMxrd5nTp said:
Nintendo's 3DS handheld is getting a resize.

A new model of the portable game system, the Nintendo 3DS XL, with a screen that's 90% larger, is headed to stores Aug. 19 for $199.99, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime announced during an online video event early Friday.

Earlier, Nintendo announced that the new system would be made available in Japan on July 28 for 18,900 yen ($240).

Available in red and blue, the new model has a larger, glasses-free 3-D top display (4.88 inches vs. 3.53 inches currently) and larger touch panel display (4.18 inches vs. 3.02 inches) and enhanced battery life. "Your handheld gaming experiences will be more intense and more engrossing than ever before," Fils-Aime said.

That August 19 release date for the 3DS XL is the same date that the anticipated 3DS game New Super Mario Bros. 2 arrives, too. The date, "marks the beginning of a huge push for Nintendo and 3DS that will last for the rest of the year and beyond," Fils-Aime said.

Nintendo has sold 4.5 million units of the current 3DS, priced at $169.99, in the U.S. since its March 2011 -- a faster pace, by 1 million units, than the Nintendo DS after it came to market, according to The NPD Group. The Nintendo DS went on to become the best-selling gaming hardware system ever, selling more than 151 million units worldwide.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
i want a slimmer 3DS model with more battery life.. but this thing wont fit in any of my pockets :azan:

So... will there be a circle pad pro XL??

In other news, they confirmed Fire Emblem: Awakening for 2013 release at their Nintendo Direct Conference. Wooohooo! And Namco-Bandai developing next Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS?? =S At least it's not Capcom right?

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Was coming to post this news here. I think I might finally invest in a 3DS though my fiance is convinced I won't play it for more than a month.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
frankencowx said:
Even if I'm the only person that cares about this game.. its still awesome 3DS news!

I care to a certain extent, as the last few DQM games were fairly mediocre. What I really want is Rocket Slime and DQX, even though I'm still concerned with DQX's combat :/

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Delta Phi Zeta said:
Was coming to post this news here. I think I might finally invest in a 3DS though my fiance is convinced I won't play it for more than a month.

Story of my life right there.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Yeah, that's inevitable, and why I'm not gonna pick this up.
I don't really think so. If they were going to do that, they would have done it with this revision.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I don't really think so. If they were going to do that, they would have done it with this revision.

I think frankencowx meant the accessory, not that there'd be a new 3DS next year with an integrated second stick. And I do think they'll realize one (Circle Pad Pro XL), because quite a few games are going to rely on it, not the least of which is the next Monster Hunter game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I think frankencowx meant the accessory, not that there'd be a new 3DS next year with an integrated second stick. And I do think they'll realize one (Circle Pad Pro XL), because quite a few games are going to rely on it, not the least of which is the next Monster Hunter game.
Ah, I see. Well, I think it'll be interesting either way to see what Nintendo chooses to do in regards to supporting the Monster Hunter fan base. Will they opt for a whole new hardware version just to suit that control scheme (and the handful of games that also support it), or stick to their guns and say that the accessory is enough to accommodate them.

I don't think many Americans know just how big of a score it was for Nintendo to land Monster Hunter for 3DS. It's HUGE in Japan, and guarantees sales, while also putting a dent in Sony's long-term plans.

So it becomes 3DS XXL? I do like the matte finish though.. if that's even what it is. Never was a fan of the gloss they coat their first handheld iterations in.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
So it becomes 3DS XXL? I do like the matte finish though.. if that's even what it is. Never was a fan of the gloss they coat their first handheld iterations in.
I also like the curved design of the XL. I have to say, it's very tempting... I might trade in my 3DS for an XL come August. We'll see if I can spare the cash. :farnese:

Walter said:
I also like the curved design of the XL. I have to say, it's very tempting... I might trade in my 3DS for an XL come August. We'll see if I can spare the cash. :farnese:

You could sell your old 3DS/Trade up or something.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:

Really? Frankly, if I could give up the 3DS and all my memories of it and get back the money I've invested in it (admittedly too much), that would be very tempting. The whole Wii and 3DS experience, including this, tells me that Nintendo's future would probably be better focused in software with some hardware consulting...

Walter said:
Yeah but then I'd lose all my classic games from the ambassador's program. :mozgus:

...and things like this are why. It's not like it's a secret, even among Nintendo fans, that they do everything half-backward, it's just we give them a pass because who doesn't love Mario? Anyway, isn't there a system transfer feature of some sort? Thought I saw that in the options after I first bought it (I'd check, but then I'd have to turn on my 3DS for purposes other than Super Mario 3D Land, which I just don't do anymore =).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a highlight reel of what's coming to the 3DS this year in Japan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go3hvloDaCE&hd=1

Most of these aren't going to make it over here for obvious reasons. However, the best ones will.

For me, the highlights are:

-Etrian Odyssey IV
-Kokuga
-Fire Emblem: Awakening
-Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate
-Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star
-Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion
-Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
-Bravely Default: Flying Fairy (just hoping it gets a name change :guts: )

Wow, quite a lot of games in that video. Most of the ones you've listed have been confirmed coming stateside. Kokuga and Ex Trooper look pretty neat.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Wow, quite a lot of games in that video. Most of the ones you've listed have been confirmed coming stateside. Kokuga and Ex Trooper look pretty neat.
Really? That's surprising. Many of them seemed so blatantly Japanese that I figured there's no way they'd make it over here.

Walter said:
Really? That's surprising. Many of them seemed so blatantly Japanese that I figured there's no way they'd make it over here.

The only ones on your list that I hadn't heard confirmation of were Etrian Odyssey, Kokuga, and Bravely Default. Layton is coming in November.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
For some reason I really enjoy the DS titles I have (PH and Infinite Space for example) in a way I do not with the 3DS ones, and not just on a basis of quality (Infinite Space is a just great game obviously, but so is Mario 3D Land). Maybe because the stylus is a more involving and game design/play oriented gimmick than 3D; which is passive, and so kind of boring gameplay-wise if that's what one's focusing on (the 3DS obviously doesn't utilize the stylus in the same way the DS does). It's like the focus on 3D is actually holding the 3DS back, and I've heard that Nintendo won't be focusing on 3D in the future. I don't think the 3D is the problem though, it's actually very cool, but it'd be better on a system without an additional touchscreen because you can't really get the most out of both at the same time. For that same reason, I really think they should have included a second circle pad on the XL because the 3DS uses modern controller-based gameplay for the most part, and that means two sticks. I understand the argument against it, it shouldn't be a requirement and will create two classes of 3DS games, but that's already the case (MGS3 is fucking broken without it). It's a shitty situation either way, and adding a built-in second stick would have at least fixed the 3DS, even if it it's not fair to some (whereas the current setup is unfair to everybody =). As it is, if the 3DS XL isn't worthless, it's certainly useless.

P.S. And you can transfer all your 3DS data, including the ambassador program stuff:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/3ds/en_na/data_transfer.jsp

Picked up the XL the other day. So far I'm pleased with it. The transfer process was prehistoric but simple. It did take about 45 minutes though. You do get a 4GB SD card as opposed to 2GB with the original 3DS (not that its worth much anyways). One of the things I like most about it is the finish. I can't stand the gloss finish some electronics get these days. Drives me crazy. This isn't quite the matte finish of the DSi but it's very close. I'm not happy with the color selection, I think NA got screwed, but the blue isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it'd be. Oh and the new ergonomics make it easier to hold. The location of the stylus now is also a plus.

Aside from no 2nd thumbstick (stubborn ass nintendo), my biggest gripe is the screen resolution. Its not a deal breaker but games certainly look less sharp on the now blown up screen. They should have upped the resolution or something. However DSi games look a little bit better for some reason than they do on the normal 3DS, and original VC gameboy games look very nice on the large screen.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'll probably get an XL. I've only heard positive things about it, and I can't wait to play through Infinite Space again on a larger screen.

I also have a particular problem with the 3DS' speakers—they cause my inner ear to vibrate after a few minutes use. I think it has something to do with the frequency produced by the speakers. Hopefully this upgrade will resolve that problem.

I'll be keeping my 3DS, at least until I can transfer the data over. Then probably selling it on Craigslist.

Top Bottom