Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I'll probably get an XL. I've only heard positive things about it
Sources: Nintendo Power and Official Nintendo Magazine. :troll:

I can't wait to see its version of the circle pad pro:

3dsxlcirclepadmockup.jpg

3DS-XL-Circle-Pad-Pro-controller.jpg

Kidding aside, I finally picked up a Circle Pad Pro the other day, since I have the two games it's actually good for, and it does make a world of difference. Particularly for Snake Eater 3D, which is now a blast. Anyway, I obviously won't be trading in my 3DS for the XL until they have a Circle Pad Pro for it, and while I understand not doing a major design overhaul on account of two games, they should encourage more games like this if they want to bolster the 3DS library with more must-have titles. BTW, New Super Mario Bros. 2 is not one of them. Fun, kind of a simplified version of Super Mario World, but it really is like a big downloadable game and Walter's complaints about the first New SMB seem to hold true. Mario 3D Land is the true successor to the Mario throne.

Tried the Castlevania: Mirror of Fate demo.

Pretty disappointed as I was really looking forward to this game.

The music is bland and uninspired. Sponge enemies take too long to kill. The game does not... run very well, low framerate. Quick time events to open treasure chests??? The whole thing just feels half-assed, and I think they've been working on this one for a while too. :mozgus:

Also I'm a fan of the older Castlevanias, and I enjoyed Lords of Shadow too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah the demo is nothing to write home about. And as there's no review of the game out so far, I'll probably cancel my preorder just to be careful. I think the game suffers from its lineage (Lords of Shadow). It's not really trying to be a 2D game, and so it comes across as a bit slow and clumsy. Still holding out hope that the actual game's going to be great though (despite being disappointed by LoS).

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I've been contemplating getting one of these, but I never end up finding the motivation to do so.

Sell me on this baby, SK.net.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:

Super Mario 3D Land is the best Mario game since Mario 64. That's a good enough reason, I think. But there is also Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3D, Resident Evil: Revelations. And Fire Emblem just landed—that's an exclusive that's getting rave reviews. I'm about 27 hours into my game of it.

Beyond the existing catalog, it's shaping up to be a pretty great year for 3DS owners. Here's a big list of upcoming games in 2013: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/16/the-big-list-of-upcoming-nintendo-3ds-games . The eShop is also turning out to be really impressive as well. You can download most new releases on launch day now. And every few weeks, there's some new downloadable title in there that's fresh and worth checking out. The ones that I think are worth your time are Push/Crash-mo, Ketzel's Corridors, Crimson Shroud... I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I recently bought a 3DS XL, and I have to say, it's a much better designed system than the vanilla 3DS. The original always felt a little wobbly to me, though it looks very sleek. The XL handles much more like the old DS Lite, which I loved. And that screen, you'll fall in love as soon as you see it. 90% larger than the standard 3DS screen.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
Super Mario 3D Land is the best Mario game since Mario 64. That's a good enough reason, I think. But there is also Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3D, Resident Evil: Revelations. And Fire Emblem just landed—that's an exclusive that's getting rave reviews. I'm about 27 hours into my game of it.

Beyond the existing catalog, it's shaping up to be a pretty great year for 3DS owners. Here's a big list of upcoming games in 2013: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/16/the-big-list-of-upcoming-nintendo-3ds-games . The eShop is also turning out to be really impressive as well. You can download most new releases on launch day now. And every few weeks, there's some new downloadable title in there that's fresh and worth checking out. The ones that I think are worth your time are Push/Crash-mo, Ketzel's Corridors, Crimson Shroud... I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I recently bought a 3DS XL, and I have to say, it's a much better designed system than the vanilla 3DS. The original always felt a little wobbly to me, though it looks very sleek. The XL handles much more like the old DS Lite, which I loved. And that screen, you'll fall in love as soon as you see it. 90% larger than the standard 3DS screen.

Thanks, Walter. I'll look into getting one.

The only thing that really held me back was the fact that I couldn't get into the ambassador program=/

Walter said:
The eShop is also turning out to be really impressive as well.

I don't know I think the eShop could use some work as far as the Nintendo catalog goes. There is a lot of missed opportunity. They've released some really old classic gameboy games, and that's great but... why not more gameboy advance games? Why not bring a lot of whats on the wii virtual console over???

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
The only thing that really held me back was the fact that I couldn't get into the ambassador program=/
I understand, but you should know that as an ambassador with all the available games downloaded, the only one I've seriously played has been Super Mario Bros. It's one thiing to have access to those amazing games, and quite another to actually sit down and play them all. :guts:

frankencowx said:
There is a lot of missed opportunity. They've released some really old classic gameboy games, and that's great but... why not more gameboy advance games? Why not bring a lot of whats on the wii virtual console over???
Agree 100%. The Virtual Console is pretty much a pathetic joke right now, as I expected it would be, given Nintendo's history of dropped balls on the Wii Virtual Console. But what I meant was the actual downloadable games catalog—games that are by and large exclusives to the 3DS. In comparison to the quality of titles on the DSi store and the dreaded Wii Shop, the eShop is a juggernaut.

Griffith

Johnstantine said:

Let me add a disclaimer instead. Walter is absolutely right about Mario 3D Land, and Resident Evil: Revelations is really impressive, but other than that I'm a lot more bearish on the 3DS. I was pretty crazy about it for a while, but I resumed Phantom Hourglass on it the other night, and I realized it was the first time I've played my 3DS in earnest in months (my fiancé plays it far more than I do at this point, it's basically her's now). I'd dump it in a second for my money back. Hell, with the money I spent, I should have just invested more in my PC or a home console with bigger, better games I'd really rather play. On the other hand, absolutely get a DS cheap and get Infinite Space and other classic DS titles that actually utilize the unique gameplay of the stylus (like I said before in this thread, the 3D gimmick is actually detrimental). And if you really want a 3DS, don't worry about the ambassador program, it's basically a bunch of games you already have or will never play anyway, and those "free" games cost me a lot more than their cash value considering the 20 next unplayed downloads I purchased in their wake (you win, Nintendo). I can't see myself spending another dime on it unless something truly transcendent comes out for it, and that would basically be an opportunistic purchase to salvage something out of it, "Hey, that's out for 3DS... I happen to have one of those." I read the list though, and... I'll pass.

BTW, you could borrow and beat Mario 3D Land at a leisurely pace in about a week, easy. In a day if you really wanted; not the best value at practically the same price as any modern home console. On the other hand, the entertainment Infinite Space could provide on a used DS comes out to less than a dollar an hour.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I resumed Phantom Hourglass on it the other night, and it was the first time I've played my 3DS in earnest in months (my fiancé plays it far more than I do at this point, it's basically her's now). I'd dump it in a second for my money back. Hell, with the money I spent,
While I don't regret my purchase, that's more or less where I was until about a month or two ago, when I started playing my 3DS more, mostly because it was something to do while I was walking around bouncing my son on my shoulder. Then I picked up Fire Emblem, and now I'm pretty much playing it every day. So much so that I felt pretty justified in getting an XL. I basically doubled down on the system that day. Along the way, I also discovered a really neat little game called Crimson Shroud, which Aaz and I have been playing for a bit. I only got deep into it tonight during a 2 hour session, and I have to say, it's become my new darling.

For fans of Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and FFXII, Crimson Shroud is from the same creative team (same writer, character designer, and composer), only it's a small scale downloadable title based on old table-top RPGs. It's a really fresh take on the genre, and for those of us who grew up with more austere, imagination-powered RPG experiences, it really shouldn't be missed.

Anyway, enough jerking off, it's true that compared to the DS era, there isn't such a high concentration of amazing games. I remember when I first got a DS Lite in 2006, Aaz had this list of games I had to play, probably numbering in the 10-15 range, and that was before the system had truly hit its stride. But the 3DS just hasn't reached that level yet, and it might not. We're in a different age now. I probably went a good 4 months without using mine in 2012. The problem I see is there isn't quite as much innovation happening among third party companies right now. The DS had a ton of experimental things, ranging from Brain Age to Elite Beat Agents to Picross3D. Also, where's MY GODDAMNED F-ZERO? :ganishka:

Despite all of that, I do think there are enough quality titles that would be good enough for most people to warrant buying it now—if not for the existing catalog, then for what's to come, and what's yet to be announced.

don't worry about the ambassador program, it's basically a bunch of games you already have or will never play anyway
This is true in principle, but for completely irrational reasons, I love the fact that I can open my 3DS and play SMB, LoZ and LoZ2 whenever I feel the urge.

On the other hand, the entertainment Infinite Space could provide on a used DS comes out to less than a dollar an hour.
IS is a good enough game that money shouldn't factor into it. But if we wanna go down that road, it took me 76 hours, so yeah, the $30 I paid was well worth it.

Griffith

Walter said:
While I don't regret my purchase, that's more or less where I was until about a month or two ago, when I started playing my 3DS more, mostly because it was something to do while I was walking around bouncing my son on my shoulder. Then I picked up Fire Emblem, and now I'm pretty much playing it every day. So much so that I felt pretty justified in getting an XL. I basically doubled down on the system that day.

I'm sure I'd still be enjoying it if I kept buying the big games for it and finding the gems on the eshop, that's part of the fun itself. The problem is it's an expensive habit, and the games don't last long enough to justify it, at least to me. You have to keep feeding the beast, essentially.

Walter said:
Along the way, I also discovered a really neat little game called Crimson Shroud, which Aaz and I have been playing for a bit, though I only got deep into it tonight during a 2 hour session.

For fans of Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and FFXII, Crimson Shroud is from the same creative team (same writer, character designer, and composer), only it's a small scale downloadable title based on old table-top RPGs. It's a really fresh take on the genre, and for those of us who grew up with more austere, imagination-powered RPG experiences, it really shouldn't be missed.

That's pretty intriguing, actually. Damn it... :guts:

Walter said:
Anyway, enough jerking off, it's true that compared to the DS era, there isn't such a high concentration of amazing games. I remember when I first got a DS Lite in 2006, Aaz had this list of games I had to play, probably numbering in the 10-15 range, and that was before the system had truly hit its stride. But the 3DS, it just hasn't reached that level yet, and it might not. I probably went a good 4 months without using mine in 2012. The problem I see is there isn't quite as much innovation happening among third party companies right now. The DS had a ton of experimental things, ranging from Brain Age to Elite Beat Agents to Picross3D.

I really do think it's the change in focus from the stylus to 3D. I mean, they could technically still make the same games they did on the DS, but that subtle shift in emphasis means making games you play on the top screen, not the touch screen. Plus, maybe the pinnacle of that style was already achieved on the DS (or perhaps they're just no longer pushing the envelope). I don't know, if the selling point is essentially visual based, an LCD monitor or HDTV is still better than the 3DS' screen anyway. I mean, are any of the games on 3DS better than Red Dead Redemption? I'd trade mine in to be playing that right now. =)

Walter said:
Despite all of that, I do think there are enough quality titles that would be good enough for most people to warrant buying it now—if not for the existing catalog, then for what's to come, and what's yet to be announced.

Also the best reason to purchase the Wii U at the moment: the great games that haven't been announced for it! :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'm sure I'd still be enjoying it if I kept buying the big games for it and finding the gems on the eshop, that's part of the fun itself. The problem is it's an expensive habit, and the games don't last long enough to justify it, at least to me. You have to keep feeding the beast, essentially.
I always look up videos and read impressions before I buy anything. The only exception to that was the one time I felt I truly got burned—fucking Cave Story. And that's my own fault for buying a game that I've already played, never really intended to play through again, and already own on 2 different platforms at this point (PC and Wii, yes I bought the Wii one). That's just dumb.

I really do think it's the change in focus from the stylus to 3D. I mean, they could technically still make the same games they did on the DS, but that subtle shift in emphasis means making games you play on the top screen, not the touch screen.
I'm not super convinced it's the 3D, afterall different companies used the stylus and the 2 screens in vastly different ways on the DS, ways that are still relevant now. But I have noticed a distinct shift away from usage of the stylus over the years. It's pretty rare these days for it to be a requirement. A strategy game like Fire Emblem, you'd think drawing out movement patterns would be a natural fit right? Nope. Player movement happens on the top screen, using the D-Pad. Lower screen shows stats/attacks, etc. Just one example of course, but there are many like that these days.

Anyway, the only game I've played so far where I've felt the 3D was indispensable was Super Mario 3D Land. For the others, it's a neat effect that adds visual depth, but doesn't really add much to the experience, which is why I can't imagine it's a hindrance for innovation. And there are many other uncharted avenues too. Why haven't more companies used the crazy 3D cameras/AR features built into the system, which Face Raiders and the AR Games highlighted?

Plus, maybe the pinnacle of that style was already achieved on the DS (or perhaps they're just no longer pushing the envelope). I don't know, if the selling point is essentially visual based, a big HDTV is still better than the 3DS' screen anyway.
The real selling point is that it's the new system, where newer games come out on. The leap in visuals is pretty moderate, I think.

I mean, are any of the games on 3DS better than Red Dead Redemption? I'd trade mine in to be playing that right now. =)
Stop pretend-playing RDR and go play Dark Souls, damn it. :void:

Also the best reason to purchase the Wii U at the moment: the great games that haven't been announced for it! :troll:
When I wrote that I had a few in mind: a new 2D Metroid, a new portable Zelda, FF6 remake from Square (they remade 3 and 4 on DS, so why not?).

Griffith

Walter said:
I always look up videos and read impressions before I buy anything. The only exception to that was the one time I felt I truly got burned—fucking Cave Story. And that's my own fault for buying a game that I've already played, never really intended to play through again, and already own on 2 different platforms at this point (PC and Wii, yes I bought the Wii one). That's just dumb.

Yeeeeeaah, I bit on the Cave Story bait from the eshop, then they brought out the 3D classic version to go with the full 3D version and the regular... fuck, wasn't this a nice little free game that was the antithesis of this BS once upon a time!? Anyway, I've made a lot more dumb purchases on the 3DS, either with the intention to playing good games I couldn't get into (Shantae: Risky's Revenge), or for dumb nostalgia purposes (every Game Boy and NES game I bought). Hell, I basically bought the thing for OoT. :ganishka:

BTW, I looked up the sales of Zelda games, and Twilight Princess has practically sold as many copies as OoT (like over 8 million)! I guess that's what the people wanted. From a money making standpoint Nintendo should be remaking that in HD on the Wii U instead of the game with no demand for it (durr). Skyward Sword on the other hand... not even half has many copies as OoT or TP (so I guess I was wrong about that). Though SS looks fantastic at 1080p on my PC. :guts:

Walter said:
I'm not super convinced it's the 3D, afterall different companies used the stylus and the 2 screens in vastly different ways on the DS, ways that are still relevant now. But I have noticed a distinct shift away from usage of the stylus over the years. It's pretty rare these days for it to be a requirement. A strategy game like Fire Emblem, you'd think drawing out movement patterns would be a natural fit right? Nope. Player movement happens on the top screen, using the D-Pad. Lower screen shows stats/attacks, etc. Just one example of course, but there are many like that these days.

Anyway, the only game I've played so far where I've felt the 3D was indispensable was Super Mario 3D Land. For the others, it's a neat effect that adds visual depth, but doesn't really add much to the experience, which is why I can't imagine it's a hindrance for innovation.

That's precisely why I am convinced it is, because it means the viewing screen and gameplay is supposed to be in 3D, thus it always goes on the 3D screen, at the expense of the stylus screen which is then reduced to a supporting role. It was like that in some DS games before anyway, sure, but now it's almost mandatory by virtue of utilizing the 3D effect; they're almost mutually exclusive, so the 3D does hinder the innovation of the stylus, and isn't proving nearly as dynamic or innovative itself to make up for it (like you said, it doesn't add much, but it sure is taking something away). I don't think it was intentional to go away from the stylus though, just an unintended consequence.

Walter said:
And there are many other uncharted avenues too. Why haven't more companies used the crazy 3D cameras/AR features built into the system, which Face Raiders and the AR Games highlighted?

This is what I really don't get, there was so much potential there it was incredibly exciting; remember the first time you saw a fucking dragon rise out of your table? Forget 3D Land, that might be the highlight of the 3DS experience right there. =) No PC or console can do that! But, as it stands those virtual tech demos are basically the best thing to come out of those features. It's like they're being ignored while we get the equivalent of traditional games translated into 3D. Encouraging/forcing developers to utilize the stylus resulted in interested new forms of gameplay, even just by having to translate traditional gameplay to the stylus to see if it could do what a controller did, then the innovations multiplied from there as they discovered what the stylus could do that a controller couldn't. On the other hand, 3D lends itself most easilly to a traditional style. You just look at the screen and use a controller, basically.

Walter said:
The real selling point is that it's the new system, where newer games come out on. The leap in visuals is pretty moderate, I think.

From the DS to the 3DS, but not from the 3DS to a Playstation 3. From an investment standpoint, it's not like the games on 3DS are better than what consoles or PCs have to offer, quite the contrary. Your PC is basically your console, as is mine, but what I'm saying is that a console would have been a much better investment for me, and for roughly the same price. I think the games I would have bought on a console to justify owning it would have left me feeling much more wowed and satisfied (I know from vicariously owning a PS3 via my former roommate, it was nice being able to play Arkham Asylum, Dead Space 2 and MGS4; I say that like these games are new =). Otherwise, I'd rather go even smaller/cheaper with a regular DS. Or just see what my phone can do; that's basically become my handheld. I never felt comfortable taking the 3DS out for a couple reasons (I don't like carrying extra weight for one, particularly a valuable electronic device... plus it makes me feel like a "gamer" in the worst sense of the word =), but my phone is my phone, I have it either way, and while there's a limit to the games I can play on it, the same is true of the 3DS or any system. The difference is I have a lot more say and can actually port over the games I want to play for free (EarthBound, Mega Man, FFIV, FFVI, Mario 64, FFVII, FFT, SotN, Diablo, MGS), whereas on the 3DS I can pay $10 for Cave Story, a free game. Plus, even though I own a copy of OoT 3D and have registered it with my linked account, for some reason I can't simply put the downloadable version on my 3DS now, unless I pay $40 for it again (I'm sure there's a great reason for this like someone might try to screw Nintendo, but instead they're definitely screwing everyone). I'm rambling, but this stuff does drive me nuts. =)

Walter said:
Stop pretend-playing RDR and go play Dark Souls, damn it. :void:

I know, I was so turned off by how awful and user-unfriendly the port was I still haven't gone to the trouble of setting it up properly ("they didn't so why should I? oh yeah, it's like the best game, fuck"). I have no excuse though really, considering I had to jump through a hundred more hoops to get Skyward Sword up and running, including going to the trouble of getting and setting up a bluetooth dongle and wireless sensor bar. It's tricky to get working each time, but it actually works fine once you do, and I'd recommend you give it a try; it's a whole new visual experience at 1920x1080, much as I can only imagine Dark Souls is. Don't worry, some day... after Aaz reads Vagabond and watches The Wire and Breaking Bad (I hope he reads this and feels responsible =).

Walter said:
When I wrote that I had a few in mind: a new 2D Metroid, a new portable Zelda, FF6 remake from Square (they remade 3 and 4 on DS, so why not?).

Spirit Tracks 2! I'd actually be most interested to see what they could do with a Zelda designed for the 3DS, not just because I'm such a Zelda freak (currently playing WW, TP, PH, and SS simultaneously =), but because I'd like to see them make as concerted an effort to utilize the 3D in it as they did the stylus in Phantom Hourglass. Miyamoto's excitement about the prospect of A Link to the Past on the 3DS makes me hope that they'll ultimately make a game in that style instead, but using the 3D effects and other 3DS features to create a perspective like we've never seen before. It could completely redeem the thing for me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Hell, with the money I spent, I should have just invested more in my PC or a home console with bigger, better games I'd really rather play.

Better games? Like what? You talk of buying a used NDS to play Infinite Space, but it's not like IS was a day 1 release on the DS. Nor is there a real equivalent for it, bigger and better, on the home consoles. The main advantage of handheld consoles to me was never the mobility, but rather the fact developers can release different kinds of titles on them, stuff you'd never see on home consoles. That's the only reason I buy them.

And about IS, you've only heard of it because I clung to the DS myself, and it's not like these things are without consequences. IS wasn't a big commercial success, but maybe it would have been had more of the right people (the ones who'd have bought the game) believed in the system. And if they had, maybe we'd be playing IS2 now... These things are cyclical in nature. Buying a console early means having to be patient and sift through the mediocre stuff to get to the little gems. It's a choice, and it's a statement, not unlike crowdfunding a project. You're betting on the system and showing 3rd party developers that you're there, but you're given no guarantees. I know that's not how it should be, but that's how it is nevertheless.

So, given that the 3DS is perfectly backwards compatible with NDS games, and that buying one is betting on the future as opposed to saving a buck while locking yourself out of said future, I'd have to recommend anyone to get a 3DS rather than a NDS. That just seems more sensible unless you realize that you might end up repeating this same cycle and buy a 3DS in a few years while a new handheld comes out.

Griffith said:
BTW, you could borrow and beat Mario 3D Land at a leisurely pace in about a week, easy. In a day if you really wanted; not the best value at practically the same price as any modern home console. On the other hand, the entertainment Infinite Space could provide on a used DS comes out to less than a dollar an hour.

How many actual hours have you spent playing Super Mario 3D Land though?

Walter said:
it's true that compared to the DS era, there isn't such a high concentration of amazing games. I remember when I first got a DS Lite in 2006, Aaz had this list of games I had to play, probably numbering in the 10-15 range, and that was before the system had truly hit its stride.

I don't think there's much difference. The NDS had dry spells has well, and it took a long time before the list of great games grew to be sizeable. I'm pretty confident the 3DS will get there soon enough. It just takes time for third party publishers to release worthy titles, as they're more and more careful about taking "risks" nowadays. I have 7 boxed 3DS games myself, with an 8th one coming in next week. There were times when I didn't touch my 3DS for months, but I didn't mind. It had been the same with the NDS, and the X360, and the PS2, PC, Wii, etc. The really great games don't come out every month.

Griffith said:
I really do think it's the change in focus from the stylus to 3D. I mean, they could technically still make the same games they did on the DS, but that subtle shift in emphasis means making games you play on the top screen, not the touch screen. Plus, maybe the pinnacle of that style was already achieved on the DS (or perhaps they're just no longer pushing the envelope). I don't know, if the selling point is essentially visual based, an LCD monitor or HDTV is still better than the 3DS' screen anyway. I mean, are any of the games on 3DS better than Red Dead Redemption? I'd trade mine in to be playing that right now. =)

I don't think so. The stylus was hardly the NDS' main selling point as far as I'm concerned. Most of my games on it I played with the buttons unless they were specifically designed for the touch experience. And not all NDS games had the "main" action occurring on the lower screen. Anyway, the 3DS builds on that, it still uses touch input but does more stuff as well. As for the 3D, I think it's pretty neat honestly. It's not a deal maker or breaker, sure, but I think it enhances the experience. Might sound dumb, but just having the stats be on a different level than the characters in Crimson Shroud is very pleasing to me, and the depth of background the 3D brings is also a very nice enhancement in general.

Now, comparing it to a computer or a TV... I don't think it's very pertinent. It's just not the same experience at all. And try as they might, I doubt we'll get serious games thought for 3D on home consoles. The craze seems to have passed for good. Anyway, you're asking if any game on the 3DS is as good as RDR? Well, I absolutely loved RDR, I think it's one of the best games of the decade, but I also love Super Mario 3D Land to bits, and I wouldn't call it a lesser game at all. And you played it more than me. I also think Resident Evil: Revelations is the best title in the series since RE4, and among my favorite games in the series period. Virtue's Last Reward, 999's sequel, has received great reviews, and is not the kind of game you're likely to found on home consoles. Oh and it has a 3D remake of the game you're continuously calling the best of all time. :iva:

Finally, it's the new home of the Monster Hunter license, the biggest new license from Japan in 10 years, the license who kept the PSP alive and one that has a lot of potential.

Griffith said:
BTW, I looked up the sales of Zelda games, and Twilight Princess has practically sold as many copies as OoT (like over 8 million)! I guess that's what the people wanted. From a money making standpoint Nintendo should be remaking that in HD on the Wii U instead of the game with no demand for it (durr).

No doubt they're making it, hell it was their demo for the system. I'm pretty sure the WW HD remake is just to make people wait.

Griffith said:
That's precisely why I am convinced it is, because it means the viewing screen and gameplay is supposed to be in 3D, thus it always goes on the 3D screen, at the expense of the stylus screen which is then reduced to a supporting role. It was like that in some DS games before anyway, sure, but now it's almost mandatory by virtue of utilizing the 3D effect; they're almost mutually exclusive, so the 3D does hinder the innovation of the stylus, and isn't proving nearly as dynamic or innovative itself to make up for it

I don't think so. You can't look at 2 screens at once anyway, so you're bound to have to switch from one to the other. Before one screen had a feature the other didn't, so that made them sort of asymmetric in nature. And for the NDS' successor, every "expert" thought they'd just make the upper screen a touchscreen too, so you could do twice the touching! But that wasn't very smart, and Nintendo decided to make it 3D instead. Now, the 3D tech has its disadvantages, that's for sure, but overall I don't think that choice is detrimental at all.

The gameplay for ALL NDS games was already asymmetrical anyway. There was always a screen that was secondary to some extent. That's not changed. And that the secondary screen is more often the touchscreen than not doesn't particularly bother me. After all, when I touch it I can't see what's going on too well, so I'd rather look at the upper one anyway. But that's not to say that there'll never be a game that'll use the bottom screen as the main one again. Nintendo's stopped insisting on 3D recently, as the excitement for that tech is pretty much over. So it's become just another feature of the console instead of being THE big feature.

Griffith said:
This is what I really don't get, there was so much potential there it was incredibly exciting; remember the first time you saw a fucking dragon rise out of your table? Forget 3D Land, that might be the highlight of the 3DS experience right there. =) No PC or console can do that! But, as it stands those virtual tech demos are basically the best thing to come out of those features. It's like they're being ignored while we get the equivalent of traditional games translated into 3D. Encouraging/forcing developers to utilize the stylus resulted in interested new forms of gameplay, even just by having to translate traditional gameplay to the stylus to see if it could do what a controller did, then the innovations multiplied from there as they discovered what the stylus could do that a controller couldn't. On the other hand, 3D lends itself most easilly to a traditional style. You just look at the screen and use a controller, basically.

I don't think you're fair. Many NDS games don't use the stylus much, or not in an interesting way. And developers certainly didn't rush to make creative use of it when the NDS was released. So comparing the 2 systems at different times of their life cycle isn't very interesting. Also, that developers don't take advantage of the AR features isn't surprising at all to me. Again, be it the 2 screens or the touch input, there was no rush to do incredible things on the NDS. Same goes for the Wii. People just aren't very creative.

Griffith said:
From an investment standpoint, it's not like the games on 3DS are better than what consoles or PCs have to offer, quite the contrary.

They're different, but not necessarily less good.

Griffith said:
Your PC is basically your console, as is mine, but what I'm saying is that a console would have been a much better investment for me, and for roughly the same price.

Not roughly the same price, no. And PS3 games cost essentially twice more than 3DS ones. Anyhow, sounds like you bought the wrong system indeed. Can't do much about that other than to sell it.

Griffith said:
Or just see what my phone can do; that's basically become my handheld. I never felt comfortable taking the 3DS out for a couple reasons (I don't like carrying extra weight for one, particularly a valuable electronic device...

Your phone is bigger than the 3DS, weights only 50 grams less (that's not heavy), and costs 4 times more. Just saying. It'll also never fully allow for the kind of games you can find on the 3DS, as I'm sure you'll come to see sooner or later.

Griffith said:
plus it makes me feel like a "gamer" in the worst sense of the word =)

Pfff, weren't you the one saying people had to take ownership of the term and fight against negative public perception or something? Way to not put your money where your mouth is!

Griffith said:
The difference is I have a lot more say and can actually port over the games I want to play for free (EarthBound, Mega Man, FFIV, FFVI, Mario 64, FFVII, FFT, SotN, Diablo, MGS), whereas on the 3DS I can pay $10 for Cave Story, a free game.

You're paying for a remake of that game done by its creator and giving the guy money in the process, as opposed to playing emulated games with shitty controls that are as free as anything you illegally download on the Internet is. Going by that mentality, you can also buy a "flash card" for 3DS and get all your games for "free". And PC games or home consoles games as well.

Griffith said:
Plus, even though I own a copy of OoT 3D and have registered it with my linked account, for some reason I can't simply put the downloadable version on my 3DS now, unless I pay $40 for it again (I'm sure there's a great reason for this like someone might try to screw Nintendo, but instead they're definitely screwing everyone). I'm rambling, but this stuff does drive me nuts. =)

Rest assured, it's the same on home consoles.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Better games? Like what?

Mass Effect. =)

Aazealh said:
You talk of buying a used NDS to play Infinite Space, but it's not like IS was a day 1 release on the DS. Nor is there a real equivalent for it, bigger and better, on the home consoles. The main advantage of handheld consoles to me was never the mobility, but rather the fact developers can release different kinds of titles on them, stuff you'd never see on home consoles. That's the only reason I buy them.

And about IS, you've only heard of it because I clung to the DS myself, and it's not like these things are without consequences. IS wasn't a big commercial success, but maybe it would have been had more of the right people (the ones who'd have bought the game) believed in the system. And if they had, maybe we'd be playing IS2 now... These things are cyclical in nature. Buying a console early means having to be patient and sift through the mediocre stuff to get to the little gems. It's a choice, and it's a statement, not unlike crowdfunding a project. You're betting on the system and showing 3rd party developers that you're there, but you're given no guarantees. I know that's not how it should be, but that's how it is nevertheless.

You're clearly more conscientious about it than I am, like a patron of the arts. I'm just ranting as a consumer from a very personal perspective, how I feel I wasted my money, which is more my fault than anything to do with the way of the video game world. Putting it out there though in case someone else might be in that same boat.

Aazealh said:
So, given that the 3DS is perfectly backwards compatible with NDS games, and that buying one is betting on the future as opposed to saving a buck while locking yourself out of said future, I'd have to recommend anyone to get a 3DS rather than a NDS. That just seems more sensible unless you realize that you might end up repeating this same cycle and buy a 3DS in a few years while a new handheld comes out.

Absolutely, can't argue with that. I was shooting from the hip and responding to the idea of one game being enough.

Aazealh said:
How many actual hours have you spent playing Super Mario 3D Land though?

As you know, I can actually tell you: 34:12. Infinite Space: 84:26, and that was one play through. OoT: 67:15, and I don't even know how I did that. I'll go ahead and admit it's easy for me to say I get nothing out of it now after already having had my fill.

Aazealh said:
I don't think so. The stylus was hardly the NDS' main selling point as far as I'm concerned. Most of my games on it I played with the buttons unless they were specifically designed for the touch experience. And not all NDS games had the "main" action occurring on the lower screen. Anyway, the 3DS builds on that, it still uses touch input but does more stuff as well.
Aazealh said:
Now, comparing it to a computer or a TV... I don't think it's very pertinent. It's just not the same experience at all. And try as they might, I doubt we'll get serious games thought for 3D on home consoles. The craze seems to have passed for good. Anyway, you're asking if any game on the 3DS is as good as RDR? Well, I absolutely loved RDR, I think it's one of the best games of the decade, but I also love Super Mario 3D Land to bits, and I wouldn't call it a lesser game at all. And you played it more than me. I also think Resident Evil: Revelations is the best title in the series since RE4, and among my favorite games in the series period

I think it emphasizes and builds on a certain style, but at the expense of another, one which is to biggest selling point of the DS line to me. I find the games that do require and effectively utilize the stylus to be very immersive. It's basically what you were talking about with games you only see on a handheld. Except the 3DS has a lot of games that might as well be on a console for how one plays them. It's nice to have a constant item screen, but it's almost like an apology (oh yeah, we have to this somehow). Obviously, those fun exclusives are still on the 3DS, it still gets credit for them, but from a philosophical standpoint I feel like neither those games nor the system are being fully utilized this way.

Aazealh said:
Oh and it has a 3D remake of the game you're continuously calling the best of all time. :iva:

I'm just stating facts, I can't help it if some people out there are confused, letting their petty preferences or revisionist history get in the way of empirical data. It's like me and my petty opinion of the 3DS must be to you, isn't it frustrating when people are just wrong!? I don't know what sort of creationist museum that OoT ISN'T the best game ever in, but I want no part of it.

Aazealh said:
Finally, it's the new home of the Monster Hunter license, the biggest new license from Japan in 10 years, the license who kept the PSP alive and one that has a lot of potential.

Guh? Buh? =)

Aazealh said:
No doubt they're making it, hell it was their demo for the system. I'm pretty sure the WW HD remake is just to make people wait.

Yeah, clearly they'll remake it after enough time has passed for it to be a "classic" (or make another in that style), but I don't know if it would be worth it this time out. Also, we've seen their tech demos before. I'd actually like to see them follow up on the style used in Skyward Sword, but pushing it as far as the latest hardware can go, not just as a clever away around limits. I basically want a Zelda game that looks identical to the Zelda artwork from the NES and SNES days (what's funny is the statue of the Hero from Wind Waker is the closest recreation of that model). Skyward Sword in HD comes the closest to giving me that feeling.

Aazealh said:
I don't think so. You can't look at 2 screens at once anyway, so you're bound to have to switch from one to the other. Before one screen had a feature the other didn't, so that made them sort of asymmetric in nature. And for the NDS' successor, every "expert" thought they'd just make the upper screen a touchscreen too, so you could do twice the touching! But that wasn't very smart, and Nintendo decided to make it 3D instead. Now, the 3D tech has its disadvantages, that's for sure, but overall I don't think that choice is detrimental at all.

The gameplay for ALL NDS games was already asymmetrical anyway. There was always a screen that was secondary to some extent. That's not changed. And that the secondary screen is more often the touchscreen than not doesn't particularly bother me. After all, when I touch it I can't see what's going on too well, so I'd rather look at the upper one anyway.

It's not equivalent though, one screen to the other, because it almost completely changes the style of play from one unique to the 3DS to one that could be on any system. So even though I'd rather look at the fancy 3D screen too, by the same token I'd rather be looking at my monitor or a TV.

Aazealh said:
But that's not to say that there'll never be a game that'll use the bottom screen as the main one again. Nintendo's stopped insisting on 3D recently, as the excitement for that tech is pretty much over. So it's become just another feature of the console instead of being THE big feature.

I hope you're right.

Aazealh said:
I don't think you're fair. Many NDS games don't use the stylus much, or not in an interesting way. And developers certainly didn't rush to make creative use of it when the NDS was released. So comparing the 2 systems at different times of their life cycle isn't very interesting. Also, that developers don't take advantage of the AR features isn't surprising at all to me. Again, be it the 2 screens or the touch input, there was no rush to do incredible things on the NDS. Same goes for the Wii. People just aren't very creative.

I don't want to be too "fair" to these uncreative people. I want to be demanding. :daiba:

Aazealh said:
Not roughly the same price, no.

Hey man, for like 230 bucks I can get a refurbished PS3 with 5 shitty games! Duke Nukem Forever, ever heard of it!? NOT on 3DS!

Aazealh said:
Anyhow, sounds like you bought the wrong system indeed. Can't do much about that other than to sell it.

Yeah, but I'm going to continue biding my time; i'm well past the point of no return. I don't feel unjustified in my complaints though as it's boosters here freely admit, "Oh, we don't have use for it for months at a time too." You may not mind, but I do.

Aazealh said:
Your phone is bigger than the 3DS, weights only 50 grams less (that's not heavy), and costs 4 times more. Just saying.

Next time say the part where I say I have to take my phone anyway, so it's actually convenient. =) Also, the 3DS is much bulkier, and that's with my phone inside a wallet.

Aazealh said:
It'll also never fully allow for the kind of games you can find on the 3DS, as I'm sure you'll come to see sooner or later.

Sure, but it also isn't offering a lot of the things I can toss on my phone; I much prefer the freedom of choice within those limits versus whatever bone they decide to throw me. I probably don't want to play most of those games anyway; my bad, but I simply have more freedom here, so a much better deal, at least for me. Plus, this is your fault, you created a monster! :iva:

Aazealh said:
Pfff, weren't you the one saying people had to take ownership of the term and fight against negative public perception or something? Way to not put your money where your mouth is!

I was defending the word itself, not what we might find objectionable about a certain type of person it can describe. BTW, heard someone use it just yesterday very casually to describe simply gaming itself. The problem with adhering to the Internet definition is it's the Internet definition; basically defined by the same people that the negative connotation of the word describes, "I am... a gamer." So yeah, let's take back that word for the dictionary and just refer to those types "lamers" or something.

Aazealh said:
You're paying for a remake of that game done by its creator and giving the guy money in the process, as opposed to playing emulated games with shitty controls that are as free as anything you illegally download on the Internet is. Going by that mentality, you can also buy a "flash card" for 3DS and get all your games for "free". And PC games or home consoles games as well.

Better than wasting hundreds if not over a thousand dollars, being left unsatisfied, and then being associated with that mentality anyway. =) Sure doesn't make me feel bad about not subsidizing companies that can't get out of their own way and offer me what I want at a reasonable price. For instance, in cases where a remake, or any product I might like, isn't even available, let alone widely, I sure can't support the creator, and like I said, I have little sympathy for the companies failing to consistently provide me with something I want to purchase. Offer me something I want, and I'll buy it. It's that simple. Hell, as I've shown, I might buy it anyway. There's a much bigger consumer issue here I'm dying to discuss, but we're running long as it is and it probably doesn't belong in this thread.

Aazealh said:
Rest assured, it's the same on home consoles.

I guess I shouldn't support that either; whole damn system is out of order! :mozgus:

Griffith

Walter said:
Guy asks if owning a 3DS is worth it. Two out of three admins say yes. :void:

We've discussed this, I'm Trotsky, eventually Aaz will have to have me put down in Mexico. :guts: Anyway, be careful Johnstantine, they're the same two admins that convinced me to buy it, and look how that turned out! Also, we all admit to having stopped playing it for months, yet I'm the only one with regrets? Who you gonna trust there? :slan:

Kidding aside, it just comes down to if you think its right for you. It was for Aaz and Wally, just maybe not for me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Mass Effect. =)

I wouldn't call it better.

Griffith said:
As you know, I can actually tell you: 34:12. Infinite Space: 84:26, and that was one play through. OoT: 67:15, and I don't even know how I did that. I'll go ahead and admit it's easy for me to say I get nothing out of it now after already having had my fill.

Easy indeed. 34 hours is more than respectable for a single player game nowadays.

Griffith said:
Except the 3DS has a lot of games that might as well be on a console for how one plays them.

No more than the NDS as far as I can tell.

Griffith said:
It's nice to have a constant item screen, but it's almost like an apology (oh yeah, we have to this somehow).

A syndrome born on the NDS. Nothing new really, and not at all related to the 3D.

Griffith said:
It's not equivalent though, one screen to the other, because it almost completely changes the style of play from one unique to the 3DS to one that could be on any system.

I don't understand what you mean. The 3DS allows for touch input just like the NDS did. That the touchscreen isn't the "main" screen doesn't have that big of an impact. And really, any game could be ported to another system with enough motivation.

Griffith said:
Hey man, for like 230 bucks I can get a refurbished PS3 with 5 shitty games!

Come on, you know what I mean. They don't go for the same price.

Griffith said:

It's the same for every system though... Even on PC I don't always have something I want to play.

Griffith said:
Next time say the part where I say I have to take my phone anyway, so it's actually convenient. =) Also, the 3DS is much bulkier, and that's with my phone inside a wallet.

Yeah, but you know what I mean: when there's a will, there's a way. It's not a super big or excessively fragile device. I'm not going to argue it's practical to always have it with you or anything (and I totally see why you don't do it), but it's also not undoable.

Griffith said:
Sure doesn't make me feel bad about not subsidizing companies that can't get out of their own way and offer me what I want at a reasonable price. For instance, in cases where a remake, or any product I might like, isn't even available, let alone widely, I sure can't support the creator, and like I said, I have little sympathy for the companies failing to consistently provide me with something I want to purchase. Offer me something I want, and I'll buy it.

Those games you mentioned playing on your phone like FF7 or FFT are available for a correct price on the PSP, a system that's available for cheap nowadays. They're downloadable, and FFT for example isn't just a port but a full remake with additional content. The entire original team came back for it.

Griffith said:
Kidding aside, it just comes down to if you think its right for you. It was for Aaz and Wally, just maybe not for me.

What surprises me is how highly you think of the NDS to be honest. The 3DS is a pretty straightforward successor to it, and so far they're having almost exactly the same life.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Easy indeed. 34 hours is more than respectable for a single player game nowadays.

That's from replaying it multiple times and doing everything at least twice (four times counting doing all the levels with Mario and Luigi =).

Aazealh said:
I don't understand what you mean. The 3DS allows for touch input just like the NDS did. That the touchscreen isn't the "main" screen doesn't have that big of an impact. And really, any game could be ported to another system with enough motivation.

I guess we just see this fundamentally differently, you see that they still could do anything they did on the NDS, which is true, I just happen to think they generally aren't because of the shift in emphasis. I think it's a very suibtle thing that ultimately makes a big difference because people are basically uncreative as you pointed out. I probably haven't played enough straightforward NDS games to really judge, all my experiences have been very stylus heavy, but I can tell you it's been the opposite with 3DS games.

Aazealh said:
Come on, you know what I mean. They don't go for the same price.

I know, I wasn't really championing the ability to play DNF.

Aazealh said:
It's the same for every system though... Even on PC I don't always have something I want to play.

PCs are little unfair to both our points, since they're obviously far more versatile than consoles, even if you're not gaming it's not like it's just collecting dust. Same with phones. I think the larger point is they might all be interchangeable at some point. Problematic, but it solves a lot of problems too.

Aazealh said:
Those games you mentioned playing on your phone like FF7 or FFT are available for a correct price on the PSP, and system that's available for cheap nowadays. They're downloadable, and FFT for example isn't just a port but a full remake with additional content. The entire original team came back for it.

Sure, but buying a system and a game I already own just to casually replay it, even a remake, on a whim is a bit much to reasonably expect. I guess the answer is I should just not play it at all then, but I don't think I'm a bad actor for NOT doing that when I have a perfectly legal and free alternative. Bigger picture, the issue to me is that with these alternatives available, they aren't taking advantage of demand by offering more convenient pay alternatives. If I could have downloaded FFT on my phone for a reasonable price, I would have. They weren't selling, and in many such electronic cases providers aren't for a variety of reasons I hope will change over time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
That's from replaying it multiple times and doing everything at least twice (four times counting doing all the levels with Mario and Luigi =).

I know. But isn't that a testament to the game's appeal? As much as I loved RDR, I didn't replay it. :slan:

Griffith said:
I probably haven't played enough straightforward NDS games to really judge, all my experiences have been very stylus heavy, but I can tell you it's been the opposite with 3DS games.

Yeah, that might factor in. All told I've played about 60 games on the NDS.

Griffith said:
PCs are little unfair to both our points, since they're obviously far more versatile than consoles, even if you're not gaming it's not like it's just collecting dust. Same with phones. I think the larger point is they might all be interchangeable at some point. Problematic, but it solves a lot of problems too.

Yeah, I just meant that even on a platform where there's seemingly an endless amount of titles I'm never continously playing.

Griffith said:
Sure, but buying a system and a game I already own just to casually replay it, even a remake, on a whim is a bit much to reasonably expect. I guess the answer is I should just not play it at all then, but I don't think I'm a bad actor for NOT doing that when I have a perfectly legal and free alternative. Bigger picture, the issue to me is that with these alternatives available, they aren't taking advantage of demand by offering a more convenient pay alternatives. If I could have downloaded FFT on my phone for a reasonable price, I would have. They weren't selling, and in many such electronic cases providers aren't for a variety of reasons I hope will change over time.

Honestly I don't think you'll ever get what you want, which is for a myriad of rival companies to work together to produce a single dream system where every game is released for cheap and so on. Not that this wouldn't be every consumer's dream, but it's not happening.

Meanwhile, back to Crimson Shroud's NG+. :rakshas:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Honestly I don't think you'll ever get what you want, which is for a myriad of rival companies to work together to produce a single dream system where every game is released for cheap and so on. Not that this wouldn't be every consumer's dream, but it's not happening.

No, even better: there is no system. And it already is happening, the market just hasn't caught up yet. I think they eventually will and everyone will be happier, but I'm clearly an optimist. :griffnotevil:

Aazealh said:
Meanwhile, back to Crimson Shroud's NG+. :rakshas:

I'll have to check that out, it sounds especially cool since it's a download. As Wally said, the original eshop content is actually pretty awesome, but... addictive.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I'm not even going to bother quoting you guys, so I'll just say this: I forgot about this thread and forgot that I wanted a 3DS :troll:

Anywho, I'll most likely purchase one, if not for Super Mario 3D Land. I looked at it an immediately fell in love with it. I borrowed my sister's older DS (one of the first ones, I think) and generally enjoyed it. I even played this Infinite Space you all love to talk about. I didn't have the time to get into it though, so maybe I'll try it again. I'm pretty sure my time on it was about 1:00!

Griffith

Aazealh said:
I wouldn't call it better.

I didn't want to get into it while in the heat of our discussion, so retroactive reply: you technically already did on the podcast, your game of this generation, remember? :carcus: I should pull the sound bite and post a wav repeating in super slow mooo. :ganishka:

Johnstantine said:
I'm not even going to bother quoting you guys, so I'll just say this: I forgot about this thread and forgot that I wanted a 3DS :troll:

You forgot about it in a day? Anyway, I would have rather everyone responded to my Zelda bait rather than 3DS hate. If someone were to bump the Zelda thread so I didn't have to double post, I might have something to say in there. :daiba:

Johnstantine said:
Anywho, I'll most likely purchase one, if not for Super Mario 3D Land. I looked at it an immediately fell in love with it.

It's pretty great, like if Super Mario Bros 3 was made today. Great "classic" feel and an effectively lively atmosphere that make it feel like an old school Nintendo game, a quality it shares with Skyward Sword.

Johnstantine said:
I borrowed my sister's older DS (one of the first ones, I think) and generally enjoyed it. I even played this Infinite Space you all love to talk about.

!!!

Yeah, you should play that ASAP. Mario 3D Land isn't going anywhere, or getting any cheaper for that matter; it's a first party Nintendo title so it'll still retail for full price a decade from now. :iva:

Johnstantine said:
I didn't have the time to get into it though, so maybe I'll try it again. I'm pretty sure my time on it was about 1:00!

You makin' fun of my flight hours logged, boi? :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I didn't want to get into it while in the heat of our discussion, so retroactive reply: you technically already did on the podcast, your game of this generation, remember? :carcus: I should pull the sound bite and post a wav repeating in super slow mooo. :ganishka:

Well that's because I had to choose one, but I truly wouldn't call Infinite Space a lesser game. And it's not like one can replace the other anyway, they just share a theme, but are overall rather different titles. The argument that NDS/3DS titles are all inferior versions of games you can find on home consoles is just not true. It actually is more the case with the PSVita though, which I believe plays a part in its dismal commercial reception.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Well that's because I had to choose one, but I truly wouldn't call Infinite Space a lesser game. And it's not like one can replace the other anyway, they just share a theme, but are overall rather different titles.

Well, I think I recalled on that same pod that you had privately told me before that you preferred Infinite Space, so it's clearly an unsettled toss up that depends on the moment for you. Different kinds of experiences like you say, but by that token...

Aazealh said:
The argument that NDS/3DS titles are all inferior versions of games you can find on home consoles is just not true.

... consoles can do things on a grander scale. Infinite Space has some absolutely huge universe-shaking moments, but they're not depicted with equal grandeur as say running on the guts of the Citadel towards an attached, tentacle-wagging, Sovereign. Them both being in a class by themselves, it makes sense that one would privately advocate Infinite Space as their favorite but for something like GAME OF THE GENERATION nominate Mass Effect. Each choice is most appropriate in their respective contexts; a personal appreciation versus something of more universal significance. So, the difference is as much an advantage for handhelds as console games; what they may lack in sheer grandiosity they can make up for in intimacy...

Aazealh said:
It actually is more the case with the PSVita though, which I believe plays a part in its dismal commercial reception.

...or at least they should to be successful. =)

P.S. Intimate Space? :ganishka:
gutsbarf.gif

Top Bottom