Episode 317

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The idea of Farnese summoning the Four Kings is initially surprising until you realize she's already learned enough to leave her body, which is really the basis for making contact with such beings. We probably didn't fully recognize her progress because of lack of expectations for her so soon. Suddenly the sky's the limit though. Now about those fire spells...
serpicosad.gif

Staralfur said:
Maybe it's just me but doesn't it look like the Moonlight boy has grown quite a bit since the last time we saw him?
Aazealh said:
It's not just you, he does look a bit older in that shot.

Reminds me of an abandoned plot thread from 20 Years Later, the Moonlight Boy growing up to become Old Guts' young doppelganger! :guts:

The difference could be negligible though, the boy initially looked older than when he went with the gang to the shack for the "family moment," where he became extra child-like. His body is noticeably more defined here though.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I haven't read it so I can't say for sure. I can speculate that Casca either hugs him, or carries him with her.

That's a good guess, if he doesn't disappear again.

Anyway, BALLSY move by Schierke jumping onto the back of the Beast! :isidro:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting indeed. The boy managed to clear Guts' vision, which in turn triggered an attempt to deactivate the armor (as he struggled to regain control?) but that failed... That's why Schierke had to jump on his back and finish the job, so to speak. Then they all get back to the Sea Horse, where Farnese will attempt to cast the spell under Schierke's supervision. Hmm, I wonder how things will turn out with the boy in the end, since this time they're definitely aware that something's up with him.

And will the Sea God try to go for the ship directly after all?

Griffith

Interesting that things geared down so quickly, I imagine the pirates will be returning with more powerful reinforcements, perhaps even the Sea God itself. I'm most interested in what Guts and Schierke have to say about the boy though. Glad he stuck around for now.

Cool episode with a lot of dialog! I'm interested to see the dynamics of the whether the Moonlight Boy's presence will affect their attack on the Sea God (like with the Sea God probably sensing what the Moonlight Boy is all about and changing it's intentions perhaps).

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
My personal favorite for the last 5 episodes. Plenty of cool things happen, Schierke is an action hero in this one, jumping daringly on the back of a wild bull like that, put a smile across my face for sure. :guts:

Definitely a nice month! Also, I wonder what guts said that made Schierke blush like that? :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I only had a chance to skim the ep, since I'm still at work, but man, it's a classic! I always love seeing Guts and the child interact. Seeing them here brought back fond memories of their family moments in vol 28.

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed that Schierke didn't witness or sense anything about the boy while he was interacting with Guts. She had the opportunity, but of course, she was preoccupied with getting Guts back to normal. Priorities!

The ep ends with Schierke walking Farnese through the contract with the 4 Kings. Though it's unclear to me whether that's meant to protect their ship from any attacks in the future, or if that's the first stage in the full-on retreat process.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Summary:

Once Guts can recognize his friends, he sees that he shouldn't lose them. The group wonders what's happening. Schierke says that Guts is defying the armor's Od, and that now is the time for her to act. Once it's done, Isidro congratulates Schierke. Guts thanks her too, and Ivalera underlines how important she is, a life-saver, etc. Magnifico says Guts is a one-man army, more powerful than a battleship. Then Serpico points out that Casca is holding the boy. They all recognize him. Schierke's suspicious. Isidro asks why he's naked, and Puck (who's always naked) defends the lifestyle.

Schierke reflects to herself on the boy and how he had first appeared during a full moon night as well. During the full moon, every magic power is increased. How could she not notice him so far? But this time he doesn't have the mysterious, hostile Od he had the last time. After that, Isma introduces herself as the only survivor of the island after finding clothes for the boy. Isidro asks Roderick to take her with them. Roderick hesitates but Isidro insists, asking him if he's heartless and would leave a poor girl in a den of monsters. Roderick eventually accepts. Isidro tells her to join them and to think only of the future, forgetting about the past. Isma wonders about leaving but is excited by adventure and obviously accepts. Magnifico complains about his sleeping conditions. Roderick wants to go back to the ship, but Guts warns them that it's not over yet, something's left. Magnifico asks him to explain. Guts declares that he'll put an end to what's going on around there.

Magnifico says they don't know where the monsters' den is. Isma replies that she knows: it's in the cave. They're hesitating as to what to do. Schierke says she has an idea. She proposes to go back to the ship. Schierke tells Guts he should prepare for a big fight. He agrees and speaks to her using a honorific term. On the ship, Schierke explains that they'll cast the spell in the heart of the ship. Isma is excited to see magic. Magnifico is... well he reacts to the fact a Vandimion is in that situation. Farnese complains that it's too much for her. Schierke explains that she'll go with Guts inside the enemy lair using her body of light while Farnese will protect the ship. Schierke reassures her by telling her that while it is a very powerful spell, it is a relatively basic ritual and is a good starting point as long as you know how to leave your body in spirit form.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Roderick wants to go back to the ship, but Guts warns them that it's not over yet, something's left. Magnifico asks him to explain. Guts declares that he'll put an end to what's going on around there.

Schierke tells Guts he should prepare for a big fight. ... Schierke explains that she'll go with Guts inside the enemy lair using her body of light while Farnese will protect the ship.
Well then! That settles things pretty clearly for the future. Next few episodes are sounding like they'll be amazing. A (mostly) one-on-one confrontation with the Sea God in the heart of his lair. :isidro:

This all sort of reminds me of the Qliphoth, when Guts stayed behind to "finish" the Trolls. And we all know how that turned out. :slan:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Well then! That settles things pretty clearly for the future. Next few episodes are sounding like they'll be amazing. A (mostly) one-on-one confrontation with the Sea God in the heart of his lair. :isidro:

Considering the way the dead slugs were all simultaneously pulled back underground, I think it's safe to assume the Sea God is going to be really, really big (i.e. they're all part of its body?). I'm very much looking forward to the confrontation, with Guts on the physical side of things and Schierke on the astral one. It's going to be an epic battle.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Considering the way the dead slugs were all simultaneously pulled back underground, I think it's safe to assume the Sea God is going to be really, really big (i.e. they're all part of its body?). I'm very much looking forward to the confrontation, with Guts on the physical side of things and Schierke on the astral one. It's going to be an epic battle.
Since it's just Guts down there alone with Schierke only in astral form, I wonder if he'll unleash the power of the armor again, seeing as there wouldn't be many casualties (apart from himself of course).

Lots of possibilities here. All of them awesome.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Since it's just Guts down there alone with Schierke only in astral form, I wonder if he'll unleash the power of the armor again, seeing as there wouldn't be many casualties (apart from himself of course).

Could be, but then he'd be in grave danger himself unless she manages to directly interfere with the armor (which she failed to do moments ago). I'm going to go out on a limb, but I hope he does this the old fashioned way, with Puck at his side and Schierke as astral support. :guts:

Walter said:
Lots of possibilities here. All of them awesome.

Indeed. The only certainty is that it'll be awesome.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Isidro actually agreed to stay behind? :schnoz:

I thought he would want to rush into the depths along-side Guts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
Isidro actually agreed to stay behind? :schnoz:

I thought he would want to rush into the depths along-side Guts.

Well we don't know yet how's going to go down and who will do what. Schierke told Guts to prepare because he's the main player and for now they're all back on the ship to prepare, that's all. We know that Farnese will stay behind to protect the ship and that Schierke's body will remain there as well while she accompanies Guts in her astral form, but as far as the other characters go nothing's certain. Since only Isma and Isidro know where the cave is, one of them might have to come along... Or not, we'll see. Not sure what Serpico will do either (Guts might ask him to stay behind for protection), and I wonder where Azan is... Asleep I guess?

I hope for him he's not sleeping in the rowboat Guts will use to go back to the island. :void: Speaking of which, I wonder if the boy won't play stowaway to try to follow daddy into action. Would make for an interesting development.

Griffith

I'm curious to learn more about Guts' motivations here in pursuing the Sea God, it seems odd to risk everything by looking for a fight if they could possibly just avoid it. Perhaps he feels it's not that simple.

"NOW IT'S PERSONAL!" :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I'm curious to learn more about Guts' motivations here in pursuing the Sea God, it seems odd to risk everything by looking for a fight if they could possibly just avoid it. Perhaps he feels it's not that simple.

Well keep in mind they were at sea all by themselves and hadn't asked anything to anyone when they were first attacked by the ghost ship. Then they were forced to stop to repair the ship, and were attacked again. Guts here is pretty much saying he's going to terminate the thing(s) that's been harassing them for the past couple of days.

Anyway, there's really a lot of things to love in this episode, and a lot of great panels. I like how Farnese' dagger appears in the astral world for example, and given the way its hilt looks I wonder if it won't be of some use to her (especially since she doesn't have a staff).

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Well keep in mind they were at sea all by themselves and hadn't asked anything to anyone when they were first attacked by the ghost ship. Then they were forced to stop to repair the ship, and were attacked again. Guts here is pretty much saying he's going to terminate the thing(s) that's been harassing them for the past couple of days.

That's what I was wondering, and if in his estimation it wouldn't be so easy as to just leave anyway. Could also be a growing righteous spirit; forget the God Hand, he's going to put a stop all these wicked fuckin' things! :guts:

Aazealh said:
Anyway, there's really a lot of things to love in this episode, and a lot of great panels. I like how Farnese' dagger appears in the astral world for example, and given the way its hilt looks I wonder if it won't be of some use for her (especially since she doesn't have a staff).

Yeah, that shot stands out as my favorite of the astral projections in the series because Farnese's outfit cuts such an interesting figure. Also love the shot of the armor coming off Guts with Schierke on his back. Somehow it's more monstrous seeing it halfway off like that; he looks like Frankenstein crossed with Darth Vader. =)

Awesome episode. I don't mean to deviate from the conversation, but I was wondering if there was a thread on this forum dedicated to news and updates on the upcoming Berserk Anime?

Cool episode. Really hoping we find out something about the boy before he disappears again.

Chrono said:
I don't mean to deviate from the conversation, but I was wondering if there was a thread on this forum dedicated to news and updates on the upcoming Berserk Anime?

Here

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Chrono said:
Awesome episode. I don't mean to deviate from the conversation, but I was wondering if there was a thread on this forum dedicated to news and updates on the upcoming Berserk Anime?

Here's the link http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=12087.0

I also liked the episode and got a glance when Schierke is on Guts back and the armor is coming off from his arms, I thought that was pretty cool to see how the process in coming off is. Glad to see Farnese leveling up in her magic.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
My first impression, not knowing anything that's being said, was, "WHAT?! ARE THEY READY TO LEAVE THE ISLAND?!?"

I was a bit disappointed for a second, which is strange! As much as I'd love to see the gang head to Elfhelm, I'm glad they're staying to take care of business. As mentioned before, we are indeed in for a wild ride.

There was so much great art in this episode, I don't know where the hell to begin... So many great Guts shots, for one. Specifically, the Berserker "ROAR" shot. Look at how his neck is stretching!

I'm a huge fan of seeing Guts all worn out looking. His hair scruffy and his face covered with smudges and scabs. What a studmuffin. Speaking of which, one of my favorite moments was after Schierke RIPPED the helmet open. Guts gave her a smile I can't really remember him giving anyone in a long time. It was a genuinely warm, "Hey, thanks a million, buddy."

Another great moment was when Guts looked at Farny before she was getting ready to cast the spell. Her face was determined yet nervous.

The boy being back is a great addition to this arc. I'm interested about the lack of his ominous od... And I can't wait to see what Guts says about him.

Miura is seriously on a roll here. Fantastic episode, and I cannot wait for more.

Gobolatula said:
Another great moment was when Guts looked at Farny before she was getting ready to cast the spell. Her face was determined yet nervous.

Haha that scene is so freakin' adorable.

I find it really interesting that Farnese has legs in her astral form... I don't recall that happening before on her or Schierke (other than when she's first.. drawing.. her astral body). It looks really cool and sleek; even Schierke is checkin' her legs out. :troll:

The next few episodes are going to be so epic. Farnese power!

Top Bottom