Movies you've recently watched

Couldn't find a topic for this, but merge if I missed it :magni:

Yesterday was an all day lazy bones movie day ...

ils+poster.jpg

Ils - I'd read good things about the movie, and it disappointed just a bit. But, the concept was pretty good. The movie has a young couple who have newly moved into a house in the woods. Late at night, they suspect someone's broken in and go downstairs to investigate. The end is what you're looking for to churn up a surprise.

Kak-Ya-Provyol-Etim-Letom-How-I-Ended-This-Summer.jpg

How I Ended This Summer - I've always wanted to live in the Arctic for a few months, and this movie just makes me want to go even more. 2 men (a younger chap, Danilov, who's up at the station for just this season and an older chap, Gulybin, who's been at the station for years) are in charge of a weather station in the Arctic, taking readings and reporting them on a daily basis. Danilov is given bad news via a radio message which changes the dynamics of story. Danilov hides the news for his own reasons of fear of how Gulybin would react and things pick up.

reign-of-assassins-2010-1.jpg

Reign Of Assassins - Surprisingly decent even though you see a typical poster and a typical story-line. Fight scenes aren't over-drawn, it's character driven, and the story pans out pretty good.

Enter-the-void-poster.png

Enter The Void - I don't smoke pot but this movie gives me an idea of what's going on in the heads of people who do, that's 1 facet of the story (initially in the movie) but it's a lot more complex than that sort of like a drama/ thriller. The director Gasper Noe (also made Irreversible) nails this trippy movie to the wall leaving the viewer feel like it's a 5 hour movie and you're trapped in the mind + soul of the protagonist, seeing things from his point of view. The soundtrack's brooding, the directing's fascinating, characters feel real and if you like confusing movies, this is one for you.

Eluvei said:
I watched Wong Kar-Wai's Ashes of Time Redux today, hoping it would be better than the original cut. It isn't. :void:
The movie only looks a lot clearer (the print I mean) but the editing is choppy and the fact that he cut off 2 fight scenes didn't go well with me. I prefer the original for sure.

This afternoon I watched

dark_days.jpg

It's just an hour and a half long (approx) but it's so good, and I'll have to look for the soundtrack to buy.

the-bride-with-white-hair.jpg

Got bored and re-watched this classic the moment I plugged in my external HD to look for interesting stuff. I guess it had something to do with watching Reign Of Assassins last night, might hop on to a few others in the same genre/ style cos of the mood I'm in hehe. Brigitte Lin <3

Antichrist was fun to watch at the IFC theater when it came out :zodd:. I kinda looked over my shoulder a few times to see what the reaction of the ladies was during some scenes, even the men cringed a few times.

The-Tenant-1976.jpg

The Tenant - a lot more understandable if you've read the book, but Polanski pulls it off well with good acting, and a decent attempt at the adaptation. I felt it could've been a lot better, but for it's time it was pretty good.

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Enter-the-void-poster.png

Enter The Void - I don't smoke pot but this movie gives me an idea of what's going on in the heads of people who do, that's 1 facet of the story (initially in the movie) but it's a lot more complex than that sort of like a drama/ thriller. The director Gasper Noe (also made Irreversible) nails this trippy movie to the wall leaving the viewer feel like it's a 5 hour movie and you're trapped in the mind + soul of the protagonist, seeing things from his point of view. The soundtrack's brooding, the directing's fascinating, characters feel real and if you like confusing movies, this is one for you.

Finally saw this. I thought it was pretty amazing, just from a technical standpoint. I was really in awe, and some scenes were truly horrifying. My only complaint was that it seemed to drag on at some parts, felt really long. But an amazing film nonetheless.

I don't smoke pot but this movie gives me an idea of what's going on in the heads of people who do,

lol. You do realize they were doing some of the most hardcore psychedelics in film right? If you think pot will give you those effects your delusional. Matter of fact, marijuana was the one thing I don't remember them even using.

IncantatioN said:
This afternoon I watched

dark_days.jpg

It's just an hour and a half long (approx) but it's so good, and I'll have to look for the soundtrack to buy.
The soundtrack is from DJ Shadow, one of my favorite artists. I grew up listening to shadow and i was lucky to see him in a Live perfomance a few month ago. :ubik:

Recently i watched Inception and i have to say that i really liked it.

Yeah Oburi, it did feel long. I re-watched it with a pal this time at the theater and I thought it'd give me a headache, but I quite enjoyed it the second time around. It's unfortunately just too self-indulgent.

Yeah Rus, I looked for it on Amazon and picked it up. Didn't know it was DJ Shadow to be honest, I'll check out his other stuff. My package from Amazon hasn't come to me yet grrrr!

the-painted-veil-2006.jpg

Not as good as I'd hoped it to be, but eehh.

Was bored and re-watched ...

Triangle-movie-2009-1.jpg

Oburi said:
My only complaint was that it seemed to drag on at some parts, felt really long.

That's an understatement in my opinion. It goes on aimlessly after the cool beginning. I really wanted to enjoy this movie, but it's just laughably trite.

I saw Point Blank yesterday and it was pretty cool.

I thought The Hurt Locker was good, but not good enough to win so many freggin awards!! I guess the competition wasn't good enough :p. The Road was so good imo, and I was telling a friend of mine a week or two ago about Point Blank! Cool coincidence ^_^. I'm going on an Alien marathon, unboxing my 6 disc Blu Ray Alien set and go for it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I agree, I thought Hurt Locker was good, but not exactly the masterpiece people told me it was.

Are you guys talking about Keanu Reeves and Gary Busey Point Break?

Aaaaah my bad, I just IMDB'd it ... I was referring to Point Break in my post. The one with Patrick, Reeves and directed by Bigelow. I've been itching to re-watch it, but in due time.

I opened up the Alien box-set, and went through the 5th Blu Ray disc with specials and what not. Then hopped on to re-watch ...

inland-empire-the-cinema-in-trouble.png

Better than what I remembered, but clocking 3 hours felt a little long. Definitely not as good as Mulholland Drive, but Lynch touches on Hollywood and an actress's situation yet again.
It's hard for me to exactly pin-point where the story goes but I've watched it 5 times now, and sort of get the gist of it. Nikki seems to be insecure about her movie role, and when she lands it she falls into troubled waters with the affair with her co-star. I guess it's about overcoming her fears and going through the whole ordeal, being the victor in the end. It sort of comes full circle when she meets the viewer in the movie, who I assume understands/ relates to everything Nikki goes through in the movie. Took me a while to figure what was significant about Room 47, then it clicked that Iron's character talks of the original story that was titled Room 47 *phew*. Of course there's a lot that happens which leads to her going to the Room, and the significance of the Phantom, who she kills at the end. The cigarette through the silk is a bit intriguing but it sorta marks the silk as a gun-shot, so it might have something to do with Hollywood's murders where infidelity's the reason for those murders maybe? I say infidelity because Nikki's husband warns Billy about touching his wife, and Nikki falling for her co-star is one of the wrongs she faces consequences for. *sigh* There's a lot to take in. Thank god I don't have Mulholland Drive on me right now (lent it to a friend) cos I'd fry my brain with a back to back Lynch re-watch spree.

Alright, nice and dark outside and inside the apartment that sets me up to watch Alien.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I really wanted to love Inland Empire, but from what I remember I don't think I could get past it being shot on video, I just can't watch movies like that.

Watched Alien and Aliens last night, and went with the extended versions for both of them, like both directors quoted they'd want the viewer to see versus the theatrical version. It's unbelievable watching it on Blu Ray because it looks like a movie made today and you can toy with the extra features it comes with like it'll prompt you when deleted scenes appear, and all that jazz. There's also a Mu mode that I gotta try. In terms of the scare factor, Alien is better than Aliens.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm jealous, I want to watch the alien movies on blu-ray so bad now. I hate dishing out the money and buying blu-rays just to watch them at a friends house since I don't have a blu-ray player. I just did it with predator and man, it never looked so good.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
Watched Alien and Aliens last night, and went with the extended versions for both of them, like both directors quoted they'd want the viewer to see versus the theatrical version.

Actually, Ridley Scott said, "Upon viewing the proposed expanded version of the film, I felt that the cut was simply too long and the pacing completely thrown off. After all, I cut those scenes out for a reason back in 1979. However, in the interest of giving the fans a new experience with Alien, I figured there had to be an appropriate middle ground. I chose to go in and recut that proposed long version into a more streamlined and polished alternate version of the film. For marketing purposes, this version is being called 'The Director's Cut.'"

He also said, "For all intents and purposes, I felt that the original cut of Alien was perfect. I still feel that way." (I agree :guts:).

However, I believe Cameron said something along the lines of the extended version of Aliens being the epic ride he'd always wanted audiences to see. Aside from the scene with Newt's parents discovering the derelict spacecraft, I really enjoyed the extended version of Aliens. I can't wait for my box set come Christmas. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. :serpico:

That's cool. I'm not sure when Ridley said what you quote above, but I just put my Blu Ray back on for Alien and it gives you an option whether you'd want to go with the Theatrical Release or the 2003 Restored Release. I'd chosen 2003 yesterday, and I did so just now. When you hit Play, Ridley comes on screen at the beginning of the movie (just as Cameron came in to say a little word before Aliens starts) to tell you this - "I directed Alien which now would be almost quarter of a century ago. In that time I've praised the original version, 2 or 3 times. Never any dramatic changes because I think the film completed at the time was good. I've always been rather proud of it. But, over the years with the advent of tape and now the digital market, which is DVD, there have been a few adjustments and changes. Most recently I've decided to reintroduce some footage that's never been seen before into this version. Also, I think I made some minor adjustments because, after 25 years, eventually you do start to see some little things you'd like to adjust. So I hope you agree with me and I hope you enjoy it."

So, it's kinda cool to hear the director's views of their movies regardless. I'm about to start Alien 3 in a bit, and prolly Resurrection if I'm home later this evening. When I pre-ordered this set months ago, I got a 40$ discount, but as I see it right now, it's at a 50-60 % discount! Either way, I got my set the week it came out, and just found the time (and the mood) to enjoy it in it's entirety. I'm sure you'd love it too Rhombaad!

Oburi

All praise Grail
I will say one scene that made me shit my pants in Enter The Void was when
he's going through all the flashbacks in his life and it's relatively happy until he and sister are in the car and BAM! Head on collision with a truck and his parents are killed in the front seat. That scene captured the horror of a car accident like none other, very chilling.

Yeah that scene + the scene at the end when they're in the cab + the scene in the bathroom at the beginning are alike, in terms of shock-value.

Taipei_Exchange_36_2010_4815_poster.jpg

Watched Taipei Exchange last night, sort of a light comedy/ drama about a coffee place that's unique because it allows people to come in and exchange things they'd want to trade in for anything they see at the coffee place.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
That's cool. I'm not sure when Ridley said what you quote above, but I just put my Blu Ray back on for Alien and it gives you an option whether you'd want to go with the Theatrical Release or the 2003 Restored Release. I'd chosen 2003 yesterday, and I did so just now. When you hit Play, Ridley comes on screen at the beginning of the movie (just as Cameron came in to say a little word before Aliens starts) to tell you this - "I directed Alien which now would be almost quarter of a century ago. In that time I've praised the original version, 2 or 3 times. Never any dramatic changes because I think the film completed at the time was good. I've always been rather proud of it. But, over the years with the advent of tape and now the digital market, which is DVD, there have been a few adjustments and changes. Most recently I've decided to reintroduce some footage that's never been seen before into this version. Also, I think I made some minor adjustments because, after 25 years, eventually you do start to see some little things you'd like to adjust. So I hope you agree with me and I hope you enjoy it."

Interesting... Damn directors and their multiple movie versions. Just make the movie and leave it alone. (I'm looking at you Michael Mann :puck:)

IncantatioN said:
When I pre-ordered this set months ago, I got a 40$ discount, but as I see it right now, it's at a 50-60 % discount! Either way, I got my set the week it came out, and just found the time (and the mood) to enjoy it in it's entirety. I'm sure you'd love it too Rhombaad!

I wish I could buy it now instead of having to wait, but after this week's car repair (which has been a long time coming), I'm completely broke. I'm not even sure I have enough food for this weekend... :sad:

Haha yeah, agreed.

I'm super broke too. All my purchases these past few months have tightened my wallet, poor thing's a few sizes lighter >_>'

Knight-and-Day1.jpg

Watched this last night while gorging on some food for over an hour *bad eating habit > bad spending habit or about the same*. It's a pretty decent fun flick actually, nothing to be taken too seriously. Cruise and Diaz are pretty good init.

Last night I watched Valhalla Rising, and really enjoyed it.

Valhalla-Rising.jpg

Don't be fooled by the box art though. This is a slow, meditative, vivid film, and though it does have some extreme violence, overall its very quiet and deliberate.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Watched some anime. " Memories" My first time watching it, and enjoyed it. I would say "Magnetic Rose" was the winner for me." Stink bomb" could have been better if it had more depth, the protagonist was too much of a ditz. "Cannon fodder" was more intriguing, since I never saw what or whom the people were fighting and the art style was in par with how the story was made.

JudeauChop said:
Last night I watched Valhalla Rising, and really enjoyed it.

Valhalla-Rising.jpg

Don't be fooled by the box art though. This is a slow, meditative, vivid film, and though it does have some extreme violence, overall its very quiet and deliberate.
Yeah I watched it on Saturday, kinda under-whelming but the stills in the movie are pretty good.

Last night

due_date_movie.jpg

Picked this last night because it was just me and my pal's Mom at the theaters, she preferred Comedies only. So figured why not, and it turned out to be pretty decent. Couple of scenes here and there that got me laughing.

127-hours-310x390.jpg

Damn good, gritty, funny at times, emotional, gut wrenching, triumphant - all those emotions in that order. I'd recommend it, but don't watch the end if you can't stand the sight of blood *makes note to self after what happened ... >_>'*

Top Bottom