Author Topic: Movies you've recently watched  (Read 148372 times)

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
Re: Movies you've recently watched
« Reply #1250 on: November 18, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »

Watched Justice League on opening night and it was a mess. I went with the lowest of expectations and here's what that did for me - I realized after the movie that some of the action was cool and left it at that. On my commute to work the next morning, none of that really mattered and what I thought last night about the characters, shallow motives, bad or flat jokes, a Batman that blows, weird jarring CG or whatever in the beginning and all the problems it had were there to stay. The villain was weak and it didn't really explain a lot of things about what was going on. Without spoiling much, I'll say I enjoyed the Flash and some of the humor around him. His treatment reminds of the current (light, funny) Spiderman reboot. I read early tweets about JL being better than BvS but that's a low standard to begin with.

Speaking of messes, I almost forgot about The Dark Tower. I finally watched it on a long flight and regretted it instantly. It didn't piss me off as The Last Airbender but it left a hole in the 'what if' or 'why did they do it this way' department. The trailer is mad deceptive and shows most of the coolest action sequences that simply look cool no doubt but the movie lacks substance and you don't get behind, at all.
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Offline Johnstantine

« Reply #1251 on: November 19, 2017, 03:58:23 AM »

Watched Justice League on opening night and it was a mess. I went with the lowest of expectations and here's what that did for me - I realized after the movie that some of the action was cool and left it at that. On my commute to work the next morning, none of that really mattered and what I thought last night about the characters, shallow motives, bad or flat jokes, a Batman that blows, weird jarring CG or whatever in the beginning and all the problems it had were there to stay. The villain was weak and it didn't really explain a lot of things about what was going on. Without spoiling much, I'll say I enjoyed the Flash and some of the humor around him. His treatment reminds of the current (light, funny) Spiderman reboot. I read early tweets about JL being better than BvS but that's a low standard to begin with.

Man, I hate to agree with you since I love DC, but god damn I feel the same way. Honestly, to me it's a lot like Tomorrowland--I hated it, but I loved it and I can't explain why. Weirdly, I actually enjoyed Steppenwolf as a villain, but I hated Batman (complete 180 from BvS, which is the version I loved). Even Diana felt completely different in this. Aquaman was just sort of all over the place with his characterization, while Vic was pretty spot-on. Barry though...he was like a mix of Wally, Barry, Jessie and Bart in one. He was super awkward, which I think the intention was. Ezra Miller did a great job, though. I think they finally got Superman right, too. Felt like he was flying through blue skies again, like he should be.

Strangely, I think the movie would have been much better had Snyder just stayed on and finished. I absolutely loathe Joss Whedon, so hearing he had been hired to finish up production was a major boner-kill. You could tell the exact moments he touched up since he has to always add in some shitty one-liners or humor.

As I'm typing this now, the movie hasn't even made $100,000,000 at the box office, which is the lowest a DC movie has opened to. It's a shame that WB didn't take notice of what made Wonder Woman such a success and approached this as such. I imagine heads will roll once the weekend is up, because the word of mouth on this movie isn't strong enough to give it some extra legs in the coming weeks. Apparently they needed to make $600,000,000 worldwide to break even, but that probably won't even happen.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #1252 on: November 19, 2017, 10:40:14 AM »
It's a shame that WB didn't take notice of what made Wonder Woman such a success and approached this as such.

Allow me to infuriate you by saying Wonder Woman was mediocre at best as a movie, and that its success rested almost exclusively on the popularity of the character itself and what she embodies (female empowerment) in a social context where it's sorely needed.

Offline Johnstantine

« Reply #1253 on: November 19, 2017, 01:47:44 PM »
Allow me to infuriate you by saying Wonder Woman was mediocre at best as a movie, and that its success rested almost exclusively on the popularity of the character itself and what she embodies (female empowerment) in a social context where it's sorely needed.

I don’t find it infuriating. There were a lot of cringey moments in the movie. It wasn’t my favorite, but I also didn’t hate it. Like you said, it was mediocre.

Gal Gadot happened to be my “boner of the month” at the time, so I enjoyed it for what it was.

Offline ThePiedPiper

« Reply #1254 on: November 20, 2017, 01:27:28 AM »
I found Gal Gadot very charming in WW. I think she came off as irreconcilably childish at times, and a straight doofus in others, but I found her innocence in other instances refreshing. In JL she was passable (I saw her as much more mature and intelligent, and rightly so given the time jump). Sadly the movie suffered a lot from mediocrity, so there wasn't much in the way of scenarios that accommodated more varying [or interesting] expression. I had a decent lens in which to compare Gal Gadot in the films because I attended a double feature of both WW and JL.

Batman seemed ...lazy? tired? I dunno, there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm on his part, as opposed to him in BvS. To me he was just going through the motions of what the script demanded, and he never convinced me to care about anything. For myself, I was mostly running off sheer anticipation of seeing all the heroes fighting on-screen and how the dynamics between different members would play out. If I were to see it a second time I'd have nothing much to look forward besides a certain fight in the middle of the movie. The movie simply can't stand up to scrutiny.

The Flash was okay. He definitely got better as the movie progressed. Cyborg was alright, and I didn't mind Aquaman. The characters themselves made sure the movie wasn't terrible, but again they really didn't have much to work with. And the aforementioned fight in the middle was good. I actually caught a thrill during the sequence because of the Flash and Wonder Woman's part in it. The scene after the credits seems to promise something interesting, but at this point I'm only in it for the fight scenes and the actors themselves. I see the movies getting better never.
Currently playing-
Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Offline Johnstantine

« Reply #1255 on: November 20, 2017, 02:05:34 AM »
Batman seemed ...lazy? tired? I dunno, there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm on his part, as opposed to him in BvS. To me he was just going through the motions of what the script demanded, and he never convinced me to care about anything. For myself, I was mostly running off sheer anticipation of seeing all the heroes fighting on-screen and how the dynamics between different members would play out. If I were to see it a second time I'd have nothing much to look forward besides a certain fight in the middle of the movie. The movie simply can't stand up to scrutiny.

Yeah, I agree on that. Afleck had a lot of hopes for the character, but I think taking on a multiple movie role might not be something he's into anymore. He did an interview recently where he said he wasn't sure how long he would play the character, despite having originally said he was in it for the long haul. If anything, I think Whedon's added dialogue pussified him.