Author Topic: Movies you've recently watched  (Read 206933 times)

Offline NightCrawler

• Of the Vortex
  • Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Re: Movies you've recently watched
« Reply #1325 on: August 12, 2018, 12:17:27 AM »
The Endless was a pretty interesting Lovecraftian indie. Not enough tension/mood, and the actors kinda sucked, but these directors deliver in plot what other movies of the same genre stumble upon.
Berserk isn't really "dark fantasy" either. It's plain fantasy
Miura has been very protective of Berserk

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #1326 on: August 24, 2018, 08:18:30 PM »
The Endless was a pretty interesting Lovecraftian indie. Not enough tension/mood, and the actors kinda sucked, but these directors deliver in plot what other movies of the same genre stumble upon.

Have you watched the director's prior movies - Resolution or Spring? The Endless ties into those movies a little bit.
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Offline Gamehowitzer

« Reply #1327 on: August 26, 2018, 05:20:05 AM »
So i finally saw infinity war, honestly 7/10 movie. Could have been better, but the character arc of thanos was honestly quite intersting. And once you finally reached to the end of the movie, where he reaches his long desired wish, it really echoed in my head. An indiscriminate and fair culling, killing those both strong and weak without bias. And it really doesn't cherry pick as a large number of our heroes actually died to it, really telling you that they truly are no exception.

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #1328 on: October 02, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »

Mandy was awesome and I say this as someone who absolutely LOVED Beyond The Black Rainbow. This's a much focused movie compared to Rainbow and yet, it's slow burn (compared to typical films). Panos is a genius and without spoiling much, the story here is basic - revenge. Set in the 80's, Red and Mandy live in the woods and trouble finds it's way when the head of a religious cult spots Mandy. She's special, he says and kidnaps her with the help of a demon biker gang. The cult leader tries to seduce her in an LSD induced dream sequence with his music. When it doesn't work, his cult kills her. Red, played by Cage goes after them. The film takes that basic concept of revenge and does so much more with it and it's not just the visuals, it's the sounds to go with it. Like Rainbow, Panos colors the screen with distinct color palettes to depict moods and Johannsson's soundtrack hits a perfect 10. I've sat on it for a week now and I find myself replaying some scenes and remembering. Mandy is definitely a cinematic experience. That being said, Nicolas Cage plays a version of himself you see in other films which is perfect (over the top) but it sucked that in moments of rage or sadness, people in the theater laughed/ chucked at his acting because it's him and they can't see him beyond his memes. I wish I had the whole place to myself! But whatever. Watching it again, soon. So far, one of my favorite films of the year.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:44:01 PM by IncantatioN »
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but stardust.

Online Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #1329 on: October 03, 2018, 04:25:02 PM »
Showed my wife John Carpenter's The Fog (and hoping to review most of his deep cuts with her), which actually scared her pretty good, specifically the first kills, but unfortunately it kind of never tops that sequence and doesn't really live up to the ultimate potential of the concept because they put a cap on the kills and therefore the tension (even though the conspirator thing is a cool idea!). It just could have had more payoff considering how much went into the setup, but too many people survive, you already know they will 2/3rds of the way through, and presumably everyone else in town is a-ok too (it's like that lack of suspense when a movie is down to its final hero, but with a whole ensemble cast =). Anyway, still a pretty cool chiller for an old indie on a small budget, and it certainly doesn't look like it because it's visuals are pretty nice and most of the effects still convincing enough. Not the best Carpenter, but not a bad one either.

We got a quarter of the way through Escape From New York, which she also hadn't seen or couldn't remember, but baby made it untenable viewing at that point. :puck:

Offline IncantatioN

• Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
« Reply #1330 on: October 03, 2018, 08:04:01 PM »
I love The Fog! Carpenter's synonymous with The Thing and Escape From New York and it stops there, considering a general viewing (casual) audience. So whenever it comes up, I get excited. The colors, imagery is just awesome. It's cool you're going on a Carpenterian journey with her. What's next after Escape From New York? Just essentials or all 18-20ish films? Looking at the list of movies he's directed, I haven't watched The Ward and Body Bags.

By the way, I think Mandy's right up your alley. It's got that 80's (horror/ slasher) movies vibe to it.

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #1331 on: October 03, 2018, 10:12:53 PM »
Prince of Darkness should obviously be on the list.

Online Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #1332 on: October 04, 2018, 04:51:09 AM »
I love The Fog! Carpenter's synonymous with The Thing and Escape From New York and it stops there, considering a general viewing (casual) audience.

Ahem, someone would like a word with you... :daiba:

So whenever it comes up, I get excited. The colors, imagery is just awesome.

Yeah, it's amazing what Carpenter can do with no money (literally, just look at Dark Star) and still make fucking classics. I've been comparing him to Spielberg lately and how if The Thing hadn't have been so disastrously received, Universal bought out his multi-picture deal(!), what could have been. That might sound crazy but their earlier work especially is more similar than one might think. Duel is very Carpenter-esque, and even Jaws or Close Encounters, but Carpenter never had a breakout studio hit to make films on that level. Nowadays after Assault on Prescint 13 he'd get a fucking Star Wars franchise of his own. Probably better the way it turned out considering what he and Debra Hill did on their own, though I wish he'd gotten to do more and better in the late 90's and 2000's. On that note, it's nice to see he's had such an influence on so many auteurs that have managed to break through in ways he was never able, and hopefully this new Halloween film and his accompanying score will be a renaissance of sorts for his career.

It's cool you're going on a Carpenterian journey with her. What's next after Escape From New York? Just essentials or all 18-20ish films? Looking at the list of movies he's directed, I haven't watched The Ward and Body Bags.

We finished New York tonight, and that aside this is more his less famous works since I've shown her all the biggies already (Halloween I & II, Elvis, Christine and They Live are probably her "favorites" =). So, next on our viewing list are Assault on Precinct 13, Starman (which I've never seen) and Big Trouble in Little China and then I'll see where we go from there. I don't know if I want to touch Memoirs of an Invisible Man and Someone's Watching Me! and Dark Star might be too much to ask. We'll definitely do Escape from L.A. at some point, a better movie than it's cripplingly bad CGI effects portray. Did you know Ghosts of Mars was originally Escape from Mars? Too bad... or maybe not.

Prince of Darkness should obviously be on the list.

Of course, and his last real great, In the Mouth of Madness, to complete The Apocalypse Trilogy! :zodd:

I don't know though, that might be apocalypse for my marriage. :ganishka:

Offline Death May Die

• Ask me about Avatar's sales!
  • Of the Nexus
  • "That day you left, that's when I knew."
« Reply #1333 on: October 16, 2018, 08:43:28 AM »
I too just watched Mandy and totally loved it! Feast for the eyes!

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
  • even the horses are cut in half!
« Reply #1334 on: October 16, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »
Yeah Mandy was a fucked up trip for the mind. Saw it a bit before it was officially released.

i also watched Anti-Birth a few days ago and Hold the dark. The latter i did not like that much. it's very well done and directed but the story...

I don't know if I want to touch Memoirs of an Invisible Man

You should! It's one of his best (in the less horror ones he did) in my opinion (and one of my favorite, just behind In the mouth of Madness)

You should also check (if not already) his 2 masters of horror movies. Wich I really liked. Aaaand crap I've double posted.

Ps: thank you whoever has merged my posts! Sorry about that!  :slan:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:46:35 AM by jackson_hurley »

Online Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #1335 on: October 26, 2018, 04:33:58 AM »
You should! It's one of his best (in the less horror ones he did) in my opinion (and one of my favorite, just behind In the mouth of Madness)

Good to hear, I remember being inexplicably into it as a kid for some reason, so wasn't sure if it would hold up as Chevy Chase goes from a boon to a possible liability with age. =)

You should also check (if not already) his 2 masters of horror movies. Wich I really liked.

I have them somewhere along with his feature length TV movies. They definitely had interesting premises. I'd even be up for The Ward although it's supposed to be a sour note to end on. John should finally make his big Western before riding off into the sunset; get Blumhouse to let him make a genre-bending horror western ala the original Westworld and it's Myers-inspiring unstoppable man in black.

Aaaand crap I've double posted.

Ps: thank you whoever has merged my posts! Sorry about that!  :slan:

Screw merging, I've come around on that; it's not your fault everyone else is too slow or lazy to reply something in the time you make two separate posts. :griffnotevil:

But I digress, we're talking about John Carpenter...

Halloween (2018)

Well done and good fun, but not as grand a return as promised. Some of the character choices were a little extreme, like Laurie was basically wrong for the past 40 years, to the point I don't even feel like Michael actually escaping validated her wasting her life in the meantime; it was actually a little too sad. Also, retconning all the additional movies made it weird that Laurie prepared so for a guy that's been incarcerated in a medium security asylum for 40 years as if she somehow knew he was the unstoppable Myers shown again and again in the sequels (H20 made more sense in this regard with Halloween II intact). Her daughter was annoyingly adamant as well, and the granddaughter and her friends were ok (but the babysat boy was best =). Also, this movie had The Wiz/Artie, the strongest man in the world featured prominently and I didn't even recognize him!

All that aside, they got Myers mostly right, I only had a few relatively minor quibbles; a bit too big, too plodding at times, and the lack of daytime stalking sure made it coincidental that every other person he killed was a friend of Laurie's granddaughter. I loved that they brought back his perverse or "playful" side a bit with the displays or tricks but I also feel the sexual element was lacking. Myers in 1 and 2 was kind of a creep, he stalked pretty young girls and grunted joyously while he sliced or strangled them. There was clearly a voyerism and sexual deviancy implied, starting with his obsession with his sister for some added incestuousness. This Myers was basically an asexual killing machine with no motivation, which gets it half right anyway (maybe it's the difference between 21 and 61 =). Oh yeah, speaking of which, while I appreciate them bringing back Nick Castle for a scene and the breathing, I would have preferred they kept the casting of Myers all original throughout: Castle as the Shape, Tony Moran unmasked. I know that would have made him shorter and stalkier and they'd need a stunt man for Castle anyway, but Myers was just an average looking guy in the first one, an everyman distinguished by the pure darkness inside, just the shape or vessel of evil, so I wouldn't mind him looking like an average 60 year old either. I think that could have even been creepier/scarier.

Anyway, it was as down to earth and well made as can be for movie eleven in a truly messy franchise, and an interesting take in its own right, but not the definitive bookend to the original it's purported to be. Halloween II, familial reveals aside, is still the best of the Halloween sequels due to its overall proximity to and continuity with the original; it was made a couple years later, takes place the same night creating one huge movie, and most importantly Carpenter was back writing and directing reshoots, and Debra Hill was still writing/producing, even if they regarded it as an unwanted stepchild. So, Halloween 2018 with it's polar opposite, decades later, fresh eyes approach will have to settle for being the second best Halloween 2 for now. Though I'd be interested in watching it again to see if I like it even more with subsequent viewings (I usually hate things the first time, so some light complaining is like praising it with faint bitching =); it's visually very pleasing with a great long tracking shot following Myers, Curtis is good, Carpenter's score is great, and it checks almost all the right boxes to be a worthy tribute to the classic Halloweens. One thing I might have done was use more names or characters from previous Halloweens but reinvented, like make Laurie's daughter still be named Jaime Lloyd, etc. Like a Marvel Ultimate Universe version of Halloween. :rakshas:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 02:41:36 PM by Griffith »