Movies you've recently watched

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
People seem to either love or hate this one.

I've heard the same. I'll probably wait to rent it once it's out on video.

Griffith said:
I saw Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and not only did it suck, but it was surprisingly boring.

I didn't think I'd like it, based on word of mouth, but I really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim. Loved the Vegan Police. :guts:

I saw "Moneyball" over the weekend. I highly recommend it if you're a fan of baseball, or sports in general. A guy my brother played baseball with in college plays a catcher in one of the scenes, too, so it was cool seeing him get his 5 seconds of fame.

the-guard-poster_07,11.jpg

The Guard - Hard to understand some of the dialogue at the beginning because of a thick accent, but I got used to it and all in all the movie was better than I expected. Gleeson and Cheadle are hilarious and their humorous chemistry on-screen is one of the key points.

Trailer - http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=8350.msg198779#msg198779

Oburi

All praise Grail
Saw Drive. Thought it was good. While I didn't go crazy over it like some people, there's definitely nothing else like it in theaters. Some of the violent scenes seemed unnecessary, but the direction was terrific. Great soundtrack, great use of slowmo, and some great performances. Actually, Drive seems like a movie of the 80's if it wasn't for the cast ... but in a cool way.

Edit-
forksqz.jpg

Great documentary. Made me want to change my diet. I'm going to try at the very least.

A friend from Wisconsin and I are doing an October Horror movie month where we watch 1 movie each day with a condition that 16 movies are to be first watches for either of us.

Caturday

abbott-and-costello-meet-frankenstein-movie-poster-1948-1010141455.jpg

Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein - never knew of A & C till I watched this and I loved it. I looked them up and they have a few other movies, definitely going to check them out. My dad knew of them, so it's an added incentive to watch em all and discuss em with dad. Every element from the humor, sound effects, special effects, script and acting is good.

Sunday

seance.jpg

Seance/ Korei - re-watch. Love the director, actors, story, atmosphere - perfecto!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I saw "The Help" over the weekend with my family. I was a little apprehensive going in because I had not heard much about it, and from the brief commercials I saw, it looked more like a comedy. I was very surprised at how depressing and...well...real it was. It was tough to watch at times, but well worth it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Drive was pretty good. I'd recommend it for those needing a modern noir fix. It's a very simple movie with a classic setup. There aren't enough movies like this. However, I felt like the music was ... a bit much. Though I can also see how some people might LOVE the soundtrack.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
IncantatioN said:

huh.. Are any of you familiar with James the angry video game nerd? He plays a lot of old crappy video games and reviews them with a Persona for people's entertainment. Well he does a lot of movie "reviews" as well and every October he does this thing called "Monster Madness" where he reviews 1 horror or monster movie per day. His videos are very entertaining (and educational if you know nothing of movies older than 20 years old). I mention him because he did a review on the Abbott & Costello movie that Incantation posted. James A.k.a "The Nerd" posted the review recently on the 8th (I just watched it today though)

Here's the link to that specific movie review:
http://cinemassacre.com/2011/10/08/08-abbott-and-costello-meet-frankenstein/

and here's his "Monster Madness" movie review list:
http://cinemassacre.com/category/moviereviews/monstermadness/
(the List starts from his newest videos to the oldest. If you want to watch this years Monster Madness reviews though, I would suggest you see them in order so you can see his growing frustration with Universal's choppy work on their monster movies :ganishka:)

This guy really knows his stuff, and he reviews movies that go as far back as "Nosferatu"

this year he is Focusing on the Big 3: the Frankenstein monster, Count Dracula, and the Wolf Man (and their Sequels). great stuff! :guts:

He's also done many 80's 90's & 70's horror movies if your interested in finding a certain one. I would definitely recommend you guys to check him out, especially in October!

This is the one that got me hooked on his videos:
http://cinemassacre.com/2009/10/26/26-childs-play-1988/

Chucky! the nightmare to my childhood! :magni: (mainly because my older sister dragged me into the living room by my ankles and forced me to watch Chucky..LITERALLY)

Oburi

All praise Grail
Watched the two part documentary on George Harrison, Living in a Material World, by Martin Scorcese. I loved it, thought it was just great.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Truder said:
this year he is Focusing on the Big 3: the Frankenstein monster, Count Dracula, and the Wolf Man (and their Sequels). great stuff! :guts:

Is that true? Only those three?
I read this year's focus was on sequels, but that's disappointing IMO.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Truder said:
NightCrawler said:
Is that true? Only those three?
I read this year's focus was on sequels, but that's disappointing IMO.

I doubt it, he's done all the classic Universal Frankenstein movies, which already had a lot of crossover with Dracula and the Wolf Man. Now he's jumped to the 70's and the Hammer Dracula series, and he hasn't revealed what he'll do next as far as I know. The Wolf Man is a good guess thematically, but unless there's a series of over a dozen wolf man movies, that won't be all he'll do. If he does a few shorter series he could easily do three or four more. Also, in the past he's gone chronologically, so it's also likely he'll do something from the 80's or more contemporary next. Anyway, this year's entries have been much more in-depth, I don't know where he finds the time, but I recommend everyone check them out even if you're not into these movies.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:
I doubt it, he's done all the classic Universal Frankenstein movies, which already had a lot of crossover with Dracula and the Wolf Man. Now he's jumped to the 70's and the Hammer Dracula series, and he hasn't revealed what he'll do next as far as I know. The Wolf Man is a good guess thematically, but unless there's a series of over a dozen wolf man movies, that won't be all he'll do. If he does a few shorter series he could easily do three or four more. Also, in the past he's gone chronologically, so it's also likely he'll do something from the 80's or more contemporary next. Anyway, this year's entries have been much more in-depth, I don't know where he finds the time, but I recommend everyone check them out even if you're not into these movies.

Yeah i was expecting something chronological until i read Truder's post.
I'm hoping he does Nightmare on Elm Street. It's one of the few horror series that has something imaginative in every sequel.

I just watched the Source Code, a good movie, in my opinion, plot is kinda predictable, but still it is definitely worth watching just once at least.

sourcecode_4.jpg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I enjoyed Source Code, as well. Nothing to write home about, but much better than 90% of the shit that's in theaters these days. I like that poster, too.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
I'm hoping he does Nightmare on Elm Street. It's one of the few horror series that has something imaginative in every sequel.

You win:

http://cinemassacre.com/2011/10/16/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-3/

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
NightCrawler said:
Wow, lucky you! :carcus:

Griffith

Here's something imaginative; the only thing that gives Freddy, among others, nightmares: Dokken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtR6IrvxeFs

Whoa! Watch out for George Lynch awkwardly coming through the wall pre-solo! :ganishka:

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Shame the quality of the reviews took a nosedive after the dracula series. I'm disappointed.

Actually, it took a nosedive after the Frankenstein reviews, but nobody cares about crappy Dracula sequels. Though yeah, it's continued to decline, and it's a shame, those Frankstein reviews were like little documentaries, and these Freddy reviews just scratch the surface. I guess it was too hard to keep up the pace at that standard of quality.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I just saw Real Steel. Would be a great movie to take a date who likes Hugh Jackman to, or a little brother. It's pretty much a straight up happy kid-n-dad redemption/buddy movie. It doesn't do anything innovative at all but it's solid, paced well and shot very competently. A fun piece of fluff.

Watched Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 and Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 on BR, fun. Also watched Captain America and was disappointed. Its promos looked kinda better than the movie itself.

turkitage

ターク
Lithrael said:
I just saw Real Steel. Would be a great movie to take a date who likes Hugh Jackman to, or a little brother. It's pretty much a straight up happy kid-n-dad redemption/buddy movie. It doesn't do anything innovative at all but it's solid, paced well and shot very competently. A fun piece of fluff.

Yeah, that's exactly what I expected from a rockem sockem robots movie.

IncantatioN said:
Watched Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0 and Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 on BR, fun.

I liked 1.11 a lot. But 2.22 I liked, but there was too much going on. It felt too fast pace as far as switching from scene to scene, which is what I loved about the anime series - it had a nice pace. still good overall and super pretty!

Turkitage said:
I liked 1.11 a lot. But 2.22 I liked, but there was too much going on. It felt too fast pace as far as switching from scene to scene, which is what I loved about the anime series - it had a nice pace. still good overall and super pretty!
I like the city's transformation scenes a lot. Every scene with Mari in 2.22 were the highlight for me from both movies. I've watched both movies in Japanese and English, hate the latter. Don't remember much of the anime series cos it's been years since I watched it, a re-watch is in store. There's a lot of symbolic referencing I notice now like the Kabbalah Tree of life in 2.22 and the entire Freudian influence/ under-tones.

Top Bottom