Movies you've recently watched

Look at all this mention of Lovecraftian films! In The Mouth of Madness WAS awesome! I enjoyed it thoroughly. I haven't seen Re-Animator yet, but I hear that's good as well. What I "did" see though, and no later than last night up very late with Netflix's Instant Queue, was "Dagon."

I pass onto ye community members the very advice I was unable to find on the internet of the scarier horror movies on Netflix Instant Queue. If you liked In The Mouth of Madness, then this other Lovecraft tale is sure to take you on an uncomfortable ride. I actually had to turn my head away during a face-peeling-off scene. And one reason I think you all will enjoy this movie is because it constantly kept reminding me of this latest chapter of Berserk. The townspeople are all gilled, web-fingered fish people who serve an evil sea deity. And like Isma's situation, there's only one person who isn't a fish-monster on the island.

It is a very creepy film. The moment you see the gills on the people, or their freaky Nosferatu-like hands, you'll be creeped out. I was.

Warms my heart to see all this love for The Thing.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
If it's the same production of Dagon I'm thinking of, your mileage may vary. I didn't enjoy it much myself, it just didn't seem well crafted. Like, maybe 'sci-fi-original' level of quality. Though I seem to recall an amusing hotel chase scene where the protagonist is so freaked out they waste a bunch of time trying to get the chain locks done up on the doors.

Yep, that's the one! I may have upped my sensitivity levels, this is true, by having all the lights turned out. No, I couldn't say it has stellar replay value. But in lieu of an lost wandering instant queue person, I will stand by its creepiness. But then again creepy fish-men late at night are good at finding ways of penetrating my safety blanket.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Heheh! No, sounds like a good instant-queue choice. I'm pretty sure that when I saw it, I had just spoiled myself completely on really awesome zombie movies all that week.

What have I seen recently? Hmm.. Puss in Boots. Cause I am such a girl. I liked it. Zach Galawhatsisname did a really good job voice acting actually. He decided not to play it as I Am In This Cause I'm A Recognizable Character Actor like everybody else. I'm sure the studio was cranky with him.

I saw a few minutes of the Thing prequel and yeah, bleah big pieces of CGI are chasing me. :sad:

Griffith said:
Another fun fact about In the Mouth of Madness, the theme song blatantly rips off Enter Sandman and is otherwise like a pastiche of 90's Megadeth. Seriously, listen to this shit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wAw7gBQxU
We're off to Haaaaah-Ooooobb’s End
Don't get me wrong though, I love it. :ganishka:
Hah! Fun stuff indeed. I used to love watching In The Mouth Of Madness, the end is pretty epic. Sam's the reason why I love Event Horizon too, I mean that movie had a lot of potential but for what it is, it's pretty cool and it looks SO crisp on Blu Ray, crisp to the point where the CGI pops out and makes the movie look bad haha.

three-extremes.jpg

Rewatched Three...Extremes the other night and relived the fun. I prefer the longer cut for Dumplings to be honest but I can't complain!

Oburi

All praise Grail
I saw Immortals in 3d the other night. Wasn't bad. I wasn't as into it as I thought i'd be but the ending was really cool. Featured a lot of bloody, gory slo-mo between the Gods and Titans and some of it was just brutal. At one point one of the Gods slices the head off a titan and kicks it at another knocking him down. So yea the end made the movie.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I saw the Immortals too. It was better than I thought it would be.(I thought it was gonna be terrible because i disliked the trailers)
I wished the titans and the gods battled it out as giants like in God Of War though. :sad:

Rhombaad said:
I watched Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance and really enjoyed it. So far I'm liking the Rebuild of Evangelion a lot more than the original series (which is a favorite of mine). If you took everything that was enjoyable about the original series (the mecha, well choreographed battles and the very weird Angel designs)

You mean like big-fuck-a-hedron?

45840-ramiel_110_super.jpg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Yep! That was one of my favorite designs. Way better than the giant Tokyo-destroying monsters that made appearances in the first few episodes. I really love what he did with Ramiel in You Are (Not) Alone.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Went to moviestop for some xmas shopping an ended up grabbin more for meself. Has anyone seen Christopher Nolan's first movie called The Following? I just happened to see it on the shelf and since its the only film of his I don't have I grabbed it. Hopefully it was worth it.

Edit- Finally watched Following and I must say for such a low budget film it was incredibly good. Similar to Memento in that the scenes are not in chronological order, there's three stories going on that eventually come together towards the end and leaves you thinking after the film ends. The dvd has some cool features that allow you to watch the film in proper order. That I liked very much. Definitely a must watch for Nolan fans since there are some things that connect in very general way to his future films. Not just Memento either, but Batman (theres a Batman logo on the door to the main characters apartmeant) and Inception (the characters share the same name).

I also watched a few older movies that i hadn't seen before but should have. One was Amadeus about the famous composer. I watched the directors cut and thought it really was truly a great film. Definitely had me invested enough to actually be yelling at the tv :ganishka: "WHY WON"T HE JUST ADMIT THAT HE LOVES MOZART"!!

I also watched Lolita, Stanley Kubrick's film based on the book that I have not read. I wasn't planning on watching the whole film but I couldn't stop once it got started. I thought it was both hilarious and very disturbing even for it's time. Great film.

41BMT67ES8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I remember seeing a trailer for it years ago and never got around watching it. My curiosity did bore me this time around, I fell asleep while watching it on Tuesday and finished the movie last night. Wooden acting chops and a choppy editing makes this such a sub-par movie. It had the potential to be much cooler.

hero10.jpg

Re-watched Hero over the weekend because I needed a dose of that soundtrack and Maggie C! This's one of my favorite movies in the genre and I wish I had the chance to watch this in the theater, maybe someday.

41AF2mQv5gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Re-watched this one too over the weekend. What do you guys think of the plot? Is he in purgatory the entire time? I was trying to figure out if there was a connection between him and the girl he was living with. Plus the doctor seems to help him out or explain stuff to him but is the doctor a part of his own subconscious (because of the ladder drug/ experiment) or an angel like figure? I was kinda wondering whether he was somehow atoning for his son's death and that's what gets him to the light at the end. But, there're a few questions here and there I can't think of right now. I get that he most probably died in Vietnam and the whole movie was between the moment he died and him going to heaven. I THINK!

I've been sleeping in the middle of movies off late. Last night I fell asleep while watching The Empire Strikes Back, I hope I don't zone out during MI: Ghost Protocol >_>'

EDIT

Mission-Impossible-Ghost-Protocol.jpg

Watched this last night and it was a lot of fun to say the least. Felt like the action was non-stop, humor here and there. And, it's not about Ethan working alone or the mission depending just on him anymore, the series has grown in that regard. I'd rate this high even though I saw it on an IMAX screen from the 2nd row *massages neck*

EDIT

Another-earth-poster-008.jpg

Watched Another Earth this weekend and I was a bit hesitant at first thinking it'll be another Melancholia but it wasn't. I liked the lead actresses subtle performance but the movie lacked in the end. I'd give it a 6/10.

starcrash1affiche121.jpg

Star Crash put me to sleep, I was only interested in it for a good laugh and it was hilarious in the beginning at least. The movie's just god awful and see Hasselhoff surprised me even more. I'm actually mad cos I fell asleep at 8something last night cos of this movie, wasting my Sunday night *sigh*. For what it's worth, the scenes where the ship is battling the enemy fleet kinda felt like a live action version of Galaga.

EDIT

images

Revisited Eyes Wide Shut last night and my liking for it hasn't changed. Certain things I could catch on to this time and Kubrick's movies just grow on me.

EDIT

le-samourai-01.jpg

Checked out Le Samourai last night to take a break from cleaning up the apartment. I liked it a lot ... the actor plays his part so well and the ending's good. I'm curious about the title though. He doesn't have a Samurai 'act' / code but there are a few things here and there that suggest it. Need to watch this again!

EDIT

primerposter.jpg

Primer ... a good refreshing movie, pretty mind numbing. I'm going to watch it again next weekend to make better sense of it. Recommended.

Warrior%2BFilm%2B%25286%2529.jpg

Warrior ... ace movie, the main cast was SO good. Everything from the dialog, pace, overall look was impressive. I gotta admit I broke down in the end for a bit. Goddamnit.

EDIT

035fellowship.jpg

Watched LOTR:FOTR - extended version last night. I could make out most of the cut out scenes from the original, except the battle ones perhaps (if there were any). I don't think the Blu Rays that were released this year or last year feature the extended versions (?). The last time I watched it was right before Return Of The King, so it's been a while and I enjoyed it ... have memories attached to the franchise. I'll check out LOTR:TTT - extended version tonight.

EDIT

So I got around watching the other 2 LOTR movies and they were decent. I used to like TTT but I'm going to switch to FOTR as the best.

revanche.jpg

Revanche was really good. There's no over the top drama or action and because of that it feels very real. Good acting.

Larry_Gopnik.jpg

I had nothing to watch and I hopped on to A Serious Man, a favorite of mine. Good dark humor and everyone is brilliant in it.

mesrine-part1.jpg

Last night I watched Mesrine Part 1. You can tell Cassel is having a blast with the role and he fits it perfectly. I watched this blindly and it turned out real good. Going to watch Part 2 tonight.

EDIT

normal.jpg

Watched Mesrine Part 2 last night and while it was pretty decent, it pales in comparison to the Part 1.

EDIT

Kill-List-Poster-610x462.jpg

Kill List was very interesting and takes a turn in the 3rd part of the film. The soundtrack's really good, some tunes reminded me of Kubrick's 2001. I'm going to re-watch the movie next week because there's a fair amount of 'meaning' behind incidents that happen in the beginning. Definitely recommended.

Tape_movie_poster_THIS.263w_350h.jpg

Tape was engaging considering it's got only 3 characters and the events don't leave a single room throughout the movie. The dialogue/ script is win.

EDIT

The-Skin-That-I-Live-In-007.jpg

The Skin I Live In ... Was a bit impressed by this overall, and almost gripping till the end which gets a biiit predictable. I don't remember seeing anything memorable by Banderas recently and this's his return to form for sure. Next up is either Cold Souls or Cell 211 or the Golden Globes heh.

EDIT

kate-beckinsale-as-selene-in-underworld-awakening.jpg

Out with a friend who wanted to see Underworld: Awakening and I wouldn't recommend it, at all. It's an open ending, setting itself up for a sequel and from the money it's been making it looks like it'll get made. We watched it in 3D which was lackluster.

EDIT

hardcandy.jpg

Hard Candy was surprisingly good and there're some moments on there that could make you cringe for a bit. It may or may not surprise you but it's packed with good performances and a decent ending.

EDIT

horseman_poster_thumb.jpg

I remember loving Animal Kingdom from Australia and this's another one. The Horseman is a dark thriller about a father who goes on a rampage to find out more about his daughter's death. The acting's intense and the violence is pretty hard core. On his journey he meets a young girl who gets involved in his journey in some way.

EDIT

thbronson.jpg

Bronson was charming (in a certain way) and just ballsy good. Hardy owns all the praise he got for his performance and I enjoyed the soundtrack a lot.

EDIT

treeoflife.jpg

Re-watched Tree Of Life on the big screen, typical Malick and you can see a LOT of homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey from the visuals to the use of music.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I watched Drive last night and really enjoyed it. I had heard a lot of negative things about it, but after seeing it, I'm not sure where that criticism was coming from.

Ryan Gosling's performance was pretty solid, despite him having so few lines, but the stand-out for me was Albert Brooks.
His performance when he opens Bryan Cranston's veins was so incredibly disturbing.

I highly recommend checking it out. Just know, going into it, that it's not an action film, despite what the title suggests.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I watched Drive last night and really enjoyed it. I had heard a lot of negative things about it, but after seeing it, I'm not sure where that criticism was coming from.

Ryan Gosling's performance was pretty solid, despite him having so few lines, but the stand-out for me was Albert Brooks.
His performance when he opens Bryan Cranston's veins was so incredibly disturbing.

I highly recommend checking it out. Just know, going into it, that it's not an action film, despite what the title suggests.
I also liked Drive, and didn't quite understand the negative things said about it. I had pretty much no expectations, because I hadn't even seen a trailer for it. But I imagine some of the negativity was due in large part to the marketing for the movie, which presented it like some kind of heist movie or like Fast and the Furious. It's not. It's more like a drama about a guy who happens to be good at driving.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
I liked Drive when I watched it, don't think it's the best movie of the year but it's good.

I dunno...it's one of the few movies from 2011 that I think I'll actually remember a few years from now. I agree it wasn't the best film of the year, but it's definitely up there.

Speaking of good films in 2011, I really liked 50/50. It was funny, heartwarming, and felt very real (it probably helps that it was written by the guy who Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays).

50/50 was awesome. Heartbreaking, uplifting and humorous - everything in 1 movie. I like JGL and Bryce Dallas Howard in general, so it was a bonus. Glad you posted on here! I felt alone updating my post from December so I wouldn't double post =_='

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Watched Labyrinth last night and The Dark Crystal recently, and... yeah, Jim Henson should have stuck to Kermit. The Dark Crystal was interesting at least, but Labyrinth was just embarrassing for all involved (so bad it was good at times, but not what I signed up for). I probably needed to see these as a kid. I know there are people out there that love these movies; so, am I spitting on anyone's precious memories here?

Also, watched Being John Malkovich this weekend, which I had so thoroughly forgot I can't be sure I actually saw it before. Anyway, it was like the first time and satisfyingly absurd, weird, and brilliant.

Griffith said:
Also, watched Being John Malkovich this weekend, which I had so thoroughly forgot I can't be sure I actually saw it before. Anyway, it was like the first time and satisfyingly absurd, weird, and brilliant.

I get that feeling too when I watch that movie. Probably because its so odd, but so good at the same time.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Warrior%2BFilm%2B%25286%2529.jpg

Warrior ... ace movie, the main cast was SO good. Everything from the dialog, pace, overall look was impressive. I gotta admit I broke down in the end for a bit. Goddamnit.

I felt the same way. Got all teary-eyed at the end (I think a few got out). I loved this movie.

treeoflife.jpg

Re-watched Tree Of Life on the big screen, typical Malick and you can see a LOT of homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey from the visuals to the use of music.

I enjoyed this, but only for the visuals (same with every other Malick movie).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
I know there are people out there that love these movies; so, am I spitting on anyone's precious memories here?

I loved The Dark Crystal when I was a kid, but after watching it recently, I felt the same way you did. It just doesn't hold up.

As for Labyrinth, I've never liked it. For me, it's so bad it's bad. :void:

Griffith said:

I've never seen Being John Malkovich, but based on what I've heard, it sounds like I'll enjoy it.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I saw the movie "This Means War" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsAqVvlR5DQ ) for a double date tonight: for free ( :troll: ). I saw the movie at a Baltimore Landmark theater that serves alcohol, before I went into the movie I learned it had Reese Witherspoon as the lead actress, so I ordered a triple shot of whiskey and coke hoping to make the movie a little bit more tolerable. To my surprise both Captain Kirk and Bane were in this movie, this didn't really help it all that much for me, but there are way more offensive male actors to ruin movies for me so I was at least happy with the attempt to have likable actors in this movie. I felt that the movie was more of about the bromance turned rivalry with a subplot about Reese Witherspoon having to choose 'the guy to improve her' (which was bullshit), but I never really understood Reese's plot-line consider her character was not all that interesting to start with. Also the villain was from Germany, or France, or whatever country that didn't go into Iraq with the US.

There were 4 action sequences featuring plenty of shaky-cam gun fighting (shaky-cam gunfight on a roof against the movie's lame villian, a shaky-cam gunfight at a strip club, a not so shaky-cam paintball match, and whatever that was at the end of the movie). There also was plenty of product placement within this movie: Tide (Reese's back is turned towards an end cap that had a wall of Tide jugs), Apple products (two of the three main characters use IPhones; in Reese's office building every computer is an IMac with the logo facing the camera), and Dell (All the agents in the CIA headquarters have Dell). I wanted to include Dunkin Donuts, but you don't see it for too long, yet you see it clearly being carried into the CIA headquarters and it isn't shown in any other scene with people eating doughnuts (Never mind. It does count).

It was somewhat entertaining, but I wouldn't pay money to see it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I watched Schindler's List for the first time last night. I'd seen bits and pieces of it here and there, but never the entire film from start to finish.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I watched "the secret world of Arriety" yesterday. It was a light family movie, not much action as in "Ponyo" or "Spirited away", but the ghibli feeling was still there.

Top Bottom