Movies you've recently watched

I watched a pretty decent little documentary on netflix last night:

MV5BMTMxODc4MDA1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTI3MTUyNg@@._V1._SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

Its about these tiles that appeared all over north eastern US, and in a few cities in South America in the 1980s-present. They all read:
Toynbee Idea
In Movie '2001
resurrect Dead
On Planet Jupiter
And most have little side notes. A slightly OCD guy in Phili started noticing them in his youth, and became obsessed with figuring out who was making them. I really enjoyed it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Saw Hangover II and was pretty disappointed by it. I was in he spirit of the film too, drinking heavily and nightmarishly hungover the next day (nightmarish because I was attending my college graduation and didn't want to throw up all over myself during it =). Still, I think that was a funnier scene than anything in the movie, it was just kind of uninspired and meh all over.

o-david-lynch-reveals-blue-velvet-blu-ray-to-include-restored-lost-scenes.jpg

Blue Velvet 2 nights ago ... impressive. Ordered the Blu Ray for it's Extra's. I've only seen Lynch's Twin Peaks, Inland Empire, Mulholland Dr., Dune and Eraserhead. Next up - The Elephant Man as soon as it comes in the mail.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
Saw Hangover II and was pretty disappointed by it. I was in he spirit of the film too, drinking heavily and nightmarishly hungover the next day (nightmarish because I was attending my college graduation and didn't want to throw up all over myself during it =). Still, I think that was a funnier scene than anything in the movie, it was just kind of uninspired and meh all over.

Congratulations on graduating, Griff! I was debating watching The Hangover II the other day On Demand, but decided against it. From what you said, it sounds I made the right decision.

H

hellrasinbrasin

For those who enjoy quirky Scifi drama's Jaco Van Dormael Mr. Nobody is the film for you.

Mr._Nobody_%28film_poster%29.jpg

Griffith

Rhombaad said:
Congratulations on graduating, Griff!

Thanks, I think that's my official announcement! Anyway, check out our alcohol/viewing content of the night before: genuine Don Ramon Tequila Reposado and Controy from TJ (plus beer), The Hangover II, Buffy the Vampire Slayer ("Fool for Love"), the first episode of The Wire, and finally The Simpsons movie, which I blacked out and fell asleep during. Next thing I know it's morning, I'm still buzzed, and have to drive my family to my graduation in an hour. That's when I started remorsefully walking to Starbucks.

Seriously, I practically can't even drink three beers anymore without waking up with a headache and I overdo it on THIS night!? This is what I contemplated as I was forced to stand around in a cap and gown for an hour; nauseous, head dizzy, sweating profusely, and using all my will not to vomit.

Graduate!

Rhombaad said:
I was debating watching The Hangover II the other day On Demand, but decided against it. From what you said, it sounds I made the right decision.

I think it just comes down to the fact that they didn't quite know how to top the first one and kind of ended up in no-man's-land. Catch 22, it was too much like the original, but not enough like it either. It had too much reverence for the first, didn't go over the top enough, and when it did, it was kind of too far to be funny anymore. In general, unlike the first one, it didn't capture the spirit or even seem like an extreme exaggeration of a genuine or real experience people have like the proverbial crazy Vegas trip. It was so far removed from anything real or familiar, yet was still underwhelming, it might as well have taken place on the Prometheus planet... actually, that might have fixed both movies! :ganishka:

P.S. BTW, the guy that played the biologist in Prometheus reminded me of Ed Helms to the point of distraction, they just needed Galifianakis playing the crazy geologist.

Hah funny story Griffith and congrats dude!

Rhombaad said:
That's good to hear! I tried going last weekend, but underestimated the lines on Saturday afternoon. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend.

Did you get around watching it Rhombaad? I agree with Walter totally, the movie's frakkin awesome! It got me all emotional at the end and I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud A COUPLE OF TIMES in the theater, it's a 10/10 from me.

Right before though, I caught The Amazing Spider-Man, it was back-to-back-theater-movie night heh. TAP was actually pretty good as I had no or very low expectations from it. I remember watching the first full trailer and thought the CG looked so bad, like a video game eehh. But looking past that, the final product on film is not too bad. There are 1/2 plot holes like
how the Dad reached the top of the skyscraper SO quick towards the end
. The action scenes between Spider-Man and the main villain was refreshingly good. Overall, not too bad as I thought it'd be and I'll give it a 7/10. It's the first movie of a proposed trilogy I read, so here's hoping they keep the same momentum and don't lose track. I thought Stan's cameo (scene) was DARN GOOD in this one!

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
o-david-lynch-reveals-blue-velvet-blu-ray-to-include-restored-lost-scenes.jpg

Blue Velvet 2 nights ago ... impressive. Ordered the Blu Ray for it's Extra's. I've only seen Lynch's Twin Peaks, Inland Empire, Mulholland Dr., Dune and Eraserhead. Next up - The Elephant Man as soon as it comes in the mail.

You're a braver man that I am. I've never been fond of Lynch's work. Ever.

As for movies I've seen recently? Um, Men in Black 3 (which was actually pretty good), Lockout (not amazing, but sort of fun), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (probably my favorite RDJ movie), and Drive (a socially awkward movie, but with pretty awesome violence).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
IncantatioN said:
Did you get around watching it Rhombaad? I agree with Walter totally, the movie's frakkin awesome! It got me all emotional at the end and I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud A COUPLE OF TIMES in the theater, it's a 10/10 from me.

I did, but I forgot to post about it. Thanks for reminding me!

I didn't care for it as much as you and Walter did, but I enjoyed it. Merida's three brothers had me laughing out loud with their antics. I thought it was weaker than their previous efforts, but a weak Pixar movie isn't really weak at all, is it?

(I did tear up a bit at the end, though.)

Last weekend I watched On The Silver Globe which's a pretty controversial film considering what happened to it. Politics aside, the movie is a visual piece of art with A LOT of dialogue, but it also drains you with it's brooding content and direction. It felt like I was watching it for a good 5/6 hours and there was a sense of triumph when I finished it.

Saturday was movie day at home and watched 3 movies. The friend who recommended On The Silver Globe also told me to check out the director's other movie called Possession.

possession3.jpg

Right from the start you're shown a troubled marriage between the 2 main characters and their scenes together are brilliant. The director likes to have his cast up their emotion to the point it may seem like over-acting but it fit the characters here more than On The Silver Globe, for me. Don't watch the trailer for it, just watch the movie straight-up. This could be my favorite Sam Neil movie. 9/10 for me.

war-of-the-arrows.jpg

War Of The Arrows on Netflix was pretty decent. The plot's a bit predictable but you're still egg'd on to finish it because of it's visuals. 7/10.

21-Jump-Street.-007.jpg

I was hesitant to watch it at first and those high ratings on RT kinda pushed me away more but I got around seeing it. It's not as bad as I though it'd be. That guy lost a lot of weight and looks weird haha! Popcorn mindless fun though, 6.5/10.

2001-A-Space-Odyssey-1968-006.jpg

Digital Projection in the theater - I wouldn't miss watching 2001: A Space Odyssey, come what may. IP Man was playing at IFC with a special appearance by Donny himself, but screw that! The last time I saw the movie on the big screen was back in 2010 I think but it was the original print. I was curious to see it in this format + IN THE THEATER none the less. I prefer the old print though. This one though had an Intermission in the middle of the Jupiter mission which surprised me. There wasn't an Intermission on the original print and maybe it was the theater itself that did it. 20/10.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man, but it did have some pretty major flaws. The pacing was all over the place and they cut at least two full plotlines in that thing (
Generic Evil Doctor and the truth about Peter's parents
).

Fun fact, the guy who edited Prometheus also edited Spider-Man. Shocking, I know. And by that I mean not at all, those movies seemed to have the same faults.

I guess what I'm saying here is I'd give Spider-Man a B.

Griffith

It's not that it was bad, it actually had a lot of good things going for it but they were all sort of underutilized and therefore underwhelming. Also, I can't help but think of its place in the overall hierarchy of Spider-Man films and compare, and to me the first one by Raimi is still the better Spider-Man movie despite its cheesy warts. Just a lot more iconic elements adapted from the source material on display there; everything from the origin story, the suit, Jameson, "Gobby," to The Night Gwen Stacy Died but with Mary Jane (not surprising since it had a lot of talented fingerprints all over it, from James Cameron to David Fincher, before Raimi ultimately took over). Anyway, it just felt more in the spirit of classic Spider-Man than this pulled off or justified otherwise (though, this did have real web shooters =), but if Spider-Man 2002 is sort of the Batman 1989 of this franchise, then the ultimate potential here is for this to be the Batman Begins to a better sequel. They have all the pieces in place to do The Night Gwen Stacy Died right this time, and that's always been my dream Spider-Man movie.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
But it was.

:ganishka:

I could have sworn I said "THAT bad," "so bad" or something equally mealy mouthed, but point taken in any case. I'm reserving a little judgement because mine was impaired while viewing. I literally went from drunk to hungover in the course of the movie and I didn't want to unfairly punish it for that. Come to think of it though... maybe it WAS responsible! :azan:

I still think it had a lot of good elements though (Sheen, Emma Stone), but like I said, none of it was utilized properly so it was all less than the sum of its parts. Trying not to be mean and bash it, but... I didn't even like Garfield's Parker/Spidey, so that sort of makes it DOA right there.

Last night I watched God Bless America
220px-God_bless_america_ver2.jpg

It was fairly fun satire, though there were a lot of monologues, which kind of got annoying. Overall though I enjoyed myself. It kind of reminded me of a mix between Falling Down and The Last Supper.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Six String Samurai, again. Buddy Holly kills commies with a katana and unapologetically leaves children with cannibals. Good times.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrWeatherby said:
Six String Samurai, again. Buddy Holly kills commies with a katana and unapologetically leaves children with cannibals. Good times.
I thought the movie was fun, but the way everyone talks in that movie bothered me.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
To each their own, though I found the acting endearing. It's part of what makes it so cheesy and over-the-top. Six String Samurai is the sort of film that's fully aware of what it wants to be, and doesn't take itself seriously as a result.

Full movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcrNBYQ6Vow

Sure, if you want to watch it in the absolute worst quality possible. If you watch feature films on youtube, you will never in a trillion years experience the film. You'll think you have experienced it, but you'll be cheated. It's such a sadness that you think you've seen a film on fucking youtube. Get real.

Top Bottom