Movies you've recently watched

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
MrWeatherby said:
Sure, if you want to watch it in the absolute worst quality possible. If you watch feature films on youtube, you will never in a trillion years experience the film. You'll think you have experienced it, but you'll be cheated. It's such a sadness that you think you've seen a film on fucking youtube. Get real.

Oh you're so original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcNLEwf2pOw

guillaumecanet_emirkusturica_affairefarewell_02-500x267.jpg

L'affaire Farewell on Netflix I thought was a good change of pace for me from the Kung-Fu kick I've been on recently. Emir and Guillaume work pretty well together and it turns into a heart-felt story by the end of the movie. I'm not sure how accurate the movie is in light of the true story. 7/10.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
NightCrawler said:
Oh you're so original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcNLEwf2pOw

Yep :slan: I'm just glad someone got it.

Although Six String on youtube does look like it was forcefully ejected from a VHS player's butthole. Then again the alternative is to pay about 13 dollars, so

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I'm just glad I don't post on a forum with a bunch of Lynchless heathens.

Speaking of, I'm considering watching through all of Twin Peaks again. Damn good show. I've never seen the movie, though.

edit: oh yeah, movies I've recently watched, not shows I want to. I did rewatch some of Executive Koala yesterday.

double edit: I saw it. Did not care for it at all. It's just not The Punisher, and the only thing really connecting it to that franchise is the actor they used and the appearance of his shirt for a short period of time. In the comics
Frank would have just gone back to his van and grabbed a bazooka or some knife shooting gun and return to destroy those guys outside the laundromat. He wouldn't have hesitated to torch that punk at the end either. Hell, in the context of this short it doesn't even make sense that he wouldn't since he blatantly shot several people dead. I get that he left the lighter for that one chick to cook the guy with, but that's still far removed from who the Punisher is, he'd prefer to do the deed himself. It's all so very out of character.
The TDK soundtrack was obnoxiously apparent, and didn't sync to the action well at all. I am not charmed by it. vvvvvvvv

H

hellrasinbrasin

Whose seen that R-Rated Punisher Web film #DirtyLaundry Directed by Thomas Jane. That shit was hard core.

Anyway here is the quote by the Director:

"I wanted to make a fan film for a character I've always loved and believed in - a love letter to Frank Castle & his fans. It was an incredible experience with everyone on the project throwing in their time just for the fun of it. It's been a blast to be a part of from start to finish -- we hope the friends of Frank enjoy watching it as much as we did making it." -- Thomas Jane

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
hellrasinbrasin said:
Whose seen that R-Rated Punisher Web film #DirtyLaundry Directed by Thomas Jane. That shit was hard core.

Anyway here is the quote by the Director:

"I wanted to make a fan film for a character I've always loved and believed in - a love letter to Frank Castle & his fans. It was an incredible experience with everyone on the project throwing in their time just for the fun of it. It's been a blast to be a part of from start to finish -- we hope the friends of Frank enjoy watching it as much as we did making it." -- Thomas Jane

Why didn't you tell me sooner?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc (Since I'm a nice guy I'll even post a link!)

I really hope Jane can get the chance to do his own Punisher movie.

Anyways, I recently saw Ted. If you like Family Guy you'll like this, but if you don't avoid it. (My girlfriend made me see it, she loves teddy bears.)

hudson-aliens-05032011.jpg

Had 3 friends over last night and we'd watched Alien a few weeks ago because one of the guys had not seen any of the Alien movies before. The re-watch reminded me how awesome Hudson's character is, easily my favorite in the movie. Anyway, the guy new to the series loved Alien and found AlienS boring. We watched the Theatrical version.

EDIT:

total_recall-still_3.jpg

Watched the Total Recall remake last night with a pal visiting from Wisconsin. He's a big fan of the original movie and wanted to check this one out. At the end of it, I wondered for a second what I had just watched. Kate B steals the show because she's just a badass and there's no other character really worth rooting for. Cranston brought his Breaking Bad demeanor to the movie, didn't work for me or maybe that's because his characters actions or the plot itself didn't sit well with me. Some of the CG towards the end was B-movie worthy, aww heck, I hated this movie. It didn't help that I was a little sleepy and was struggling real hard to keep awake.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Finally watched Lockout. WOW. It was pretty bad. Typical Luc Besson type action-y stuff (but did it have to be that dumb?). Guy Pierce was awesome though. Badass and hilarious. So I guess I can only recommend seeing it if your a huge Guy Pierce fan. Like in a creepy need to see him in everything kind of way. Otherwise don't waste your time or the $1 it takes from redbox.

Lockout was pretty fun, if you know what you're in for. It's like Escape From NY in space with a cocky Guy Pierce. The guy's character has the best punchlines in the movie. Casual watch, there's a bad CG scene in the beginning but I guess it adds to the movie's charm. 6.5/10. I'd recommend it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Lockout was pretty fun, if you know what you're in for. It's like Escape From NY in space with a cocky Guy Pierce. The guy's character has the best punchlines in the movie. Casual watch, there's a bad CG scene in the beginning but I guess it adds to the movie's charm. 6.5/10. I'd recommend it.

Yea but towards the end? That freefall from space to earth? Soo bad its comical.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
hudson-aliens-05032011.jpg

Had 3 friends over last night and we'd watched Alien a few weeks ago because one of the guys had not seen any of the Alien movies before. The re-watch reminded me how awesome Hudson's character is, easily my favorite in the movie. Anyway, the guy new to the series loved Alien and found AlienS boring. We watched the Theatrical version.

Yeah, Hudson is by far my favorite character out of the entire franchise.

As for movies, I recently watched Bronson, starring Tom Hardy. It was good, but really obscure.

IncantatioN said:
It's like Escape From NY in space with a cocky Guy Pierce. The guy's character has the best punchlines in the movie.

I stopped listening when anyone but Pierce was on screen, its to bad his character had to get stuck in a movie that bad.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
JoeZeon said:
I stopped listening when anyone but Pierce was on screen, its to bad his character had to get stuck in a movie that bad.

In any other movie, with any other character, Snow would have been out-shined regardless. He was an okay character for the movie, but outside of that he would be even more worthless.

I re-watched Warrior cos my pal hadn't seen it and it's one of those movies that gets better every time you see it.

The-Bourne-Legacy-Featurette-Explains-Connection-to-Matt-Damon-Trilogy.jpg

We couldn't get tickets for TDKR at Lincoln Center's IMAX and landed up watching The Bourne Legacy instead. I didn't like the movie as much as I did the next day when I thought about it. It was bad but it wasn't good. If you're expecting fast action scenes like the Damon~Bourne movies, you'll be disappointed. There's a cool
chase scene in Manilla though
. 6/10.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Caught Rocky 3 and 4 on TV last night, and have concluded that Rocky 3 is fundamentally the same film as Dark Knight Rises.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
MrWeatherby said:
Caught Rocky 3 and 4 on TV last night, and have concluded that Rocky 3 is fundamentally the same film as Dark Knight Rises.

Oh yeah, and I believe I called that in the DKR thread months ago (plus didn't I reference it on the podcast, "I'M AFRAID!") Same themes and everything, all he needed was the Joker to train him and the only difference would be that Batman didn't work out in a black gym in LA in order to learn how to fight black... yeeeeeah. There's even a little Rocky IV in there too, "I must break you."

Can't you just imagine Bruce Wayne in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPb7g_BlXQ

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Griffith said:
Oh yeah, and I believe I called that in the DKR thread months ago (plus didn't I reference it on the podcast, "I'M AFRAID!") Same themes and everything, all he needed was the Joker to train him and the only difference would be that Batman didn't work out in a black gym in LA in order to learn how to fight black... yeeeeeah. There's even a little Rocky IV in there too, "I must break you."

Can't you just imagine Bruce Wayne in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwPb7g_BlXQ

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to come to that conclusion then, though I will say that Bruce did have a parallel to Creed's gym. Both Bruce and Rocky had to go back to their roots to train in some way. For Rocky that was getting down and dirty and training in a real gym, fighting people that had that same passion he did when he first started. Bruce's was finding what he had when he first set out to be Batman, so much so that a vision of his mentor even appears before him. For both of them it was about finding something they had lost and using that to overcome the bad guy.

Likewise, their cockiness and inability to take their respective threats as seriously as they were advised to directly lead to them being crushed.

IncantatioN said:
It was bad but it wasn't good. If you're expecting fast action scenes like the Damon~Bourne movies, you'll be disappointed.
Oh man i was looking forward to this movie. I enjoyed the Damon-Bourne movies so i was happy to hear that they are going to make another one. I am sad to hear that you didn't like it Incantation.

I think you should still check it out. To me it was pretty decent but the fact that it's part of the Bourne franchise made my have high expectations from it. I'll say this, it's the weakest in the franchise.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I only saw the Bourne trilogy a bit over a year ago and I only thought they were ok. My biggest problem were those "fast action scenes" where it's implied something cool or interesting is happening, but between the ridiculous number of quick cuts and shaky-cam you never get to actually see it. It doesn't have to be so extreme, but give me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoaYchGtpI any day over that lazy shit.

Maybe it was because everyone I've ever talked to hailed those movies as so incredibly amazing that I was very disappointed when I actually saw it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
It doesn't have to be so extreme, but give me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoaYchGtpI any day over that lazy shit.

I agree with your general sentiment, but keep in mind that Matt Damon isn't a martial arts expert.

Top Bottom