Movies you've recently watched

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
MrWeatherby said:
For both of them it was about finding something they had lost and using that to overcome the bad guy.

Except that for Batman, instead of actual fight training, he had to go back to all that MASTUR YOUR PHEAR mumbo jumbo from Batman Begins. :ganishka:

Another plus for The Dark Knight (Not Rises), all that BS isn't mentioned once, not even in casual passing or reference to the first movie. Batman Begins is almost completely ignored in TDK, other than the fact that Batman and masked criminals exist, and I don't think it's a coincidence.

MrWeatherby said:
Likewise, their cockiness and inability to take their respective threats as seriously as they were advised to directly lead to them being crushed.

Only difference is Alfred wasn't setting Batman up against second tier villains in the meantime, so the coming out of retirement aspect is more akin to Rocky IV. The split with Alfred parallels Mickey's death in Rocky III pretty well though, and Bruce Wayne going broke... just like Rocky V!

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Their training doesn't need to be 1:1 to get the theme across, though. Which was gaining what was put behind. Rocky's eye of the tiger, and Bruce's fear.

But yeah, there's a lot of similar themes running throughout that series and Rises. I personally see the most in Rocky 3.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Aazealh said:
I agree with your general sentiment, but keep in mind that Matt Damon isn't a martial arts expert.

I do appreciate that, but he doesn't have to be. While I would never expect him to be able to pull off something like that scene from The Protector, many actors and actresses do great action scenes by simply learning scene-to-scene choreography. Which is why I find shaky-cam all the more lazy. I guess in some circumstances it's a style choice, but it just doesn't hold my attention.

I watched Warrior last night.
215px-Warrior_Poster.jpg

Tom Hardy was awesome. The story was solid. The MMA only had a few obvious faults (I'm not a huge mma guy though). Overall definitely worth a watch.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Saw expendables 2 . I live behind a movie theatre now and just went in to have some movie time. It was just another popcorn movie, only I e who annoyed me was Chuck Norris.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I agree. Chuck Norris really felt out of place (and he said a chuck norris internet fact). The movie itself is pretty much what you would expect.. explosions, guns, and a few hand to hand fight scenes. it isnt a bad movie, it will make you smirk a couple times. watch it drunk and it would be amazing i bet.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinb said:
Anyone here seen Solomon Kane? I have and it was better than I initially thought.

Saw the trailer again a few weeks ago by coincidence and since you mention it I might well just give it a shot.

EDIT: Watched it, wasn't too bad, though not very faithful to the original material. Entertaining.

Aazealh said:
Saw the trailer again a few weeks ago by coincidence and since you mention it I might well just give it a shot.

EDIT: Watched it, wasn't too bad, though not very faithful to the original material. Entertaining.

Though how many fantasy films are truly ever faithful to the source material... It had a very The Sword and the Sorcerer feel to it (and since you've seen Solomon Kane you'll know which scene I am referring to Aazealh)-- it was like watching old 80s fantasy films like The Sword and the Sorcerer and Conan the Barbarian.

hellrasinb said:
Anyone here seen Solomon Kane? I have and it was better than I initially thought.

Saw the movie quite a while ago, thoroughly enjoyed it. Sadly though it ended up being one of those great films not many people saw. Now that is over in the states hopefully it might be able to make enough money to have sequels follow from onward because I feel that the film managed to stay as true to E. Howard's stories as much as possible and the direction as well as the film itself went incredibly well.

Re watched Enemy at the Gates the other night, mainly because I just bought a Mosin Nagant rifle. Other than the sniper scenes it was really cringe-worthy, would've been much better had they cut out the love story and added more sniper related material.

Ed Harris as Major Konig= Win
Bob Hoskins as Nikita Khrushchev=Glorious Win

snow-white-and-the-huntsman-queen.jpg

Snow White And The Huntsman, because I needed to take my mind off work and that was a bad idea in some ways but it put me to sleep which was a good thing considering I've slept probably 8/10 hours this past week. Thor was cool being medieval Thor, Stewart did her usual 2/3 faces throughout the movie, visually it had it's cool moments like some scenes in the dark forest and the movie belongs to Charlize's fun to watch performance. Movie by itself, not good. 3/10.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I was a little curious to see the new Resident Evil, so I snuck in to watch the last couple of minutes. Was a bit too late, came in on the credits where dubstep was playing. Threw my arms up in the air and spun out of the room. Fuck that noise.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Just watched the new Dark Knight Returns. Weller was actually a decent Wayne/Batman after the first few lines. Emerson is a decent "aged" Joker.

Overall a decent adaptation.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Johnstantine said:
Just watched the new Dark Knight Returns. Weller was actually a decent Wayne/Batman after the first few lines. Emerson is a decent "aged" Joker.

Yea but is it adequate?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Oburi said:
Yea but is it adequate?

I enjoyed it for what it was. It just wasn't much.

The fuzzed the operating table/surgeon line. It was delivered in a flat and boring manner. I always thought of it as being delivered in an ultra-gritty way. Also, the Joker doesn't speak until the end...and then the movie ends.

sunshine.jpg

Not sure how many times I've re-watched Sunshine, but last night I fulfilled one of those urges. I cannot wait for it to come back to a theater for a 1 night screening at IFC or something. Under-rated. 9/10.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
sunshine.jpg

Not sure how many times I've re-watched Sunshine, but last night I fulfilled one of those urges. I cannot wait for it to come back to a theater for a 1 night screening at IFC or something. Under-rated. 9/10.

Oh god I loved that movie. I can attest to losing count of how many times I've watched it. When it first was released in theaters, it pained me to know that the score might not be released because of a lawsuit between Underworld and Fox. I was so sad because I loved the entire score (especially when they see Mercury). But it was eventually released, and I listen to it at least once or twice a month.

As for the movie, it was wonderful. The first two acts are completely different from the third. In the third, it becomes more of a space horror, as opposed to a space drama. It reminded me a lot of Event Horizon, except without the demons and hell stuff. The end of the movie just blew me away, as well. It felt like the most fitting, spiritual way to die.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
I liked Sunshine, but the final few minutes of the film were... well, a little disappointingly abstract.

Also, the ridiculous idea that a payload the size of Manhattan could reignite the sun was extremely dumb. The sun probably emits a billion times much more energy than that every second.

/science

*edit* Did some research, and the power the sun emits the equivalent of about 3.7 trillion atomic bombs per day.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Also, the ridiculous idea that a payload the size of Manhattan could reignite the sun was extremely dumb. The sun probably emits a billion times much more energy than that every second.

/science

*edit* Did some research, and the power the sun emits the equivalent of about 3.7 trillion atomic bombs per day.
First of all, yes. Stupid idea. But it was a dying sun, so maybe it didn't have the same energy output as it does today.

(It really doesn't matter)

Johnstantine said:

I posted my review up in The Dark Knight Returns Thread so I'll be brief...

- For its adaptation of Book 1 The Dark Knight Returns + Book 2 The Dark Knight Triumphant the film I thought did a decent job in its translating the material to film within a 74 Minute Run Time. I expect that Part 2s adaptation of
Book 3 Hunt The Dark Knight + Book 4 The Dark Knight Falls
to have a 74 Minute Run Time as well.

- I had some minor issues with the VAs initially but then they settled into their characters nicely.

Overall I thought Part 1 was a decent adaptation and that was attributed to at least having the right people behind the project and I look forward to Part 2 in the Spring so I can give a complete review of the film as a whole.

Top Bottom