Movies you've recently watched

Just watched battleship was very predictable as i expected but i guess it was ok

And also the original teenage mutant ninja turtles i actually still really liked it despite its childish fight scenes lol wonder how badly Michael bay is
gunna butcher that franchise...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Also, the ridiculous idea that a payload the size of Manhattan could reignite the sun was extremely dumb. The sun probably emits a billion times much more energy than that every second.

/science

*edit* Did some research, and the power the sun emits the equivalent of about 3.7 trillion atomic bombs per day.

Well the idea behind it is that it'd trigger a chain reaction to re-spark the sun's fusion (that was slowly stopping), so it's not THAT bad as far as hokey science goes, especially since from memory it's made out to be a new special type of super bomb designed specifically for that purpose.

Johnstantine said:
Just got back from a sneak peek of Looper.

I gotta say, it was a damn good movie. Really good. I recommend that everyone go and watch it.

Better than Inception? (this is a trick question)

Saw Dredd 3D the other day and it was pretty damn fun! The slow-mo shots are great and it has some pretty funny moments. I also developed quite the crush for Anderson as the film progressed... :farnese:

Johnstantine said:
Just got back from a sneak peek of Looper.

I gotta say, it was a damn good movie. Really good. I recommend that everyone go and watch it.
Oooooo, I'll watch it on Sunday then.

andy_samberg__danny_mcbride__bill_hader_and_jorma_hot_rod_movie_image.jpg

Never watched Hot Rod before and I was laughing my ass off in some scenes, fun movie. 8/10.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Oooooo, I'll watch it on Sunday then.

Never watched Hot Rod before and I was laughing my ass off in some scenes, fun movie. 8/10.

Yeah, I recommend it. I enjoyed it immensely. As for Hot Rod, the funniest scene is when he falls down the mountain. I laughed so fucking hard during that part.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saw Looper tonight. It was a good movie—but falls short of greatness. I really wanted to love it for a few of its more subtle moments, but I don't think it lived up to its potential.

There are some insightful things done that I've never seen a time travel movie deal with, and when it's dealing with the heart of the concept that drives this movie, it's great. But these moments are stitched together by things we've all seen a few dozen times, and its tedium ends up rubbing off on those worthwhile elements. In this very particular way, it reminded me of the parts that I liked and hated about Inception (that GI Joe-esque snowmobile chase sequence ruined the whole movie for me.)

Ultimately, I think Rian Johnson was playing with concepts a little beyond the scope of the story he had to tell, and the budget he was dealt. There are so many editing shortcuts made that after a while, the null factor starts to add up. One particular element felt literally stitched in _just because_. It's introduced in a haphazard fashion, as if to say: Oh yeah and there's this. Being intentionally vague here, obviously. As a result, many scenes and circumstances feel contrived and sprawling—almost like two movies for a good portion of it.

I'm still fresh from the experience, so I can't word it precisely, but it felt like it never became the movie it kept trying to be. It's still a movie you should go see if you're into time travel as a concept. But I don't think it's the kind of movie that's going to make waves or anything, and that's too bad given the premise. Still, I'm almost going to insist that the other admins watch it, just so I can talk about it on the podcast :troll:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I didn't really like Looper. I think this is partially to do with that I had no idea what to expect going into it, but some things seemed like they didn't fit or blindsided me.
Telekinetic powers, in particular, completely threw me off guard and it's introduction and how it was used didn't fit with my idea of what this movie was about. It seemed really dumb.
It's not that I hated this movie, it's just that I left feeling almost nothing at all.

^ next up - The Raid - for you.

Got this in the mail yesterday ... going to watch it this afternoon!

BTBR_zps2af5cb11.jpg

Blind purchase, will either be a hit/ miss and that's perfect.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
^ next up - The Raid - for you.

Got this in the mail yesterday ... going to watch it this afternoon!

Blind purchase, will either be a hit/ miss and that's perfect.

I've been meaning to watch that. I immediately got the Sinoia Caves album after I heard it when I watched the trailer for this movie back in 2010.

Yesterday I rocked a double feature of Looper and The Master. Both great films. Looper looks to be Rian Johnson's breakout movie (I adore Brothers Bloom and Brick). It had solid action, and I'm a sucker for time travel. The Master, well, wow. It may as well be titled "And the oscar goes to Jaquen Pheonix" (who I don't even like.. but he was pretty great). Philip Seymour Hoffman was captivating, and I think I understand what its like to be brain washed now. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JudeauChop said:
Looper looks to be Rian Johnson's breakout movie (I adore Brothers Bloom and Brick)
I actually liked Brick a lot better, even though it was drowning in its own overblown style most of the time.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I saw a lot of movies recently. Ill bring up two of them.

1. The Master. Not sure what I can say after this. I'm a huge PTA fan (Boogie Nights is one of my personal favorites) so I had really high hopes and while the movie was technically amazing, I can't say i really enjoyed the 2 1/2 hours i was sitting there watching it. It seemed liked it really dragged during some parts. For a movie buff like me the cinematography, editing, music, and especially the performances really create something to lose yourself in. All top notch. There are some really intense scenes. I just felt that a lot could have been trimmed.

2. Dredd. This movie was fucking awesome. Let me repeat that. This movie was fucking awesome. Seriously go see it guys. Old school 80s action movie that does the original comic justice (from what I hear, haven't read enough of it myself). No romance bullshit. No speeches. No learning. Just straight up eliminate the bad guys (played by the chick that plays Cercei on Game of Thrones) and save the day. Its like Die Hard in the future with it's fair share of badass one liners. Karl Urban plays the perfect Dredd too. Reminded me of Rorschach in some ways.

I need to check both those movies out, soon ... soon.

black__1339098411_8322.jpg

I've watched this twice now in the last 3 days and Beyond The Black Rainbow clicks with me. Must caution you, if you're in it for the story, there's not much and it's pretty simple. Pacing's slow, dialog is paused/ slow, certain 4/ 5 core tunes repeat throughout the movie and the ending is sudden. But that's not all that it's about. The visuals, atmosphere, story although weird fit well with the kind of movie it was trying to be. The music's haunting with an 80's vibe which's perfect cos the movie sets place in 1983. Overall 9/10 from me, I miss sci-fi movies like this from the 80's era.

sound-of-my-voice-movie-trailer.jpg

Sound Of My Voice was actually pretty good, just as I expected or hoped. What I didn't know was Marling's involvement in directing the movie. If you liked Another Earth, this's right up your alley. Both movies have a similar sci-fi theme and relate to time travel. There's a lot going on within those 80 some minutes of the movie. 8/10.

Thanks man!

affiche-les-betes-feroces-attaquent-wild-beasts-belve-feroci-1984-3.jpg

I was at my pal's place last night and he wanted to kick off a spooky movie month thing he usually does every October, so we had 3 choices and went with Wild Beasts just by looking at the cover. I mean, it's so goddamn interesting and then we started watching it. Man, this was almost like watching an animal exploitation movie! Some hilarious scenes, some that make you go "No they didn't just ....", it's pretty messed up. Synopsis "The water supply for a large city zoo becomes contaminated with PCP, and the animals go crazy and get loose.". Anyway, here's one of my favorite scenes ... massive props to the motorcycle stuntman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZfkBt4S5P4&sns=fb. 6/10 because it's so bad that it's so good.

EDIT

murphy-deniro-red-lights.JPG

Red Lights had cool potential with it's great cast and a slightly interesting plot but you can see the ending coming if you're smart to catch on. I didn't like the way it was explained at the end, wouldn't hurt to leave some ambiguity for the audience. Anyway, it had potential and fails. 4/10.

jeremy-jones-further.jpg

Went for the movie's premiere showing on Wednesday and the only thing that sucked about the experience was that it cost me $4 for a can of soda and $4 for Coca Cola off the tap with lot of ice in a mid-sized cup, plus we stood for the whole movie. Anyway, Further had some pretty cool visuals. I liked the fact that they showed the skiers hike up and not ride helicopters to get to the top of the cliff. They ski down cliffs in Japan, Norway and Alaska. Not a lot of drama but there were 2/3 mishaps during the filming of it. Here's a trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAJjw5QCwNo

I'm actually more interested in watching this movie, they showed the trailer for it before they started - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-imGzglPweo

EDIT

men_in_black_3_006-651x433.jpg

MIB3 actually impressed me cos it was A LOT better than MIB2. A lot. It was witty, quick and fun. Brolin was a convincing Tommy Lee Jones. 7/10.

arnexp.jpg

Finally got around watching The Expendables 2 and the bad script/ story didn't bother me, I knew what I was in for right from the start. But dude, this felt like the last Rambo when it came to action and I loved it for that haha! Cameos felt like cameos, outta nowhere with no explanation but who cares. The last battle sequence is tits. 6/10 and a confirmed re-watch.

moonrise-kingdom-1.jpg

Moonrise Kingdom deserves all the praise and success it got, I just got around watching it. 2 kids like each other, fall in love and basically run off. The story takes place on a very small island and everyone's on the hunt for them. You're drawn to them, hoping they're never caught cos what they have is pretty sweet. Typical Anderson humor, 9/10.

Its Halloween-ish, and I watched a few scary movies this weekend, sadly they were all eclipsed by the first:
exclusive-poster-for-horror-flick-the-woman-64943-470-75.jpg

The Woman.
This movie was awesome. It was suspenseful, intense, and disturbing. The relationship between family members is interesting. A lot of people didn't like the soundtrack, but I really thought it added a bit of humor the the darkness of this film. Definitely worth a watch. I even started reading the Jack Ketchum novelas its based on.

215px-ParanormalActivity3Poster.jpg

Paranormal Activity 3
Ok ok, I'm a year behind, and I blame this on not being very impressed with the 2nd (and being absolutely SICK of found footage films), but I really enjoyed this one, it was a lot better than the 2nd, and had some interesting twists n turns. Nothing amazing, but was enjoyable.

MV5BNzkwNDkyNTUxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY1NTE3Nw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Chernobyl Diaries

Meh. It had some fun parts, and I aws very relieved to find out it wasn't a found footage movie.

I've been meaning to check out The Woman, thanks for posting about it! Chernobyl Diaries popped up on Netflix recently but it looked predictable so I haven't watched it yet, I'll skip that. I'm actually going to see Paranormal Activity 4 tonight as part of Horror movie month. For me, so far it's PA 1 > PA 2 > PA 3 (only liked the end).

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I personally couldn't stand the first PA because absolutely nothing happens in it. I hear the others are better, but I was so turned off by the first that you'd have to use physical force to get me to see any of the rest of those things.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The trailers for Paranormal Activity always make me laugh. It looks like America's Funniest Home Videos, only with moody music and a blue filter. Take those away, add a laugh track and a Bob Saget commentary, and you have a hit show.

That's an awesome idea, Walter!

But yeah, it's a different kind of Horror akin to The Blair Witch Project. So if didn't like that one, you're not going to like this. EDIT: by 'akin to' only referring to the style and how it's shown to the audience, as a more reality based depiction.

Top Bottom