Movies you've recently watched

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the movie, Delta! I don't think I'll ever end up seeing it (barring its inevitable SyFy airing :void: ), but it's sad to hear that it's about what everyone here expected.

Delta Phi said:
I still think making The Gunslinger would have been a better choice. It's short enough, you could pretty much just use the book as the screenplay, and it would make for a fantastic movie, imo, with the option to continue the series if it did well.

I would agree, and it seems like the same pitfall that Berserk has fallen into with regards to adaptations. The most easily digestable, adaptation-friendly part of the series keeps getting left behind! :judo:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Delta's review is actually one of the kindest I've read, it otherwise sounds like a complete disaster. It's really too bad they didn't just follow The Gunslinger as many have suggested, but of course not. Like Grail pointed out, it's very much how nobody has the good sense to just adapt the BS arc. Anyway, bummer, The Dark Tower would have been way better off as an HBO series or something if Westworld didn't get there first (and it didn't, DT has been in production hell forever). It's funny, film adaptations used to be the ultimate status milestone if nothing else, now it's almost an insult, "Not good enough to be a TV series?" :ganishka:

I had watched the Scarlett Johansson ghost in the shell film with my dad (he just wanted to see her in the bodysuit) and i don't think it was anywhere as bad as some people had made it out to be. It certainly lacked in comparison to the other movies, and I don't remember all details, but i think they focused more on parts that the anime films didn't. for example, the whole deal with the organization trying to control her, i feel like the animated films were much more subtle on that. And the whole deal with her identity, i'm not sure how much of that was canon either.
If any of you have seen it and are familiar with the Ghost in the shell series let me know your thoughts.

^^ Maybe it's because I went in with 0 expectations but I ended up enjoying Ghost of the Shell a hell of a lot more than I thought I would. Though it felt pretty diluted in comparison to the original anime, it really wasn't that bad.

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. I thought it was pretty damn fun and hilarious. A pretty solid follow up to the first. Though the charm felt a 'tad' dialled back in comparison to the first movie. Not by much though. That could just be because the first movie stood out so well in comparison to the original Marvel universe movies for me shrug.

I seen It as well and it was pretty damn awesome. I loved that it didn't shy away from anything really even when the cast was kids. Which made so much of the humor in the movie shine. It really was more funny than scary. But it didn't take away from it at all either.

The horror itself was pretty gruesome and creepy. Though I really wish they didn't use annoying 'horror audio cues' and such. Drives me nuts when horror movies do that because it's basically saying 'hey be scared now guys! Boo!' when, fuck off really, the horror should (and would) stand on its own.

More of a nitpick though. Stoked for the next movie in a couple years~

Death-Warrior.jpg

I was lucky I got to see (the Turkish) Death Warrior on the big screen a couple of weeks ago. To give you an idea of the movie, this's the opening scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptxJ8CqD8Zw

It was tear jerking fantastic. It has a bit of everything - ninjas, zombies, car chases, bike chases, soundtrack borrowed from Jaws and Psycho because the sound director liked it so much when he watched it that he did a copy-paste and a good script that's somehow lost in translation. Here's an example of what's going on ...

M5VcAwe.png

ng2szNt.png

MhwCPuM.png

TkNyP5e.png

There was a point in the film where the Turkish Cop delivers one of the most important dialogs only to get cut to the next scene mid-sentence. And this would happen a lot. Unfortunately it's a long long film and my cheeks/ jaw began to hurt from exhaustion. A bit torturous but got through it. In short, recommended!

m said:
:sad: I was a bit disappointed by this movie. I should know by now that expectations are a bitch.

That's a bummer, I guess I'll skip it. I watched the first one again (I think a month or two ago on my Rhode Island visit) and enjoyed it. It's a fun, casual watch.

MV5BMTU1NDU2MjI5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg0MjYwMjI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Movie premise - Mindhorn was a somewhat popular TV show back in the day that unfortunately gets shelved. Fast forward to present day and the actor who played the character - Richard - is washed up, unemployed and pretty desperate for work. There's a killer on the prowl (big fan of the show ... thinks the fictional character Mindhorn is real) and requests to negotiate with Mindhorn. Richard takes up the job in the hope it'll be good PR and it'll revive his career. There's nothing new with the story and you can probably smell the end mid-film much like getting a whiff of the french fries you ordered as you're walking towards the counter to pick up the order. And yet, there's a certain charm to the humor because it's really well acted and it's a light film in it's core. It's a small cast and crew and they all do the job perfectly. Recommended.

Finally watched Blade Runner (The Final Cut) on the big screen last night. I've watched it occasionally at home, whenever I've been in the mood for it but there's something about the theater experience that makes this pop - visuals, soundtrack - just everything. The downside to the theater experience was that you could notice the picture quality lose it's crispness in a few scenes and retain them when the camera would move or switch to the next shot.

Griffith

Walter said:
Blade Runner was good.

Well, that's a relief, I know you're not an easy date either. I was kind of suppressing any feelings about it one way or another, so this is the closest I have to expectations (you also just confirmed to me it's out =).

Carve out 2h43m of your lives and go see it :void:

Now that's the hard part... Maybe I'll leave work early this week and see it before I go home. Don't tell MY WIFE!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Well, that's a relief, I know you're not an easy date either.

That's generally true, but I also walked out of Interstellar thinking it was awesome, so I'm also sometimes just a complete ho bag.

(2h43m) ... Now that's the hard part... Maybe I'll leave work early this week and see it before I go home/url]

I highly recommend this app, too: http://runpee.com/ :carcus:

I have a lot to say about Blade Runner, but I don't want to get too into it before anyone here has seen it, so I'll just hold onto my thoughts for later.

Griffith

Walter said:
That's generally true, but I also walked out of Interstellar thinking it was awesome, so I'm also sometimes just a complete ho bag.

Nothing to be ashamed of, Interstellar IS awesome. I have no idea why the usually slutty pop syfy fandem drew the line with its relative flaws, despite its strengths, yet falls for every other one trick pony that comes through the stable (Edge of Tomorrow OMG I'M CUMMING!!!!). I'm guessing it's cynicism for show because the movie dares to mix sci-fi with unabashed sentimentality. I guess Star Trek sucks too. *shrugs* Then again, I've gotten much softer in my middle age (pun NOT intended =).

I highly recommend this app, too: http://runpee.com/ :carcus:

:ganishka:

I have a lot to say about Blade Runner, but I don't want to get too into it before anyone here has seen it, so I'll just hold onto my thoughts for later.

Looking forward to discussing it!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Nothing to be ashamed of, Interstellar IS awesome! I have no idea why the usually slutty pop syfy fandem drew the line with its relative flaws, despite all its strengths, yet falls for every other one trick pony that comes through the stable (Edge of Tomorrow OMG I'M CUMMING!!!!). I'm guessing it's cynicism for show because the movie dares to mix sci-fi with unabashed sentimentality.

Whew, I didn't meant to kick a hornet's nest! Interstellar was by no means a bad movie. I just don't think its goopy quality has aged very well -- at least, for me. I went back and watched it again about a half-year ago. Didn't do much for me, and I felt a bit ashamed for praising it so highly at the time (2014). :sad:

Griffith

Walter said:
Whew, I didn't meant to kick a hornet's nest!

Gotta show I'm still hard even when I cry at the end of Interstellar!! :ganishka:

Interstellar was by no means a bad movie. I just don't think its goopy quality has aged very well -- at least, for me. I went back and watched it again about a half-year ago. Didn't do much for me, and I felt a bit ashamed for praising it so highly at the time (2014). :sad:

Hey, I liked your original post with the expanded points on it's depth or lack thereof, it's place in Nolan's repertoire, and that kind of purportedly multiple-viewing movie in general. Anyway, I think what you're saying is fair and accurate, but that's FINE. It doesn't need to be the best movie, it's still an excideingly ambitious and entertaining one, but I feel like that's the standard it's held to while lesser genre fair gets a pass and casually praised just for being cool or some shit. As for 'Stellar's (cooler already) rather simple answer to the meaning of it all, it's probably the most honest and acceptable: love, family, humanity, or, more scientifically, the specirs, and what preseving it and how really means. IDK, I don't feel like any of these movies are truly not goopy; it's not like actual geniuses on the cutting edge of human understanding are writing Hollywood screenplays that are changing the way we think or teaching us something new, unless... Blade Runner 2049? =)

And if you really want to kick the hornet's nest we'd bring up the P word, but I'm not gonna!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Hey, I liked your original post with the expanded points on it's depth or lack thereof, it's place in Nolan's repertoire, and that kind of purportedly multiple-viewing movie in general.

Yeah, that was only my fifth draft! I often simplify my posts after writing them out in a stream of consciousness manner.

. IDK, I don't feel like any of these movies are truly not goopy;

It's a sliding scale, not a binary. And Interstellar is like early 90s Nickelodeon: GAK'D!!!

it's not like actual geniuses on the cutting edge of human understanding are writing Hollywood screenplays that are changing the way we think or teaching us something new, unless... Blade Runner 2049? =)

Nope Blade Runner
transcends film as a medium, and the final words are "Cyber Rosebud."

And if you really want to kick the hornet's nest we'd bring up the P word, but I'm not gonna!

We should rename the thread to Griffith Bound.

Walter said:
Blade Runner was good. Carve out 2h43m of your lives and go see it :void:

You're not easy to please, so your post fills me with optimism about the movie. I was trying not to get too excited because I like Denis but I'll go in with a bit of excitement. I'm watching it tomorrow.

I also loved Interstellar! :schnoz:

Walter said:
Blade Runner was good. Carve out 2h43m of your lives and go see it :void:

Unfortunately I haven't had time to watch it yet, but like Griffith and Incantation this hypes me up even more!

IncantatioN said:
I'm watching it tomorrow.
Griffith said:
Maybe I'll leave work early this week and see it before I go home.

I'll probably watch it friday. Even if I think you won't, don't forget to use spoiler tags! :guts:

Griffith

Walter said:
It's a sliding scale, not a binary. And Interstellar is like early 90s Nickelodeon: GAK'D!!!

It definitely plays up the emotion, but the guy did basically anandon his family if you're looking for the hard stuff. :carcus: I think the turning point is what's-her-name's clumsy love speech; the idea there could have been conveyed much better.

Nope Blade Runner
transcends film as a medium, and the final words are "Cyber Rosebud."

:ganishka:

I bet that would be a Leto line.

MiyamotoPuck said:
I also loved Interstellar! :schnoz:

Yeah, but it's much softer than all those other aspirational sci-fi movies about interstellar space travel, black holes, relatively, and humanity.

Griffith said:
I think the turning point is what's-her-name's clumsy love speech; the idea there could have been conveyed much better.
I agree.

Griffith said:
Yeah, but it's much softer than all those other aspirational sci-fi movies about interstellar space travel, black holes, relatively, and humanity.

Do you have any recommandations?

Griffith

MiyamotoPuck said:

And to be fair, the movie does represent different POVs or aspects of science and humanity with Mann and Hathaway at opposite ends of the spectrum and Michael Caine and Coop somewhere in-between. Coop will earnestly make the hard choices, but he's altruistic, honest and not cruel. Him going after her at the end was a nice conclusion.

MiyamotoPuck said:
Do you have any recommandations?

My point was there aren't many like Interstellar and it should be more appreciated and elevated above the typical alien, cyborg, and time travel gimmick movies that come every year like Christmas and get a pass (they're basically just thrillers with a sci-fi twist). But, uh, Aliens and Star Trek? :guts:

Griffith said:
And to be fair, the movie does represent different POVs or aspects of science and humanity with Mann and Hathaway at opposite ends of the spectrum and Michael Caine and Coop somewhere in-between. Coop will earnestly make the hard choices, but he's altruistic, honest and not cruel. Him going after her at the end was a nice conclusion.
I can only agree again! :serpico:

Griffith said:
My point was there aren't many like Interstellar and it should be more appreciated and elevated above the typical alien, cyborg, and time travel gimmick movies that come every year like Christmas and get a pass (they're basically just thrillers with a sci-fi twist). But, uh, Aliens and Star Trek? :guts:

Oh, of course, you're 100% right, sorry I misunderstood you. About Star Trek, I don't know why but it never really interested me, I'll give it a try someday! :guts:

Griffith said:
Nothing to be ashamed of, Interstellar IS awesome. I have no idea why the usually slutty pop syfy fandem drew the line with its relative flaws, despite its strengths, yet falls for every other one trick pony that comes through the stable (Edge of Tomorrow OMG I'M CUMMING!!!!).

Griffith said:

I have nothing against Interstellar, even though it didn't resonate with me all that much, and I do think that it will go down in history as an important movie, after all, not many movies result in scientific papers, but I do think that you were a bit harsh on Edge of Tomorrow. Sure, it can be labelled as a one trick pony and gimmicky, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when the one trick and the gimmick are well done and accomplish what they set out to do (except in terms of box office, as Edge of Tomorrow didn't quite perform as expected). I personally found Edge of Tomorrow to be quite entertaining, even on repeat viewings, and I think there are many other positives in the movie in addition to it being entertaining (Bill Paxton, anyone? :carcus:). I wouldn't say that movies of the quality of Edge of Tomorrow are all that typical or that they come out as frequently as every year, but that's just my opinion based on my experience with movies, which I admit is probably limited.

Griffith

m said:
I have nothing against Interstellar, even though it didn't resonate with me all that much, and I do think that it will go down in history as an important movie, after all, not many movies result in scientific papers

Yeah right, you're probably just here to defend Edge of Tomorrow!

m said:
but I do think that you were a bit harsh on Edge of Tomorrow.

A-ha!

m said:
Sure, it can be labelled as a one trick pony and gimmicky, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when the one trick and the gimmick are well done and accomplish what they set out to do (except in terms of box office, as Edge of Tomorrow didn't quite perform as expected). I personally found Edge of Tomorrow to be quite entertaining, even on repeat viewings, and I think there are many other positives in the movie in addition to it being entertaining (Bill Paxton, anyone? :carcus:). I wouldn't say that movies of the quality of Edge of Tomorrow are all that typical or that they come out as frequently as every year, but that's just my opinion based on my experience with movies, which I admit is probably limited.

I enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow too, it's good, but I also think it benefited from being surprisingly good (the all time champs of this phenomenon being Rise of the Planet of Apes, the first Pirates of the Caribbean, and one more big one that escapes me atm...[edit: The Hangover!]), whereas the hype around Interstellar kind of put it in a no-win place (save for the box office) of being transcendent or bust, and I thought it was much closer to the former, at least a credible attempt, than given credit, or even the credit given to less ambitious movies. So, I didn't mean to pick on Edge of Tomorrow so much as point out what I see as a double standard. Like, just come up with a cool Twilight Zone idea and we'll rave but don't get too ambitious or we'll be disappointed!

Just got back from Blade Runner 2049 and it's breathtaking, atmospheric and I found that I got to the end of the movie feeling satisfied, more than satisfied as a matter of fact about the justified length of the movie - giving the story the space it needed to be engaging, give you the chance to be emotionally invested in some characters. I almost can't believe it's that good a sequel.

Lets talk about the soundtrack - the visuals were amazing, sure but the soundtrack - blaring loud at times to enhance the spectacularity of the future world or those landscapes - was just awesome. I couldn't help but smile through most sequences. I was a bit surprised to see Hans Zimmer on the credits for it, maybe it was a good thing he's the lower/second credit.

Spoilers below -

I enjoyed Joi a whole lot and the complexities around her character + CGI. Stunning and that sequence with the prostitute reminded me of Her. It was heartbreaking to watch her get crushed with those last words of hers and K passing out, only to wake up to the sight of the prostitute to remind him of the shared experience he had with her and Joi.

That book - Pale Fire - I haven't read so I won't know any references in story relating to it unfortunately. Sigh.

The penultimate sequence between K and Luv was suffocating and hit hard.

It's interesting to see the film open with what I think is K's eye and the visual of the car that almost mirrors the opening sequence of the original movie with Deckard. So does that work in favor of the argument that Deckard is a replicant after all. I know Ridley insists on it but I feel like the movie, actually does this pretty well, where it doesn't over-explain the "Is Deckard a replicant?" question and doesn't give ambiguous answers. It takes you on a parallel with K and leaves the door open.

And that brings me to what I think was one key difference between the original and the sequel. The original leaves you with a lot more questions than this one does and it isn't disappointing or anything, it's just an observation. If anything, the sequel does well to build on those questions and without giving away much, retains most of the essence of the original.

I liked the little nods in the soundtrack or dialog "...more human than human..." and so forth in the sequel.

Coming to Wallace, he's not distracting, not flat or one dimensional which's a good thing and I think I personally could see past Jared Leto's casting or image from that horrible Joker he played last. Phew. His interaction with Deckard was a cool insight into the first one and adds another layer of questioning about the first one which I liked.

I have a lot more to discuss if someone who watched it can talk about it. Walter? I want to watch it again, for sure. Anyone watch the short movies they released? I haven't ...

Top Bottom