Hill of Swords Audio Score

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, great stuff Griff. At first I lamented that the video doesn't feature the setting of the title. But the foreknowledge that this is about the Hill of Swords, a dedication to the dead Falcons, just layers the emotion for this segment in the series, which is Guts basically saying goodbye to that portion of his life. The crescendo in the music also ties in well with the video.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Wow, great stuff Griff. At first I lamented that the video doesn't feature the setting of the title. But the foreknowledge that this is about the Hill of Swords, a dedication to the dead Falcons, just layers the emotion for this segment in the series, which is Guts basically saying goodbye to that portion of his life. The crescendo in the music also ties in well with the video.

Let's just say that it does the job more than competently in the absence of animated material showing the Hill of Swords.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Nomad said:
:isidro: Wow... Grifith, I'm seriously speechless. No greater gift than this, and safe to say you made my Bday....I mean it. I wouldn't even thought of any of this, you my friend have used every session flawlessly. Loved the coherent storytelling factor you used. I can't see it being done any better. Thank you, thank you... THANK you.

And thak you all for the compliments. I'm already setting up project number 2. Though I admit, this one will be more single themed dedicated rather than Hill of Swords is more open. Oooh and Griff, AIM me if you want to set out future projects. I see potential baby! :badbone:

Thanks so much Nomad, you're too kind. It was my honor, and your approval is obviously the most gratifying since it's your work I was trying to do justice.

And thanks all, I'm glad everyone seems to like it, especially Nomad (whew =). As for why I didn't actually show the duel itself, as has already been said, in general I was trying not to emphasis physical action in favor of the "emotional action" at hand, so this stayed true to that principle while also giving me more room to focus on the aftermath (time/space was another major factor). Though, it kind of worked out in a strange way. The time of the duel stands out as the most action packed moment from an editing standpoint, as it quickly flashes between Griffith, Guts, and the shocked reaction of the Hawks, all in a couple seconds, before dramatically revealing the result. Anyway, it was a different way of doing it, and I like how it turned out.

Finally, I'm also taking Nomad up on his generous offer to use his versatile score in BERSERK: RECUT, check it out:

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/YtMLbtUxXIA[/flash]

I've been waiting so long for appropriate credit music! :guts:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:
And thanks all, I'm glad everyone seems to like it, especially Nomad (whew =). As for why I didn't actually show the duel itself, as has already been said, in general I was trying not to emphasis physical action in favor of the "emotional action" at hand, so this stayed true to that principle while also giving me more room to focus on the aftermath (time/space was another major factor). Though, it kind of worked out in a strange way. The time of the duel stands out as the most action packed moment from an editing standpoint, as it quickly flashes between Griffith, Guts, and the shocked reaction of the Hawks, all in a couple seconds, before dramatically revealing the result. Anyway, it was a different way of doing it, and I like how it turned out.

Agreed. For those who haven't read the whole thread... That track wasn't intended to be added on Griffith's project. Therefor, like he said the timing was short on the content basis. Following the story pattern from the series and fitting it to the mood and different sessions of the song was Griffith's challenge. Or so I imagine. Hence why I believe he did a flawless job. Lack of material, a song that wasn't meant to that purpose and successfully placing the scenes as they happened... I really give this man props. Not to mention doing a good job in staging the key moments to the song.

And Griff, I'll see if I can add more material for you to use if you wish. The credits can be something easy for me to make. Sooo, I'll send them as I make it, and use to your own liking.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Nomad said:
Agreed. For those who haven't read the whole thread... That track wasn't intended to be added on Griffith's project. Therefor, like he said the timing was short on the content basis. Following the story pattern from the series and fitting it to the mood and different sessions of the song was Griffith's challenge. Or so I imagine. Hence why I believe he did a flawless job. Lack of material, a song that wasn't meant to that purpose and successfully placing the scenes as they happened... I really give this man props. Not to mention doing a good job in staging the key moments to the song.

And Griff, I'll see if I can add more material for you to use if you wish. The credits can be something easy for me to make. Sooo, I'll send them as I make it, and use to your own liking.

Thanks again man, too kind, and I'll listen to anything you got. I'm already looking forward to your next big project. :SK:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Keep this up. Nomad, I've listened to this over and over again. The video was the icing on the cake. Fantastic and inspiring.

Nxa

The Struggler is unleashed.
To add something that hasn't been already said:
Not only does this song amaze me by the fact that it's sprung from Garage Band - I have always had a chunk of prejudice towards it - This song makes me not care how it was made. The music's just beautiful, and Nomad had the eye for the arrangement.

Well...yes, that's all. Amazing score. :isidro: Craving for more, plz :3

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Hill of Swords Video Score

Griffith said:
Put this together last night inspired by your excellent score, Nomad:

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/WWH_DjrmqfQ[/flash]​

I tried to really showcase it as a score in the first half, while the second half is more like a regular music video. Since there's no footage of the hill of swords, I wanted to tell a coherent story that focused on the themes and allusions relevant to it: death, departure, downfall, snow, and of course the Hawks. This scene was basically tailor made for all that. Guts even recalls it after his encounter with Griffith on the Hill of Swords, directly comparing the two. Anyway, it's my first attempt at something like this, I hope you like it, and thanks again, Nomad!

Dived back into this after not seeing it in a few years. Newer members should really check this out. Nomad scored it, and Griffith cut this video together from the anime, masterfully telling this turning point in the series wordlessly (almost!). The way the visuals match the music's peaks and valleys is really moving.

Where's the sophomore effort, you two...? :daiba:

Wow, can’t believe it’s been over a decade since you made this. I just heard this for the first time at the end of SkullKast 115 and it hit so hard. Glad to see you’re still around here. You’re more than welcome to score Berserk any day.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I love this song. My wife and I watched that video Griff made with it using scenes from the 1997 anime last night. We both got pretty choked up.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I love this song. My wife and I watched that video Griff made with it using scenes from the 1997 anime last night. We both got pretty choked up.
Warms the heart to find out people feel this way about Hill of Swords. Thank you all for the kind words... Really ❤️.

Top Bottom