Mass Effect 3 [Spoilers]

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/10/mass-effect-3-outed-on-ea-store/

me3eastore530.jpg

EA Store description of the game said:
Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth.

There isn't much to go on so far, but a thread has got to be made sooner or later, right?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. What a crappy way to reveal this information ... an ad on a storefront page. But whatever, yay! I still don't expect this title before 2012. Though I suppose it's possible for fall 2011.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I agree with Walter on this one, but I'm still counting the days for the PS3 release of ME2. I admit I wasn't gung-ho about this tittle, so I have to admit that Aaz showed me the light. Let's hope for a fall release!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Wow. What a crappy way to reveal this information ... an ad on a storefront page.

Indeed. Continuing on their path of omnipresent crappy spoilers I guess?

Walter said:
I still don't expect this title before 2012. Though I suppose it's possible for fall 2011.

Same here. Late 2011 at the earliest.

Nomad said:
I have to admit that Aaz showed me the light.

I showed it to you all! :SK:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I certainly will, once I buy a new video card. Then I will vegetate in my room for a few days playing both of them.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I've seen some game play videos of ME2. It looked pretty sweet, especially the Vangard mode. I guess that's what it's called.

Never played either game before, though.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
hoo boy, I need to settle down... An entire year on the edge of my seat is not going to be good for my health.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Nice... VERY nice. Here's hoping for a looooooong chapter of the Mass Effect Saga. I'd be every side and class by the time the 3rd one comes out, so I'll be ready :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it was a pretty "meh" trailer until I saw the Reapers. Holy shit. Kinda awesome that the first images we see of Earth in the Mass Effect universe is of it under attack.

The location as Earth strikes me as strange for the culmination of a galactic event. But I suppose
the Reapers did take a special interest in humans after ME1

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I thought it was a pretty "meh" trailer until I saw the Reapers. Holy shit. Kinda awesome that the first images we see of Earth in the Mass Effect universe is of it under attack.

The location as Earth strikes me as strange for the culmination of a galactic event. But I suppose
the Reapers did take a special interest in humans after ME1

I'm not a big fan of the trailer itself either. I was never very interested in seeing what Earth looks like in ME; it being a distant, off-limits place added to the charm of the game and made it feel more real to me. I guess having
the Reapers attack it directly
is justified by the events that transpired in ME2, but still, ignoring the rest of the galactic forces seems a bit odd to me.

I guess it's warranted by the fact they don't want to have
another attack on the Citadel
since it would feel like a repeat of ME1, and having the home of mankind under attack is a good justification for Shepard having to rally everyone under his banner for the final battle.

Loved that trailer. Really hoping the game's not too focused on this one planet, though.

That British character was awesome. Probably a Jason Statham descendant.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Man I'm going to end up spoiling the shit out of this for my self. :judo:

Edit:
Ok so the Reapers are attacking Earth. I'd be really dissapointed if the entirety of the game takes place on Earth, hopefully there is a buildup of it leading to the invasion.

Spoiler tagging for trailers?..Well ok,
The death tally is fucking WEAK. 7 million in 7 days? I mean didn't Sovereign nearly wipe out the citadel by himself in a matter of hours? I'd imagine at least half the Earth's population in that time, assuming the reapers have other priorities than evaporating Earth.

I was pretty much under the premise that the game series entire premise was that if
reapers
ever did land, we were screwed. Now this kind of turns it into another Halo 3/finish the fight scenario. Still was a fun trailer, but somewhat lackluster in its promise.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Blues said:
Spoiler tagging for trailers?..Well ok,
We're tagging spoilers for plot elements relating to Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Like, for example,
the Reapers taking a special interest in humanity after Shepard led the attack to defeat them at the Citadel in ME1.

And yeah, I'm also a little confused about that cinematic.
Multiple reapers landing on Earth ... what are they going to do? Shoot lasers at the planet? This doesnt' seem like a very efficient extinction policy to me.
I'd say it was merely representational of the overall plot of ME3, but the narrator lists some specifics which makes me think it's a literal depiction of what will happen in-game.

Now that i can understand regarding ME2.

As far as implications, exactly my point. The specifics highly point to in-game occurrences. Somebody suggested this is a possible "bad end" scenario or Shepard will back to the future himself to give Batman preptime.

All I know is there is nothing in the franchise thus far that hints at success against such an event beyond Deus Ex Machina, which highly worries me in regards to a quality end.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Blues said:
All I know is there is nothing in the franchise thus far that hints at success against such an event beyond Deus Ex Machina, which highly worries me in regards to a quality end.
Nah, there'll be a way. They're machines. They can be reprogrammed :badbone:

I do hope this entry takes a good hard look at what/who made the reapers to begin with though, and why. It's always felt like a crucial missing piece of the lore.

I think that this 7 million dead applies only for London. The soldier first speaks about the death toll and then says that they have reports that is the same for other cities which implies that he was speaking only about London earlier.
That's my take on it anyway.

Mass Effect 3-D? Idk, I just blew some dough on a 3-D capable tv and a surround system. I played COD in 3-D and it was kind of neat. It was my first time gaming in 3-D. I was thinking Mass Effect would be pretty amazing in 3-D. I feel like another person jumping on the band wagon because I used to despise 3D. But thinking of seeing Shepard's Omni-tool all 3-D and what not, idk guys...I just dont know.

What are your thoughts? Would you like to see an optional 3-D setting?

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Proj2501 said:
Mass Effect 3-D? Idk, I just blew some dough on a 3-D capable tv and a surround system. I played COD in 3-D and it was kind of neat. It was my first time gaming in 3-D. I was thinking Mass Effect would be pretty amazing in 3-D. I feel like another person jumping on the band wagon because I used to despise 3D. But thinking of seeing Shepard's Omni-tool all 3-D and what not, idk guys...I just dont know.

At this rate, it be nice. But I'm one of the millions that agrees that the timing and propaganda won't work. If people can afford it? Cool. But it's not on "my want" list. I don't want to stray away from the topic so I'll just say I hope this isn't going to turn into play 2nd and 3rd party characters instead of Shepard. At least that's my only concern.

Lol... you just used 3-D in almost every sentence.

Anyway, 9 million dead after a week seems low, but it does kinda look like the Reapers are just arriving. Maybe there was a preliminary wave of husks and whatever.

Maybe after space traveling people don't hang around Earth so much? Either way, I doubt the Reapers are there just to murder and fuck things up, killing people is probably just a consequence of whatever reason they have for being there.

Like Walter said, the trailer's just setting the mood, so let's not take so seriously what mr. badass said.

ME2 spoilers
I'm curious if there's a possibility of having on our parties a character from the second game, since they all can die. I imagine it'd take a lot of work to insert a playable character that not all players will be able to have on their parties. But then again, that's what DLC characters are...

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I really don't think it would make sense to have the player spend such a large amount of time building up the loyalty of their crew members in 2 if they weren't all available in 3. Besides, if someone went and let their whole team die in the suicide mission, then they must've been actively trying to fail. :puck:

Top Bottom