Mass Effect 3 [Spoilers]

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Spoilers ahoy

Extended walkthrough 1
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714901

Extended walkthrough 2
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714903

And there's tons of videos from E3 on that site.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I dig the Ashley so much needed makeover :carcus:. But I'm still hoping to have a follow up with Miranda IF they even decide of bringing her in or make her a member of the future crew. As for the game itself, I can't help but stay cautious and not get too excited. The game looks amazing but somehow I still feel the possibility of a major disappointment (story wise). Therefor I will only focus on the romance follow ups :slan:.

That trailer is the last one I'll see. Knowing EA, the next ones will show footage of the final boss fight or something spoilerific like that.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Eluvei said:
That trailer is the last one I'll see. Knowing EA, the next ones will show footage of the final boss fight or something spoilerific like that.

They just released the trailer that shows the entire ending after you beat the game to 100%. That is including the achievement where you, save all of (male) Shepherds bastard children (you have to sleep with every female character in ME2 for this to happen).

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Great plan Shepard.

Heck, i'll play it even if the story premise is this

about.gif

I just want less tedious gameplay.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Check out the address to this pizza joint: http://marcos.com/stores/virginia/282-marcos-pizza-hampton-virginia-23666?view=store&sid=virginia&id=282%3Amarcos-pizza-hampton-virginia-23666

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Check out the address to this pizza joint: http://marcos.com/stores/virginia/282-marcos-pizza-hampton-virginia-23666?view=store&sid=virginia&id=282%3Amarcos-pizza-hampton-virginia-23666

This is my favorite pizzeria in the Citadel.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Mass Effect movie.... Oh boy :schierke:
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/714769/mass-effect-creators-talk-about-the-mass-effect-movie-during-comic-con-2011/

Mass Effect game creators Casey Hudson and Mark Protosevich were on hand at the Legendary Films panel during Comic-Con 2011 to talk about the upcoming Mass Effect movie. According to Casey, the true strength of the series comes from the characters. They declared that the Mass Effect universe is as strong as other sci-fi and fantasy films like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, which will help translate the game in to an epic movie. They assured the audience at the panel that their movie will be different from other video game movies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really like their haircuts... My favorites are 4 and 5, but I wish we'd been given a little more choice. I guess that's why character customization exists though.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Isn't the fact that they're inconsequentially changing her default appearance, even down to her race, kind of a slap in the face to female Shepard players? I mean, it would be cool if the default male Shepard in ME3 looked like Michael Jordan, but it wouldn't do much for continuity. Anyway, I like number one (Natalie Portman) best by far, and five second even if she looks like a murderous Courtney Love.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Isn't the fact that they're inconsequentially changing her default appearance, even down to her race, kind of a slap in the face to female Shepard players?

I think it's good Bioware is willing to put a female Shepard on the cover, and that's what strikes me here beyond the change of appearance. I'm pretty sure they don't care much about continuity because the character's face is supposed to be whatever you want it to be in the game. The official face is just for advertisement. Now personally I wouldn't have minded the older default one of course, but I'm not too bothered by the change either. I imagine they'll have the old model available as a pre-made choice anyway.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
I think it's good Bioware is willing to put a female Shepard on the cover, and that's what strikes me here beyond the change of appearance.

Oh, I didn't see that in those links, but that is nice.

Aazealh said:
I'm pretty sure they don't care much about continuity because the character's face is supposed to be whatever you want it to be in the game. The official face is just for advertisement.

Well, so was everyman Mario at first. It may be advertising, but even that's a philosophical choice that can help define the game, and the very fact that they've chosen a "face of the franchise" and it's become as iconic as it has certainly does. Other such series might purposefully advertise more generally or specifically based on customization (like Fallout), whereas Shepard's mug is now as synonymous with Mass Effect as Link's is to the Legend of Zelda. Speaking of which, and this is a personal note, people that play with custom mutant Shepard faces are as deranged as those that change Link's name to their own. Weirdos! :iva:

Aazealh said:
Now personally I wouldn't have minded the older default one of course, but I'm not too bothered by the change either. I imagine they'll have the old model available as a pre-made choice anyway.

Well, taking the above into account I guess there wouldn't be much additional cause for complaint (or it just adds insult to injury for a gender that's already a throwaway option; confirms it really =). Though, since this is all academic and about advertising anyway, I've got your new female Shepard right here! (probably NWS)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Oh, I didn't see that in those links, but that is nice.

Yeah Bioware has decided to show her some love. She's getting her own trailer and will be featured on the Collector's Edition.

Griffith said:
Well, so was everyman Mario at first. It may be advertising, but even that's a philosophical choice that can help define the game, and the very fact that they've chosen a "face of the franchise" and it's become as iconic as it has certainly does. Other such series might purposefully advertise more generally or specifically based on customization (like Fallout), whereas Shepard's mug is now as synonymous with Mass Effect as Link's is to the Legend of Zelda. Speaking of which, and this is a personal note, people that play with custom mutant Shepard faces are as deranged as those that change Link's name to their own. Weirdos! :iva:

I don't follow your Mario comment, but the point here is that the female Shepard never was a "face of the franchise" in any official extent until now. They've decided to make her one and so are redesigning her specifically for that purpose. The real star of the show when it comes to Female Shepard has always been Jennifer Hale anyway (the voice actress). And for info, Shepard's team members have also undergone a redesign, as has the male version (a slighter one obviously, akin to the slight improvements he got between pre-release, ME1, and ME2). Can't tell you more as I've been trying to avoid spoilers.

Griffith

Aazealh said:

That's pretty cool, and the article sort of explains what I meant as well...

Aazealh said:
I don't follow your Mario comment
http://gamerant.com/mass-effect-3-trailer-female-shepard-tao-91177/ said:
most gamers have come to associate the persona of Commander Shepard with his male representation.

I know they mean voice and all, and despite this new exception I meant Mass Effect is more a franchise with a strongly identifiable lead (like Mario) as opposed to one you make yourself (like KOTOR, Fallout, etc.), and I was bringing it back around to Mario being intended as an everyman to begin with as well. Basically, I feel like the facial customization has been relegated to a secondary feature due to Shepard's popularity, i.e. Mass Effect has a main character named Shepard that looks like this, but you can also do whatever you want with it, as opposed to it being emphasized the other way around. So, to me the default Shepard has become as much to Mass Effect what Mario is to his franchise or Snake is to Metal Gear, even if you have additional options (like Luigi or Raiden =).

Aazealh said:
but the point here is that the female Shepard never was a "face of the franchise" in any official extent until now. They've decided to make her one and so are redesigning her specifically for that purpose. The real star of the show when it comes to Female Shepard has always been Jennifer Hale anyway (the voice actress). And for info, Shepard's team members have also undergone a redesign, as has the male version (a slighter one obviously, akin to the slight improvements he got between pre-release, ME1, and ME2).

True, though I was talking about players that had used the default female Shepard before and therefore identified with her in the same way. If an equivalent to that original default appearance is still available, that's fine, but they might have preferred a redesigned version of her on the cover as opposed to the possibility of a wholesale change for the purposes of a publicity contest (though they can vote on it).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I know they mean voice and all, and despite this new exception I meant Mass Effect is more a franchise with a strongly identifiable lead (like Mario) as opposed to one you make yourself (like KOTOR, Fallout, etc.), and I was bringing it back around to Mario being intended as an everyman to begin with as well. Basically, I feel like the facial customization has been relegated to a secondary feature due to Shepard's popularity, i.e. Mass Effect has a main character named Shepard that looks like this, but you can also do whatever you want with it, as opposed to it being emphasized the other way around.

Ah, Ok. Sure, the default Shepard is popular, that's undeniable.

Griffith said:
True, though I was talking about players that had used the default female Shepard before and therefore identified with her in the same way. If an equivalent to that original default appearance is still available, that's fine, but they might have preferred a redesigned version of her on the cover as opposed to the possibility of a wholesale change for the purposes of a publicity contest (though they can vote on it).

Well whatever face a player has chosen will be inherited from their previous game saves anyway, whether it was the default one or not.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Ah, Ok. Sure, the default Shepard is popular, that's undeniable.

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Commander Shepard on the Citadel. :troll:

Aazealh said:
Well whatever face a player has chosen will be inherited from their previous game saves anyway, whether it was the default one or not.

Good point, though I'm sure some would also like to start a new Shepard with that face, but like you say there's no reason it won't also be included as a pre-set.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I was watching some ME3 videos from gamescom and they mentioned a few interesting things. One was that even though this trilogy is coming to an end, it isn't the end of Mass Effect. I didn't know they were continuing the series (but I guess I could see it coming). They also mention that it takes place on Earth which makes me believe that a good portion of the game will in fact take place on the home planet. I also saw a clip where Shepard is controlling a giant gun turret and firing at a Reaper :schierke: Gears of War style.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I didn't know they were continuing the series (but I guess I could see it coming).
They've said so for years. http://kotaku.com/5452971/bioware-there-will-be-more-mass-effect-after-trilogy-ends

Mass Effect 3 will complete the Shepard trilogy. Where they go from there is anyone's guess, though I've always hoped for a First Contact War game. Something tells me they won't ever cut humans out of the loop.

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8481789/1

Now our Shepard's can team up and change the actual story via galactic readiness level!

Wtf is happening to this series?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8481789/1

Now our Shepard's can team up and change the actual story via galactic readiness level!

Wtf is happening to this series?
I don't really mind. It's an optional thing, so it won't affect the integrity of the solo campaign. I've always wanted a versus type of multiplayer mode in Mass Effect. There are so many different ways to approach combat, it makes sense to develop that into a multiplayer mode. Biotics Shepard vs Soldier Shepard? That sounds like fun to me.

Griffith

Samara cosplayed by Rana McAnear, the actual model for Samara:

http://www.omega-level.net/2011/10/24/mass-effect-2-samara-cosplay-is-a-gorgeous-alien-hotness/

Sadly, whatever Mass Effect movie they eventually push on us won't be half this good.

Top Bottom