Mass Effect 3 [Spoilers]

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Samara cosplayed by Rana McAnear, the actual model for Samara:

http://www.omega-level.net/2011/10/24/mass-effect-2-samara-cosplay-is-a-gorgeous-alien-hotness/

Sadly, whatever Mass Effect movie they eventually push on us won't be half this good.

That's a cosplay? Shit that's good.

I heard the beta actually leaked on the 360 dashboard? Apparently there are three modes to play the game in. RPG mode, Story Mode and Action Mode. :schierke:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
That's a cosplay? Shit that's good.

Yeah, though when you hire the actual model for the character to wear it, the area becomes kind of grey. Definitely feels like more than a cosplay.

Oburi said:
I heard the beta actually leaked on the 360 dashboard? Apparently there are three modes to play the game in. RPG mode, Story Mode and Action Mode. :schierke:

After ME2, I'm glad they're adding back in an RPG and Story Mode! :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://kotaku.com/5876171/surprise-surprise-mass-effect-3-requires-origin-wont-launch-on-steam

During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

My Mass Effect collection on Steam just got broken. :judo:

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Me. :serpico: I'll wait to read about it before i get it.
NightCrawler said:
No time for games at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajsNJtnUb7c :mozgus:

Let me translate this into the language of mutant teleporters in case you get a moment: it's like you're eschewing Code Veronica to play Resident Evil 4 and 5. :isidro:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Three weeks? :isidro: I keep forgetting that it's already 2012. I'm pretty excited about it, though I haven't even finished Skyrim yet, so I should probably get on that first. :judo:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajsNJtnUb7c :mozgus:

Let me translate this into the language of mutant teleporters in case you get a moment: it's like you're eschewing Code Veronica to play Resident Evil 4 and 5. :isidro:

I'm not going to play ME3 if it doesn't deliver story wise. If it does, i'll take my time into ME1 before diving into the 3rd one. But if it doesn't, i'm not sure if i'll play more ME after my mistake of starting with the 2nd (i don't really know how self contained is the first one).
Nevertheless, i already have it set in my mind that these will most likely be the only big games i'll play this year.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
I'm not going to play ME3 if it doesn't deliver story wise.

That's prudent, but I don't care if you or anyone ever plays ME3 at this point, it's an unknown quantity. ME1 is known, and it's good. Pretend these games have nothing to do with each other, because in this sense they don't: my recommending a classic has nothing to do with this new game.

NightCrawler said:
If it does, i'll take my time into ME1 before diving into the 3rd one. But if it doesn't, i'm not sure if i'll play more ME after my mistake of starting with the 2nd (i don't really know how self contained is the first one).

Either way the only way to possibly rectify that is to just play ME1. Like I said above, pretend ME2 and 3 don't exist, because they have nothing to do with ME1's quality unto itself. Basing your decision to play ME1 on ME3 is just perpetuating your mistake. Continuing along the lines of my earlier metaphor; so, the probability of you playing Code Veronica depends on the quality of RE5? Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

NightCrawler said:
(i don't really know how self contained is the first one).

Well, it's the first one, and despite it's cool save transfer ability it's greatness is largely self-contained. =)

NightCrawler said:
Nevertheless, i already have it set in my mind that these will most likely be the only big games i'll play this year.

Alright, I've said my piece and I can see you're already as committed as possible. I just think it would be more intuitive and easier to forget about ME3 for now and just play ME1 (it's cheap and you can literally complete the main plot in like a day).

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
So yeah... Demo, not impressed. I don't know if it's my age or what. But I felt nothing at even some scenes that were supposed to be compelling. And the music fell very short as well. It's a rental for me.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'm so torn on this. It's fucking depressing actually. This would normally be a no brainer purchase for me but it seems like Bioware did everything they could to make me second guess the whole friggin thing.

On the one hand I don't want to play the demo because I'd rather not replay it in the game but on the other hand ... I might not even get this game right away. This sucks.

To Nightcrawler - Griffith pretty much said everything but from what you've described it really seems like the first Mass Effect is right up your alley. If the story sucks in 2 and 3 you can still appreciate how amazing the first one is. Like Griff said it's so cheap at this point just play that and wait on 3. I don't know what the hell your doing by skipping the first one anyway you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

The biggest appeal (for me) is being able to have my own custom game carry over three games. I love loading my Shepard up after not seeing him for a few years. Even if the second game was a letdown the best part was the very, very beginning when I got to go back into the world.

Grail said:
Three weeks? :isidro: I keep forgetting that it's already 2012. I'm pretty excited about it, though I haven't even finished Skyrim yet, so I should probably get on that first. :judo:

You think you're going to finish Skyrim? I finally stopped playing at 120 hours and still haven't done a lot of stuff. I put it down for now though, at least until some dlc.

The demo reassured me on the combat portion of the game. I wasn't sure how much was going to change and whether or not I'd like the changes, but it definitely works and I'm sure I'll like its improvements once I get a chance to dig into the full game.

Plot-wise, I'm 99% sure it was abbreviated to avoid spoilers or revealing too much of the story. I doubt much will be different in that first portion except maybe more dialogue options, but it seemed pretty clear they cut out significant chunks of the second mission. The demo seemed more meant to highlight the combat and multiplayer aspects than to deliver plot beyond the basics. My only real complaint is the stupid stuff with the kid that is obvious and lame tear bait. None of it changes my commitment to spending a week in virtual isolation, sitting in front of my computer, when the game is released.

Honestly, the only area I felt Mass Effect 2 stumbled was the very end of the plot.
The Human Reaper.
However, I'm sure we'll get more insight as to why
The Reapers chose humans out of all the species in the galaxy/universe to do whatever it is they were trying to do
. As far as video games stories go, it's worlds better than a slew of others.

As I was telling Aaz yesterday, I took more positive things away from Mass Effect 2 than negative ones. The DLC for it, meh. The Hovercraft wasn't needed. Kasumi was nifty though.

The demo played smooth and looked great. This is one time I don't want to jump on the bashing band wagon.

Edit: I played over 100+ of Dark Souls. Hard as balls and a practically non-existent plot. Loved it though. Mass Effect 2 wasn't great, but like Dark Souls, I was sad when I had completed everything there was to do. With both games, I enjoyed sitting on my couch and spending hours upon hours in those worlds, even if it was scoping out the environments and such. I plow through other games and, with most, when it's over I feel as though I should've known better and not wasted my time. Arkham City. :schierke: Waste of time, imo. In a perfect world, if I didn't have to work and deal with real life bullshit, I'd replay ME2 and Dark Souls, experimenting away with different classes and choices.

I've played Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age: Origins so I feel pretty optimistic that there will be interesting subplots, dialogue, and characterization. The main plots for those games were all pretty generic so I wouldn't get too hung up if it seems that way for ME3.

I didn't miss the Mako at all, but I did miss being able to randomly explore other planets. It made the Universe feel massive, intimidating, lonely, but fascinating. This song caught that feeling for me perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58b_Xbzvd8Y

I hope it returns in some form for ME3.

Is there any running and gunning in ME3 like there was in ME1 or is it the take cover/regenerate health mechanic of ME2? Shooting just felt better in ME2 but combat felt too much like Gears of Wars.

My Xbox 360 hard drive crashed, so I'm going to be replaying ME1 and ME2 at least once. It's been about a year and a half since I touched anything Mass Effect anyway. Sorry to hear about all of the Steam users who are getting strong-armed into using Origin.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Groovy Metal Fist said:
I've played Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age: Origins so I feel pretty optimistic that there will be interesting subplots, dialogue, and characterization.
If you want to keep that feeling, then I suggest you stay away from DA2. Serious distance.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
Is there any running and gunning in ME3 like there was in ME1 or is it the take cover/regenerate health mechanic of ME2? Shooting just felt better in ME2 but combat felt too much like Gears of Wars.
Judging from the demo? Gear of War :schierke:

I played the damned thing again, and I'm pretty much feeling the same way. Maybe they skipped some things in the beginning? If not,then officially they are off in a bad start. Or perhaps somebody can answer something that I could just be overlooking?
Why, oh why is Shepard still with the "boo-hoo nobody believes me" blues? The man is an ex-specter / saved and received high stands with pretty much most of the known species but somehow the man decides to loose rank and just stick around for ummmm a trial? Boom here comes the Reapers and "Oh what's this?... They came too fast!!!

I'm really hoping that this was just some demo editing that caused this, but judging Bioware I will assume thats not the case at all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
New trailer: TAKE BACK EARTH
shepard.gif

http://youtu.be/heEqAwQ5phI?hd=1

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
shepard.gif

http://youtu.be/heEqAwQ5phI?hd=1

I saw that during Walking Dead. I couldn't help but shake my head at how the reapers are shooting lasers and destroying cities. We've seen it before but man, it just seems too cheap for these ancient controllers of the galaxy. Can't get use to it.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
shepard.gif
I'm digging your emoticon.

Oburi said:
I couldn't help but shake my head at how the reapers are shooting lasers and destroying cities. We've seen it before but man, it just seems too cheap for these ancient controllers of the galaxy. Can't get use to it.
Play the demo... You'll feel the same way. :griffnotevil:

Top Bottom