Mass Effect 3 [Spoilers]

Oburi said:
I saw that during Walking Dead. I couldn't help but shake my head at how the reapers are shooting lasers and destroying cities. We've seen it before but man, it just seems too cheap for these ancient controllers of the galaxy. Can't get use to it.
I didn't really notice before playing the demo, but ME3 seems to be drawing from War of the Worlds. The reapers uncannily resemble tripods the way they're walking around and shooting the lazors.

I hope they won't take that too far though. It's been done, you can't just defeat the reapers with a virus of some kind.

The demo itself was decent I thought. Pretty unremarkable. No significant changes since ME2, and nothing new was revealed about the storyline... waiting for full version now.

Oburi

All praise Grail
IcePuck said:
I didn't really notice before playing the demo, but ME3 seems to be drawing from War of the Worlds. The reapers uncannily resemble tripods the way they're walking around and shooting the lazors.

I hope they won't take that too far though. It's been done, you can't just defeat the reapers with a virus of some
Yea but I can't imagine that was what the writers intended from the first game.

Oburi

All praise Grail
It appears that some day one DLC leaked on xbox. I wont post anymore because its a potential spoiler, and a very confusing one at that :???:

Oburi said:
It appears that some day one DLC leaked on xbox. I wont post anymore because its a potential spoiler, and a very confusing one at that :???:

Do they charge for this day 1 dlc?

Not that I'm going to buy it on day 1 since pretty much all EA games drop to $20 almost instantly. But if they do I will chew their faces off.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Groovy Metal Fist said:
Do they charge for this day 1 dlc?

Not that I'm going to buy it on day 1 since pretty much all EA games drop to $20 almost instantly. But if they do I will chew their faces off.

Either you spend an extra $20 to get the Collectors Edition, or you can buy the DLC for $10 on day 1. Now that might be mildly annoying on its own, but what really makes this interesting is what the DLC is about....

SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILERS concerning a playable character in this DLC are to follow. Do NOT read further if you don't want to know, though since it's a damned Day 1 DLC, BioWare themselves will be spoiling it for you. :azan:

Okay, the squad member you get in this DLC is
a Prothean.
Yeah, pretty big deal huh? This raises two important points. First, why is it acceptable to have that as an extra that you have to pay for, and not included in the game? That's HUGE. Conversely, the fact that it's DLC almost implies that...well, it WON'T be huge. But it should be. So either consumers who pay $60 for the standard edition of Mass Effect are missing out on an enormous development, or somehow they've managed to not make it that big a deal, and it'll be as inconsequential as Zaheed from ME2. Either way....like, what the hell BioWare?

Check out TotalBiscuit's rant on youtube about the situation. He makes some pretty valid points, though I'm not sure I can agree with his decision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM

I found out from a Kotaku article, which I will not link to because of the spoilers, that the they will in fact charge for this dlc.

:mozgus:

Zaeed dlc was released on day 1 and was free. Please don't buy this game at launch and definitely don't buy a chunk of the game that they're deliberately withholding from you. But hey we* bought the horse armor, we bought costume packs, we bought weapon packs, we bought Call of Duty: Elite, we bought Battlefield Bad Company 2: Gold edition, and we bought GoW 3 dlc on day 1, so I wouldn't blame EA and Bioware for thinking they can get away with this crap.

I hope this boycott proposed here: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/q14v7/totalbiscuitwhy_i_think_bioware_ea_has_gone_too/c3tvcjv
picks up steam.

Even if you don't want to boycott, there's just no reason to buy an EA game on day 1; they always milk you with this dlc (some good some bad) and then drop the price to $20 in a couple of months and then bundle all of the dlc into a $30 GOTY edition anyway.

*the collective gaming public, I did not buy any of that and there's a good chance most of you didn't either

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Uuumm... This is nothing new guys. Either everyone did an awesome job in forgetting Dragon Age 2? Or I happened to be the only one to notice that the first DLC upon launch day was in fact pre-release created and sold separately. Clearly not a character that would pretty much spoil much in content, but the milk fest marketing has been there. Am I glad that people are complaining about this? Off course! The more I read the shit that Bioware releases about ME3, the lesser and lesser interest I have. Because I haven't played the game I won't state anything "in stone"... But I'm inclined to believe that this game will surpass disappointment in many, many ways. Still... I hope I am in the wrong here.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Groovy Metal Fist said:
I did not follow Dragon Age 2...
Smart man. Anyways, my post wasn't directly at you, so my apologies if I gave the wrong impression. It was an indirect response to the video link posted below:

Saephon said:
Check out TotalBiscuit's rant on youtube about the situation. He makes some pretty valid points, though I'm not sure I can agree with his decision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I held off buying Dragon Age 2 after the demo left a horrible taste in my mouth. The only news about the game I heard afterwards was how many people were extremely disappointed, so I'm glad I didn't play it. I still think this situation's a bit more....blatantly uncomfortable than we're used to. See, I'm actually not against day 1 DLC because from the time a game is "finished" until it's on shelves, there are a couple months of turnaround while bugtesting, manufacturing, etc. are done. Having the development team work on extra content during that time is just fine.

But it's the nature of the content that's troublesome. Cosmetic, weapon packs, skins, or what have you? Sure, that's cool. But if it's something plot-important or a special character that's ready for release on Day 1...that doesn't sit well with me. Especially because BioWare already demonstrated the proper way to do something like that in the first Dragon Age: Have it come with any new copies of the game. When you bought a new copy of DA you got Shale, same with the Day 1 DLC packs with Mass Effect 2. You just had to purchase the game, get onto the Cerberus network, and bam! You've got extra stuff, and in a very relevant analogy, that's how you got Zaheed too. It was a way to deter used sales, and I think most people were completely fine with it.

Why they aren't doing that again boggles my mind. You're right that it isn't completely new territory though. The Warden's Keep content in the first DA was extremely irritating. Not only was it on the disc and ready to be activated, but you had the dude sitting in your camp, pestering you all the time, and then you talk to him and it becomes "Please insert 10 dollars to access this quest!". That shit needs to stop.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Even though I've completed my initial run of Mass Effect 3 I have no intention of breaking the No-Spoiler Embargo imposed by Walter.

And so I look forward to being able to discuss the game with you all in 3 weeks time.

hellrasinbrasin said:
Even though I've completed my initial run of Mass Effect 3 I have no intention of breaking the No-Spoiler Embargo imposed by Walter.

And so I look forward to being able to discuss the game with you all in 3 weeks time.

Already? Did you pay for the dlc as well?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:

I find it pretty gross that you went through the game that quickly, but ... to each their own.

hellrasinbrasin said:
Even though I've completed my initial run of Mass Effect 3...

I'm not buying it.

I had a 'dentist appointment' this morning, that's what I told the office. I made my way down to Gamestop, laid the ol' Proj2501 charm down thick and, with no reservation, secured myself a Collector's Edition ME3. :ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
hellrasinbrasin said:

Well then, was it any good? Not discussing spoilers doesn't mean we can't discuss it, otherwise the thread might as well be locked.

Groovy Metal Fist said:

Yeah, ever since I played and was disappointed by ME2, I've been hearing how ME3 was going to make up for it (maybe even pull an MGS3 and actually elevate the previous game in proper context). I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I have an alternate theory as to why: ME3 will make ME2 less disappointing by comparison. I mean, this game was a headache before it even came out, and it looks like it's only getting worse. I'm already looking back fondly at Shepard's death, the Illusive Man, the Collectors, Harbinger, the way everyone treated you like an unappreciated jerk for saving the universe... Oh, those were the days! Embracing the universal truth that it's never the same the second time around and you can't go home again. Oh wait, isn't that exactly what ME3 is trying to do? Good luck.

Proj2501 said:
I had a 'dentist appointment' this morning, that's what I told the office. I made my way down to Gamestop, laid the ol' Proj2501 charm down thick and, with no reservation, secured myself a Collector's Edition ME3. :ganishka:

Nice work. :carcus:

Griffith said:
Yeah, ever since I played and was disappointed by ME2, I've been hearing how ME3 was going to make up for it (maybe even pull an MGS3 and actually elevate the previous game in proper context). I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I have an alternate theory as to why: ME3 will make ME2 less disappointing by comparison. I mean, this game was a headache before it even came out, and it looks like it's only getting worse. I'm already looking back fondly at Shepard's death, the Illusive Man, the Collectors, Harbinger, the way everyone treated you like an unappreciated jerk for saving the universe... Oh, those were the days! Embracing the universal truth that it's never the same the second time around and you can't go home again. Oh wait, isn't that exactly what ME3 is trying to do? Good luck.

Did you not like Mass Effect 2 overall?

There are already 30 reviews out which means that EA had to have sent out copies in advance and its current metascore stands at a 94. The worst reviews give 4/5 stars. It's times like this when I feel video game 'Journalism' is more like the publicity arm of the video gaming industry. For many AAA game reviews flaws tend to get pushed off to the side or not even mentioned at all. Skyrim's horrible lack of balance carried over from Oblivion is the most glaring example. Well that and flat out not working on the PS3. How much can we trust the reviewers when they have to hammer their content out the day of release or within a week and maintain a friendly relationship with the publishers to get copies in advance?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Groovy Metal Fist said:
Did you not like Mass Effect 2 overall?
Was I not entertained? I wouldn't say that, but I was definitely disappointed (my original review here). I was hoping ME2 was going to wholly expand on the first game's excellence and fully capitalize on the potential of it as a series. Hell, if that sounds too hard, how about just a basic continuation from where you left off? The groundwork was all there, and they side-stepped it and basically made a different kind of game. So, I was pretty disappointed with ME2's streamlined approach that capitalized on the series' potential as a crossover franchise more than a story. Perhaps Mass Effect 2 is just The Adventure of Link to Mass Effect's Legend of Zelda, but is there any Zelda III in the future for this series? I'm not kidding about the ME2/3 comparison; the more time goes by and the more I hear about ME3, the more ME2 doesn't seem so bad in retrospect; so, let's see if ME3 even lives up to 2, let alone restores the luster of the original.

Walter said:
It's not journalism. It's an enthusiasts press.

Yeah, it's far too incestuous a relationship; pro game review outfits are basically a part of the industry itself, too dependent on it to be considered an objective third party (I may be wrong, but my hunch is they answer far more to the industry than the industry answers to them). It's not even analogous to film review.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I pre-loaded ME3 last Friday and it's sitting at home, ready to be played. Unfortunately, I'm at work. :sad:

I'll let you guys know what I think of it after I finish it. Despite the criticism I've been hearing (and it's legitimate, not a bunch of hating for no reason), I'm excited to play it and see how it wraps up Shepard's story.

On a side note, I have to say, I enjoyed ME2 more the second time around. Knowing what was (and wasn't) coming made me appreciate it more for what it was. It wasn't as good as ME1 (although I liked some aspects of it more), but it wasn't a bad game.

As you said, Griff, I hope it lives up to the original, and exceeds all of our expectations.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I'm not braking the spoiler hymen that has been placed :slan:.. But some of the anger I had from the demo diminished slightly due to elements that they do in fact touch bases with the first ME. However... So far it has been a point a to point b (just like Mass Effect 2). In other words, not that much of an exploration aside from the galaxy portion... So far. But again, there are elements that do touch basis with ME1 and I'll leave it at that. I'm looking forward to have a nice conversation once I finish the game (not anytime soon),

Oburi

All praise Grail
Im jealous of all you guys. My place was flooded recently and all of my shit (computer, xbox, brand new tv) was boxed up and moved out until renovations are complete, which will be a few weeks more. It was all done while I was away too so I don't know what's damaged yet (though several books, including Berserk ones have been destroyed). So normally I would have been on top of this but I wont be playing any games for a few weeks. So depressing. And if my xbox is damaged and I can't load my save ill fucking kill someone.

Poor me.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Oburi said:
Im jealous of all you guys. My place was flooded recently and all of my shit (computer, xbox, brand new tv) was boxed up and moved out until renovations are complete, which will be a few weeks more. It was all done while I was away too so I don't know what's damaged yet (though several books, including Berserk ones have been destroyed). So normally I would have been on top of this but I wont be playing any games for a few weeks. So depressing. And if my xbox is damaged and I can't load my save ill fucking kill someone.

Poor me.

Sorry about the floods. If it is of any consolation, I won't be playing it until next tuesday due to overwhelming duties ahead. I only got to a part after the events of the intro. At least you didn't loose all of it ;).

Top Bottom