Mass Effect 3 [Spoilers]

IcePuck said:
Seriously? Does that mean you should take care of all the citadel side missions and whatnot in one go, before moving on with the main storyline?

You got that right Sister Mary Clarence. :/

I got to one point in the story and many Citadel side missions were gone. :mozgus:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Proj2501 said:
You got that right Sister Mary Clarence. :/
:ganishka:

With Mass Effect you always want to do the side missions as you get them. Also... As annoying it may be to some, but you always want to make a quick spin around the Normandy after every mission or side mission. There's a lot of funny and interesting stuff if you're into the characters. Some side missions you may have to wait until the constellation is revealed. But yeah... It's pretty much like that in every ME game.

H

hellrasinbrasin

And the 1st post game DLC is slated to be coming out in April... Maybe?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
For the most part I enjoyed Infinite Mass Space Effect 3, but the original still puts it to shame.

Nomad said:
With Mass Effect you always want to do the side missions as you get them. Also... As annoying it may be to some, but you always want to make a quick spin around the Normandy after every mission or side mission.

Yeah, patrolling the Normandy is an important part of the gameplay. =) I don't remember really needing to hurry with the sidequests though, as long as you'd do them before some major plot point in the story.

Nomad said:
:ganishka:

With Mass Effect you always want to do the side missions as you get them. Also... As annoying it may be to some, but you always want to make a quick spin around the Normandy after every mission or side mission. There's a lot of funny and interesting stuff if you're into the characters. Some side missions you may have to wait until the constellation is revealed. But yeah... It's pretty much like that in every ME game.

Of course. I just had a gonzo moment loading an earlier save. Losing 3 hours worth of play. However, when I loaded up the save NO enemies were spawning. Out of shock induced persistence, I reloaded the same file 9 times and it finally seems to be working correctly. OY. 3 hours gone. Fuck. Good thing I called in sick today... :ganishka: :ganishka:

Griffith

hellrasinbrasin said:
That is true.

It's also true that some parts of 3 bring shame. The first game struck a brilliant balance between what to tell you and what to leave to your imagination. Unfortunately, intentionally making a conclusive game sort of means filling in those blanks, and so it offered some clunky pseudo-explanations for things just for the sake of having them. On the other hand, it didn't cover some basics that really could and should have been explicit by the end. Like all the ways your choices specifically affected the outcome, to put it vaguely. I have plenty specific to say about it, but I'll wait for more people to finish the game.

Griffith said:
It's also true that some parts of 3 bring shame. The first game struck a brilliant balance between what to tell you and what to leave to your imagination. Unfortunately, intentionally making a conclusive game sort of means filling in those blanks, and so it offered some clunky pseudo-explanations for things just for the sake of having them. On the other hand, it didn't cover some basics that really could and should have been explicit by the end. Like all the ways your choices specifically affected the outcome, to put it vaguely. I have plenty specific to say about it, but I'll wait for more people to finish the game.

LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Whoever thought the new version of the "journal" was an improvement must have been transferred from the Dragon Age II team.

Aaz, a friend and I just played the multiplayer for a few hours, all for the first time if I'm not mistaken. We had ourselves some pretty tense battles. All in all, I wound up really enjoying it.

Save for some mic issues in the beginning. :schierke:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I'd love me some multiplayer with you guys. Saddly... No 360 for moi. I find myself enjoying the multiplayer quite a bit. But it also counts up for the readiness, which kind of makes me want keep doing it. I wonder how long the fun factor will remain. Proj!!! get ME3 for PS3! :carcus:

Nomad said:
I'd love me some multiplayer with you guys. Saddly... No 360 for moi. I find myself enjoying the multiplayer quite a bit. But it also counts up for the readiness, which kind of makes me want keep doing it. I wonder how long the fun factor will remain. Proj!!! get ME3 for PS3! :carcus:

No way Jose. :serpico:

I think it will remain fun if you play with people who know what they're doing and don't play like morons. So, in short, play with people you know.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Saephon said:
Whoever thought the new version of the "journal" was an improvement must have been transferred from the Dragon Age II team.

Yea it totally sucks. there's no bullet points or checkmarks or anything. Very unhappy about that.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Griffith, is it better or worse than ME2. I won't accept "the same" as an answer.

Nor would I give it. I enjoyed ME3 more and I think it's better too (not always the same thing). It's basically a combination of ME1 and 2, the gameplay engine of 2, but serving the continuity of the original story. It confirms my theory that they merely delayed advancing the plot with ME2, because as far as that's concerned this game could have just as well been a direct sequel to ME1 with just a few tweaks (ME2 is now like the biggest DLC/subplot ever =). Pertaining to your situation, ME3's direct continuity with the first game is ideal because, in the context of the trilogy, playing ME1 and then 3 back to back doesn't really mess the story up (especially since you're familiar with the events of 2 anyway). So, your self-described mistake of playing ME2 before ME1 is largely neutralized to an unfortunate first impression. So, if you're concerned you already spoiled the series for yourself, don't be. ME3 essentially picks up where the first game leaves off, and where 2 diverges, giving you the opportunity to basically start the story fresh with ME1 and seamlessly continue it in ME3. My disclaimer is that you should really play Mass Effect regardless, though. It stands above its sequels as a transcendent game, and naturally much of ME3's appeal depends on its continuity with the original. So, don't make the same mistake twice; regardless of whether you play ME3, play Mass Effect, before we end up like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-MVMbm6c0k#t=4m17s

PLAY MASS EFFECT!! PLAY IT!!!!

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:
Nor would I give it. I enjoyed ME3 more and I think it's better too (not always the same thing). It's basically a combination of ME1 and 2, the gameplay engine of 2, but serving the continuity of the original story. It confirms my theory that they merely delayed advancing the plot with ME2, because as far as that's concerned this game could have just as well been a direct sequel to ME1 with just a few tweaks (ME2 is now like the biggest DLC/subplot ever =). Pertaining to your situation, ME3's direct continuity with the first game is ideal because, in the context of the trilogy, playing ME1 and then 3 back to back doesn't really mess the story up (especially since you're familiar with the events of 2 anyway). So, your self-described mistake of playing ME2 before ME1 is largely neutralized to an unfortunate first impression. So, if you're concerned you already spoiled the series for yourself, don't be. ME3 essentially picks up where the first game leaves off, and where 2 diverges, giving you the opportunity to basically start the story fresh with ME1 and seamlessly continue it in ME3. My disclaimer is that you should really play Mass Effect regardless, though. It stands above its sequels as a transcendent game, and naturally much of ME3's appeal depends on its continuity with the original. So, don't make the same mistake twice; regardless of whether you play ME3, play Mass Effect, before we end up like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-MVMbm6c0k#t=4m17s

PLAY MASS EFFECT!! PLAY IT!!!!

Inspiring post man :) Thanks.
Already got my friend to lend me ME1 for two weeks. I'll start ME3 after that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm really enjoying ME3 so far. I'm about 10 hours in, and I really must say... the $10 same-day DLC is fantastic. The mission itself is a worthless pile of garbage, but the character you get from it, and what they have to say about the universe is fascinating and well worth the $10. It absolutely should have been included in the main game. $10 is blackmail, considering the importance of the relevance of the content.

As for ME2 being a worthless chapter in the franchise, I agree to a certain extent. There are several character interactions you'd miss if you'd skipped over ME2. However I can't imagine anyone playing ME2 and then ME3. ME1 is far more relevant to ME3.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
and what they have to say about the universe is fascinating and well worth the $10.
Agreed to the max. It comes as a surprise really, nor was I expecting that little fact about the character. Mind you, that the more you think about the race, the more logical this new observation makes sense.

I agree with the ME2 comments for the most part. In fact, I'd say that the best moments in ME2 were elemets from ME1 characters. However, I came across a slight moment where I didn't realize how attatched I've been of some ME2 characters as well. And the Cerberus element that ME2 brought to the story, I find it ok as a sub-plot.

Even if ME2 doesn't really move the plot forward, it's still a kick-ass standalone adventure. I love a game where I can get lost in the dialogue for hours. The pseudo-science is great, I love the way it approached politics and race, I love the side quests, and I love the overall look of the game. The combat isn't particularly innovative but I was by no means bored. Shooting and dodging rocket launcher wielding vorcha is a blast. It's considerably longer than ME1 and a lot of fun.

I think you all should have held off on buying ME3; vital day 1 dlc is now going to be a permanent revenue source for EA.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
I think you all should have held off on buying ME3; vital day 1 dlc is now going to be a permanent revenue source for EA.
*Shrug* There aren't any other EA games that I care enough about to get on launch day. Mass Effect is pretty much it for me.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Just bought Mass Effect this past weekend (Pretty nice game!) for 10 bucks! So I hope all the "issues" with ME3 are resolved by the time I get to it! :ganishka:

H

hellrasinbrasin

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Just bought Mass Effect this past weekend (Pretty nice game!) for 10 bucks! So I hope all the "issues" with ME3 are resolved by the time I get to it! :ganishka:

Either EA will resolve that issue or a Court of Law will as a Lawsuit has been filed against the company and Bioware.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
Either EA will resolve that issue or a Court of Law will as a Lawsuit has been filed against the company and Bioware.
Why are those the only outcomes possible?

Top Bottom