Mass Effect 3 [Spoilers]

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Out of protest for what?

As my father sarcastically quipped when I informed him of the Origin non-controversary, "Gamers must be most principled people on Earth."

hellrasinbrasin said:
Either EA will resolve that issue or a Court of Law will as a Lawsuit has been filed against the company and Bioware.
Walter said:
Why are those the only outcomes possible?

Yeah, the real outcome is that this joke of a "lawsuit," which is actually just a frivolous FTC complaint, is going nowhere except into the annals of embarrassing gamer history. Mass Effect 3 seems to be having that effect on some of gaming's true über losers.

Aazealh said:
Out of protest for what?

Disagreement over the way they handled the DLC and endings. Just not what I had expected of the series, in terms of quality and care for the fanbase. I will probably play it somewhere down the line, but as of right now, they lost me.

Griffith

PeachPaper said:
Disagreement over the way they handled the DLC and endings. Just not what I had expected of the series, in terms of quality and care for the fanbase. I will probably play it somewhere down the line, but as of right now, they lost me.

The DLC stuff is one thing, but it's kind of hard to take you seriously as a judge of quality when you express your personal disappointment in the experience of a game you haven't played. And if you spoiled yourself on it without playing, you're not much of a fan to care for. Bioware's given their fans far too much access and influence as it is, at the peril of creative integrity, and now they're really feeling the effects of it.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:
The DLC stuff is one thing, but it's kind of hard to take you seriously as a judge of quality when you express your personal disappointment in the experience of the game you haven't played. And if you spoiled yourself on it without playing, you're not much of a fan to care for. Bioware's given their fans far too much access and influence as it is, at the peril of creative integrity, and now they're really feeling the effects of it.
I don't know if this thread should be the right place to post this, but because of this protest about this ending in itself without reading or trying to avoid, it's annoyingly pretty much telling me what the ending is going to be. Granted I am sure that the big majority of these "fans" are pretty much done with it... But there are some of us that are fans that don't have the luxury to finish the game in a matter of a day or 2.

About the DLC's, it's a very contradicting thing for us to complaint at this point. Capcom is the master when it comes to this topic, and I see nobody making it such a big deal with them. Just recently, their new tittle game Street Fighter X Tekken was discovered that there are 12 new characters that weren't in the roster. Some dude breaks the code and posts how to do it for the Xbox 360 and mayhem started (pretty funny IMO). So now Capcom admits that they were in storage for a 20.00 DLC. This whole DLC ordeal is a joke, I never agreed to it from the beginning, but it's there and it's not going to stop.

Griffith

Nomad said:
I don't know if this thread should be the right place to post this, but because of this protest about this ending in itself without reading or trying to avoid, it's annoyingly pretty much telling me what the ending is going to be. Granted I am sure that the big majority of these "fans" are pretty much done with it... But there are some of us that are fans that don't have the luxury to finish the game in a matter of a day or 2.

Fuck it, we can move it later. Anyway, unless you've read specific details it's not anything you'd guess because all the outrage is almost completely arbitrary and manufactured (it's like conservative outrage over Alien Side Boob). At this point you'll be disappointed because it's not as bad as the hype promised. =) It's unfortunate because it's a vocal minority taking what should amount to some fair complaints and nitpicking and turning it into a hysterical meme/trend with the mindless denizens of the Internet piling on the bandwagon: WORST! ENDING! EVER! HURRRRR!! It's these people that are basically sounding a sour note to end on, not Mass Effect 3. As far as the Bioware is concerned, they should be happy it can even be called controversial. It's better than nobody caring or just giving them an attaboy, but I wish they would embrace that attitude, stop apologizing, and tell these people to fuck off.

Speaking of which, there's an issue bigger than ME3 brewing here about artistic integrity and the line between creating something and consuming it. In the case of ME, the line is being totally blurred because of Bioware's fan friendly behavior and it needs to stop. When people are "suing" over a game plot, the problem isn't the plot, it's the people. You don't get to mob the stage and change the play because you didn't like the third act. This is one case where George Lucas has always had it right, and I don't even think Star Wars fans have crossed the line to the point of demanding a rewrite (it's always been the opposite problem =). I mean, can you imagine if Miura actually engaged with the idiot critics of Berserk online, and LISTENED TO THEM!? Madness. When fanfics start becoming canon, the snake is eating itself.

Nomad said:
This whole DLC ordeal is a joke, I never agreed to it from the beginning, but it's there and it's not going to stop.

Yeah, I've never supported it either, it was potentially a nice idea but with some pitfalls, and we're way past that to the point that it's lost most organic purpose and has just become a built-in scam. Though, it's also why Bioware will be happy to produce as much extra content as people want, "WE DEMAND TO PAY MORE MONEY FOR OUR UNSATISFACTORY EXPERIENCE!" :ganishka:

Griffith said:
The DLC stuff is one thing, but it's kind of hard to take you seriously as a judge of quality when you express your personal disappointment in the experience of a game you haven't played. And if you spoiled yourself on it without playing, you're not much of a fan to care for. Bioware's given their fans far too much access and influence as it is, at the peril of creative integrity, and now they're really feeling the effects of it.

I don't think that is a really fare statement to make, criticizing my reasoning for not wanting to play a game. I feel let down by a game that I genuinely looked forward to. That's really all there is to it.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
PeachPaper said:
I feel let down by a game that I genuinely looked forward to. That's really all there is to it.
I hate to say this, but since you claim that Griffith makes an unfair statement. Don't you think that not liking an ending to a game in which you haven't played is a bit unfair?

Nomad said:
I hate to say this, but since you claim that Griffith makes an unfair statement. Don't you think that not liking an ending to a game in which you haven't played is a bit unfair?

I can see that. But it isn't the game itself that I am saying is bad. The way it was handled and the fact that it seems as though they didn't really do as good of a job as the other two. One of the writers is known to be one of the worst authors,
the Tali photo was a joke
, and I am not impressed by how they try to make Earth a central focus of a series that has been predominately about humans integrating with the other species in the universe.

I hear that they game itself is really fun, but when places like Amazon are offering partial to full refunds for people who purchased the game, something went wrong.

Griffith

PeachPaper said:
I don't think that is a really fare statement to make, criticizing my reasoning for not wanting to play a game. I feel let down by a game that I genuinely looked forward to. That's really all there is to it.

paragon.gif

There's not even that much to it because you haven't met the minimum threshold of participation in the experience to be let down by it. I'm not criticizing your reasoning, because the reasoning your using is not your own, you got it somewhere and adopted it second hand. I'm not even criticizing the reasoning itself, people should hold the game to a high standard and be critical. I am however criticizing your relative lack of information and reasoning for making these kinds of authoritative statements. If you don't want to play it, that's fine, but don't confuse that with saying the game itself let you down somehow. That's like saying you were really let down by the party you didn't go to, or a song you haven't heard. It hasn't let you down because you didn't even give it the chance.

PeachPaper said:
I can see that. But it isn't the game itself that I am saying is bad. The way it was handled and the fact that it seems as though they didn't really do as good of a job as the other two. One of the writers is known to be one of the worst authors,
the Tali photo was a joke,

renegade.gif

You're not saying anything meaningful about the game either way though, you're regurgitating sentiments you've heard elsewhere. I mean, one of the worst authors? Like, of all time, or just in this generation? Did you hear that from the same place where you learned what to think about the game before you played it? Those are strictly rhetorical questions, I'm really not interested in any more circumstantial conjecture, hearsay, or BS in lieu of actual first hand knowledge. Also, watch the spoilers, please.

PeachPaper said:
I am not impressed by how they try to make Earth a central focus of a series that has been predominately about humans integrating with the other species in the universe.

That sounds like a fair point for argument, but I can't argue it with you because you don't really know the extent to which those themes are incorporated or how they relate. You sound like someone trying to give a book report that hasn't read the book.

PeachPaper said:
I hear that they game itself is really fun, but when places like Amazon are offering partial to full refunds for people who purchased the game, something went wrong.

Yes, in your own words, when people are returning a really fun game, something went wrong. Take a step back and think about that for a moment. Where does it seem like the wrong lies? Probably with the people acting this irrationally about a video game. Just look at yourself, you haven't even played it and you're badmouthing it like an authority on its failure, as if you had really played it and it "let you down." I'm sure you're not the only one, some of whom might have even influenced you. Meanwhile, the reality is you're denying yourself the opportunity to experience for yourself a fun game in a series you're obviously a fan of for no reason other than you got swept up in popular sentiment. Something went wrong. It's herd mentality, it's fumbling in ignorance, it's...

meindoctrinated.jpg

:isidro:

Finished! Game was awesome, much better than I feared and better than I expected. The main questline was thoroughly entertaining, as were the sidequests where you actually got to do something. The minor sidequests (scanning planets for trinkets)... ugh. It's an aspect they struggled through the whole trilogy, too bad it went from bad to worse. (Mako => scanning => errand scanning)

Anyway, I very much recommend this game/trilogy for everyone. Also, it took me most of the game, but I finally managed to reunite with my space hamster before the end. :carcus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I just read an update on facebook that said they are in fact releasing new content to make a new ending.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I just read an update on facebook that said they are in fact releasing new content to make a new ending.
Yes, story has been up since this morning here: http://kotaku.com/5895215/bioware-is-working-on-a-modified-mass-effect-3-ending

It's a sad day for video games.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
Yes, story has been up since this morning here: http://kotaku.com/5895215/bioware-is-working-on-a-modified-mass-effect-3-ending

It's a sad day for video games.
Is it sad for you because bioware is making/altering the ending of ME3 because of the complaints? If so, I dont agree... I think its a good thing... Can we talk about endings and stuff here if we /spoiler it? :???:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Is it sad for you because bioware is making/altering the ending of ME3 because of the complaints? If so, I dont agree... I think its a good thing...
Companies shouldn't bow to the will of complainers. Fans should not be given authoritative control over a video game plot.

Can we talk about endings and stuff here if we /spoiler it? :???:
No.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:
Companies shouldn't bow to the will of complainers. Fans should not be given authoritative control over a video game plot.
I suppose it would depend on the complaint... as for what they are complaining about. I agree. I have only played ME for about 4 hours and I think its a great game.. a game so great that I am wondering why I waited 5 years to play it. So with that, I understand how the fans that have been with the game since it started feel. I guess I can just say that considering whats going on. :serpico:

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Count me in as a "complainer", as I've thought long and hard about the game ever since I finished it. However, I do not petition Bioware to change anything. Do I want more answers? Yes. But this is the game they intended to make and they have the right to maintain that artistic control; and I as a consumer have the right to be unhappy with it. It should pretty much end at that.

All I ever wanted to know about ME3 was if EA's March deadline was to blame for anything (I'm sure at least a couple things were affected.)
In any case, people on both sides are exaggerating. Mass Effect 3 is absolutely brilliant for about 99% of the game. I'm glad I bought it.

P.S. All they had to do was tighten the Mako controls a little, and add a little more variation to the planets. ME1's exploration was nearly perfect :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
Count me in as a "complainer"
Everyone who purchased the game has a right to complain. But some fans are crossing the line with their sense of entitlement that they actually should have authoritative control over the series, just because they're emotionally invested in it. It's not their story to tell.

P.S. All they had to do was tighten the Mako controls a little, and add a little more variation to the planets. ME1's exploration was nearly perfect :judo:
Agreed. I really enjoyed the Mako sections. Even though they were clunky, the pros outweighed the cons to me. The sense of exploration in that stuff was so much more satisfying than what it became (probes).

Griffith

Saephon said:
Count me in as a "complainer", as I've thought long and hard about the game ever since I finished it. However, I do not petition Bioware to change anything. Do I want more answers? Yes. But this is the game they intended to make and they have the right to maintain that artistic control; and I as a consumer have the right to be unhappy with it. It should pretty much end at that.

I'm with you, there's plenty to critique, so I don't have a problem with complaining. I do have a problem with the extent of it and the ugly tone it's taken on, which has gone beyond all reason and blown the whole thing out of proportion. The backlash has transcended anything that could possibly have to do with the ending of a video game and has just become an incredible example of dumb people acting out on the Internet over nothing (most of it's not even on the mark). It's really a bummer it had to end this way, but hey, "Controversial!" Print it on the box for the Game of the Year edition, BioWare. :ganishka:

That said, I also don't have a problem with BioWare cleverly adding more content, information, and nuance. Call it Mass Effect: The LAST Game Exhibition.
SK.gif

H

hellrasinbrasin

The problem without going into specifics surrounding The End to Mass Effect 3 as no one here can until April is that EA and Bioware advertised the game as being x only for players to find out it was xy.

Griffith

hellrasinbrasin said:
The problem without going into specifics surrounding The End to Mass Effect 3 as no one here can until April is that EA and Bioware advertised the game as being x only for players to find out it was xy.

That's not the problem I have with it, and I don't buy that justification for a few reasons. For one, it doesn't come close to excusing the vitriol of the overreaction. If anything, it only goes to show that BioWare shouldn't have gotten so cozy with their "fanatics" in the first place. Secondly, external interviews and advertising or whatever have nothing to do with the quality of the game itself, which should be criticized on its own merits. Finally, it technically does fit what they said. It's more "x" than any of the other games in the series, both the conclusion and leading up to it, but in a way that's still consistent with the nature and function of the rest of the series' finales. People expecting something wholly different from that have been paying too much attention to message boards and not the games themselves.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Which is why I can't jump in and spell anything out as it relates to the end of the game because the embargo is still good until April. I understand what you're saying
Griffith as I understand the complaints from the other side of the table. No matter how you spin it no one will be completely happy with Mass Effect 3.

Top Bottom