The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Imagine it friends. Fus roh da jokes as far as the eye can see! :troll:
I used to laugh at jokes like those... then I took an arrow in the knee

Aazealh said:
It's also considerably harder if you play it with your feet instead of your hands. So yes, if you contort yourself to make it hard to play, it can be (like every other game out there). But it's artificial.

It's a little bit artificial, but if it makes the game more fun, why not play it like that? It's not too bad in Skyrim, ie. you don't have to play the game in any drastically limited way to keep it challenging.

Death May Die said:
I went quickly to sneaking with a bow/knife getting 30X damage. It was damn near the only way to go. Using Magic? Forget it! :magni:

Yep, destruction magic is pretty worthless at higher levels/difficulty. I'm actually a bit disappointed in the Skyrim modding community, in that I haven't seen any "spell backstab" mods or other cool stuff like that, that I would have expected to surface by now. :guts: (A lot of mods that add a hundred new spells or something though, but I'm not really interested in that stuff)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IcePuck said:
It's a little bit artificial, but if it makes the game more fun, why not play it like that? It's not too bad in Skyrim, ie. you don't have to play the game in any drastically limited way to keep it challenging.

I just don't feel like going out of my way to make it more "challenging", and I think the fun of the game lies more in its scope and sandbox aspect anyway. That being said, I'm not the type to spend the whole game peppering enemies from afar. I run at them and either impale or decapitate them. That's fun enough for me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I just don't feel like going out of my way to make it more "challenging", and I think the fun of the game lies more in its scope and sandbox aspect anyway. That being said, I'm not the type to spend the whole game peppering enemies from afar. I run at them and either impale or decapitate them. That's fun enough for me.
I don't generally play ranged-type characters. The kinds I usually pick are melee, up-close and personal. But I found archery so fun in Skyrim that that's how I primarily played the game. It's very satisfying, though admittedly makes the game ridiculously easy...

One mod I consider essential to enjoying Skyrim combat is Duel: Combat Realism: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2700&navtag=file/images.php?id=2700&tab=3 along with the expansion http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6446&navtag=file/images.php?id=6446&tab=3

If you find fights boring (not necessarily 'too easy') with vanilla Skyrim, I seriously recommend checking that mod out. It'll really change your game.

After getting the Special Edition for cheap on PC I tried out the Beyond Skyrim: Bruma mod. It has its goods and bads.

There were a few things that bothered me such as their use of landscape and recycled animal/creature models, but they are AFAIK amateur modders so I won't be too hard on them. They put in more work than just about all modders, what, with taking on the task of building all of Tamriel. The city of Bruma was well done, I enjoyed its keeping up with current events and having 'first visit' scenes. The banners on display for the Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild are beautiful.

I absolutely loved Underpall Cave; its design was more functional than its TESIV version, and was dark, contained crammed and narrow walkways (major plus), and had a very cool little spot deep down.

And I appreciated the difficulty of one of the bandit hideouts. If you weren't prepared, you would get stomped. Difficulty and effort is something I always gladly accept.

ALSO. Not sure if this will tickle anyone's fancy, but there's an interview with the creator of the Elder Scrolls series, Julian Lefay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGLGi5RK8V8. My favorite things were when he briefly touched on the state of Bethesda at the time of Daggerfall's and Morrowind's production. If he would have never left, TESIII would have been just as massive as TESII: Daggerfall, and that trend would have likely continued to today's current games. What an interesting thing to contemplate.

ThePiedPiper said:
If he would have never left, TESIII would have been just as massive as TESII: Daggerfall, and that trend would have likely continued to today's current games. What an interesting thing to contemplate.

Considering how the landscape of Daggerfall is mostly empty space, all the cities and villages are interchangeable, and you pretty much have to fast travel to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time, that really wouldn't have been much of an accomplishment. Anyone can make a ginormous game world, hell, we've already gotten a couple of whole game galaxies with Spore and No Man's Sky, but making it worth seeing and exploring is a whole other mess entirely. And as the current glut of open world games shows, huge worlds aren't really all that.

Cyrus Jong said:
Considering how the landscape of Daggerfall is mostly empty space, all the cities and villages are interchangeable, and you pretty much have to fast travel to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time, that really wouldn't have been much of an accomplishment. Anyone can make a ginormous game world, hell, we've already gotten a couple of whole game galaxies with Spore and No Man's Sky, but making it worth seeing and exploring is a whole other mess entirely. And as the current glut of open world games shows, huge worlds aren't really all that.

It's definitely a double-edged sword. Having a game with millions of hours worth of content probably only translates into 100-150 hours worth of original content, though that's a crude estimate. And of course some people like the game enough to stretch their playthroughs out a lot and play far beyond the point in which most would accumulate fatigue. For the flak TESV (and Fallout 4) gets for radiant quests, TESII was built upon radiant quests. And there were a lot of things about the size of the world that just didn't really work: you could join the Mage's Guild in Sentinel and be asked to retrieve an item from the Wrothgar Mountains (this actually happened). I don't think I need to tell you how ridiculous that is. By the time you make the trip and come back, the quest-giver could have gotten married, had kids, and died of old age (kidding, but the journey would be veeery long).

For its time, TESII did a lot of great things, and had some of the series' greatest features. I'm pretty biased when it comes to the series, so if we had a modern version of TESII (in a different province), I'd love to play it. I never really get bored of the world, the lore, or the freedom to go and do as you please. Take away those three things and I couldn't justify playing any of the games, because the combat system and other mechanics are pretty flawed.

Been playing the VR version of the game and it's great! Once you get used to it,itreally breathes life back into the game. It's also out of the VR games I own on the PS4, the best one that lives up to the VR gimmick. You are in the game. You're standing eye level with the characters. The characters are truly round, as if you could reach out and grab around them. The depth of field is fantastic. Though VR in general is sensory overload after a few hours. Fatigue will set in. Skyrim doesn't really cause motion sickness, but a lot of other games do. Sadly another way they try to avoid this in some games is move your character in degrees. So rather than just seamlessly turning left or right, it's like a shutter effect, or instant turning from anywhere from 30 to 180 degrees. Most games you can turn this feature on and off but having it on really takes you out of the experience. The best way is what Skyrim does and that's do a weird blur or fade effect when you move. The very edges of your sight will kinda go into tunnel vision. Once you stop moving, it removes itself and starts up as you start moving again. You can also turn this off and on and adjust it. So far I would like to say, Skyrim VR is great. The Spiders are huge in VR, just the little ones are waist high on you. If the graphics were modern it would be terrifying!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Been playing the VR version of the game and it's great! Once you get used to it,itreally breathes life back into the game. It's also out of the VR games I own on the PS4, the best one that lives up to the VR gimmick. You are in the game. You're standing eye level with the characters. The characters are truly round, as if you could reach out and grab around them. The depth of field is fantastic. Though VR in general is sensory overload after a few hours. Fatigue will set in. Skyrim doesn't really cause motion sickness, but a lot of other games do.

Keep in mind the PS4 and PSVR's limited capabilities are a big reason why the experience can be subpar (along with poor game design). That's why I stick to the PC for VR games. You should give Moss a try though. It seems really great.

Skyrim is the only game in which one playthrough was 180+ hours long for me. I was very near to get platinum trophy on PS3 ( 84% ) and I wasn't even interested in those trophies. Then accidentally I've deleted my first character with over 180 hours on it, very high level and a lot of map discovered, lot of quests done, lot of items collected, lot of skills at very high levels :mozgus:ON my second character I was playing for only 30-40 hours. Currently I have PS4 version with 30 hours already invested. Honestly for me it's one of the best games I've ever played and my first one from The Elder Scrolls series, ambience of the world and music is amazing, gameplay wise I was much more interested in doing a lot of quests and forging weapons and armors than the combat system itself - it wasn't the most satisfying thing, however archery is still pretty good but for a fan of melee combat like me it's not enough. 9/10 - would play it again, on any platform, in any place, at any given time.

Top Bottom