AOW - Skull Knight [Backlighting]

Aphasia said:
I doubt most people here are buying AOW statues for their resell value.
I posted a few pictures of my 1/6 Guts that I received. Your box size will vary depending on the size of the statue, but it's not really a downside. Throw that sucker up in the attic. You'll usually find photos of an unboxing in various AOW threads. I'd look there too.

http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=11864.75

You've kinda gotta look at AOW products like purchasing a lithograph print. It's expensive, usually in limited edition and low run but quite different in terms of quality when it comes to anything else on the market. I wish they would cut their prices in half though, they'd probably sell twice as many statues. :guts:

and that's the thing....they COULD cut their prices, but keep feeding us lines about cost of labor, materials, the strength of the yen, etc. We can see companies both big and small offering larger statues at lower prices. Yes, AoW does a great job with packaging, QC and paint applications (and sometimes, great sculptures), but their prices go way beyond that, even with the small edition sizes. Before they dropped to these low hundred editions, their prices were still getting way too high.

I know a lot of you guys here are more Japan going-ons savvy, but as far as I can tell, the Japanese yen had a pretty great 2010. I don't see the weakness here. It definitely beat the hell out of the US dollar. My 62000 yen in 2007 was roughly $500 and today it would cost me like $750. Our dollar dove and the yen soared. I've read it was actually a 15-year high for the yen. Not sure the legitimacy of it having only taken a glance online, but I wouldn't be surprised.

This statue really is great. Just look at those pictures. $1000 give or take plus s/h great? Hell no

The Darth Maul statue I'm getting is the new one released in March where he has cybernetic legs from the visionary comic. I do understand the quality difference between Art of War and other companies. I can look over right now at my 20th Guts repaint, and my Darth Talon and see the difference. The issue for me is that the Sideshow is still a nice statue and a lot cheaper than the new Skull Knight. It is a money issue for me, I can justify my spending of the $350 for a Sideshow once in a while, where now I really can't justify spending over $1000 on a Art of War. I have nothing against any one that can, congratulations to them, they are getting a quality product. With that money I can get an apartment, or go back to Vermont and get the rest of my AOW collection. It is just about my priorities.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bruhaha69 said:
I know a lot of you guys here are more Japan going-ons savvy, but as far as I can tell, the Japanese yen had a pretty great 2010. I don't see the weakness here. It definitely beat the hell out of the US dollar. My 62000 yen in 2007 was roughly $500 and today it would cost me like $750. Our dollar dove and the yen soared. I've read it was actually a 15-year high for the yen. Not sure the legitimacy of it having only taken a glance online, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah, the yen's been very high. The excuse it provides AOW is that 62,000円 were worth less dollars (or euros) a few years ago than they do now. What it doesn't account for is the price change from 62,000円 to 90,000円.

How are shipping charges processed when you buy these statues? It says on their site that shipping charges are announced closer to the ship date. So do they send you a new invoice closer to the ship date for shipping fees that you pay separately or just an automatic charge? They want me to pay now for the preorder.. that would make 2 invoices.

Am I the only person considering this buy?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
How are shipping charges processed when you buy these statues? It says on their site that shipping charges are announced closer to the ship date. So do they send you a new invoice closer to the ship date for shipping fees that you pay separately or just an automatic charge? They want me to pay now for the preorder.. that would make 2 invoices.

When it's ready to ship you'll get another invoice with the full price minus your preorder. Be warned that the shipping fees are sizable.

frankencowx said:

Am I the only person considering this buy?

Shipping is about 195$,please dont believe their "not yet determined" bull shit :mozgus: about shipping charge, they just dont want to scare u away before u pay ur premium.

And they are sellin the statue on ebay, 1160+195$=1355$ for this holy mother.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Berserk-Statue-Skull-Knight-2011-Ver-/370477468380?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56422d8adc

Aazealh said:
Yeah, the yen's been very high. The excuse it provides AOW is that 62,000円 were worth less dollars (or euros) a few years ago than they do now. What it doesn't account for is the price change from 62,000円 to 90,000円.

Thanks for the info. Pretty massive yen increase for a statue that didn't require any real extra sculpting (aside from the base). Absurd prices

Your camera angles look really good, thanks for sharing A_B! I don't own an SK On Horse statue yet, so my next question is pretty basic - I'm guessing there's some assembly needed here (if so, is it super hard?) or is it like Zodd Senma where none was needed?

EDIT:

The use of the color purple for the armor looks less than what's seen on the website or pictures on the pre-order email. What version do you guys prefer?

IncantatioN said:
Your camera angles look really good, thanks for sharing A_B! I don't own an SK On Horse statue yet, so my next question is pretty basic - I'm guessing there's some assembly needed here (if so, is it super hard?) or is it like Zodd Senma where none was needed?

EDIT:

The use of the color purple for the armor looks less than what's seen on the website or pictures on the pre-order email. What version do you guys prefer?

Yes definitely less purple :(

latest020.jpg

latest018.jpg

latest016.jpg

latest015.jpg

latest013.jpg

IncantatioN said:

EDIT:

In the box you have the skull, the base and the sword, very easy to assemble. Yes the production statue is less purple...and i prefer that !!

EXCELLENT angles and you can see the detail very clearly thanks to your camera and photography skills :femto:. The cape, the sword, the horse looks really good.

Quick question - the second bigger spike (left side) has a mark at the base of the spike, did the statue come to you that way?

Top Bottom