Painting some Berserk on my wall!

turkitage

ターク
Hey everyone,

I've been living by myself (with a cat) in my house for about 6 years now. I have this crazy tall chimney/wall that's connected to my fireplace. My dad painted the bottom of it and glued some decor on it as art. I like it, but he never got around to painting the other two tiles. Recently, I have been redoing my living room so pretty much all the furniture in the pictures below have been replaced. Well, here are the pictures first before I start explaining:

5308955460_5cf7082eec_z.jpg

5308955812_59b6380568_z.jpg
5308370053_1eb9f649c6_z.jpg
5308956706_23427ce3ae_z.jpg

So that's my living room and those are the tiles. I was thinking of getting him (or just myself) to paint the middle tile with clouds then something for the top tile and be done with it. Than I was thinking well maybe the top tile I could paint a big eclipse. I feel if I did that than it wouldn't be TOO over the top as I would still like to have a somewhat classy house that isn't anime/manga infested (I've removed all my wall scrolls etc). I feel if I were to leave the bottom tile the way it is and than a big eclipse on the top tile it'll be a subtle tribute to Berserk. But I recently decided to just go for it and do it all the way. My new layout in the living room is mainly Black/brown and red so naturally I thought the 5 god hands in the eclipse scene would be a perfect fit! Plus, I could get away with my limited painting skills as I could do more of an abstract hand with a huge black circle for an eclipse on the top tile. Well, here is a a quick (rough) photoshop example below:

5308957096_70cc540992_z.jpg

I'm using the manga as reference of course but also this card from one of the figures I got that should be helpful as the hand on the middle tile is going to be closer to this picture.

5308955032_2785f39e14_z.jpg

So in order to make it not so scary and as tasteful as I can in my living room.. I'm not going to have all the screaming dead people on the picture. Instead, it'll be blends of red to make up the hand. Again, this is for my living room that I plan to keep there for a while. The red is going to be pretty dark and I'll probably blend different color reds with a little shadow to make hand stick out of the red background. I'll have to figure out something more to do on the bottom tile as oppose to just a bunch of red mess. But again, limited painting skills and kinda going for a little abstract. Well, I think this will be pretty cool when done. What do you guys think? Angle the hand to the left or right? Make the eclipse smaller? Paint something else? Forget the whole thing and cry in a lonely corner?? Let me know! I'll be posting a few actual paintings (small scale) for example before I decide to do it on the big tiles.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Haha that would look pretty bad ass but I wonder if it would hamper any happy lady time if you brought over a female compatriot. :carcus:

:carcus: - Care for a glass of wine?
:magni: - Sur... oh god whats on your wall?!

It's a pretty good idea, but I'll need to see at least a dozen paintings of yours before I give my opinion. Give us something better than the Photoshop example, at least. Spend some 10 hours making a sketch on Photoshop or something.

turkitage

ターク
Thanks guys. looking forward to posting more pics/examples.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Haha that would look pretty bad ass but I wonder if it would hamper any happy lady time if you brought over a female compatriot. :carcus:

:carcus: - Care for a glass of wine?
:magni: - Sur... oh god whats on your wall?!

lol. yeah, that's what i'm trying not to go for. I figure if it's just a hand with a big eclipse at the top it could pass as some kinda abstract art thing to people. I don't know if i'll even tell.. the ladies.. it's based off a manga.

Aazealh said:
Cool project, but you'll need some decent painting skills to make it look good.

Agreed. I kinda want to do this myself.. but thinking about it more probably not... going to ask my dad for help to see if I can even paint something basic. If not than my original plan is I was going to have him do it. He likes to paint as a hobby and I think pretty good at it. These are his paintings for reference (I think his artistic work is amazing, but that's just me.. and he's my dad after all!)

Eluvei said:
It's a pretty good idea, but I'll need to see at least a dozen paintings of yours before I give my opinion. Give us something better than the Photoshop example, at least. Spend some 10 hours making a sketch on Photoshop or something.

Yeah, no doubt. I just rushed that photoshop just to get any feedback. Going to have a pretty detailed photoshop one soon and a possible small scale before I get him to paint it on there. That way I can get any last minute critiques/suggestions.

IncantatioN said:
Go for it :guts: ... and maybe you could have the top most painting of SK on his horse crashing in on the God Hand's party!

Thanks! You know that isn't a bad idea. The top and middle will have a lot of stuff. But maybe I can have a silhouette of SK at the bottom looking up because that is pretty much going to be just red paint and boring down there. Dad can't really paint in straight up pictures, but he can definitely paint that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Turkitage said:
Agreed. I kinda want to do this myself.. but thinking about it more probably not... going to ask my dad for help to see if I can even paint something basic. If not than my original plan is I was going to have him do it. He likes to paint as a hobby and I think pretty good at it. These are his paintings for reference (I think his artistic work is amazing, but that's just me.. and he's my dad after all!)

After looking at his work, I think he's got the skills required to whip up something pretty cool. All that's left is to think of a good composition. If I may suggest something, try also looking at the Incarnation ceremony in volume 21 to help you find inspiration on angles and the like.

Great project !!!

I've got some berserk on my wall too, my brother painted it for my birthday several months ago.

Sure, great painting skills might be very usefull.

Some new pics ?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's a beautiful recreation, but I think the colors are too vibrant for the things they depict. I think Miura intentionally dulled the color intensity due to the scene. Same with volume 34's cover. But seriously, everything else about the painting is very, very impressive!

Right, the colors are too vibrant on the picture because of the lightning. Afternoon lightning... the window is near. ;)

My brother did a great job, yes, thanks to him. He used airbrush (for the background) and acrylic paint.

I think airbrush might be a good way to paint your wall Turkitage.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Great recreation, like Walter said. Badass present from your brother.

Infected_Guili said:
Right, the colors are too vibrant on the picture because of the lightning. Afternoon lightning... the window is near. ;)

Those deadly French afternoons, you never know when lightning might strike an innocent man opening his window. :iva:

Yeah, your brother is great! LOL You should bother him for another painting because we would love to seem more! Oh, do I see a dragon slayer tucked away in the corner there?

turkitage

ターク
Infected_Guili said:
Great project !!!

I've got some berserk on my wall too, my brother painted it for my birthday several months ago.
Sure, great painting skills might be very usefull.

Some new pics ?

Awesome painting! And like everyone said your brother has done talent!

Death May Die said:
Yeah, your brother is great! LOL You should bother him for another painting because we would love to seem more! Oh, do I see a dragon slayer tucked away in the corner there?

Yep !!! :) ===> http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10662.0

X

Xem

Haha, Guili totally hi-jacked this shit. :ganishka: Love your bro's work too, and ridiculously jealous of your Dragonslayer (one day...)...

I like your idea Turkitage, though I dunno if I like the angle so much (straight on from that distance)... maybe you could show some more concept art? :griffnotevil:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Definitely a nice painting, Guili! At times like this, I imagine that it really pays off to have siblings. :slan:

But since Turk originally started this thread with his project, I'm wondering how it's turning out now that it's been almost a year. Do you still want to use that image, and if so, have had a chance to work on it? The people must know! :daiba:

turkitage

ターク
Xem said:
I like your idea Turkitage, though I dunno if I like the angle so much (straight on from that distance)... maybe you could show some more concept art? :griffnotevil:

Grail said:
But since Turk originally started this thread with his project, I'm wondering how it's turning out now that it's been almost a year. Do you still want to use that image, and if so, have had a chance to work on it? The people must know! :daiba:

Hah! Sorry guys, I did not go through with this idea! :judo:

I did this instead: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=11395.msg204876#msg204876

Top Bottom