NGP (PSP2) Announced

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Sony has announced the NGP (Next Gen Portable, Damn that's catchy)

192602-ngp-ui_header.jpg

It looks...like a PSP! They've announced that it will feature games like Uncharted and Killzone. I hope history doesn't repeat itself, because this is sounding a lot like the DS. vs. PSP. Power/Gadget tech vs. Gimmick/More games.

"At PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Tokyo today, Sony officially announced the successor to the PSP. It's codenamed "NGP" ("Next Generation Portable"), and it appears to have an answer for many of the common complaints about the PSP platform -- and then some. As you can see, its body looks very much like a PSP, but it's larger than the PSP-3000, since it's packing a five-inch multitouch OLED screen at 960×544 (four times the pixels of the PSP). Here's what else we know about the hardware:

two analog sticks (yes, you read that correctly: sticks, not nubs like on the PSP -- they rise above the surface of the device)
3G, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, and GPS radios
the same motion sensors (three-axis accelerometer, three-axis gyroscope) as the PlayStation Move
a multitouch touchpad on the rear of the unit that's the same size as the front screen
front- and rear-facing cameras
a quad-core PowerVR SGX543MP4+ GPU"

Source - Destructoid - http://www.destructoid.com/sony-announces-psp2-codenamed-ngp-updated--192602.phtml

So it's being marketed as a kind of portable (7.2 inches wide) PS3? Can't say I'm interested so far. It looks like something Square-Enix will be interested in releasing a lot of Final Fantasy spinoffs for. The touch-sensitive part in the back is pretty cool.

Aphasia

Eluvei said:
So it's being marketed as a kind of portable (7.2 inches wide) PS3? Can't say I'm interested so far. It looks like something Square-Enix will be interested in releasing a lot of Final Fantasy spinoffs for. The touch-sensitive part in the back is pretty cool.

Basically. Sony had some good games for the PSP at the end of it's life cycle - if they come out of the gate with some good content they might stand a chance against the 3DS...Nah that was a joke. :ganishka:

I don't really understand what they plan on using that for. Your spare fingers are usually used to hold the device up from the back. It'll be interesting to see how/if they incorporate it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I have to say it seems pretty cool if it's as capable as they say, which would actually present a traditional alternative to the 3DS. Leave it to Sony to make the 3DS seem like the affordable one (though not by too much).

Bekul said:
So like an over sized iPhone without the phone part?

Can an iPhone play MGS4? And what if they're even able to port something like Dead Space 2 on to this thing? Yikes!

I wonder how much of a final product it is, the UI seems really crappy in my opinion. XMB looks so much cleaner and elegant to change it to something like this, which looks rather childish. That's probably my main complain. Also, the device has pretty much the same basic design of the original PSP (not so much of a problem, but something new may catch people's attention better), even the fingerprint magnets on the screen. An anti-glare/opaque finish would be better in my opinion. As for the price, I hope this isn't above $350 :'<

Other than that, the graphics look spectacular, and the sensor on the back is something new, can't wait to see it in person.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
I find it intriguing, but my eye is with the 3DS. But since there's a lack of actual game exhibition, I much rather play it safe and sit back. I'm hoping this NPG has a better road than the PSP did.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I'll be keeping my eye on both this and the 3DS for at least a year before I purchase one. Right now my biggest problem is that the only things my imagination look forward to are ports of current (or in the 3DS's case, N64 era!) games. I'd like a library that can stand on its own, please.

....Though, could you imagine a port of the first Mass Effect, with cross-platform save data capabilities? :magni: :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
The touch-sensitive part in the back is pretty cool.

It's the part I'm most wary of actually. Like Aphasia said, it might get tricky to use it while holding the device. The demo they had of your fingers lifting the ground in a game was pretty cool though. Let's hope developers will be creative enough to use it well.

Aphasia said:
Basically. Sony had some good games for the PSP at the end of it's life cycle

Something I find surprising (and worrying) is that Sony didn't mention backward compatibility with the PSPGo library and instead announced compatibility with the Playstation Suite store they're releasing for the Android platform (that'll only have PSX games unless I'm mistaken). Maybe I missed something or maybe they'll announce it later, but not implementing it would be a damn shame I think.

SrCraneo said:
An anti-glare/opaque finish would be better in my opinion. As for the price, I hope this isn't above $350 :'<

Agreed on the finish. As for the price, there's apparently two versions being made: one with 3G and one without, so there should be a more affordable option available. Still, given the specs, I do expect it to cost quite a bit.

Saephon said:
I'd like a library that can stand on its own, please.

Infinite Space II on the 3DS.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
Something I find surprising (and worrying) is that Sony didn't mention backward compatibility with the PSPGo library and instead announced compatibility with the Playstation Suite store they're releasing for the Android platform (that'll only have PSX games unless I'm mistaken). Maybe I missed something or maybe they'll announce it later, but not implementing it would be a damn shame I think.

They updated the link giving slight more info about that. However, all PSP owners that sticked with the UMD game purchases, now wonder if there would be some kind of import device (yeah right) or repurchase the games through PSN. There's a lot of mixed feelings on this so far. But we'll see.

Aphasia

SrCraneo said:
I wonder how much of a final product it is, the UI seems really crappy in my opinion. XMB looks so much cleaner and elegant to change it to something like this, which looks rather childish.

As for the price, I hope this isn't above $350 :'<

I'm not a big fan of the UI they're showing off either. It feels like an old smart phone UI or something. The system itself looks cool, but I'm kind of confused/concerned about what it is. It will obviously play games, but there seems to be a lot of emphasis on making it a gadget/3G everything/gaming device hybrid which I'm not a big fan of personally. I just want to play games on it, I don't need facebook or twitter apps.

I mucked up the name in the title, fixed. I'm also wondering why they came up with a new name for it. Maybe because they want to re-brand the system. It seems like it would've been a good idea just to call it the PSP2, that's what people have been calling it for however long anyways. It doesn't really matter, but NGP isn't as fun to say as PSP. :rakshas:

Saephon said:
I'll be keeping my eye on both this and the 3DS for at least a year before I purchase one. Right now my biggest problem is that the only things my imagination look forward to are ports of current (or in the 3DS's case, N64 era!) games.

Nomad said:
I find it intriguing, but my eye is with the 3DS. But since there's a lack of actual game exhibition, I much rather play it safe and sit back. I'm hoping this NPG has a better road than the PSP did.

This is how I'm feeling so far too. I'm going to wait for a price drop and let the systems get rolling before I jump in. Though I'm very impressed with the sheer volume of games the 3DS has announced/in development before it's even out.

Nomad said:
They updated the link giving slight more info about that. However, all PSP owners that sticked with the UMD game purchases, now wonder if there would be some kind of import device (yeah right) or repurchase the games through PSN. There's a lot of mixed feelings on this so far. But we'll see.

I was hoping they would have some form of backwards compatibility, but alas it looks like there's no such thing. I have a ton of UMD's, too. Ah well.

Anyone up for a generic trailer with giant basketballs turning into skittles and cool teenagers having way too much fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWtIXtODuAk

Aphasia said:
I mucked up the name in the title, fixed. I'm also wondering why they came up with a new name for it. Maybe because they want to re-brand the system. It seems like it would've been a good idea just to call it the PSP2, that's what people have been calling it for however long anyways. It doesn't really matter, but NGP isn't as fun to say as PSP.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-psp2-unveiled-next-generation-portable said:
Sony Computer Entertainment kingpin Kaz Hirai has unveiled the company's next generation portable device at a conference in Tokyo today – and it's currently codenamed NGP.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
I'm also wondering why they came up with a new name for it. Maybe because they want to re-brand the system. It seems like it would've been a good idea just to call it the PSP2, that's what people have been calling it for however long anyways. It doesn't really matter, but NGP isn't as fun to say as PSP. :rakshas:
It's purely a marketing move. The name is Sony's way of saying that this isn't just another PSP. This is a WHOLE NEW product! :isidro: And yeah, like Eluvei pointed out, it very likely isn't the final name. Just a buzzword to kick around and generate hype before the true branding around E3.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
Seriously though, the PSP2 is way too big. It's almost as big as a Game Gear.
The size is actually the only feature that grabbed my interest. It's like they looked at what the standard for what portable gaming had become and spit in the face of it. I admire the balls it took for them to go against the grain.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
The PSP had very few games that in the end produced decent sales. Sony needs to get very creative with these features. Not just a one time ordeal. The PS3 controler is a primary example. The whole angle ordeal became if non-existent to a secondary thing. And the saddest part of the PSP history was that I had more fun with games that weren't even sold in the US. Sure bring Kratos, Sackboy and Solid Snake... But somehow for me they still need to give this console it's own value. Not just a recycled tittle. Nintendo has the whole nostalgia factor in their favor, besides having a lot of good games. Sony has the tools to do a similar market. Let's just hope they get smart.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
The size is actually the only feature that grabbed my interest. It's like they looked at what the standard for what portable gaming had become and spit in the face of it. I admire the balls it took for them to go against the grain.

I don't think they put that much thought into it honestly. What else were they going to do? Release a PSP2 with a smaller screen than the original PSP?

Nomad said:
The PSP had very few games that in the end produced decent sales. Sony needs to get very creative with these features. Not just a one time ordeal. The PS3 controler is a primary example. The whole angle ordeal became if non-existent to a secondary thing. And the saddest part of the PSP history was that I had more fun with games that weren't even sold in the US. Sure bring Kratos, Sackboy and Solid Snake... But somehow for me they still need to give this console it's own value. Not just a recycled tittle. Nintendo has the whole nostalgia factor in their favor, besides having a lot of good games. Sony has the tools to do a similar market. Let's just hope they get smart.

From what's been announced, Sony is staying consistent with their PSP policy: making a system on which developers can easily port the games and technologies they use on the bigger systems. And Nintendo is sticking to their NDS policy as well: encouraging developers to adapt their products to the system's specificities (2 screens, 3D). Will the slight changes on each side bring about a different result as far as commercial success goes? I say maybe. We'll see.

Turkitage said:
why do you get me every time? :puck:

:casca:

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Walter said:
That just says that it could get bigger. Then the idiots at IGN speculated it could get smaller too.

all i said was the size was tentative

"Sony cautioned in their press release that the dimensions listed were tentative"

Top Bottom