NGP (PSP2) Announced

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Slime_Beherit said:
all i said was the size was tentative

"Sony cautioned in their press release that the dimensions listed were tentative"
Ok, let's review. Eluvei said the device was "too big" and you responded that the size was "tentative," based on information that the dimension listed "excludes the largest projection," meaning that it could be even bigger. Got it.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
i gets it now.

At first i thought they should probably make it smaller to lower the cost of the thing, but I'm not sure they can, I forgot its quite the graphical power house.Its probably jam packed in there.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Future revisions will likely be smaller. But not this generation. And really, I don't see how that's a big problem.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I wish Sony all the worst, with their overpriced, overhyped products and media formats. Betacam, super audio cd, minidisk, umd, bluray, all their consoles, pffsh... :femto: I have nothing but pure contempt for them. I'll never be suckered into drinking Sony's Kool Aid.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't buy into brand hatred. All companies are simply doing their best to get your money at the end of the day. Some just manage to make you forget about that for a while while you have fun.

Though personally, I don't care at all about the NGP. If I wanted a home-console experience, I'd play a home console. And I don't.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Walter said:
It's purely a marketing move. The name is Sony's way of saying that this isn't just another PSP. This is a WHOLE NEW product! :isidro: And yeah, like Eluvei pointed out, it very likely isn't the final name. Just a buzzword to kick around and generate hype before the true branding around E3.

Consider me learned!

NightCrawler said:
I wish Sony all the worst, with their overpriced, overhyped products and media formats. Betacam, super audio cd, minidisk, umd, bluray, all their consoles, pffsh... :femto: I have nothing but pure contempt for them. I'll never be suckered into drinking Sony's Kool Aid.

So you hate them because you're not into their products? Well played! :troll:

Walter said:
I don't buy into brand hatred. All companies are simply doing their best to get your money at the end of the day. Some just manage to make you forget about that for a while while you have fun.
Though personally, I don't care at all about the NGP. If I wanted a home-console experience, I'd play a home console. And I don't.

That's true. I think it's silly when people think certain companies are more evil than others. They're all good at different things and they all certainly suck at different things. Nintendo blows at localizing (and game trials) Sony puts out super powered handhelds with excessive ports, and Microsoft continues to raise the price of live while giving customers a bunch of facebook shit on the dashboard. But I agree with you on that point - I just realized how cram packed this thing is with features - two cameras, touch screen on the front and back, better processor, much higher res screen, 3G wifi etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 349.99 or even 399.99.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Aphasia said:
So you hate them because you're not into their products? Well played! :troll:

I hate them because they try to shove every new format like it's the next big thing, when they are clearly betting on losing horses. I can't remember a decent format they've done besides the compact disc. And bluray will never catch up, specially since in Japan they found new life into dvds with some new material that costs the same and can store alot of gb (can't remember how much). Dunno who they sold it to (Not Sony! :troll:)
But this is way off-topic. I just hope this NGP is another failled overpriced product.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:

I completely sympathize with this sentiment, though the PSX was an awesome achievement, the PS2's longevity and library can't be denied despite Sony's lethargy, and hey, games look almost as good on PS3 as they do on X-Box 360. :troll:

Walter said:
I don't buy into brand hatred.

I find it's commonly the flipside of even more irrational brand zealotry, e.g. SONY IS THE BEST THEREFORE MICROSOFT AND NINTENDO ARE AWFUL JOKES ONLY THE MENTALLY DERANGED THINK THEY ENJOY AND I REFUSE TO PLAY THEM CUZ THER 4 FAGOT!!!

Walter said:
All companies are simply doing their best to get your money at the end of the day. Some just manage to make you forget about that for a while while you have fun.

Nintendo almost made me forget again with the 3DS, until Sony reminded me with the NGP... now I just see the flaws between the two of them and probably won't get either. My hatred comes in when these companies do a poor job of making it worth my money, which all of them have been doing in their own way the last few years, and in which case I've discovered that I'll gladly sit a generation or two out or find more reasonable alternatives to play the games I want. Saves me from playing a lot of shit too.

Walter said:
Though personally, I don't care at all about the NGP. If I wanted a home-console experience, I'd play a home console.

That's actually what I find most intriguing, what will it's capabilities ultimately be for say rigging it to a (3D =) TV and playing MGS4 or ME2 on it like one would a PS3 or XBox? $400 is expensive, but if it's like two expensive platforms for the price of one, that's suddenly a cool deal. Of course, I'm sure it won't be that simple or work that way, which goes to my previous point.

Walter said:

Actually you do, you just call it your PC. =)

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
NightCrawler said:
I hate them because they try to shove every new format like it's the next big thing, when they are clearly betting on losing horses. I can't remember a decent format they've done besides the compact disc. And bluray will never catch up, specially since in Japan they found new life into dvds with some new material that costs the same and can store alot of gb (can't remember how much). Dunno who they sold it to (Not Sony! :troll:)
But this is way off-topic. I just hope this NGP is another failled overpriced product.

Content will always win the race. Until sony realizes this I'm afraid they'll have to boldly follow in Nintendo's footsteps. However I don't really understand the rational behind wanting them to fail. Somebody has to pretend to be Microsoft's rival. :griffnotevil:

Griffith said:
I find it's more commonly the flipside of even more irrational brand zealotry, e.g. SONY IS THE BEST THEREFORE MICROSOFT AND NINTENDO ARE AWFUL JOKES ONLY THE MENTALLY DERANGED THINK THEY ENJOY AND I REFUSE TO PLAY THEM CUZ THER 4 FAGOT!!!

Nintendo almost made me forget again with the 3DS, until Sony reminded me with the NGP... now I just see the flaws between the two of them and probably won't get either. My hatred comes in when these companies do a poor job of making it worth my money, which all of them have been doing in their own way the last few years, and in which case I've discovered that I'll gladly sit a generation or two out or find more reasonable alternatives to play the games I want. Saves me from playing a lot of shit too.

Hah, that's always sad. Those people are missing out on great games. I personally have no preference. I'd rather have fun playing the game than be concerned about what hardware is running it. If it's too expensive I don't buy it. Boom. Also, waiting is a great way to save money. Most people don't have that patience (I know I don't)

Nintendogs will miss you dearly.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-04-new-ngp-details-emerge-at-private-event

Interesting development here. Guessing that Sony is attempting to gain points by benefiting developers operations. Can't say that this is the highlight of the latest news, but it brings out the good old PS1 strategy back in the days. This NGP seems to be gaining points around, so far so good. Still no price tag. I do find the idea of sharing handheld with main consoles interesting. Though like I said before, they need to give this NGP it's own value by placing good tittles instead of recycled ones.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I have a very ill feeling that the NGP isn't going to do very well. The PSP has had a shaky track record at best, the GO was more or less a commercial failure, Sony's other piece of recent hardware - The Move -was underwhelming, and they're going to have to compete with the 3DS. I honestly don't know why they're even bothering at this point. The fact that they're nixing backwards compatibility by phasing out the UMDs (which was a pretty silly form of media to begin with) is only going to screw this up for them more.

Nomad said:
I do find the idea of sharing handheld with main consoles interesting.

I find this a very weird decision. Like Walter, I don't see a reason to buy one if I could just buy home consoles. It's like there's already a better version of the NGP called PS3.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
From the impressions that I've heard they are trying to position the NGP as the machine to take the games you are currently playing on PS3 on the go.

Griffith

Nomad said:
I do find the idea of sharing handheld with main consoles interesting. Though like I said before, they need to give this NGP it's own value by placing good tittles instead of recycled ones.

Nah...

Eluvei said:
I find this a very weird decision. Like Walter, I don't see a reason to buy one if I could just buy home consoles. It's like there's already a better version of the NGP called PS3.

Getting closer...

Slime_Beherit said:
From the impressions that I've heard they are trying to position the NGP as the machine to take the games you are currently playing on PS3 on the go.

Almost... there...

You're all dancing around what would be the best of all world's, and the only scenario I find the least bit intriguing; a portable platform with the power of a home console that can serve as both. At home you can play it on your TV, but when you have to go you can also stick it in your backpack to play on the go (basically what I do with my laptop). Unfortunately, even if they could possibly pull it off so it's 90% the experience of a PS3 and looks good on an HDTV, they'd probably never do it because then they'd be making the PS3 obsolete. They'd gain at least one customer though. =)

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Sony is still taking baby steps around cloud saving, I really doubt they're going to pull of making a portable system that allows you to take your PS3 games on the go. At least not this generation.

Griffith

MrWeatherby said:
Sony is still taking baby steps around cloud saving, I really doubt they're going to pull of making a portable system that allows you to take your PS3 games on the go. At least not this generation.

Nor would they likely want to, but that won't stop them from hyping it up that way. It'll probably just be another rehash of the game boy connector cable, as mentioned.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
Interesting development here. Guessing that Sony is attempting to gain points by benefiting developers operations. Can't say that this is the highlight of the latest news, but it brings out the good old PS1 strategy back in the days.

I'd take these anonymous declarations with a grain of salt if I were you. Some people, and that includes people working in game development studios, tend to get a bit too excited over this kind of stuff. For all intents and purposes, Sony's strategy with the PSP for third parties wasn't any different than what it had been for other consoles in the past. It's not the reason the games didn't sell. The most important information in that article by far is this: "However, Sony is also insisting that it "does not want exactly the same game" on NGP and PS3 – there "has to be a reason for the NGP title"."

MrWeatherby said:
I have a very ill feeling that the NGP isn't going to do very well. The PSP has had a shaky track record at best, the GO was more or less a commercial failure, Sony's other piece of recent hardware - The Move -was underwhelming, and they're going to have to compete with the 3DS. I honestly don't know why they're even bothering at this point. The fact that they're nixing backwards compatibility by phasing out the UMDs (which was a pretty silly form of media to begin with) is only going to screw this up for them more.

I think its price will be determinant, but clearly they're not diverging from their PSP strategy. And they're not the only ones; it's actually a bit funny to see how the same cycle is being repeated in the media: DS announced, excitement ensues, PSP announced, madness ensues, the DS is already dead, PSP will rule the earth, etc.

Eluvei said:

Griff touched on it, but there's a big flaw in Sony's strategy here, and it's the fact they're pretending that developers can port PS3 games straight to the NGP while they definitely don't want that to happen. Just like Nintendo doesn't want too many straight ports on its own system. It's kind of a double talk on their part to put forward the whole "take your PS3 games with you on the move" aspect while what they actually want is original titles (who's going to buy the same game twice for practically the same price anyway?). Because porting a game is cheap while developing an original title is expensive, and more so when the system it runs on is as capable as the NGP. In the end it's really not so different from what was done on the PSP: spin-offs of popular AAA games like God of War or Metal Gear Solid.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Heh, you guys are making me feel like I am jumping up and down here with excitement. Truly not the case, I find those allegations interesting and in a way I meant it with a touch of sarcasm. It's a bold claim for Sony and I still agree with what was said before. Copying a game from a home console would take the NGP value straight to the ground. If they want people to download games from the PSN? Then ok, fine... That's one easy purchase. But still doesn't take care of the content problem. My PSP got out of "mail holder" status mmmm 3-4 times? Even some of the games that were hyped up to be "awesome" I found them boring. But if they want to sell me that this PSP2, NGP... Or whatever the hell it is that they want to call it in the next months as the powerhouse of handhelds? They better start delivering with content that would give value to it.

What I do find funny. Is that the PS3 fell under the piracy hands, and hard not long ago. Now I'm not getting on details on this one, but I wonder what steps will be taken to give the NGP protection. And yes, piracy was a big factor on the PSP... And a very easy factor at that.

Funny story, and I'll even post it here for those who are interested in the Nintendo 3DS. My wife and I went to Gamestop yesterday, she wants to buy the 3DS on opening day (She actually loves the DS). So now Gamestop offered us this package if you were to exchange your DS they would give you credit. To my surprise her DSi was valued for 100.00. If we were to just sell it without planning on buying the 3DS, they would given us 40-50.00. I'm one to hate promoting, but assuming there's people here wanting to buy on opening day. I figured I let you guys know. 100.00 is better then half any day.

Aazealh said:
I'd take these anonymous declarations with a grain of salt if I were you. Some people, and that includes people working in game development studios, tend to get a bit too excited over this kind of stuff. For all intents and purposes, Sony's strategy with the PSP for third parties wasn't any different than what it had been for other consoles in the past. It's not the reason the games didn't sell. The most important information in that article by far is this: "However, Sony is also insisting that it "does not want exactly the same game" on NGP and PS3 – there "has to be a reason for the NGP title"."

You know me Aaz, I'm not one to get into hypes unless I myself were to be excited for some personal reason. Like I posted originally in this thread, I'm just keeping an eye on it, but for now... I'm leaning more into the 3DS family. But it would be nice to see the NGP become something of worth.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
What I do find funny. Is that the PS3 fell under the piracy hands, and hard not long ago. Now I'm not getting on details on this one, but I wonder what steps will be taken to give the NGP protection. And yes, piracy was a big factor on the PSP... And a very easy factor at that.

Indeed... Nintendo seems to have take some steps but I remain dubitative regarding their effectiveness (region locking is not surprisingly a huge bummer for me since a lot of games still don't come out in Europe nowadays).

Nomad said:
You know me Aaz, I'm not one to get into hypes unless I myself were to be excited for some personal reason. Like I posted originally in this thread, I'm just keeping an eye on it, but for now... I'm leaning more into the 3DS family. But it would be nice to see the NGP become something of worth.

Yeah I know man, and I'm with you in wishing the NGP the best.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Aazealh said:
I think its price will be determinant, but clearly they're not diverging from their PSP strategy. And they're not the only ones; it's actually a bit funny to see how the same cycle is being repeated in the media: DS announced, excitement ensues, PSP announced, madness ensues, the DS is already dead, PSP will rule the earth, etc.

I'm fully expecting the price to be 400 dollars. I know that seems excessive, but the pricing on the PS3 and Go has proven to me that Sony is capable of tossing out a number like that.

And I agree, it's neat to see this cycle play out again. Fortunately I've learned from the last generation. I'm probably going to wait until a 3DS "lite" comes out before I pick up that system, and the PSP2 can rot until Sony shows they're going to put more on the system than rehashed console titles and shallow RPGs.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MrWeatherby said:
I'm fully expecting the price to be 400 dollars. I know that seems excessive, but the pricing on the PS3 and Go has proven to me that Sony is capable of tossing out a number like that.

Yeah it's the first thing I thought of when I watched the conference: "$399".

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Ha ha! Got an e-mail today from Playstation:

PlayStation® will be conducting focus groups to discuss consoles, software and other gaming-related topics on February 16 in the Chicago area. If you qualify, the discussion will last approximately two hours. All participants will be paid $150 each for their participation.

Because we want your unfiltered opinions, we have hired an independent research company, Schlesinger Associates, to conduct these discussions. If you would like more information or would like to participate, please call ***-***-****, use the project reference number **15 CH and ask for Ben or Sean.

We would love to hear your opinions!

Should I unleash my thoughts? Is this even worth attending (God knows if this 150.00 turns into PSN credits)?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
Should I unleash my thoughts? Is this even worth attending (God knows if this 150.00 turns into PSN credits)?

Why not? If you've got nothing better to do on that day...

waqas

Oh, nevermind...
Tbh I'm not sure what to think about the NGP. After wasting a ton of cash on the Go I'd given up on Sony's portable system misadventures. But for some reason I'm intrigued by this. Must have something to do with the DUAL ANALOG. Now you can actually play a shooter and have a decent experience. But then again have the dual analog is such a no-brainer anyway. Makes you wonder what kind of brain-f**k allowed the original PSP to go out the door with one...

Top Bottom