Trolls

I know most people don't like this new story arc, but I have faith that it will lead to something very worthwhile

I was wondering whether the trolls were once people transformed by some as yet to be seen apostle.  Somewhat like Roshinu(Lucine) did with the children turning them into fairies and the adults into guardians.  If this is true where would all these people/trolls have come from?  What does everyone else think?
Also the appearance of the kelpie could this be the as yet unseen apostle using his powers or does it have to do with elementals?  What other mythical beings will show up?

P

psymont

when the faires were killed they turned into kids again .... the trolls dont .... i dont know if anybody here plays D&D, but it was just like polymorph ....

sometimes it is neccessary for the story to deviate from the beaten path otherwise it would be to straight forward .... i dont mind the troll thing much .... at least it will end in about 3-6 chapters(best guess)

Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing them change back, but i do remember the trolls would eat the dead. So now I am unsure whether they were humans or what they were/are. I am unfamiliar with D&D. What is polymorph?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
namayias said:
Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing them change back, but i do remember the trolls would eat the dead. So now I am unsure whether they were humans or what they were/are.
Beginning of chapter 204.
I am unfamiliar with D&D. What is polymorph?
I know the term from playing Warcraft II. Its a spell that changes a human into an animal.

Walter said:
I am unfamiliar with D&D. What is polymorph?
I know the term from playing Warcraft II. Its a spell that changes a human into an animal.
Ok, I remember that from Warcraft II. Thanks.

As for the trolls, does anyone else think they look like rats crossed with monkeys?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Polymorph means shapeshift (not necessarily human to animal). Anyway, I guess D&D's polymorphism spells could be compared to an apostle's transformation in a way, though they only last a few moments and can be canceled. Unlike apostles and related creatures (e.g. the kids from the Lost Children chapter) who only turned back to their human forms once dead.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
When the light did strike them the trolls just vanished in smoke. No humans remains were left. So since apostles and shito-apostles leave their original human body behind them where they are killed (see Wyald) those trolls are something different: I think that neither them nor the kelpie and ogre were ever humans but some force that did take corporeal form.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
roberto999 said:
When the light did strike them the trolls just vanished in smoke. No humans remains were left. So since apostles and shito-apostles leave their original human body behind them where they are killed (see Wyald) those trolls are something different: I think that neither them nor the kelpie and ogre were ever humans but some force that did take corporeal form.
Wasn't this already explained to us?

D

Drachenfels

Trolls, kelpies etc. are just "faerie creatures" that only exist in the same "outer magic elf" realm, like smurfs, but somehow(probably due Griffith's appearence in the world) can manifest in the reality. That's as far as I understood it from the latest volume.

P

psymont

Aazealh said:
Polymorph means shapeshift (not necessarily human to animal). Anyway, D&D's polymorphism spells could be compared with an apostle's transformation in a way, though they only last a few moments and can be canceled. That's unlike Wyald or the kids from the Lost Children chapter who only turned back to their human forms once dead.

i meant to say "polymorph other" .... its effects are curse like and will last until removed .... as far as "polymorph self" goes, it lasts 1 hour per level of spellcaster in D&D .... berserk is becoming more fantasy orientated, so it is likely we will see more things like dragons, gnolls, goblins, nymphs, liches, etc. as the party gets closer to Elfhelm .... thats fine with me .... at one point(not exactly sure when) puck was speaking with everyone regarding the existance of beings of legend and fairytales .... it was brought up that the more people believed, the more likely it would be to encounter such a thing .... isidro brought up the point that if people stop believing, these things would just disappear and puck got anxious .... interesting ....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ok for Polymorph Other, but the apostles' ability to transform is more like an evil blessing than a curse, and it doesn't look like it can be "cured". Maybe Skully can interfere with the process by eating beherits... Hmm, probably not.

P

psymont

yeah, why does skully eat those damn things? .... is he a collector? .... i dont think he, by eating the behelits, stops the powers of the apostle .... ie. when he ate the behelit of the big behelit with legs right after fighting him, it was still able to acomplish what it wanted to do .... anyone know why he eats them?

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
psymont said:
yeah, why does skully eat those damn things? .... is he a collector? .... i dont think he, by eating the behelits, stops the powers of the apostle .... ie. when he ate the behelit of the big behelit with legs right after fighting him, it was still able to acomplish what it wanted to do .... anyone know why he eats them?

so no one else has em?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
when he ate the Beherit of the big Beherit with legs right after fighting him, it was still able to acomplish what it wanted to do

True. I think like Wereallmad that SK's eating beherits to take them out of circulation, so that their next "destined user" can't reach them and become an apostle.

After reading the summary for 215 it explained a little why these trolls, ogres, kelpies are appearing all together and it seems to establish that they are not created from an apostle. However, the kelpie just leaves me with more questions. Since all these beings of the same od are gathered together, is a kelpie an evil being like the ogre and trolls? I don't know much about some mythical creatures, but I seemed to get the impression the kelpie was sort of a good creature.
But I may be wrong.

namayias said:
I don't know much about some mythical creatures, but I seemed to get the impression the kelpie was sort of a good creature.
But I may be wrong.

I think you are.
This doesn't look like a "good creature" to me...

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Perhaps the kelpie wasn't neccesarily "good" or "evil."

IMO we have 3 surreal powers.
1. The Dark- EVIL; Idea, apostles, trolls
2. Elements- Neutral; Kelpie, elemental kings, salamanders, sylphs
3. The Light- Elves... Elves?... well, berserk is mostly dark, isn't it?

Scherkie explained that a Kelpie is driven by their desire alone. And that they thirst for human souls.

I highly doubt something that devours and eats human souls would be consider good, or even neutral.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
That follows.
That would be after volume 24 though, so I know almost nothing about it.

It seems that the "elf scent" puck has spoke of is comparative to the pain caused when the brand is near an apostle. (do trolls have this effect? from what I've seen, I havn't been able to tell either way.)
The elements havn't effected the brands at all to my knowledge. But they don't seem like the elves.
Does "any" or "none in perticular" seem more accurate then neutral?

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
but before Schierke covered it Guts mark reacted to Flora,albeit in a different manner that to the apostles and the trolls. It did react to trolls too, and if you look closely at the you see that it did react to the ogre and kelpie, while covered by Schierke picture, but faintly and without bleeding.

Chris said:
namayias said:
I don't know much about some mythical creatures, but I seemed to get the impression the kelpie was sort of a good creature.
But I may be wrong.

I think you are.

Thanks! That link gave me a better understanding of what a kelpie is/was. Seems I misunderstood what the kelpie was.

I wonder what lured it to the town to attack, though. Wonder what other mythical creatures will appear.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Chris said:
namayias said:
But I may be wrong.

I think you are.
you know according to many legends, Puck ( will-o-the-wisp ) are very bad intentioned ; the pooka ( same origin ... ) in ireland is very mean : /

P

psymont

puck seems more like a pixie or fairy to me .... did he ever mention that he was a willo? .... i know he calls himself a fairy

Top Bottom