Dragon Age II

yesmilord

千年王国
Comes out tonight if you pre-loaded it on Steam! I know I'm going to be cracking out this weekend :mozgus:

Let the screenshot madness begin !!!

I'll be playing a warrior again - after playing Origins through with 3x warriors, this time things are going to be much more exciting.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hahaha, your enthusiasm honors you, but I'm not sure too many of us will follow you on this one.

Alright, but before you play, please remember to get this: http://ca.kotaku.com/5779150/how-to-make-dragon-age-ii-look-a-lot-better-on-pc

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Installed it last night, in spite of the most counter-productive demo I've ever seen. (Demos ARE supposed to drum up interest in a game, right...?)
I'll be back here when I've played through the main quest. My expectations are low. Happy huntings :iva:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Metacritic score hanging around at 85 right now. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-ii

Personally, the demo for DA2 was a huge turn off for me. I won't be buying this unless I get an amazing recommendation from a trusted source, or the price drops below $20 on a holiday sale.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
So far, so good to me really. Granted, I had very bad experience with Origins on the 360.

I'm really enjoying it. After seeing the more 'action' style of combat, I did the unthinkable, and purchased it on the PS3 instead of PC. I'm hoping this decision doesn't come back to bite me, but thus far, I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

yesmilord

千年王国
Awww guys, don't be like that :(

I was wondering why you guys didn't already create a DA2 thread, I guess I should've sifted further back in the other thread to find out that people weren't going to enjoy the streamlining. Personally, I didn't play Awakening or any of the other DLCs that came out after Origins, so I was sorely in need of my DA fix. I just managed to complete the game last night (30 hours played - pretty sure that's less than the first); I was decently thorough, only skipping a handful of sidequests and two friendship quests lines. To those who had already called it: nope, it's not as good as Origins :iva:.

Mini-review with minor SPOILERS (if you care)

The Good

The game has been polished. The interface is much easier to follow and the general flow of the talent trees just makes more sense. Combat has been streamlined a bit, but it is definitely a welcome change from the fact that you don't have access to your core abilities early on in Origins. In this game, you can reach your more important abilities early-mid game so that you can become accustomed to how your party works. Speaking of parties, the tactics book has become much more advanced and your teammates are much more responsible this time around! Movement is more fluid, allowing AoE dodging and trap evading to be a less cumbersome task; kiting is highly encouraged! Cross-class combos allow for some interesting team compositions, instead of just mashing mages together and spamming overpowered spells (though mages are still the top class right now haha). While people may argue that this detracts from the "difficulty" of the original, I must say that I don't mind the changes as much as other people are complaining about it. If you turn the game on Hard or Nightmare, it's still as challenging as it was before.

Story-wise, we're tossed back into a Mage/Templar battle. The choices this time, however, are extremely gray. What I mean is that there's really no right or wrong choice, and it becomes extremely apparent by the time you finish the game. When it came down to it, I actually had a few tough decisions to make, and the gravity of the situation was much more grand and would affect the game in a more profound way than in Origins.

The Bad

Where do I start lol. I'll begin with some peeves. They re-used levels over and over again, and since you stay in Kirkwall for the entire duration of all three acts, it's easy to grow tired of traversing the exact same tunnels for virtually unrelated quests. Your party is now less customizable, meaning you can't give them body armor, only accessories and a weapon. I see this is both good and bad - they didn't want your companions looking like clowns, so they would upgrade their armor for you. It bugged me at first, but towards the end I really didn't care all that much anymore. I guess it was silly to put Morrigan in plate anyways :serpico:. Quests are very hollow, meaning that they're often treadmill, leading you to random killings for coin. In fact, the entire first act is you raising enough money to enter the Deep Roads, so you end up taking a bunch of odd jobs just to get that done. Lame. Less character interactions now - you can't just talk your way into friendships, you have to complete their friendship quest lines.

The story felt hollow. Events unfold and are tied together rather loosely by the end. Unlike Origins, I found myself not really caring most of the time, especially for the characters. I admit there were one or two very shocking moments, but for the most part the pieces of the story felt disconnected and irrelevant. While we get a few familiar faces, like Anders, Isabela, and even Zevren, the newer cast is far less lovable and deprived of any wit. I loved listening to Morrigan, Alistair, Ogrehn, and Wynne banter as I strode through town - the atmosphere just isn't the same this time around. The ending was epic, but disappointing in a way once you realize that whichever path you took would lead to the same final result. It was also very abrupt and on a "cliffhanger", so you can bet on DLC in the next few months to cover some plotholes. Doh.

Overall

The honest truth is that Dragon Age II is still a very good game. It's polished, neat, and while slightly hollow, still gives you the DA fix. If it wasn't so constantly compared to the original, I'm sure most people would love this game. Oh, and you get to see Alistair again (assuming you didn't load a DA:O save where he died). That was probably the giddiest moment in the entire game for me :serpico: I'd say definitely buy it when it goes on sale. Might not be worth the $60 if you're not dying to play Dragon Age or were turned off by the demo, but I certainly think it was well worth my time.

And screenshots, of course. EDIT: UGH, sorry for how gigantor they are. I pulled them off my steam image cloud - sorry! I'll fix it later.
'

4339C02BE41942F425E17347F7FED00D1F97764C

My warrior, Champion Augusta Hawke.

4F3F969088AACFD26CA9A188EB5D7F157172624D

Close up of Miss Hawke.

2D433A63872F39E08A99C451CC10BCA1C87F914A

Updated textures make DA2 look really good on the PC!

AA610324FF0ADBD2DA83837A60F92C99A1C64FAD

Dragon slaying redux.

C293DCAB91DFC5BB605ED6AC9BD61CE6719AF84E

The grand city of Kirkwall. Check out how good it looks!

5ED3ECC7C59A2DF288A4C541060872C5A3CD447B

Anders powered up.

C36F8D11C0E77645DF2A294841A7948A48E31471

Meredith gone batshit insane!

FFA60860122054F603E596E39165435F5AE4754F

The new Flemmeth look.

Hopefully I'm not the only here that got the chance to enjoy the game!

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Might as well post this now. Dragon Age 2 left a bad taste in my mouth. I had waited to play both Origins and Awakenings weeks before this release, and by doing so it brought disappointment in the plate. Without giving spoilers to the plate, the game consists 80% within 1town. Now, you would think the because of the small geographical form you would be able to wonder off around and such... Wrong. The town splits up like the previous game in the map, except that this time you get to "explore" a much shorter space. Secondly, not only that but you get to do quests in locations to which you had already been eeerrrr 3-5 times now? Explore the SAME areas to get different types of loots in the SAME places... overall, it literally made me fall asleep 4 times, no joke. If people enjoyed it? that's all fine and dandy, but I DESPISE zigzagging nonstop. DA2 puts Resident Evil to shame when it comes to that.

The story, well... I understand they went for a different direction here. But frankly I felt that this was Mass Effect 2 x 1,000. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed ME2 very much. But if you were looking for the same variety of stories, world interests as the first?... you have one thing coming. I remember going to different places in DA:Origins, learning their story and perhaps saving the day and moving on. There's none. And you would think the main plot is on the horizon, ha ha... No. Pick herbs here, kill this guy there. Find out little plot holes along the way, but not enough to spark any interest.

Overall, I was debating in downloading DLC's and all that Jazz... Pass. DA2 has achieved a long term Case Logic vacation.

PS. Sorry yesmilord, I don't like talking trash about something right after another gives it a more enjoyable review, this was purely coincidental. I'm glad somebody enjoyed it.

yesmilord

千年王国
It's all good! I'm not saying the game is some amazing masterpiece either; my section of cons was definitely larger than my pros haha.

I'm just a bit appalled at some of the backlash that was given to the demo. It was actually the demo that made me want to play the game. But I think it might just be because I hadn't played Dragon Age since basically when Origins came out. I enjoyed it, yes, but did I LOVE it? Nah.

I'm actually gonna go back and play Origins again now lol. Funny how that works.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure this offer isn't really useful for most people, but BioWare is giving away Mass Effect 2 to anyone who purchases(d) Dragon Age II: http://dragonage.bioware.com/me2offer

Top Bottom