ITT we deconstruct how XYZ is an opium of the masses

O

Overlord Morgus

Media in all its forms imbues a quotidian, commercially manufactured social reality with a novelty and emotional intensity that does not and perhaps can not actually exist. It functions as an advertisement not for any specific product but for the project of bureaucratic society itself.

Religions exist not to promote any specific idea or set of beliefs but to suppress the human capacity for reason in aggregate, as this is necessary for much of society to function.

O

Overlord Morgus

Are you going to actually say something, or are you just incrementing your postcount? :puck:

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Overlord Morgus said:
Religions exist not to promote any specific idea or set of beliefs but to suppress the human capacity for reason in aggregate, as this is necessary for much of society to function.

I don't get this. That is exactly what Religions do, they promote their ideas. Whether or not you decide to assign them value is your decision. You're saying they exist to suppress our collective reasoning?

O

Overlord Morgus

Exercises like this are the opposite of what they're intended to be.

Explain?

I don't get this. That is exactly what Religions do, they promote their ideas. Whether or not you decide to assign them value is your decision. You're saying they exist to suppress our collective reasoning?

That's not their overall effect on society, and if you ask any lay worshipper about the finer details of their doctrine, they will be stumped. Religious wars are more often than not the result of conflicts between elites.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Overlord Morgus said:

Rather than deconstructing complex sociological subjects it usually leads to recasting one narrow definition of them for another, or counter-definition.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Overlord Morgus said:
So how would we properly do this?

Either we start reading/writing extensively on these subjects, like multiple books; or, just ignore my earlier buzzkilling comment and carry on. :ganishka:

To be fair, here's my two cents on religion in that vein: benign reflection of the best and worst humanity has to offer, but not the cause of either. When people can't make sense of the man in the mirror, atheists and zealots alike will look to the man upstairs to credit or blame. Now doesn't that just sound stupidly simplistic written out like that? And I meant it at the time, too. =)

O

Overlord Morgus

I think that religion is a self-reinforcing manifestation of herd instinct. Like a fungal infection.

Top Bottom