Proof positive that fast food is slave food

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Overlord Morgus

link

FTA:

Traditionally-prepared soul foods tend to be very high in starch, fat, sodium, cholesterol, and calories -- qualities once-necessary for sustaining the physically grueling life of a captive worker in slavery-era America. In contemporary times, some traditional-style soul foods have been implicated in the abnormally high rates of high blood pressure, diabetes, clogged arteries, stroke, and heart attack suffered by African-Americans -- especially those living in the southern and central U.S.A.

Sound familiar?

O

Overlord Morgus

I'm just saying that there are similarities between the most capitalist of foods and what slaves would feed themselves to get through the day.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Overlord Morgus said:
I'm just saying that there are similarities between the most capitalist of foods and what slaves would feed themselves to get through the day.

Not exactly what you were "just" saying, that's quite a step back actually:
Overlord Morgus][b]Proof positive that fast food is slave food[/b][/quote] [quote author=Bekul said:
How fast food capitalist food? There's McDonalds in China too. And slaves didn't get to eat that good.

Its fair to refer to fast food as such, China does capitalism better than anyone these days, and don't be so sure. Though, you're right to be dubious of this proposition anyway because this is just a ridiculously provocative non sequitur. Lets take it up a notch:

Proof positive that health food is nazi food:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler#Health

It makes sense since vegetarians are such nazis about it, just like we're all slaves to fast food capitalism, maaaaahn! :magni: :schnoz:

:troll:

O

Overlord Morgus

Except there are fewer parallels between modern vegetarians and Hitler than there are between unhealthy lower-class food and slave food.

Griffith

Overlord Morgus said:
Except there are fewer parallels between modern vegetarians and Hitler than there are between unhealthy lower-class food and slave food.

That's actually debatable, I'm sure if we tried we could find all sorts of insignificant parallels, not just between fast food and slave food or vegetarians and Hitler, but all of them to one other. The problem isn't lack of similarities, but lack of practical significance or meaningful context to those parallels; other than equating something one doesn't like with slavery or Hitler.

O

Overlord Morgus

Roughly similar socioeconomic status isn't really an insignificant parallel.

I dispute your claim of 'similar socioeconomic status'. What evidence do you offer of wide-spread modern American slavery? And I don't mean in the sense of hyperbole, something enough to support such a claim.

Griffith

I'm not convinced there's a legitimate correlation in comparing a well-stratified, largely self-selected group, namely people that eat fast food, to... slaves of the Atlantic slave trade. You were better off comparing the foods themselves, though there's not much to be said either way.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Overlord Morgus said:
McD's has a long-standing reputation as a lower-class food.

And these guys really cannot afford to buy anything else but Mcdonalds.

26464206.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fast food uses cheap ingredients for mass production purposes.
"Slave food" used cheap ingredients because that's all they could afford.

How provocative... :schierke:

O

Overlord Morgus

And these guys really cannot afford to buy anything else but Mcdonalds.

Slave culture is egalitarian in its own way, ask Friedrich Nietzsche.

Fast food uses cheap ingredients for mass production purposes.
"Slave food" used cheap ingredients because that's all they could afford.

Mass production uses cheap ingredients because that's all it can afford. Some people buy McDonald's because that's all they can afford.

Even if it's not limited by any means to the poor, it's still a scary connection to make.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
What my cat eats is slave food. What I eat is a wide variety of foods I can CHOOSE to buy.

Even if it's not limited by any means to the poor, it's still a scary connection to make.

Yeah people that are traveling around a lot buy "fast" food. Maybe it's because it's convenient???

X

Xem

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Yeah people that are traveling around a lot buy "fast" food. Maybe it's because it's convenient???

Yea, if you're really poor you walk to the grocery store and buy generic products like ramen and hotdogs.

Griffith

Overlord Morgus said:
Slave culture is egalitarian in its own way, ask Friedrich Nietzsche.

Finally, you're on the verge of going somewhere with this. Unfortunately, you're only saying that to rationalize your indefensible comparison of African slaves to the modern lower and middle classes. I think the problem here is you're making an extreme and overly dramatic thematic comparison to highlight the problems of those classes and society, but the problem is that comparing them to Atlantic slave trade is really quite insensitive to the extreme forms of physical and social suffering/oppression those slaves experienced, which can't even be compared to Roman slavery; a better example for what I think you're trying to accomplish, by the way.

Overlord Morgus said:
Mass production uses cheap ingredients because that's all it can afford. Some people buy McDonald's because that's all they can afford.

You've only connected that poor people eat poor food, hardly an exclusive or significant parallel to the Atlantic slave trade, which was your original assertion. What you've done since then is shifted your position and toned down your rhetoric, lessening your burden of proof without actually conceding that fact.
Oh, and you conveniently ignored my last critique. Don't think I didn't notice. :griffnotevil:

Also, food isn't exactly the best point of comparison for this in general. For example, potatoes have been enjoyed by the richest and poorest of people through history, but because one loves fast food french fries doesn't make them like Marie Antoinette or a Russian peasant. If you really want to talk about modern forms of oppression and fast food, I suggest you leave the Atlantic slave trade out of it because it's only going to make anything else look good by comparison, and rightfully so.

Deci said:
Yea, if you're really poor you walk to the grocery store and buy generic products like ramen and hotdogs.

This is true, if you don't have money but common sense cup noodles comes out to about $0.25 a meal. We'd have to compare that to some kind of subsistence culture though. =)

O

Overlord Morgus

So we can agree that modern day capitalist culture is plebeian and nihilistic to a large degree? That was pretty much what I was hoping to get at.

O

Overlord Morgus

Finally, you're on the verge of going somewhere with this. Unfortunately, you're only saying that to rationalize your indefensible comparison of African slaves to the modern lower and middle classes.

So if that's what I'm getting at, then it's not just a rationalization for the comparison, but the object of said comparison.

That said, I have come to the conclusion that class reductionism is a sniveling, small-minded slave morality in and of itself, so I will say no more.

Griffith

Overlord Morgus said:
So if that's what I'm getting at, then it's not just a rationalization for the comparison, but the object of said comparison.

That's very slippery of you, but no, my semi-magnanimous dismissal of the discussion is no retroactive validation of your purpose, but a would-be final critique of your methods, including said comparison and all proceeding rationalizations. Basically, I agreed that you were hoping, but that's it. Alas, the point is now moot...

Overlord Morgus said:
That said, I have come to the conclusion that class reductionism is a sniveling, small-minded slave morality in and of itself, so I will say no more.

Alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom