What do you think Schierke wants to say?

puella

Berserk forever
puella said:
Page 02

Schierke: Guts!

Guts: A stone statue?
Schierke: It's a seal, probably...

Schierke: It's part of an ancient civilization.
Schierke: Then it means...

This line is very meaningful. I can't overlook it. It should be followed by something like "we might ( )".
I can't stop thinking about the part left to our imagination here. How do you think Schierke meant to finish her sentence?
It should be related to her guess about the stone statue being from an ancient civilization.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
puella said:
This line is very meaningful. I can't overlook it. It should be followed by something like "we might ( )".
I can't stop thinking about the part left to our imagination here. How do you think Schierke meant to finish her sentence?
It should be related to her guess about the stone statue being from an ancient civilization.

In that case, it was probably about how there's a God Hand in there! :ubik:

Just kidding, let's examine a larger portion of the text, generously provided by yourself:

puella said:
Page 02

Schierke: Guts!

Guts: A stone statue?
Schierke: It's a seal, probably...

Schierke: It's part of an ancient civilization.
Schierke: Then it means...

Guts: By passing here, we step into hell.

Page 03

Schierke: ...This is the shrine of the Sea God

Considering how Guts cut her off, perhaps she was similarly going to comment on the danger beyond that point, or simply what she eventually said next, that they're at the shrine of the Sea God. Also, since she knows about the Merrows from Isma, and Isma herself is uncanny, perhaps she was about to connect it to that as well. As for the "we might" aspect of your question, I'd imagine the previous information would/will be important to the eventual plan of action, though she doesn't actually say anything about it later when discussing battle strategy with Guts, so she doesn't seem to have arrived at that conclusion yet, or hasn't had the opportunity to flesh it out. All that makes me think that whatever she was going to say, it probably wasn't much more significant than what she or Guts said anyway; or, by interrupting her train of thought with his obsession with Hell, Guts has set them way back going in. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Schierke sure is bad about not finishing her enigmatic statements....

But for this instance, I'm with Griff. When I first read that line, I thought that Guts basically finished Schierke's thought for her. The part about the ancient civilization doesn't necessarily connect with "Then it means..." The intent of the statements may work just as well in this arrangement: "It's a seal from an ancient civilization, probably ... then it means ... by passing here we step into hell."

Maybe there is something more to that line. We certainly look to you, Puella, for insight into things like this. But on first blush, this was my understanding of things.

puella

Berserk forever
This topic is really open to every suggestion. However, I personally don't think Guts is continuing her sentence considering her surprised expression in the following panel. What's more, in the original line Guts said something similar to "anyway" before his sentence. "Anyway" is not a good equivalent for the Japanese word "naniseyo", and some words aren't necessary to translate in English, which is why I omitted it. But now that I think of it more, "naniseyo" can be important here to show that Guts doesn't care no matter what it (what they saw) means. So I've added it to the translation to clarify.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, well then that does make things different. I imagine then that she may have said something about the merrows since Isma had told her about their history with the sea god. But that's not as compelling as the other possibilities.

puella

Berserk forever
Walter said:
Oh, well then that does make things different. I imagine then that she may have said something about the merrows since Isma had told her about their history with the sea god. But that's not as compelling as the other possibilities.

Actually I think it's possible Schierke thinks they might see merrows. I think it's important to link our guess/imagination to the ancient civilization. She was a bit impressed to see it.

I want to thank you Puella for pointing it out. At first i didn't pay any attention to it, i couldn't wait to see the sea god so to tell you the truth i skipped the first pages pretty fast.
I've been thinking about this all day and i believe that Schierke felt kind of relieved after seeing the statue. Let's rethink about it for a second. They land on the Island, they meet Isma who tell's them about the story of the sea god and the merrows.Right now they are walking inside the cave where they feel the sea god's enormous power.My guess, is that Schierke felt kind of hopeless after thinking what they were up against. Then suddenly she sees the Statue, it's the proof she's been searching. So i'm guessing that her next words would be something like "then this means...the story about the merrows is true, this monster has been beaten and sealed away in the past.. there is hope".

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I think all of these notions are good and will prove so in the coming episodes, but I also don't think we should put too many words in Schierke's mouth here. There's a number of possibilities, including that she said all she had to say at the time despite Guts' interruption.

Top Bottom