Episode 320

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
feralotter said:
And another in less than 3 weeks? These are good times. :badbone:
Yep, it's out in 3 weeks, but it's technically just the next issue of Young Animal, so it's not a delay or anything. For the record though, Miura has maintained a pattern of releasing three episodes before taking a break since about September 2009. So, we're kinda due for one. Knock on wood, though!

See here for more: http://www.skullknight.net/images/eps.html

puella

Berserk forever
Here are a couple of things I'm wondering about:

puella said:
Boss: Look at the bottom of the darkness following the subtle light my brethren emit!
puella said:
Guts: We can see a dim light even inside of the body.
Guts: I didn't know squids were like that...

The "dim light" catches my attention. What part of its body is the source of the light? Could it play an important role soon? I feel that the way it's been repeatedly mentioned isn't fortuitous.

puella said:
Guts: Isn't it the perfect chance?
Schierke: Eh?

Guts: We can use it as a means to bring us upwards.

I don't understand how the gastric juice can bring them upwards. It's not like the gastric acid will fill more than half of the stomach, is it? Maybe I shouldn't relate it to human anatomy, or maybe the Sea God's afflicted with "acid reflex" or "excess gastric acid". :iva:

puella said:
The "dim light" catches my attention. What part of its body is the source of the light? Could it play an important role soon? I feel that the way it's been repeatedly mentioned isn't fortuitous.

Who knows, maybe the Sea God has some sort of internal bioluminescence? ;)

Walter said:
It's a giant, evil, sea monster who so far has said only one thing: "DOGOAAAAAAaaaaa!".

Well, we all know that's even not actual a word. Just a Japanese onomatopoeia for a roar or bellowing. Seeing how Sea God was able to communicate with our heroes (though indirectly), through his human tentacles (both the pirates and villagers) and using them as proxies to track and snoop after them, it's obvious that he's capable of understanding and utilizing human speech. It'd be very interesting to see in the future episodes if whether or not he's able to communicate with people directly, either via some form of telepathy or maybe even open, direct verbal speech.

Walter said:
I don't think it really needs a multi-layered agenda. It's likely just lining its stomach, like any other monster.

Walter said:
Yeah, it all makes sense now. Continental expansion -- the true agenda of the sea god.

You're making it seem as if Sea God is just a one big eating machine, a simple one dimensional creature with one-track track mind, even though what we've seen so far suggests otherwise. That he's more than that. He's a very cunning predator and his use of various intricate means of forcing Guts and Co. to come directly to him to his island also demonstrates his intelligence. And the large numbers of ships resting within his belly shows that he's already done that many times before.
And also, out of all places, why else has he chosen to appear on Isma's island, when the all the realms merged? Because that's the place where Sea God was still being remembered and known of, due to that island's inhabitants' geographic isolation from the mainland that had prevented them from coming under the influence of the Continental monotheistic faith. As depicted in episode 306, all those fantastical monsters and creatures that have appeared in physical world have all originated from imagination. In other words, these things will come out in real world only if the people themselves know or think about them. In places like Midland, Chuder or Vritannis, because the monotheism has been so firmly entrenched for so many centuries, beings like Sea God or any other mythological deities like him aren't just in the history's dustbin, but in that of human memories' as well. No one even knows about him in those nations anymore. And being a powerful deity that he is, I think that Sea God would certainly want all the people everywhere to fear and worship him once again, just like they used to in the ancient times. So I don't think that "EAT!!EAT!!I GOTTA EAT!!!" is the only thing that's on his mind. And even if I'm wrong about this, and that the Sea God really is only motivated to satisfy his hunger and doesn't care about making people bow down and kneel before him, I still think that he has a good reason to expand his reach (and reign of terror) towards the mainland. He has voided the fishing island of all human life already, so there's no more people left for him to eat there. Now, the island is only of use to him as a base from which he tracks down and hunts any seafarers who have been unfortunate or foolish enough to have gotten too close to his island and within his reach. And don't you think that if things keep going the way they do, people might eventually wisen up on him? You know, at some point in the future find out that whenever ships travel in certain direction and distance, they will disappear along with their passengers and crew. Or that there's a distant cursed island from which no one ever comes back. Obviously that would be bad for Sea God, if people start to stay very, very far away, and beyond his reach, from his island. If people were to learn to avoid crossing the entire area in the ocean that's in the proximity to that fishing island, for Sea God that would mean no more food coming his way. So of course, then he would have a good enough reason to be (or at least get close to) someplace where the food supply is in very plentiful amounts. Someplace like the Continent. The densely populated countries, like Midland, Vritannis or the Kushan nation would be very tempting targets for him. The island that he's currently on, that might merely be a starting point for him. I imagine, with each human that he eats, his power and reach only grows (via the constantly increasing number of tentacles). So maybe right now Sea God is gorging on enough humans to get his beard long enough to extend all the way to the Continent itself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
Who knows, maybe the Sea God has some sort of internal bioluminescence? ;)
Why the wink? It's not necessarily far off base. My first thought was something like an angler -- a subtle light in the darkness.

Seeing how Sea God was able to communicate with our heroes (though indirectly), through his human tentacles (both the pirates and villagers) and using them as proxies to track and snoop after them, it's obvious that he's capable of understanding and utilizing human speech.
Just because some of its appendages retained their human personalities doesn't mean the level of intelligence for the creature itself is very high, nor has any need or care for understanding human speech. Seems more likely that it absorbed these humans, and they've just inherited its task to search for food.

It'd be very interesting to see in the future episodes if whether or not he's able to communicate with people directly, either via some form of telepathy or maybe even open, direct verbal speech.
We've been saying this for about 5 episodes now, so welcome to the party. I think it'd be awesome if the Sea God turns out to be more than an oversized sea predator trying to line its stomach with meat, and even has some kind of conversation with Guts/Schierke. I personally am looking forward to that possibility. But the more we learn about the Sea God, the less inclined I am to believe that road is true. The way you're talking, it's a foregone conclusion that it's some kind of mastermind. It's not.

You're making it seem as if Sea God is just a one big eating machine, a simple one dimensional creature with one-track track mind, even though what we've seen so far suggests otherwise. That he's more than that. He's a very cunning predator and his use of various intricate means of forcing Guts and Co. to come directly to him to his island also demonstrates his intelligence. And the large numbers of ships resting within his belly shows that he's already done that many times before.
Exactly what cunning means did it use to FORCE Guts and Co. to dock on the island? Its initial attack on the Sea Horse failed, but Roderick suggested the ship should stop for repairs. The island was nearby. That's it. You think it was all a part of the master plan of the sea god to whittle down the ship's defenses so that they'd have to make a pit stop on that island? As for the large number of ships in its stomach, that just means it's eaten a bunch of ships over the years, which was no mystery. Isma said as much in previous eps. But eating ships doesn't require cunning or intelligence. It requires a big mouth and an appetite.

And also, out of all places, why else has he chosen to appear on Isma's island, when the all the realms merged? Because that's the place where Sea God was still being remembered and known of, due to that island's inhabitants' geographic isolation from the mainland that had prevented them from coming under the influence of the Continental monotheistic faith.
It "chose to appear" here because it was imprisoned there by the merrows. But sure, Schierke has already said as much about the Holy See's lack of influence.

In places like Midland, Chuder or Vritannis, because the monotheism has been so firmly entrenched for so many centuries, beings like Sea God or any other mythological deities like him aren't just in the history's dustbin, but in that of human memories' as well. No one even knows about him in those nations anymore. And being a powerful deity that he is, I think that Sea God would certainly want all the people everywhere to fear and worship him once again, just like they used to in the ancient times.
It's Tudor, not Chuder. And there's no need for a refresher, I'm familiar with Berserk lore. But I think it's pretty ridiculous to attempt to interpret the sea god's thoughts or "wants." For all we know, we're dealing with a powerful creature who was once worshiped as a god merely because of the fear it had driven into the local populace.

And don't you think that if things keep going the way they do, people might eventually wisen up on him? You know, at some point in the future find out that whenever ships travel in certain direction and distance, they will disappear along with their passengers and crew. Or that there's a distant cursed island from which no one ever comes back. Obviously that would be bad for Sea God, if people start to stay very, very far away, and beyond his reach, from his island. If people were to learn to avoid crossing the entire area in the ocean that's in the proximity to that fishing island, for Sea God that would mean no more food coming his way. So of course, then he would have a good enough reason to be (or at least get close to) someplace where the food supply is in very plentiful amounts. Someplace like the Continent.
If the ritual on the full moon turned out to be successful, I don't have many doubts that he'd probably move to where the food is. But again, none of this means that the Sea God is some kind of mastermind.

The densely populated countries, like Midland, Vritannis or the Kushan nation would be very tempting targets for him.
Really, Midland would be a tempting target? A country in the MIDDLE OF THE CONTINENT?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Señor Caudillo said:

That's because that may in fact be more or less what the Sea God is as far as the plot is concerned, and the numerous ships in its stomach don't exactly belie the notion. Not everyone can be like Ganishka.

Walter said:
Why the wink?

Because it's been a while since I've seen anyone use the classic, traditional emoticons on the SK.net forum 8)

Walter said:
It's not necessarily far off base. My first thought was something like an angler -- a subtle light in the darkness.

I also thought it was something like that. Or perhaps the inner lining of Sea God's internal organs is covered with glowing light emitting bacterias/fungi of some sort.

Walter said:
Just because some of its appendages retained their human personalities doesn't mean the level of intelligence for the creature itself is very high, nor has any need or care for understanding human speech. Seems more likely that it absorbed these humans, and they've just inherited its task to search for food.

Now wait a sec. All those humans who have become Sea God's tentacles are dead, as Schierke herself has stated. They're all nothing more than mindless and soulless puppets of Sea God. So there is no "personality" of any kind that they could've possibly retained. Whenever they speak, it's most likely that they're merely relaying what the Sea God wants them to. Like the Boss announcing the start of Sea God's ceremony or how those that are eaten by him become a part of him, I think that's Sea God himself letting our heroes know (via the Boss) just what exactly that he's got planned for them. And how about the tavern scene in episode 312, where Sea God's human tentacles are all smiles and casually friendly towards Guts and his friends at first. Could it be that Sea God attempting to make his potential prey calmed and soothed into being loosened up and lowering their alertness with the tentacles' pleasant behavior, with hopes of keeping their true faces hidden just long enough for Guts and Co. to be caught off-guard when they go into attack. Of course, with Guts being such a battle hardened fighter that he is, that didn't exactly work. But still, that attempted ruse points towards Sea God being intelligent, as well as having some form of understanding of the human behavior.

Walter said:
Exactly what cunning means did it use to FORCE Guts and Co. to dock on the island? Its initial attack on the Sea Horse failed, but Roderick suggested the ship should stop for repairs. The island was nearby. That's it. You think it was all a part of the master plan of the sea god to whittle down the ship's defenses so that they'd have to make a pit stop on that island? As for the large number of ships in its stomach, that just means it's eaten a bunch of ships over the years, which was no mystery. Isma said as much in previous eps. But eating ships doesn't require cunning or intelligence. It requires a big mouth and an appetite.

When he first attacked the Sea Horse, he dealt just enough damage to the ship to force it to make a stop at his island. If Sea God were to have sunk the ship outright right there then and drowned everyone on board, then he would've most likely lost his food. Or at least his tentacles couldn't have been able to fetch and eat up everyone who was drowning in the water. But by forcing all of the passengers to come to his island, got them all right where he wanted and all accounted for, to ensure that none of the prey will be lost. Again, this may be due to his appetite, and so he'd want to be able to devour and savor every single human that he can find.

Walter said:
It "chose to appear" here because it was imprisoned there by the merrows. But sure, Schierke has already said as much about the Holy See's lack of influence.

For all we know, the merrows could have sealed him up under the shores of Vritannis or in the lowest part of the bottom of Midland's Tower of Rebirth. But he still would have appeared on that fishing island when the worlds merged, because that's the place he was still remembered and known by the people. He only continued to exist in those villagers' imagination and memory, and not in that of the Midlanders' or Vritannians'. And as per laws of "Fantasia", that is the requirement for the mythical creatures to appear in the real world. They must exist in people's imagination first, before they can appear in front of them.

Walter said:
Really, Midland would be a tempting target? A country in the MIDDLE OF THE CONTINENT?

Well, if Sea God develops numerous and long enough tentacles, then yes, penetrating well into the interior of even landlocked nations like Midland would be quite possible for him.

Griffith said:
That's because that may in fact be more or less what the Sea God is as far as the plot is concerned, and the numerous ships in its stomach don't exactly belie the notion. Not everyone can be like Ganishka.

I gotta admit, after all the events that have occurred in the past few volumes, I did have come to have a higher expectation of the enemies that Guts has to encounter :p
But still, after having to wait almost a year and half for Sea God to even show his face, don't you also want him to be something more than what just meets the eye? More than "just another" monster for Guts to slay?

Griffith

Señor, it's one thing to have theories, it's another to arbitrarily reinterpret everything to fit them and band that about as fact like you did in your previous post. The specific nature of the Sea God and particularly its victims are still a gray area, so don't pretend otherwise because we won't tolerate the spread of possible misinformation.

Señor Caudillo said:
I gotta admit, after all the events that have occurred in the past few volumes, I did have come to have a higher expectation of the enemies that Guts has to encounter :p
But still, after having to wait almost a year and half for Sea God to even show his face, don't you also want him to be something more than what just meets the eye? More than "just another" monster for Guts to slay?

Not particularly, the time frame of episode releases doesn't matter, nor our arbitrary wants, and not every monster has to be bent on world domination to be worthy.

pinkyAndTheBrain.jpg

We already have like half a dozen evil masterminds in the story already, and like I said, not every great monster has to be one to be great. Whatever the Sea God's grand intentions may be, they're not going to matter if Guts kills it and moves on, which would be just fine with me. For all we know, like the trolls in Qliphoth before it, the Sea God itself may not even be the ultimate point of all this.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
They're all nothing more than mindless and soulless puppets of Sea God. So there is no "personality" of any kind that they could've possibly retained. Whenever they speak, it's most likely that they're merely relaying what the Sea God wants them to.
boss-bite2.jpg

Then why is the Sea God biting its own beard?

When he first attacked the Sea Horse, he dealt just enough damage to the ship to force it to make a stop at his island. If Sea God were to have sunk the ship outright right there then and drowned everyone on board, then he would've most likely lost his food. Or at least his tentacles couldn't have been able to fetch and eat up everyone who was drowning in the water. But by forcing all of the passengers to come to his island, got them all right where he wanted and all accounted for, to ensure that none of the prey will be lost. Again, this may be due to his appetite, and so he'd want to be able to devour and savor every single human that he can find.
It's amazing how much thought you put into such an erroneous idea. The attack on the Sea Horse failed -- straight up failed. It was attempting to devour everyone on the ship. It was unsuccessful. And why would the GOD OF THE SEA have a problem dragging up humans in the ocean? Either way, there was no luring.

For all we know, the merrows could have sealed him up under the shores of Vritannis or in the lowest part of the bottom of Midland's Tower of Rebirth.
Why the hell would the sea god have been imprisoned by merrows at the center of a landlocked country? This is completely ridiculous.

But he still would have appeared on that fishing island when the worlds merged, because that's the place he was still remembered and known by the people. He only continued to exist in those villagers' imagination and memory, and not in that of the Midlanders' or Vritannians'. And as per laws of "Fantasia", that is the requirement for the mythical creatures to appear in the real world. They must exist in people's imagination first, before they can appear in front of them.
Could I have a copy of these laws? I've never seen them written out so formally as you imply.

Well, if Sea God develops numerous and long enough tentacles, then yes, penetrating well into the interior of even landlocked nations like Midland would be quite possible for him.
Cut the bullshit, please. You're wasting everyone's time.

That's no excuse to ignore the evidence in front of you and start fabricating an alternate story based on your whims.

puella said:
Here are a couple of things I'm wondering about:

I don't understand how the gastric juice can bring them upwards. It's not like the gastric acid will fill more than half of the stomach, is it? Maybe I shouldn't relate it to human anatomy, or maybe the Sea God's afflicted with "acid reflex" or "excess gastric acid". :iva:

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. Only thought I came up with was maybe enough gastric acid will collect to raise the ships up? I'm not saying to fill up the whole stomach, but enough for him to do a "super jump" of some sort? :ganishka:

Or, hey, if that fails, maybe he'll just toss the ships on top of one another and make a big-ass ladder. If he can manage a main mast on his own, then why not the rest of the ship? :troll:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Chaos said:
Only thought I came up with was maybe enough gastric acid will collect to raise the ships up?

My thoughts exactly. I think he's going to do his best to stay on top of the ships (while simultaneously killing the parasites) and wait for the acid to raise them up. Hopefully, the vessels don't disintegrate before they get high enough. Even Guts wouldn't survive in that acid for very long.

We shouldn't think of the acid in terms of human gastric acid. Maybe the Sea God's biological set up is like the Sarlaac, where Guts "will slowly be digested over a thousand years." :rakshas:

Either way, Guts can't be gettin' wet in there.
2712111934_aef854d196.jpg

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I have a feeling the acid will only destroy what is only organic in his belly. If these ships were there since long time, I think they'll still be fine for the "rising acid" coming up...

Walter said:
Then why is the Sea God biting its own beard?

Um... because that is merely a comic relief/visual gag that Miura's been employing on pirate boss and his crew since the beginning of their appearance in the series? So how's that an evidence that the human tentacles, who are by all means dead already, still have minds of their own? In this episode the Boss also remarked how the Sea God will crap Guts out the next morning, after seeing him jump into its open mouth. Is that what really happens to people if they're eaten by Sea God? Of course not, they'll just become his new tentacles. But obviously saying that wouldn't sound as nearly as coarse and brash as the pirates' way of talking is expected to be. Those are probably just some quirks that Miura has added specifically for the pirates and their Boss in order to make them stand out from the rest of the Sea God's tentacles.

Walter said:
Why the hell would the sea god have been imprisoned by merrows at the center of a landlocked country?

I was just trying to make a point on how even if Sea God was imprisoned anywhere on the face of the Earth, including even Midland, he would still have appeared in just one place after the worlds' merging -- that fishing island because that's where he had still existed within the people's imagination and memory. That's all. Of course I'm aware that the merrows being sea dwelling beings they are, couldn't possibly do anything, let alone imprison a gigantic monster, in a dry land that is well outside their oceanic habitat.

Walter said:
Could I have a copy of these laws? I've never seen them written out so formally as you imply.

There was no formality implied in my post. In the episode 306 it's clearly stated how now that the all realms have merged, all the magical creatures that exist in human imagination will come to life in real world. This clearly and plainly implies that those said creatures that exist within human minds are gonna appear in the living realm, while those that don't -- will not. Say, if that nine-headed Hydra from ep 306 didn't exist in the imaginations of people of whatever land that it has appeared in, then it wouldn't have appeared there. But if the people somewhere else believed in it, the Hydra instead would've simply shown up in that some other location. But if no person in the world knew or imagined about Hydras, then it wouldn't ever appeared anywhere in the living realm. Ditto for Sea God. He was forgotten about everywhere else in the world due to Holy See's influence, except by Isma's fellow villagers on that island due to being isolated from the rest of the world. Hence, why he appeared on that island.

Walter said:
Cut the bullshit, please. You're wasting everyone's time.

Since the Sea God is a part of an ancient polytheistic pantheon of entities that the world once worshiped before the existence of Holy See and its monotheism (as Schierke herself has said), then it can be speculated that this polytheistic worship must've been followed all corners of the world, including even in the landlocked countries like Midland. If that's the case, then once upon a time in the antiquity, Sea God must have had his reach extend into anyplace in the world where food was available.

jackson_hurley said:
I have a feeling the acid will only destroy what is only organic in his belly. If these ships were there since long time, I think they'll still be fine for the "rising acid" coming up...

I don't think that's true. When the Sea God's stomach acid came pouring down on the ship graveyard, you can clearly see several ships having large gaping holes burnt through them as they are being splashed by acid. The "Za Za Za" katakana SFX that you see there represent the onomatopoeia for a loud hissing noise that is being emitted by the stomach acid as it scorches the ships' surfaces. The corrosive power of Sea God's stomach acid can somewhat be compared to the acidic blood of the titular monster from "Alien", as it also melted through any material such as wood, plastic or steel. Those ships that appeared in Sea God's stomach are the ones that haven't been dissolved yet during the digestion process. Besides if Sea God's gastric acid couldn't disintegrate inorganic materials, Guts as he's fully covered by the Berserker armor, wouldn't have any problems then. But it's clearly isn't the case, as he can be seen avoiding getting hit with the acid.

I don't see why you can't understand the biting and pirate remarks are signs of them retaining some of their personality instead of "gags by Miura"? Like what the hell? Gotta hand it to you sticking by your theories though, im almost hoping they come true now :p

I for one think that the pirates have certainly retained their personalities. I also believe that the sea god has been busy eating a lot of stuff from the sea, and those ships might have been there less than 48 hours.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
Um... because that is merely a comic relief/visual gag that Miura's been employing on pirate boss and his crew since the beginning of their appearance? So how's that an evidence that the human tentacles, who are by all means dead already, still have minds of their own? In this episode the Boss also remarked how the Sea God will crap Guts out the next morning, after seeing him jump into its open mouth. Is that what really happens to people if they're eaten by Sea God? Of course not, they'll just become his new tentacles. But obviously saying that wouldn't sound as nearly as coarse and brash when spoken by a pirate. Those are probably just some quirks that Miura has added specifically for the pirates and their Boss in order to make them stand out from the rest of the Sea God's tentacles.
Hahaha, Wow! I'm genuinely amazed at the tenacity of your erroneous beliefs. You look at evidence in front of you, don't like it, and twist what's there into whatever shape you'd prefer it to be. Reminds me of Griffith after his talk with the Idea of Evil, only instead of being awesome, it's stupid.

So, let's review real quick. You believe that any individual personality that's displayed by the boss or his minions is merely the Sea God emulating them himself, including any lines said under the breath of the minions to each other, for the purposes of ... a gag for readers. Whereas the rest of us, admins included, believe that after the sea god incorporates these humans into his body, they retain some of their individual characteristics, as evidenced many times over by the boss and his minions. Do I have this correct?

I was just trying to make a point on how even if Sea God was imprisoned anywhere on the face of the Earth, including even Midland, he would still have appeared in just one place
Your ridiculous point failed.

There was no formality implied in my post. In the episode 306 it's clearly stated how now that the all realms have merged, all the magical creatures that exist in human imagination will come to life in real world. This clearly and plainly implies that those said creatures that exist within human minds are gonna appear in the living realm, while those that don't -- don't. Say, if that nine-headed Hydra from ep 306 didn't exist in the imaginations of people of whatever land that it has appeared in, then it wouldn't have appeared there. But if the people somewhere else believed in it, the Hydra instead would've simply shown up in that some other location. But if no one in the world knew or imagined about Hydras, then it would've never entered the real world. Ditto for Sea God. He was forgotten about everywhere else in the world due to Holy See's influence, except by Isma's fellow villagers on that island due to being isolated from the rest of the world. Hence, why he appeared on that island.
Here's the big problem with your reasoning: you're pretending to know what you're talking about. The brief line you're referring to in Ep 306 is not an all-inclusive statement about how the astral world works. It simply means that the world hidden to humans, but believed in for centuries, has become unhidden. You're reading way too much into the specifics of the line.

First of all, the physical and astral worlds overlap, so it's erroneous to say that creatures appeared in the exact location that people believed in them. There's no evidence of that. But the larger point is that we don't know the origin of all the creatures in the astral world. Sure, many of those creatures were from human legend, but you can't lump them all into that category, because they don't all fit. What we do know is that they are not all creations of the human mind. Just to name a few, ghosts and the God Hand, both of which appeared in Ep 306, are not creations of the human mind. It kind of goes without saying that the four kings, who govern the elements, aren't creations of the human mind either, but again, when you're talking about the creatures of the astral world, there are very few hard and fast rules that explain everything.

Since the Sea God is a part of an ancient polytheistic pantheon of entities that the world once worshiped before the existence of Holy See and its monotheism (as Schierke herself has said), then it can be speculated that this polytheistic worship must've been followed all corners of the world, including even in the landlocked countries like Midland. If that's the case, then once upon a time in the antiquity, Sea God must have had his reach extend into anyplace in the world where food was available.
All over the world? No, that's not what Schierke said. She said ancient gods were forgotten because the Holy See's doctrine had spread all over the world. The sea god's statue is a remnant because the Holy See hadn't spread there. That's all. It doesn't mean there were similar sea god statues ALL OVER THE WORLD. It just means that every local podunk had their own local "gods" back then, but they were erased by the Holy See. This one survived because it's on a distant island.

Griffith

Señor Caudillo said:
Um... because that is merely a comic relief/visual gag that Miura's been employing on pirate boss and his crew since the beginning of their appearance? So how's that an evidence that the human tentacles, who are by all means dead already, still have minds of their own? In this episode the Boss also remarked how the Sea God will crap Guts out the next morning, after seeing him jump into its open mouth. Is that what really happens to people if they're eaten by Sea God? Of course not, they'll just become his new tentacles. But obviously saying that wouldn't sound as nearly as coarse and brash as the pirates' way of talking is expected to be. Those are probably just some quirks that Miura has added specifically for the pirates and their Boss in order to make them stand out from the rest of the Sea God's tentacles.

:badbone: Now Let's really break this down:

Señor Caudillo said:
Um... because that is merely a comic relief/visual gag that Miura's been employing on pirate boss and his crew since the beginning of their appearance? So how's that an evidence that the human tentacles, who are by all means dead already, still have minds of their own?
Señor Caudillo said:
In this episode the Boss also remarked how the Sea God will crap Guts out the next morning, after seeing him jump into its open mouth. Is that what really happens to people if they're eaten by Sea God? Of course not, they'll just become his new tentacles. But obviously saying that wouldn't sound as nearly as coarse and brash as the pirates' way of talking is expected to be. Those are probably just some quirks that Miura has added specifically for the pirates and their Boss in order to make them stand out from the rest of the Sea God's tentacles.

:badbone: Enhance:

Señor Caudillo said:
So how's that an evidence that the human tentacles, who are by all means dead already, still have minds of their own?
Señor Caudillo said:
But obviously saying that wouldn't sound as nearly as coarse and brash as the pirates' way of talking is expected to be. Those are probably just some quirks that Miura has added specifically for the pirates and their Boss in order to make them stand out from the rest of the Sea God's tentacles.

:badbone: Enhance:

Señor Caudillo said:
evidence that the human tentacles... still have minds of their own?
Señor Caudillo said:
the pirates' way of talking... quirks that Miura has added specifically for the pirates and their Boss

:magni:

Draculoid said:
I don't see why you can't understand the biting and pirate remarks are signs of them retaining some of their personality instead of "gags by Miura"? Like what the hell? Gotta hand it to you sticking by your theories though, im almost hoping they come true now :p

Yes, his commitment to confusion is becoming infamous, we might have to start calling him Señor Xechnao. I don't even think what he's saying is so bad in theory, but practically speaking it's technical over-thinking despite the reality in front of our eyes (the pirates are still the pirates, but in a new paradigm: the pirates + the Sea God =). More basically, what he proposes is a departure from the standard established in the series, so there's no validity to it as a default interpretation. Anyway, it's not like these are mutually exclusive concepts; the pirates can be appendages of the Sea God while retaining parts of their personalities.

Jaze1618 said:
I for one think that the pirates have certainly retained their personalities.

That would only be consistent with most precedent concerning humans becoming possessed, undead, or spawn.

I think that's enough for me, making all these arguments about Sea God and trying to delve into his background (which obviously has yet to even be given). I'll just do it like everyone else, and wait until future episodes are released to see if there's gonna be more light shed on Sea God :)

Griffith

Señor Caudillo said:
I think that's enough for me, making all these arguments about Sea God and trying to delve into his background (which obviously has yet to even be given). I'll just do it like everyone else, and wait until future episodes are released to see if there's gonna be more light shed on Sea God :)

Something's different... oh no, he's been possessed by the Sea God! He was right all along! :magni:

Señor Caudillo said:

I'm sorry, but you are really making a stretch here in pretending you know the true motives of the Sea God. Also, I don't see why you think the Sea God would need to bring them to the island in order to feed on them and turn them into tentacles. The Pirates (in human form) never made it to the island, and we all know what happened to them.

yesmilord

千年王国
Not sure if this has been mentioned before (and it's not really relevant), but I thought I'd share a World of Warcraft resemblance :troll:

Yogg-Saron (below), just happens to be an Old God too. Cross-dimensional brothers?

Yogg-Saron.jpg

Yogg-Saron_Dungeon_Companion.jpg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Well, the Old Gods in World of Warcraft are themselves based on the Great Old Ones of the Cthulhu Mythos created by H.P. Lovecraft. The similarities between the Sea God and Yogg-Saron are cool but coincidental.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think comparing the sea god to anything right now is a little short-sighted, considering that all we've seen thus far are its huge mouth and beard. Its body could have even more eccentricities.

Top Bottom