Game of Thrones TV [spoilers]

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Some interesting casting choices, some baffling. Isn't Brienne supposed to not be pretty?

Overall though I think the casting suffers from typical HBO fantasy casting, in that everyone has to be good looking.

Walter said:
Some interesting casting choices, some baffling. Isn't Brienne supposed to not be pretty?

Overall though I think the casting suffers from typical HBO fantasy casting, in that everyone has to be good looking.

Gemma Whelans not the best looking gal in the world. She looks fugly in the new trailer.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:

The first season didn't suffer from that. The cast was damn near perfect. Besides just because someone is beautiful doesn't mean they can downgrade their appearance to fit the character. In fact, some of the best performances are when a beautiful actor or actress make themselves less glamorous. The first season had that as well. Look at Sam, or that wilding women who is held captive. Idk, I don't think its "typical HBO casting".

Well, I'm late to the party as always.

I blew through the entire first season this weekend. In short, it was fuck-awesome.

Acting was solid and the production values really took me by surprise. I'm so glad I didn't read this thread before purchasing. Bought it on pure whim.

I was so convinced I heard a spoiler:
That the imp died in this season. Was so hoping he wouldn't and he didn't! But 006 did and that bummed me out.
:judo:

Season 2 April 1!

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Proj2501 said:
That the imp died in this season. Was so hoping he wouldn't and he didn't! But 006 did and that bummed me out.
:judo:
For us that did not read the source, it came as a surprise. I kept telling myself "Nah, their not gonna kill him! He's their promotional marketing fa.... WHAT?! Aaawww Hell NaH! Lord of the Rings!!! Lord of the Rings! 006!" You get the point. I'm on the 3rd book, and though it is more intense than the series, I am a fan of the HBO adaptation. And I envy those who see the entire season in a sitting. I swallowed Battlestar Galactica last year in a weekend and it was the best.

Proj2501 said:
Well, I'm late to the party as always.

I blew through the entire first season this weekend. In short, it was fuck-awesome.
I'm always playing catch-up as well, marathon for this is do-able and builds from good to better to really good.

Nomad, I've been meaning to do a BSG re-watch in HD this time because I watched it all pixel~y online quick quick *sigh* ... but it took you just a week?! DUDE, that's uuuhhh whoa.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
IncantatioN said:
I'm always playing catch-up as well, marathon for this is do-able and builds from good to better to really good.

Nomad, I've been meaning to do a BSG re-watch in HD this time because I watched it all pixel~y online quick quick *sigh* ... but it took you just a week?! DUDE, that's uuuhhh whoa.
I lost my job, I wasn't interested with the series at all. I had like 9 different people harassing me to watch it because I had the time... Soooo, magic happened. I don't want to make this a BSG thread, but seeing the whole series in a row was pure awesome. Loved the series, LOVED the soundtracks and I found that watching a series entirely like that relieving all kinds of speculations does give an impact in the experience overall. But don't get me wrong... This is a new development, I rarely watch television series. In fact, I didn't watch any at all. But it opened my eyes to watch a few these days. Spartacus, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc.

All I can hope if for the production team to pull Game of Thrones in it's entire content. This is a very expensive production budget, and HBO already got rid of 3-4 of their shows.

Agreed on the excitement or novelty of watching something in 1-go. Off-late I haven't been able to keep up with a few anime series as I'd have liked on a weekly basis and wait for it to finish for a weekend marathon. With TV series I'm always playing catch-up and your post reminded me of picking up Spartacus to watch! With the next episode of WD, it'll finish the season and I'll do a marathon of it.

*feeling guilty of the de-rail* Coming back to Game Of Thrones, there was a new trailer titled Price Of Our Sins on the 17th -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwaF0D8LrzQ

Character profiles for Robb Stark and Stannis, respectively -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NApAtmugS1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VARwvVJxnYw&feature=player_embedded

Oburi

All praise Grail
As someone who isn't reading the books when I read Proj's spoiler I almost got pissed until I read it carefully and realized what you meant. Basically I'd just like reiterate that this thread is for the TV show so people that have read the books shouldn't post about stuff that hasn't happened in the series yet.

Also I prefer watching the episodes weekly as opposed to marathoning them. Gives me something to look forward too each week. Although after buying the dvd set, i did marathon about 3/4 episodes :guts: Also the commentaries were great, including one by the G.R.R. Martin himself. He really loves what they have done with his work.

Also as for HBO, it's true they cancelled like three shows as well as Luck which had just premiered a few months ago. Something to do with the horses dying on set. Oh well, more money for GOT.

Oburi said:
As someone who isn't reading the books when I read Proj's spoiler I almost got pissed until I read it carefully and realized what you meant. Basically I'd just like reiterate that this thread is for the TV show so people that have read the books shouldn't post about stuff that hasn't happened in the series yet.

Also I prefer watching the episodes weekly as opposed to marathoning them. Gives me something to look forward too each week. Although after buying the dvd set, i did marathon about 3/4 episodes :guts: Also the commentaries were great, including one by the G.R.R. Martin himself. He really loves what they have done with his work.

Also as for HBO, it's true they cancelled like three shows as well as Luck which had just premiered a few months ago. Something to do with the horses dying on set. Oh well, more money for GOT.

Sorry...?

I understand how those who read all the books may have a gripe here and there. As for me, HBO hasn't done it for me in sometime. True Blood is Twilight's cousin and I can't do it. Boardwalk, meh. I did watch all of Big Love and wish I didn't. The Sopranos (yeah I'm going back) was good then got bad fast. Oz was great but series finale was beat. So GoT, I really expected jack. I got it so cheap at FYE, $30 with a gift card.

It may not be perfect, but perhaps why it's still glimmering in my mind right now is because I was taken by such pleasant surprise. I've really spoiled myself the last few months with marathon after marathon of all the great shows of late. :) and :(

Oburi

All praise Grail
Proj2501 said:
Sorry...?

I understand how those who read all the books may have a gripe here and there. As for me, HBO hasn't done it for me in sometime. True Blood is Twilight's cousin and I can't do it. Boardwalk, meh. I did watch all of Big Love and wish I didn't. The Sopranos (yeah I'm going back) was good then got bad fast. Oz was great but series finale was beat. So GoT, I really expected jack. I got it so cheap at FYE, $30 with a gift card.

It may not be perfect, but perhaps why it's still glimmering in my mind right now is because I was taken by such pleasant surprise. I've really spoiled myself the last few months with marathon after marathon of all the great shows of late. :) and :(

I love HBO. Don't forget about Curb your Enthusiasm, entourage, Flight Of the Conchords, Band of Brothers, Rome, Deadwood, Real Time and all their documentaries and stand up specials. I hate to sound like promoter or something but imho they have the best original programming. Oh and that autopsy show was great too.

Oburi said:
Curb your Enthusiasm
Ok.
Oburi said:
Entourage
Yuck.
Oburi said:
Flight Of the Conchords
Not an HBO creation, IMO. The show was good but you could tell the 2nd season was forced and unnatural.
Oburi said:
Band of Brothers
Ok.
Oburi said:
Rome, Deadwood,
Never saw either to be honest.
Oburi said:
Real Time
Used to love it, then I'm not sure what happened. Maher began to get on my nerves. I get it, you love Obama.
Oburi said:
I love HBO.
I can tell. :slan:

I'm currently re-wathing GoT with my father. Having to explain things constantly to him makes me understand who's who and what's what even better. :ganishka:

Edit: Fucking love this: http://tyrionpimp.ytmnd.com/

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I watched it as well, although I question some of the changes that were made, such as
Joffery being the one to order the killing of Robert's bastards and Littlefinger directly insulting Cersei like that
. In any case, it was really nice to see Dragonstone, although I swore that the actor playing Davos was Stannis when I first saw him... it fit almost too perfectly.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I haven't read the books so I don't how it was before(nor do I), but I rather enjoyed those scenes, despite not being in the characters best interests. I do think they could have opened the episode better though. It felt like a middle episode rather than an opener.

Dar Klink said:
I swore that the actor playing Davos was Stannis when I first saw him... it fit almost too perfectly.
I'm surprised you say that, that's exactly how i felt when i watched it.

Dar Klink said:
I watched it as well, although I question some of the changes that were made, such as
Joffery being the one to order the killing of Robert's bastards and Littlefinger directly insulting Cersei like that
. In any case, it was really nice to see Dragonstone, although I swore that the actor playing Davos was Stannis when I first saw him... it fit almost too perfectly.

Yeah I don't understand why Littlefinger said that. What did he have to gain? Should be smarter than that. Also I thought the actor playing Davos looked eerily like Jean Reno??

My first impressions: even more rushed than the first episode of the first season. A lot of ground to cover in too little time. They were cutting POV's every couple of minutes. Also the episode should have been a good 5-6 minutes longer. It ran from about 9:02 to 9:55. And... they don't need to show the
comet
in every other scene..

H

hellrasinbrasin

Considering the volume of back and forth there will be between the 4 different stories this season frankencowx I'd get accustomed to this season's pov hot potato real quick.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I'm also one of those who pictured Stannis and Davos's appearances flip-flopped in the books, but I've gotten used to them from all the advertising and promos. After seeing their performances in this first episode, I'm already sold. They've got the personalities down in my opinion.

It all felt very rushed, but I think non-readers will be so absorbed they will rewatch everything again and again until they understand it all, like they did with Season 1. And I liked the comet transitions :badbone:

Comet transitions were fine by me too. I watched it last night and it was pretty decent overall. Some lines were delivered with no weight on them but that's over-critiquing. Overall I liked the episode and it briefly touched on what was going on with every group introduced in the GOT's world.

hellrasinbrasin said:
Considering the volume of back and forth there will be between the 4 different stories this season frankencowx I'd get accustomed to this season's pov hot potato real quick.

Right. And as such I'm really feeling the limitations of the hour block this time around. A 2 hour season premier would have helped.

frankencowx said:
My first impressions: even more rushed than the first episode of the first season. A lot of ground to cover in too little time. They were cutting POV's every couple of minutes.

I felt the same way. I watch this with my dad, and neither of us were able to really keep up, but we both liked it. Fortunately someone gets stabbed frequent enough for us to forget we didn't really catch what was said.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Its to be expected this would start sooner or later on Game of Thrones as A Clash of Kings has multiple POV it would stand to reason this season would as well. Not that I'm complaining I love a show that demands full attention.

StarKodama said:
Episode 2 has leaked and is on the internetz. It's fantastic. A big improvement over episode 1, imho. :ubik:
Aahhh ... I did see that available and didn't click to watch or download it since I presumed it to be fake. Will check out then, with caution hah.

Top Bottom