Game of Thrones TV [spoilers]

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I really wish the series kept up the quality we got in season 1. We don't need these added and changed female characters! I really hate how Littlefinger just blurts out all of his plans in the show while twirling his metaphorical mustache.

I agree that the Tyrion/Tywin scene was the best in the episode, I can't wait for some Jaime and Brienne fun.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I thought the first episode was fantastic. Even the actual filming and editing I felt was better. Even with such a high budget, in the past there were times when the show got a bit too... soap opera-y. I noticed this episode had some very interesting shots and camera angles which added a much more cinematic feel. I was loving every second of it.

Id have to agree though, best scene was Tyrion and Tywin. Two amazing actors just eating it up. And ill also agree that the most cringworthy scene was when Rose and the other chick had a little back and forth (and I haven't read the books). They don't have the acting chops on the same standard as ... well almost everyone else. At least the scene was short.

Much better episode in the sense it was a lot more enjoyable than the first and surprise, no nudity was needed *joking* :rakshas:. I liked how they covered what was going on in most individual stories. Very curious about Jojen and what he meant. Good cliffhangers for what the next episode will have in store for Arya-n-group and Brienne-Jaime stories. Sorry for the multiple edits, just remembering things as I type =p

IncantatioN said:
Much better episode in the sense it was a lot more enjoyable than the first and surprise, no nudity was needed *joking*

They really don't have time for nudity with the amount of characters and plots they have to fudge into 55 minutes. I thought the second episode was pretty bad. Kind of like the latest book. Absolutely nothing happened.

Dar_Klink

Like usual they rush through the scenes actually from the book and then meander around on their tv-original content. Does anybody even like Shae in the tv show? In the books she was simply a whore that was there during Tyrion's point of views and well... acted like a whore who wanted money. They're trying to turn her into some important character in the show, which is making me like her even less than her pretty annoying/hatable character in the books.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I'd read from a couple early reviewers that Catelyn's monologue was a "character assassination." Once again, I find myself at odds with book purists, while loving the books myself.
I though the speech was moving, and conveyed exactly what I'd expect as a viewer: That Cat hated Jon's existence passionately, yet felt regret as the fate of her family became more and more dire. Has she been changed a bit from the books? Absolutely. But frankly Book Cat is so boring and detestable, I'm glad. This is an improvement.

Loving the Reeds and Thoros. I wonder if non-readers will change their opinion on Theon as the story moves forward...I definitely did.

1 episode short of being current with the series. Watched episodes 3 and 4 back to back last night with a fellow SKNeter. That Jaime-Brienne relationship is interesting to see grow, maybe they'd get closer later on I don't know. Margaery manipulating Joffrey, the whole incident of deceit with Theon was brilliant (didn't see that coming), Redwyne's witty chat with Varys and every scene that Tywin was in was cool. Question - in the beginning of episode 4, is that Jon Snow's direwolf Sam sees? What's the direwolf doing there?

Dar_Klink

The last episode was really good I thought. I liked the Hound vs Beric fight and most of the dialogue. Still though, Robb's show original wife just makes me cringe every time she shows up. Other than that though, I was happy with it.

IncantatioN said:
Question - in the beginning of episode 4, is that Jon Snow's direwolf Sam sees? What's the direwolf doing there?
Apparently it is. In the book Ghost is with Jon the whole time and there's some important plot points concerning him. Kinda minor spoilers, but it shouldn't really ruin anything for show-only folks:
After Jon learns about warging because of that guy with the eagle, he starts to be able to do it with Ghost the same way Bran can with his direwolf.
I might have it a bit mixed up, but yeah, Ghost is supposed to be with Jon for sure, I have no idea why they have him with Sam.

Ghost (!! wasn't a 100% sure that was Jon's direwolf's name but was different than the other names I remember, lucky guess). Thanks for clearing that up, Klink. It seemed a bit odd to see Jon's direwolf sort of hanging out there. He saved Sam few episodes ago.

BUMP

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/new-game-of-thrones-book-_n_3200498.html

George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones-series fans will either be angry or overjoyed at HarperCollins' recent announcement: the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' author will be coming out with a new book in December, The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister.

HarperCollins confirmed this last night at their showcase of fall book titles.

The new book will apparently be a compilation of Martin's favorite of the beloved character's witty musings. Our own favorite (we even shared it on our Facebook page): "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge."

For those of you who are only vaguely familiar with the series, Tyrion Lannister, who is played by Peter Dinklage in the HBO adaptation, is the youngest of the super wealthy Lannisters. He is constantly criticized and belittled by his family, yet he is by far the nicest and most empathetic of them.

George R.R. Martin fans tend to get pretty upset when he's doing anything other than writing the next book, The Winds of Winter, in his popular series. One person called this new endeavor "the equivalent of a Christmas album."

However, seeing as Tyrion says so many hilarious, charming, smart things, considering how popular he is, and as George R.R. Martin may use the opportunity to add further insight to his character and perhaps the series in this upcoming book, we can see fans going either way.

Thanks for pointing me to the right place, Walter.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I know for the ones who have read the book this new episode wasn't a surprise. Maybe the way it was executed was. I saw a bunch of articles and tweets that were so shocked at
Robb's death
. I was too, but not to the point of those hardcore fans if the show. Waiting for the season finale next week.

TheBranded1 said:
I know for the ones who have read the book this new episode wasn't a surprise. Maybe the way it was executed was. I saw a bunch of articles and tweets that were so shocked at
Robb's death
. I was too, but not to the point of those hardcore fans if the show. Waiting for the season finale next week.
I loved it. I attend a GoT night where some friends watch the latest episode an I was the only one there to have read the books. The moment the doors closed and Rains of Castamere started playing I started chuckling like a madman. Then it started.

Oh man I have never had so many people simultaneously hating me and loving me at the same time. Especially because I had spent the last 2 seasons doing my best to make them all love Robb as a character.

One thing I wish they showed more of though was Guest Right. In the books she forces Frey to give them guest right before they ever set foot in his castle again and it explains/shows just how big a deal this is. The man broke thousands of years worth of tradition for this but in the show they barely explain it at all. They also have given no history behind the Rains of Castamere song. :judo: I had to explain that song to everyone there.

Being someone who never read the books, I was not expecting that moment in this week's episode of GOT. It's amazing how well carried out The Red Wedding was and seeing characters we knew over a certain period of time eventually suffer a horrible and terrible demise and at the same time it was tragic seeing that scene in that it leaves such an impact which is what I was hoping it would do.

Having stuck with the show for quite some time it really is getting worse to see so many characters get picked off one by one but at the same time it is getting better over the course of each season that it is interesting to see what happens next.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's very interesting to read all the reactions to the Red Wedding.
I've never quite understood Robb supporters. The way the circumstance is portrayed in the books is that while the massacre was of course violent and obscene, Robb and his little boy crusade were long overdue for a dark consequence. He also blindly trusted the Freys, after pissing on them earlier. He was a stupid, arrogant and brash leader who marched his people into an obvious trap.

Also, it's not as if his army ever accomplished anything... :schierke: And the massacre is actually a vast improvement for some characters.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
It's very interesting to read all the reactions to the Red Wedding.
I've never quite understood Robb supporters. The way the circumstance is portrayed in the books is that while the massacre was of course violent and obscene, Robb and his little boy crusade were long overdue for a dark consequence. He also blindly trusted the Freys, after pissing on them earlier. He was a stupid, arrogant and brash leader who marched his people into an obvious trap.

Also, it's not as if his army ever accomplished anything... :schierke: And the massacre is actually a vast improvement for some characters.

I agree, 100%.

I'm caught up to episode 8, one more to watch before I get fully current! This last episode had everyone talking on blogs/ Facebook and what not, so I'm super curious.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
I'm caught up to episode 8, one more to watch before I get fully current! This last episode had everyone talking on blogs/ Facebook and what not, so I'm super curious.

It was mainly people who are foolish enough to root for characters in a series that's plagued with character deaths.

Didn't they learn better from what's happened before like Pappa Stark, Luwin, or the old Bear ... #sigh# now I know what to expect. I'd imagine someone important dying like Catelyn or Rob or Brianne (HOPE NOT) or Arya seeing as there's so much public out-cry over the whole episode.

A little nugget from the GOT panel at Comic Con. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pSSz_qfTog

More Tywin Lannister is always welcome. :ubik:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I watched the whole series in the last few weeks, with some unfortunate foreknowledge (let's just say nothing at the end of season 3 shocked me). As a matter of fact, I agree with Walter that it was just deserts and couldn't wait for it to happen. Anyway, I enjoyed the show, and easily get into all the intrigue and fighting for the throne, but... it didn't ever blow me away. Incredible production values for television, but otherwise not a transcendent television show. I feel like it meanders too much, forgets about its more interesting characters for too long at a time, and really, nothing much actually happens. There's always a lot of talk about shaking things up, and big things coming, but I can only watch the Mother of Dragons spend an entire season passing through yet another desert city a thousand miles from Westeros so many times, and the white walkers, teased first thing in episode 1, arrived in force a season ago and then... they're still coming! FOR REAL NEXT TIME! :magni:

JoeZeon said:
More Tywin Lannister is always welcome. :ubik:

Agreed. More Lannisters, with the exception of Joffrey, in general.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
I feel like it meanders too much, forgets about its more interesting characters for too long at a time, and really, nothing much actually happens.
That's the entire series in a nutshell. Very astutely put.

Since the series are that slow paced and as Griffith mentioned that show often forgets about characters for a long time and when they show up nothing much actually happens. I got myself the books to read at work and damn. Those are different breed,though to remember ALL the characters who tend to show up from time to time and interwine with other character sections,I made a notebook with their names and short descriptions -_- ..while the 4th season only premieres next year,books are best way to keep yourself immersed also as usually a lot of cool stuff are cut in tv series and dialogues in books is often more clever and richer which makes it more appealing.

IncantatioN said:
Reeeeeal short teaser for season 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0_fFzG1H8w

Joffrey and Tywin are my favorite characters so far.

Tywin is my favorite character, but Joffrey TOO?! That sniveling, cowardly, bratty, psychopathic moronic piece of shit?!

Top Bottom