The Witcher 2

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Didn't see a thread for this game; decreed it necessary to make one :badbone:

I'll be blunt. I'm still trying to finish the first game. The combat is a little odd and there are some rather annoying glitches and poor lines of dialogue here and there, but everything else is fantastic (Especially in the "enhanced edition" they reissued that fixes a lot of problems.) I've been keeping up with the news on the sequel, and so many of my problems with the first one have already been directly addressed by the developers. Add onto that some actually interesting and morally ambiguous decisions that might affect the ending, and you have a winner of a game. In other words; lots of promises and high expectations. Let's hope they come true.

Oh, and this little gem dropped today: http://www.neoseeker.com/news/16439-all-witcher-2-dlc-will-be-free/ Free DLC? What is this, 2006?

If it turns out as good as it looks, The Witcher 2 will make up for the travesty that was Dragon Age 2 for me. I don't know what's been going on at BioWare lately, but it's rubbing me the wrong way. Mostly the "I don't feel I should be spending this much money on something so mediocre" way. Anyone else have similar thoughts/excitement?

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Your Bioware isn't the same dude you used to hang out with. :judo:

I didn't know they owned GOG. Awesome. I'll probably play it at some point. My only hindrance is an having "okay" computer. I'd like to be able to run it with all the pretty stuff turned up high.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Preordered the game a while back, basically the day it became possible. I'm probably not going to get it at launch, though. I've got the extended edition of the first game but I never got very far in it. I don't know why, at some point it just got bothering and then I lost interest.

Saephon said:
If it turns out as good as it looks, The Witcher 2 will make up for the travesty that was Dragon Age 2 for me. I don't know what's been going on at BioWare lately, but it's rubbing me the wrong way. Mostly the "I don't feel I should be spending this much money on something so mediocre" way. Anyone else have similar thoughts/excitement?

I didn't buy Dragon Age 2 because I knew it'd suck, and I understood that whatever pleasure I had derived from Dragon Age: Origins was intertwined with my fond memories of the Baldur's Gate era. I don't think it means Bioware is going down the drain or anything. They're just a part of EA now, they've expanded (absorbed Mythic) and are taking on more projects at once for more platforms and with shorter delays. DA2 was the result of that. Right now their two main projects are ME3 and The Old Republic, and despite the ambivalent response to ME2 it's hard to deny that it's an awesome game. I have faith that they'll make ME3 an unforgettable experience. It's what will come after that will be more tricky for them.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
So... Any feedback on this game? Getting a gaming PC soon, this was the first game I thought off. Figured I'd ask.

My boyfriend played it on PC and insists that it is one of the best western RPG's ever made. Of course, it is said to be better than the first one by far.

It is coming out next month on the 360, so I plan on finally giving it a play through. Not buying Mass Effect 3 (out of protest) has left me a large gaming gap that needs to be filled.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
PeachPaper said:
My boyfriend played it on PC and insists that it is one of the best western RPG's ever made. Of course, it is said to be better than the first one by far.
Thanks for the reply. I haven't gotten my PC yet but I'm looking forward on playing it. I heard that the 360 version will have a bunch of added content but I'm still planning on getting the original.

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
Nomad said:
Thanks for the reply. I haven't gotten my PC yet but I'm looking forward on playing it. I heard that the 360 version will have a bunch of added content but I'm still planning on getting the original.

Apparently if you already have the PC version or if you buy it before the release date of The Witcher 2: The Enhanced Editon than you will automatically get it for free.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Infinte said:
Apparently if you already have the PC version or if you buy it before the release date of The Witcher 2: The Enhanced Editon than you will automatically get it for free.
Interesting. Thanks for the info, I really hope this game delivers. I'm not big on PC gaming so I am making an effort to have a good first time experience.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Witcher 2 looks very cool to me. I don't know anything about this game or the series but I'll be buying this I think. The 360 version will have added content and expansions or something too? I love extra content.

Update- I'll be buying this after work today. Can't wait to play :guts: Been hearing a lot of positive feedback.

Bought Witcher 2(pc) today too,downloading Enchanced Expansion now(10GB from their site),will see how things will work out,though I should finish ME3 first :sad: ..Played a bit without expansion and yeah it's great game,especially visuals ^^,combat is more polished than first too ^^

Oburi

All praise Grail
Damn, even I didn't expect it to be this good. Played 5 hours straight and only just finished the prologue. Before I knew it I was totally sucked into the story. Can't wait to dig in deeper.

Just finished this game and I've got to say I enjoyed many aspects of the story, the characters and the mature tone. Personally I thought the mechanics could use some tweaking in a few places and the ending felt a little flat. but overall the game was a good experience and I enjoyed playing it

another thing to note is that the books that this game is based on some of them have been translated and are available in North America might make some good reading the authors name if I remember correctly is Andrej Sapkowski

Oburi

All praise Grail
I actually quit this game after only playing it a little bit more than above post. It was really good but I had a lot of trouble with the combat on the 360. It's a pc game after all and I really wanted to be using a keyboard instead of a controller. If I ever feel like going back into it I'll get it for the computer.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
So finally finished it tonight, and overall it's a game I would selectively suggest to friends. Gameplay has it's issues, and the ending is not what one would expect as far as length is concerned... However third and final installment is already in works so I'll just hope they are planning on doing a decent ending.

What I love the most is the decision options our characters have. Felt more realistic than the tipical Bioware decisions ordeal. There is no fully good or fully bad options. Each decision truly comes with a heavy price no matter the choice. The most critical decision that does impact the gameplay comes quite early and without warning. These perks and surprises are things I appreciate in games like these.

Downfall is that there is no way for players to get a hold of the story from the first witcher game. And this somewhat complex world can be confusing at times.

Top Bottom