E3 2011 News

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Walter said:
Hey, maybe we'll finally even see Pikmin 3... :mozgus:
I WANT TO SEE PIKMIN 3 AT E3!!!!!!!
PikminFin--article_image.jpg

i always found pikmin 1 & 2 rather relaxing. i loved them! I heard that Pikmin 3 will be released in October this year for its 10th year anniversary.

also a new F-Zero in HD for the new console! 1080p please! :isidro: (hopefully it will be made like F-Zero GX :ubik:)
1078012-358953_01_super_super.jpg

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Konami's pre-E3 show video was released. A few tittles coming out, and Hideo Kojima's update on several of his works:

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (MGS 2,3 and Peace Walker for the PS3 and 360)
Zone of Enders HD collection (Also on PS3 and 360)
Hideo's new product called "Transfarring" Allowing consumers to transfer games from consoles to portables (meh).
Metal Gear Rising announced to be released on 2012, but no new content or trailer.
Hideo's new game to be announced next year on E3.

Link below for those who want to check out the tittles:
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713184/konami-e3-press-conference-metal-gear-solid-silent-hill-and-more/

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I thought Neverdead's trailer was the only interesting/hilarious thing to come out of Konami's show. The villain in that game...?

ndvillain1.jpg

Yeah... a muscular bird man with Marge Simpson's haircut.

But today, it's Tomb Raider's trailer that has be all excited: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-tomb-raider/714562

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Neverdead trailer was amazing. I love how wacky it is. Looks like a lot of fun. Here's a link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vaKj9VDp4I&feature=player_embedded

Laura is looking good too. I like the direction they're going.

Super excited for the MGS HD and Zone of Enders HD collections. Never had a playstation because most of what I want comes over to xbox. I'm glad they've decided to go multiplatform, always wanted to play their games.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
Laura is looking good too. I like the direction they're going.
Lara.

Super excited for the MGS HD and Zone of Enders HD collections. Never had a playstation because most of what I want comes over to xbox. I'm glad they've decided to go multiplatform, always wanted to play their games.
How many times has Konami re-released those MGS games? I found them returning to the well so many times, this year in particular, a little despicable personally.

Some new Wii2 rumors came out today through the Japanese press: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/04/nikkei_wii_controller_details/

Wii 2 will feature a new type of controller that includes a touch screen. The controller will give tablet-like controls to games, tapping the touch panel to control the characters on your television, for instance. The controller can also be used as a portable game machine.

The touch panel on the controller is six inches. The controller itself has a built in rechargeable battery and includes a camera. The camera can be used for a variety of play opportunities -- for instance, a player making an avatar of himself for use in a game.

Nikkei says that Wii 2 could be released as early as mid of 2012. The site lists the system as "Wii successor console."
The only reason I'm bothering to mention it now is that we're close to the unveiling, and I think this sounds credible.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Walter said:
How many times has Konami re-released those MGS games? I found them returning to the well so many times, this year in particular, a little despicable personally.

Not more than once for each game except Peace Walker, and they always courteously add more content. I have no real complaints, it'll be awesome to play these on 360, especially with the online capabilities of Peace Walker. If I'm going to point a finger of redundancy, I'd much rather a company like Square-Enix take that blame for the creation of their Final Fantasy breeding farm.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Viral Harvest said:
Not more than once for each game...
I think you're forgetting a few releases and compilations.

MGS original (1998)
MGS: Integral (1999)
MGS: Twin Snakes (2004)
MGS2 Original (2002)
MGS2: Substance (2003)
MGS3 Original (2004)
MGS3: Subsistence (2005)
Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection (2008)
MGS3: Snake Eater 3D (2011)
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (2011)

In total, MGS 1: released 4 times. MGS2: released 4 times. MGS3: released 5 times.

Viral Harvest said:
If I'm going to point a finger of redundancy, I'd much rather a company like Square-Enix take that blame for the creation of their Final Fantasy breeding farm.
Square has indeed been redundant about certain games, particularly FF4. But let's not get sidetracked here. A huge portion of Konami's Pre-E3 show was dedicated to showcasing collections of older games. MGS collection, Zone of the Enders and Silent Hill. When a considerable chunk of your annual releases are dedicated to celebrating the glory of your past, there's a word for that: stagnation.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
When a considerable chunk of your annual releases are dedicated to celebrating the glory of your past, there's a word for that: stagnation.

*afraid to make Nintendo joke*

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
*afraid to make Nintendo joke*
Nintendo's the best in the business of extending the life of their franchises, but they do so with new games, not rereleases or compilations. They actually don't celebrate their older games very often given their age.

Griffith

Walter said:
Nintendo's the best in the business of extending the life of their franchises, but they do so with new games, not rereleases or compilations. They actually don't celebrate their older games very often given their age.

While they continue to innovate of course, I'd say they're the best in the business on capitalizing on their past as well. They've consistently made sure keep up with demand for their library of classics via ports, re-releases, and compilations. The list for many of them puts the Metal Gear examples to shame, but on the contrary, it's nothing to be ashamed of, they've merely reaped the benefits of what they've sewn. More important to the bigger picture, it's not just Nintendo anymore with the goods and means to do this on a massive scale. As gaming grows older it's interesting to consider just how many companies now lay claim to multiple important "legacy acts," in the same way you'd think of older bands that make a living off of celebrating their past. There's a component of that in all media, but the variety of ways it can be expressed in gaming is unique; from a basic re-release or port, to a revamped remake like Ocarina of Time on 3DS, to retro styled sequels like Mega Man 9 and 10. Of all creative media I think games lend themselves best to being legitimately old and new again. I don't disagree it can be stagnant, but if it's actually a viable component of the entire industry, it's also a good sign of the growth for the medium.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
I overlooked the essential collection and Integral, but everything else has either been a complete remake or added a significant amount of content to make a worthy re-release. It's not as if the games have been pumped out verbatim. We got VR Missions over in the states, but that didn't include MGS1 at all. That doesn't help my argument at all, but just saying haha. I'm actually surprised that the only MGS they haven't re-released with extra content is MGS4. All in all, I'm OK with Konami re-releasing these games because thev're included a slew of new content. Like it was said though, I can see how some people might find it redundant or stagnant, but not any more so than a movie being remastered or a classic book going for a 2nd, 3rd, or 25th printing run.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I thought Neverdead's trailer was the only interesting/hilarious thing to come out of Konami's show. The villain in that game...?

http://skullknight.net/images/ndvillain1.jpg
Yeah... a muscular bird man with Marge Simpson's haircut.

I don't know what to think about Neverdead. I like the idea of it. But the actual game... I don't know. I'll wait for reviews before getting excited.

Griffith said:
They've consistently made sure keep up with demand for their library of classics via ports, re-releases, and compilations. The list for many of them puts the Metal Gear examples to shame

Nah, I wouldn't say that. And really, if you look at what Miyamoto's always saying, you can see that he's similar to John Carmack in his lack of interest for the past. The way Nintendo handled Mario's 25th anniversary is a good example of that. It's so clear that it was a non-event to the brains behind the games and that the marketing department pulled it all by themselves (hence the half-assed result). Same goes for Zelda's anniversary where they're apparently only now kind of thinking about maybe doing something. It's an afterthought for them. There's a big difference between a new game in a franchise like Street Fighter IV and a remake like Street Fight II HD. Nintendo sticks to its franchises (some of them, at least), but it's hardly done any remakes. Super Mario All-Stars is the only real one, and it was a compilation that included a game westerners had never played. Which I guess is why I'm inclined to be more tolerant towards the two 3D remakes they're going to release soon (Starfox 64 & Zelda: OoT) than I'd be if Square-Enix released a FFIV 3D game.

Stuff like the "classic" collection on GBA was never in the limelight, and I think this is what Walter was getting at: that on the contrary, Konami this year had a conference that was mostly about re-releases of old titles. Not that it's all so bad or anything (I'm looking forward to Peace Walker and Zone of the Enders myself), but it doesn't bode well for the company IMHO. I'm afraid they're having problems renewing themselves, and I've been for years. I hope they'll manage to get over it. I think they can still do it, but they have to pull themselves together before it's too late.

Viral Harvest said:
All in all, I'm OK with Konami re-releasing these games because thev're included a slew of new content. Like it was said though, I can see how some people might find it redundant or stagnant, but not any more so than a movie being remastered or a classic book going for a 2nd, 3rd, or 25th printing run.

My personal take on the matter is that re-releasing is never a problem in itself. The way I see it is that choice is always good, and I like the idea of being able to play a game on any number of platforms if I were to want to. What is more problematic however is when a company switches its focus from new games (doesn't have to be a new franchise, but a new title) to old ones. Not saying it's necessarily the case with Konami here, but I don't want them to end up like Hudson.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Tomorrow's the big day. For a quick recap, here's where to watch the livestreams of the conferences:

Monday, June 6
Microsoft: 9-11 a.m. PST -- http://www.xbox.com/e3
Sony: 5-6:30 p.m. PST -- http://us.playstation.com/e3-2011/

Tuesday, June 7
Nintendo: 9-10 a.m. PST -- http://e3.nintendo.com/

Turns out I have to work during Sony's. Oh well... But I made sure to carve out time for Nintendo :serpico:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Nah, I wouldn't say that.

Well, I still would, even because of some of the thoughtful reasons and examples you mentioned. Like I said, it's not a bad thing. I also realize that Walter was talking more about Konomi basically making that the centerpiece of what they're "doing," which Nintendo wouldn't do even when they are re-releasing things.

Aazealh said:
My personal take on the matter is that re-releasing is never a problem in itself. The way I see it is that choice is always good, and I like the idea of being able to play a game on any number of platforms if I were to want to. What is more problematic however is when a company switches its focus from new games (doesn't have to be a new franchise, but a new title) to old ones. Not saying it's necessarily the case with Konami here, but I don't want them to end up like Hudson.

Yeah, and I may be wrong, but it made me think of Sega too. Maybe instead of trying to make another good Sonic game, they should just stop making Sonic games.

Walter said:
Tomorrow's the big day. For a quick recap, here's where to watch the livestreams of the conferences:

Monday, June 6
Microsoft: 9-11 a.m. PST -- http://www.xbox.com/e3
Sony: 5-6:30 p.m. PST -- http://us.playstation.com/e3-2011/

Tuesday, June 7
Nintendo: 9-10 a.m. PST -- http://e3.nintendo.com/

Turns out I have to work during Sony's. Oh well... But I made sure to carve out time for Nintendo :serpico:

Barring a surprise from Microsoft, that's the one to see.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Well, I still would, even because of some of the thoughtful reasons and examples you mentioned. Like I said, it's not a bad thing. I also realize that Walter was talking more about Konomi basically making that the centerpiece of what they're "doing," which Nintendo wouldn't do even when they are re-releasing things.

Mmh well we're going to have to agree to disagree here. :slan:

Griffith said:
Barring a surprise from Microsoft, that's the one to see.

MS already announced they weren't revealing any new hardware this year, so it's likely going to be Kinect all the way, with maybe the rumored TV subscription service. I'm not really looking forward to it, though I hope they'll have some cool stuff up their sleeve.

EDIT: Apparently: Dance Central 2, Halo 4, Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Kinect Star Wars.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
From MS' conference:

-Halo 4 coming next winter, and will be the start of a new trilogy: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-halo-4/714833
-Mass Effect 3 will use Kinect voice recognition to select dialogue choices and command teammates: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714804
-Live TV services coming to Xbox Live! this fall
-A remake of the original Halo to commemorate its 10th anniversary
-A slew of on-rails shooters for Kinect
-A new first-person action game from Crytek set during the fall of Rome, called Ryse

I thought Tomb Raider was the most impressive part of the show, and that's a multi-platform title. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-tomb-raider/714828

All in all though, this one was a real bore.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
I suck Halo down like coca cola. Pretty excited about 4 and the remake. I just hope the series goes in an interesting direction with the new devs.

The Tomb Raider stuff looks amazing as well. Minecraft on the 360? Sorry fortresscraft!

Also the two guys playing fake football was a real gem. Thank goodness they gave us that!

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Mmh well we're going to have to agree to disagree here. :slan:

That's very reasonable, but I say we settle this by fight to the death! Duke Nukem Forever rules: first one to die of old age loses. The duel has already begun! :SK:

Aazealh said:
MS already announced they weren't revealing any new hardware this year, so it's likely going to be Kinect all the way, with maybe the rumored TV subscription service. I'm not really looking forward to it, though I hope they'll have some cool stuff up their sleeve.

Yeah, I suppose there's not much reason for them to make a move anyway. Might as well take a peek at what Nintendo's doing before they announce whatever long-term plans they have.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, Sony's really gunning for Nintendo with its competitive pricing for the PS Vita: $249/299 (Wifi/3G models). That's the biggest surprise of their show, to me. I figured it would be +$400.

In non Sony news, the Assassin's Creed: Revelations trailer was my favorite of the day: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-assassins-creed/714943

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
I AM SO PUMPED! im pretty sure most people are like "Meh" over this but..

I LOVE THIS GAME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVEoxVgkR6s&feature=player_embedded

oh the fun times i have had.... they may continue on a new console online!! YES!

I skipped over SF4 because its lame and decided to get rid of parrying. plus i like SF3's animation and music style better!

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I don't know how to feel about this so far... I wish they gave us some specs. It seems like it will be a decent current gen console... but what about when Sony and Microsoft reveal their next gen consoles? Still I'm excited!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
I don't know how to feel about this so far... I wish they gave us some specs. It seems like it will be a decent current gen console... but what about when Sony and Microsoft reveal their next gen consoles? Still I'm excited!
They were very coy about the whole thing. Seems very powerful, but no specs, and they were treating the controller like it was the new console. But they didn't showcase the base console itself. Though it's visible in the 2nd shot above (lower right).

I suppose it doesn't matter what the base looks like, or what the specs really are. It's going to launch with pretty much every major multi-plat game of this year, including Battlefield 3, Arkham City, Darksiders II, apparently BioShock Infinite, etc, possibly Assassin's Creed: Revelations (or whatever game Ubi cooks up for next year). That is fucking HUGE news. The playing field has changed completely. Still, as a result of no specs or pics of the new console, i kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, and it never did.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of things to process and comments to make... About all the conferences.

I really love the new direction for Tomb Raider. I hope the game is amazing. At some points during the trailer I was reminded of the Indiana Jones movies. That's when I know they did their job right. The Assassin's Creed stuff was cool too, not anything new but so far Ubisoft can afford to keep churning the games out. Hopefully they'll be smart and move forward before it gets stale. The MS show was roughly what I expected it to be. I never liked Kinect and that hasn't changed. Nothing they do with it interests me. The Mass Effect 3 implementation was unimpressive. ME3 looks fucking good though, I'm very excited about it (big surprise, I know :iva:) despite some perceived inconsistencies as far as the story goes (notably the threat the Reapers represent, but that isn't a topic for this thread). Ryse, the Crytek title for Kinect (really didn't expect to see that) didn't really move me. Looks like it'll be a solid title though, perhaps the best Kinect will have to offer along with Dance Central.

Gears of War 3 looks cool (more of the same), Halo HD remake? Not interested. TV subcription? Why not, I welcome all the services they're trying to bring to the system. Nothing to say about Halo 4 since we didn't really see anything, and I haven't even played Halo 3 or Reach, so... The Battlefield 3 tank demo bored me to tears, but their graphics engine is just ridiculously good. Very impressive. I'm still super excited about the new Ace Combat, and I hope the 3DS version will rock as well. The stereoscopic 3D has the potential to be awesome in a flight "sim". Didn't care much for OverStrike. The new NFS (the Run) felt like a fucking joke. Cheesy cinematics of the guy running straight ahead interspaced with QTE sequences? That's the future of the series? Wow.

Couldn't watch Sony's conference, but the Vita's price makes it very enticing to me. Not possessing a PSP, there's a lot of cool games waiting for me there from the get-go. The new games they've announced for it so far aren't making me dream (Wipeout is nice but I'd rather get a new F-Zero) but there's no arguing that the system's technically incredible. Other than that, getting Dust 514 (from the EVE Online team) as a PS3 exclusive is cool for Sony I guess? Potentially uncool for me as a non-PS3 owner if the game is as awesome as its trailers look. :judo:

I'm happily surprised by the Wii U. The ability to switch the screen to your controller and keep playing when your spouse barges in and wants to watch TV in particular will be a boon to the family man. The video chat stuff is cool too, though I expected it. But yeah, too few details.

Top Bottom