Episode 323

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Title:  - A call from the depths​

Looks like Isma's true nature is showing at last. :serpico:

And it seems the island's completely collapsing as the Sea God is breaking free. I wonder who the voice Isma's hearing belongs to. Her mother? It says: "tell me your real name".

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Whoa! She's gone full fish now! Oh, found this elsewhere! (on 4chan's anime/manga board, the source is moonphase/yaraon apparently)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
poop-pants-caption-contest.jpg

in my pants.

sooo excited for news regarding the Berserk Movie! Is there a date on there?:ubik:

I'm digging Isma's new ears too.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Looks like Isma's true nature is showing at last. :serpico:

So is the Boss, soon he'll just be another severed tentacle. :judo: (I hope he inexplicably survives =)

Dar Klink said:
Oh, found this elsewhere! (on 4chan's anime/manga board, the source is moonphase/yaraon apparently)

Griffith's coat is sure looking a lot dumber than I remember. He's either fighting in his bath robe or he needs a new tailor.

Truder said:
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv133/DToaster/jizz-in-my-pants-andy-samberg.jpg
in my pants.

I think we're good on this one for a few months now.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
Whoa! She's gone full fish now!

I'd say about half-fish actually. :iva: Anyway, I can't wait to see the Sea God's full figure!

Thanks for the link, though I took the liberty to replace your picture with the original, bigger version straight from Japan. :slan:

Truder said:
sooo excited for news regarding the Berserk Movie! Is there a date on there?:ubik:

The movie's release date is set to January 2012.

Isma as a merrow looks interesting and the news about the movie are fantastic. Looks like a good episode. Next one should be out on the 22th, right?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mysterious voices in the sea, calling out to Isma and beginning her transformation... I love it! :isidro:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Still wondering what the tentacles' luminescence is all about. Maybe there's no ulterior motive behind their glowing other than the fact the Sea God's design will be based on a bottom-dweller (using its glowing tentacles to attract prey), but I'm still holding out hope for something more.

RivFader said:
Looks like a good episode. Next one should be out on the 22th, right?

Yeah.

Walter said:
Mysterious voices in the sea, calling out to Isma and beginning her transformation... I love it! :isidro:

Mysterious voice: "Who's yo mama?"

:iva:

A-fuckin-mazing episode preview, thanks Aaz. And as for the tentacles glowing under the moonlight, I believe it might be either due to their body surface being coated with the same bioluminescent material that makes the insides of Sea God's organs also have a light glowing in them, or that tentacles' light emission is may be there as an indication of Sea God's extreme wrath, seeing as just how furious he has become at this point. Again, those are just my guesses.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
You know, something tells me this means Isma won't be sticking around after this.

However, I think she's completely badass when she's rescuing Isidro.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
You know, something tells me this means Isma won't be sticking around after this.

However, I think she's completely badass when she's rescuing Isidro.

Well it was kind of bound to happen from the moment it was revealed she had ties with the merrows. But yeah, she does look super badass, and I think her time to shine isn't over yet. :guts:

Will Guts attack Isma? He doesn't take kindly to their types. :puck: In the past Guts has been somewhat black and white about killing monsters no matter what their past is, or how old they are. Up till now all of which have been evil at one point or another. Isma as far as we know really hasn't. Once Guts gets a look at the flipper, I wonder how berserk he's going to go, if at all. :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Will Guts attack Isma? He doesn't take kindly to their types. :puck: In the past Guts has been somewhat black and white about killing monsters no matter what their past is, or how old they are.

:schierke: Isma isn't a monster, come on now. She's half-human, half-merrow, a race of human-like astral beings. Guts hates apostles, and he'll fight any kind of monster when the need arises, but he's not gratuitously bloodthirsty, nor does he have strict principles that require that he kills anyone who's not strictly and purely human. So just like he's never killed elves, why would he have a problem with Isma? He's really not that kind of guy.

:ubik: Nice episode...
I don't understand the face of Isidro in the 17th picture when Isma rescue him. Is Isidro terrorized, suprised or out of oxygene (can't breathe)?
Thanks.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
flagawax said:
I don't understand the face of Isidro in the 17th picture when Isma rescue him. Is Isidro terrorized, suprised or out of oxygene (can't breathe)?
Thanks.
Probably all three. The sound effect is kinda like GULP I think. "GOPA"

Maybe it's kind of like "GLUB GLUB" or the sound that happens when you let out a breath under water.

EDIT:

I like the title of this episode. I wonder if soon we'll see TONS of merrows appear soon after this. I'm truly hoping for at least a reunion with Isma and her mom.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
flagawax said:
Thanks.
He's scared of Isma's new features and lets out the air he was holding in out of surprise/shock.

These previews likely aren't giving us a complete take on what's happening from Guts and Schierke's perspective, inside the Sea God. It looks like they haven't progressed more than 2 seconds in their battle. I'm guessing that's not the case, and I expect to see a little more from their end.

As for how Guts will ultimately escape, he has one thing on his side -- the sea god is hand-delivering him to the Sea Horse right now! :guts:

Another thing not mentioned in this thread yet is the urgency of this battle to come to a close soon. The Sea Horse is just a pebble in the wake of the sea god. The merrows had better arrive soon...

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Dude, holy shit. Guts is in some serious danger. Those monsters are the real deal.

Isma's transformation scene was brilliant and beautiful. She really is a great character.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Dude, holy shit. Guts is in some serious danger. Those monsters are the real deal.
From one mouth to another! :guts: It may look like he's in deep shit, but it's more like he has them right where he wants them -- all cluttered in one mass. Perfect for the arm cannon.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Another thing not mentioned in this thread yet is the urgency of this battle to come to a close soon. The Sea Horse is just a pebble in the wake of the sea god. The merrows had better arrive soon...

Indeed... The Sea Horse is in serious trouble right now.

Gobolatula said:
Isma's transformation scene was brilliant and beautiful. She really is a great character.

Yeah the scene is just beautiful. I like her look as a merrow, too. Her expression of determination on the last page is somehow very cute.

Walter said:
From one mouth to another! :guts: It may look like he's in deep shit, but it's more like he has them right where he wants them -- all cluttered in one mass. Perfect for the arm cannon.

Agreed, although it looks bad, I'm not too worried about him. He's getting giant eel carpaccio for breakfast. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from the big 2-page spread in the cave, the shot of the Sea God on page 5 is the most revealing so far. He even sort of resembles Monstro from Pinocchio from that angle.

Also, loved the blood effects during Guts' battle with the sea god. Reminded me of Klingon blood in that zero-gravity scene in Star Trek VI :serpico:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:

I think you might be right on the money.

Walter said:
Also, loved the blood effects during Guts' battle with the sea god. Reminded me of Klingon blood in that zero-gravity scene in Star Trek VI :serpico:

:ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
There's something very cool that happens on Page 17.

isma-name1.jpg

On the previous page, a mysterious voice from the sea was calling to Isma, reminding her that she was bestowed a "true name." Isma then responds, saying "My true name..." then opens her mouth, as if to say it, and is suddenly transformed. It's as if the intonation of her true name, which doesn't appear in the text, was recognized by the ocean and helped reveal her true form. Maybe her merrow name is something only communicable to other merrows.

Awesome stuff, Miura.

Oh yeah, one other thing about the episode: no super-deformed Puck or Ivalera at all. In each panel, they're drawn fully formed. Miura is putting on a serious tone for the coming episodes. :miura:

Awesome. Simply, jaw-dropping awesome episode. Looks like Guts is finally giving the Sea God his little long-overdue heartburn and indigestion :guts:
The scene with the emerging of Sea God out of that island's cave, that has been possibly the most terrifying experience that I've had while reading Berserk, since I've been introduced to the series 7 years ago, and I love it!! :puck:

Walter said:
Oh yeah, one other thing about the episode: no super-deformed Puck or Ivalera at all. In each panel, they're drawn fully formed. Miura is putting on a serious tone for the coming episodes. :miura:

Good eye, Walter :guts:
This is indeed a something of a milestone for Berserk. I don't believe there has been an episode that hasn't had at least a single shot of Puck and/or Ivalera in their distorted cartoonish forms, in like 7 or 8 years. I am very happy that we have been treated by Miura to something quite rare like this :serpico:

Top Bottom