Episode 323

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
There's something very cool that happens on Page 17.

isma-name1.jpg

On the previous page, a mysterious voice from the sea was calling to Isma, reminding her that she was bestowed a "true name." Isma then responds, saying "My true name..." then opens her mouth, as if to say it, and is suddenly transformed. It's as if the intonation of her true name, which doesn't appear in the text, was recognized by the ocean and helped reveal her true form. Maybe her merrow name is something only communicable to other merrows.

Awesome stuff, Miura.

The scene reminds me of something else too... "Sacrifice." :griffnotevil:

Walter said:
Oh yeah, one other thing about the episode: no super-deformed Puck or Ivalera at all. In each panel, they're drawn fully formed. Miura is putting on a serious tone for the coming episodes. :miura:

Also, it could just be coincidence but Miura is depicting a tsunami-like wave in this episode.

Señor Caudillo said:
This is indeed a something of a milestone for Berserk. I don't believe there has been an episode that hasn't had at least a single shot of Puck and/or Ivalera in their distorted cartoonish forms, in like 7 or 8 years. I am very happy that we have been treated by Miura to something quite rare like this :serpico:

I don't know about that.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I just got home from work, and scrutinized the images of this episode. It's just great! Where's Guts going to end up now? What is the reaction of the others after Isma reveals herself in her new form? Stay tuned! :ubik:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Th3Branded0ne said:
What is the reaction of the others after Isma reveals herself in her new form? Stay tuned! :ubik:
I imagine her plopping back on the boat with Isidro in her hands and then blowing a merrow horn she pulls out from behind her back. Then suddenly, a bazillion merrows all pile together to make a big giant merrow ball two times the size of the Sea God. They're so coordinated that they form working arms made entirely of merrows and pry open the Sea God's mouth so Guts can escape.

Or, odds are, she's gonna dart out of the ocean at such a speed (like dolphins do when they jump out of the ocean) and everyone will be amazed as she soars through the air for that brief moment when she drops Isidro back off. Roderick and his crew really are on the journey of their lifetimes, to be able to witness and be apart of all these things.

Am I asking for too much when I want Isma to let the tentacles chase her so she can misdirect them and make them tie themselves into pretzels?

Gobolatula said:
Or, odds are, she's gonna dart out of the ocean at such a speed (like dolphins do when they jump out of the ocean) and everyone will be amazed as she soars through the air for that brief moment when she drops Isidro back off.
That last panel looks like what you described ... if you notice, the water is beneath them and you can see the sides of the ship, plus no bubbles like the smaller panel above!

The last panel we see for Guts is haunting, looks like he's in deep shit but he always has a knack of coming out of it. With the Sea God moving so much, I don't recall seeing Guts a little shaken up inside from all the movement, or is it something I missed?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
Am I asking for too much when I want Isma to let the tentacles chase her so she can misdirect them and make them tie themselves into pretzels?

No. Now I want to see that, as well. :ganishka:

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
That last panel looks like what you described ... if you notice, the water is beneath them and you can see the sides of the ship, plus no bubbles like the smaller panel above!

Yep, she's already breached. :guts:

IncantatioN said:
The last panel we see for Guts is haunting, looks like he's in deep shit but he always has a knack of coming out of it.

You can even see his cape coming out of that mess of mouths, so he's definitely in there somewhere. So, either they all missed and bit each other, or it's time for a canon blast, a spell, or some of other hot armor action:

slicendice.jpg

I'd love to see the Beast come out to play. :beast:

IncantatioN said:
With the Sea God moving so much, I don't recall seeing Guts a little shaken up inside from all the movement, or is it something I missed?

He was already experiencing that in the last episode just from being so close to the heart, which only got worse when the Sea God began to move:

puella said:
Schierke: Guts.....!

Guts: This doesn't even compare to the Sea Horse' cannon fire!
Guts: My lower belly...
Guts: No, my whole body is near damn paralyzed.

Page 12

Guts: If we stay here too long, we'll definitely go mad and die because of the heartbeat!!

Page 13

Schierke: Then we should hurry (to get it over with) before that happens...!
Guts: I know.
Schierke: ...Guts?

Guts: The air is thick and heavy.
Guts: I can't breathe...

Guts: My body feels heavy
Guts: I feel like I'm underwater.
Guts: ...That's why the sound is propagated more clearly...

Schierke: The heartbeat is getting faster...!?
Guts: What!?

BTW sharktopus fans, there's also a fellow in there that looks like a combination of a Great White and Cookiecutter Shark:

shark1.jpg
shark2.jpg

Irvine said:
What happened to the pirates? What did the sea god to them?

Nothing special, really. The pirates' bodies finally ceasing to look anything human-like, and the Captain's speech becoming an incoherent gurgle and grunting, before he lost his voice altogether and is unable to speak at all, it is all an indication that their integration into Sea God's body is complete. And now, by this point, pirates are nothing more than just another bunch of Sea God's appendage tentacles. In fact, if you're to take a closer look at the pirate ship Captain Sharkrider's crew for the past 15 episodes, you can observe how for during that period the physical appearance of pirates' bodies metamorphosing after they have fallen prey to Sea God, i.e; gradually but progressively turning more misshapen, their skin growing more and more scaly, and their eyes becoming fish-like, all bulgy and large.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
In fact, if you're to take a closer look at the pirate ship Captain Sharkrider's crew for the past 15 episodes, you can observe how for during that period the physical appearance of pirates' bodies metamorphosing after they have fallen prey to Sea God, i.e; gradually but progressively turning more misshapen, their skin growing more and more scaly, and their eyes becoming fish-like, all bulgy and large.
Their appearance hasn't degraded over time. They sustained some injuries in the battle with the Sea Horse, but that's it. A simple check before you posted would have made that clear for you.

In answer to Irvine's question, in my opinion, their identities are being subverted by the Sea God. The Boss was after all in the middle of a retreat before the Sea God emerged and went charging for the exact target the Boss was running from. It's possible that he's forcing his appendages to stay in their natural state. Basically, reigning in their personalities for the upcoming big attack.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Griffith said:
Yep, she's already breached. :guts:
Well, I feel like a horse's patoot.

I really couldn't tell that Isma was leaping out of the water. I think it was Isidro's face, with the water in his mouth that confused me. But now I see the splash underneath them... and... the boat that is... clearly above water... :farnese:

Walter said:
Oh yeah, one other thing about the episode: no super-deformed Puck or Ivalera at all. In each panel, they're drawn fully formed. Miura is putting on a serious tone for the coming episodes. :miura:

Well, apart from Puck among the discarded clothes of Isma on panel 13 :puck:

IncantatioN said:
With the Sea God moving so much, I don't recall seeing Guts a little shaken up inside from all the movement, or is it something I missed?

It seems to me that Guts is repelled by the heartbeat, sound effect on panel 11. As told in previous episode, the pressure around the heart is huge, feels like at the botton of the ocean. There are also some weird effects, like the blood of the sea monsters on panel 10 which seems to be floating. I'm amazed that Guts can move as he does in these conditions.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
On the previous page, a mysterious voice from the sea was calling to Isma, reminding her that she was bestowed a "true name." Isma then responds, saying "My true name..." then opens her mouth, as if to say it, and is suddenly transformed. It's as if the intonation of her true name, which doesn't appear in the text, was recognized by the ocean and helped reveal her true form.

Yeah, that's one the best parts of the episode.

Walter said:
Oh yeah, one other thing about the episode: no super-deformed Puck or Ivalera at all. In each panel, they're drawn fully formed. Miura is putting on a serious tone for the coming episodes.
Señor Caudillo said:
Good eye, Walter :guts:

Not good enough.
Puck-323.jpg
(damn you jaken!)

Señor Caudillo said:
This is indeed a something of a milestone for Berserk. I don't believe there has been an episode that hasn't had at least a single shot of Puck and/or Ivalera in their distorted cartoonish forms, in like 7 or 8 years.

A milestone? You can't be serious. What a pointless detail to focus on... And there have been many episodes without Puck or Ivalera (in SD form or otherwise) over the past few years.

Gobolatula said:
Roderick and his crew really are on the journey of their lifetimes, to be able to witness and be apart of all these things.

And they're lucky to be traveling with people who can protect them from all the danger they're encountering! Just try to imagine what normal people must be experiencing all over the world right now (on land as well as on the seas). The Age of Darkness indeed.

IncantatioN said:

Well the Sea God is so huge that I don't think Guts would feel that much from within (especially considering that the Sea God isn't moving around too much, it's just wrecking everything in its path because of its size). Probably just a change of inclination, but given how hectic the situation is in there already (the fight against the monsters + the thunderous heartbeat), it wouldn't be the focus. Still, Schierke mentions it to Guts on page 10, so that means they were able to perceive it nevertheless.

Griffith said:
I'd love to see the Beast come out to play. :beast:

I don't think that's desirable in this case. Schierke's preventing the armor from clouding Guts' mind right now, but he's still getting all of its benefits... Fighting mindlessly would not make the situation any better.

Irvine said:
What happened to the pirates? What did the sea god to them?

Walter is right. The Sea God is subverting them. Taking over. As you know, when a human is killed and eaten by the Sea God (or its various appendages) he or she is reborn as a tentacle after being assimilated. "It" can then parade as a human, most likely in order to lure in more humans to be preyed on. The pirates had a strong personality and that might be why they stuck to their human forms for so long (compared to the villagers, for example). But now the Sea God isn't kidding around anymore, and so play time's over.

Señor Caudillo said:
it is all an indication that their integration into Sea God's body is complete.

They've been part of the Sea God ever since they appeared as such in episode 309. Their "integration" wasn't "incomplete" before. This was all explained by the boss himself in episode 315.

Señor Caudillo said:
In fact, if you're to take a closer look at the pirate ship Captain Sharkrider's crew for the past 15 episodes, you can observe how for during that period the physical appearance of pirates' bodies metamorphosing after they have fallen prey to Sea God, i.e; gradually but progressively turning more misshapen, their skin growing more and more scaly, and their eyes becoming fish-like, all bulgy and large.

What are you talking about, there's been no change at all in their appearance. Please don't confuse other people with false information.

Thank you for your answers. I have never expected the pirates will end that way. I thought they will be just bombed away in a seafight and end up as ghost pirates (we have seen so much creatures from legends so ghost pirates woulnd't be that absurd). But Miura surprises me ,as ever. I love how the captain keeps his mustache and eyepatch. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Not good enough.
Puck-323.jpg
(damn you jaken!)
Ahh, nice call. I didn't even recognize that as Puck when I saw it. Just thought it was some object in Isma's possession.

Before turning into a merrow, Isma says ma-na in katakana before repeating in kanji. Is this because she does not understand at first the meaning of what is conveyed by the voice from the deep or could Mana be her true name?

Sorry if I misinterpreted the text. Next episode will probably dispell my confusion...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jaken said:
Before turning into a merrow, Isma says ma-na in katakana before repeating in kanji. Is this because she does not understand at first the meaning of what is conveyed by the voice from the deep or could Mana be her true name?

She's just repeating the word; it's not her name.

Griffith

Señor Caudillo said:

Like the others said, the designs for the pirates really haven't changed since they were first transformed until now; what you're seeing is the natural variation and refinement of those models as Miura draws them repeatedly.

Aazealh said:
I don't think that's desirable in this case. Schierke's preventing the armor from clouding Guts' mind right now, but he's still getting all of its benefits... Fighting mindlessly would not make the situation any better.

Yeah, I didn't mean it would be good for them, just for me. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author=Aazealh]I don't think that's desirable in this case. Schierke's preventing the armor from clouding Guts' mind right now, but he's still getting all of its benefits... Fighting mindlessly would not make the situation any better.
[/quote]
I actually think that next episode, Schierke will have to make a choice: stay with Guts, or return to the Sea Horse and begin preparing for impact with the Sea God.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
I actually think that next episode, Schierke will have to make a choice: stay with Guts, or return to the Sea Horse and begin preparing for impact with the Sea God.
But, if Guts is alone, odds are his mind would slip back into full-on berserker mode. If we think back to his fight against Daiba, we realize he definitely needs to think straight in these tough situations. I wonder if Guts was berserk, violently hacking and biting at everything around him, would his instincts tell him to go for the heart?

Walter said:

I don't think Schierke will leave Guts, as he will going to be needing her assistance in this fight from the start to finish. Especially since he couldn't even locate the Sea God's heart without her guidance, there's no indication that she's not going to continue to be of valuable help to him for the whole duration of the battle. And also, in a fight like this, it's important for Guts to think clearly and not lose his composure. And furthermore, stabbing the Sea God's heart and killing him, that alone is still only half of the business. Even after being somehow able to do that, Guts would still remain trapped deep inside Sea God's body and would have to make his escape from out of there, all the while fighting off any possible parasite menace inside Sea God's organs. Again, all of which things that require Guts to not succumb to the Armor.
And as far as the protecting of Sea Horse from the Sea God's wrath, it seems more likely that it's gonna be Isma (and perhaps the whole school of merrows) who will do something about it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
But, if Guts is alone, odds are his mind would slip back into full-on berserker mode. If we think back to his fight against Daiba, we realize he definitely needs to think straight in these tough situations.
Señor Caudillo said:
I don't think Schierke will leave Guts, as he will going to be needing her assistance in this fight from the start to finish. Especially since he couldn't even locate the Sea God's heart without her guidance, there's no indication that she's not going to continue to be of valuable help to him for the whole duration of the battle. And also, in a fight like this, it's important for Guts to think clearly and not lose his composure. And furthermore, stabbing the Sea God's heart and killing him, that alone is still only half of the business. Even after being somehow able to do that, Guts would still remain trapped deep inside Sea God's body and would have to make his escape from out of there, all the while fighting off any possible parasite menace inside Sea God's organs. Again, all of which things that require Guts to not succumb to the Armor.
Believe it or not guys, I am fully aware of the implications of Schierke leaving Guts during this critical moment. :guts: :schierke: But what if she was forced back into her body? The force of the wave impact aboard the Sea Horse could jolt her back, or any number of things. Even though this situation already seems desperate, the stakes would be raised even more if Schierke had to leave Guts. That's all I was trying to poke at with my thought.

I don't really think there's any better place for her right now than by Guts' side. Taking out the Sea God's heart should be priority number one. No offense to Schierke, but creating more magical bulwarks against the Sea God isn't likely to have much effect.

I felt like a nerd reading this episode. I found myself drawn to the awesome renditions of real life deep sea creatures. It's funny to see that he practically googled deep sea fish to get some inspiration. Gulper eel, Wolftrap Angler, Goblin Shark and what looks to be a Frilled Gill Shark all pretty realistically translated into huge behemoths. Awesome visuals as always.

Griffith

Walter said:

That would be a compelling complication, and of course her hand would have to be forced for her to abandon the effort of actually killing the Sea God to go on the defensive. Though, if the alternative was everyone else dying anyway or she otherwise had no choice it's a reasonable gamble that a berserk Guts could kill the Sea God himself and somehow survive.

Top Bottom