nintendo is sooo great !

Lliugusamui

around the corner
A friend of mine has "rebought" the nintendo one or two weeks ago ... Yesterday we've played to Mario 3.
It's amazing !!! This game is a fucking great thing !! I've been flabbergasted about how much I remember of that old game , I couldn't be more than 5 when I had the nintendo and less than 8 or about it when we have sold it ... truly amaziiing !
what do you guys think of nintendo and such stuff ?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
I sold mine years ago. I didn't have many good games for it though.
I did have the original gold Zelda. Bet I could have got some more money for that.

My prized older console is my genesis. I love 2d sonic games.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
I love the old Nintendo! I'm mostly stuck with ROMs now though. I think my favorite game is Kirby's Adventure, but the Mario games always have a high place on my list. ;D

BOB

poruno sutâ
i looove f-zero zelda mario kart super mario world street fighter II.
aaahh teh good old times smoking drugs and buzzing in front of the tv set. grrrrrrrrrrreat.

i'm gonna restart zelda now i think.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I remember back in 1986, I saved up a whole $10 to buy a Nintendo. And I could have saved you know... longer. But my older sister had already saved $90 for something else, but I was able to convince her she would love it. We ended up combining our money to get the Nintendo. And after a few days of her playing it... she got ultra bored and gave up on video games entirely. I, however, am still quite a nerd.

The old days were laden with Mega Man titles and Ninja Gaiden, but I also remember being obcessed with Bionic Commando and TMNT II (who wasn't when that game came out? Hell I got mine from Pizza Hut since Konami had a little discount/product placement deal going on with them) I didnt like RPG's much back then. I still remember playing Mario3 for the first time... Damn, playing that game now is so nostalgic. So many memories locked up, tapped open by a really low-quality midi and 8-bit sprites.

Then the SNES came along and redefined what it was to be a nerd. In my opinion, we were all casual gamers until SNES came out. At least, I know I and my friends were. But once ohh.. I dunno, Super Mario World was unveiled, I knew this would become a lifestyle. My favorite games on that console were easily Final Fantasy 6 and Super Metroid.

After that era ... Games sort of died for me. I think the last game that made me feel really excited was Xenogears. Other than that, I guess my standards have just been escalated to a point where its unobtainable.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Guillaume said:
A friend of mine has "rebought" the nintendo one or two weeks ago ... Yesterday we've played to Mario 3.
It's amazing !!! This game is a fucking great thing !! I've been flabbergasted about how much I remember of that old game , I couldn't be more than 5 when I had the nintendo and less than 8 or about it when we have sold it ... truly amaziiing !
what do you guys think of nintendo and such stuff ?

nintendo rocks man, i'm glad that i can replay Super Mario World on my brand-new Game Boy Advance... though that one was the worst of all of'em... Mario 3 rocked, i remember that.

-TS

ShinHell9

I started on here when I was like 14...
I lived in the snes generation, I could remeber kirby 3, super metriod, ninja gaiden (they remade all 3 of them for snes), Megaman X, & of course zelda...I could also remeber when dracula X scared the shyt out of me...good olde days. Now I only play rpg games, ancient japan time setting games, remakes of my generation's games, & metal gear games.

oh nintendo was the greatest. I think video games have gotten too easy over the years since those golden days. I still can't beat many of those nintendo games such as Punch Out, Mario 2 & 3, TMNT 1, Zelda 2, and a few others. Those games were truly challenging. I wish games were still like that. Oh well. I think the last time i was excited over a video game was FFVII and FFT. After ffVII and IX, FFX seemed sketchy, but i was very surprised. Super Nintendo was some of the last of those golden days IMO. But i was excited about Zelda 64 (or Ocarina of Time for those who prefer the proper name for it).

You could have just used NesterDC if you have a dreamcast (or get one, their so cheap)... and you could put every single NES Rom on a CD and play it from there... I love the Dreamcast because of this!

ShinHell9

Fusiongt said:
You could have just used NesterDC if you have a dreamcast (or get one, their so cheap)... and you could put every single NES Rom on a CD and play it from there... I love the Dreamcast because of this!
what!? how the hell do I do that!? please tell me exactly how I can do that

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Yes these were the times: I remember I did buy the Supernes for Street Fighter II only (that was a moment in gaming history that will never be equalled nor repeated never again especially now with the playstation that had standardized everything ). But Nintendo is not dead yet. On N.64 there were great games on par with the old times. I love and play yet with "Perfect Dark"

AntMan

I honestly think i sorta look like Gatts
Man nintendo was sooooo fun....i used to have one but now i'm stuck with a snes :( hehehe anyways soo many classics..... soo many tough ass games, even though i was a kid then... there still tough! Come on remember those countless hours on super ghouls N ghost? or Those good old warp pipes in Mario 1?
Oh man and the sensless shoot of golden eye! ALL THE SYSTEMS HAVE CLASSICS!!!!

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Doc AntMan said:
Man nintendo was sooooo fun....i used to have one but now i'm stuck with a snes :( hehehe anyways soo many classics..... soo many tough ass games, even though i was a kid then... there still tough! Come on remember those countless hours on super ghouls N ghost? or Those good old warp pipes in Mario 1?
Oh man and the sensless shoot of golden eye! ALL THE SYSTEMS HAVE CLASSICS!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D
youre so true
i had forgotten ghouls N ghost !!!! and golden eye was so enjoying !!
makes me rememeber as well at mario kart : i had a friend who had only this game and in the hardest level on last course he used to take a tour to the ennemies ... faster than with boosts with nothing !! ( he was truly the god of mario kart ;D ) anyway ... ^^

krunkster

mankowodaisuki
Fusiongt said:

Actually you *technically* can not do this.
Because I have every single NES rom, ever.
And they fill two CDs, but maybe NesterDC supports zip files.
Regaurdless you could fit all USA roms on one CD though.

ShinHell9

krunkster said:
Fusiongt said:

how do you do this? ^

krunkster

mankowodaisuki
ShinHell9 said:
krunkster said:
Fusiongt said:

how do you do this? ^

Oh that...

http://www.dcemulation.com/dcemu-nesterdc.htm
There is a tutorial there too.

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
The first games I played were Zaxxon and Donkey Kong on
Colecovision,ages ago.Then the first nintendo games I played
were,in that order,Kung fu,Castlevania and of course the Legend of Zelda.I've been playing ever since and still feel
to this day the excitement.Sentences like "You must defeat my Dragon punch first to stand a chance" or "Eight travelling
fighters brought together by a common destiny"(you'll get a cookie if you can guess where that last one came from)...Hell
yeah!!Anyway if you're looking for a cool Beat them up à la Golden Axe with a Berserk feel try Knight of the round.It was put onto the SNES but you'll really thank me once you'll see the original arcade game (Cps 1).By the way I keep seeing here and there threads such as which Square game xas the best one etc and nobody to my knowledge mentioned Bahamut Lagoon.I'm not saying that's my favorite, I don't have an actual favorite-how could you choose between Chrono trigger and Xenogears- but don't you agree that's a pretty cool game??It has an FF6 like atmosphere kinda even
though it's much less serious.

Manslayer

Caska is white, she's just tan.
Walter said:
After that era ... Games sort of died for me. I think the last game that made me feel really excited was Xenogears. Other than that, I guess my standards have just been escalated to a point where its unobtainable.

Are games getting worse or are we all just getting too old to appreciate them? Everyone i talk to says games suck these days and I agree. But maybe it's just that we aren't simple-minded/naive/innocent kids anymore... Nah, games just prolly suck now. Pretty graphics alone dont make a good game and that's all these new games have over the old classics.

I was waiting for Xenosaga for like 2 friggin years and it was such a letdown. At least Suikoden 3 was a nice surprise.

Did no one here have a Sega Master System? Phantasy Star is my favorite game ever.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
After years of being a complete video game nerd and generally agreeing with the herd of internet personalities and indeed, game reviewers and speculation on the industry ("Daikatana SUX"), I'm going to have to agree with the "bad guys" that make "shitty games" such as Cliff Bleszinsky and George Broussard: Gamers are bitter, bitter people.

The industry is thriving, we're still buying games regularly despite the fact that we're getting relatively old. Games are more interactive and realistic than they ever have been, developers get paid more and thus can have more time to put effort into their creations. The only thing lacking is the consumer's (that's us, folks) motivation to have fun.

Hell, half of us still cling to the ideals of older games. I know I'm a victim of declaring Final Fantasy 6 the "best RPG of all time", which is a pretty damned apparent subjective standpoint, but one that inevitably envelopes my opinion of every other game, perpetually putting everything under the harsh light of SCRUTINY and CONTRAST. "Ohhh this games good but it doesnt have the Atma Weapon!" Boo hoo! "Locke and Celes were awesome!" Boo hoo! "Super Metroid is the best action game EVER." I said something like this to Cronus this past summer after I replayed it. It's indeed a badass game, one of the "best". But because I hold it in such HIGH regard, I can't let any newer game usurp its crown. Doesn't work like that.

Nostalgia's a powerful force.

The indsutry is at the point where they're loosening their reigns and going along with the opinion of the idiot consumers (me and you).
Consumers: Well I really want to see Yuna and Tidus back together again! Boo hoo! Let's make a sequel.
Square: Oh uhhh, hey that's a fine idea! No, really! We've secretly always wanted to move in circles but we were just waiting for the right opportunity!

I'm a pretty bitter guy all the people that I know in real life that are video game fans are right along with me in that regard. What's the cause? What's the common thread? In my opinion, its an insatiable desire for perfection, with an inescapable nostalgia screaming in the back of our minds.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
FFX:2 wasn't even neccesary to get Yuna and Tidus back together. The way I read the ending, Tidus gets another chance at real life.

Seen any vidios of FFX:2? Lots of fan service. The battle system seems designed with the goal of showing as much skin as possible. Nastalgia is powerfull, but can be overpowered by a good game. The first FF game I played is FFVII. It is one of my favorites, and I realize that I didn't fully apriciate it till it sunk in and nastalgia came into effect. However, it isn't my favorite FF. My fave is FFV. I didn't really play that game untill FFA. Manslayer, what was your key gripe about XS? Yea, it was short, and didn't resolve much. You'd have to expect it wouldn't resolve everything since it is ep 1 of 6.

Its short cause they ran out of time. A lot of stuff got pushed back to episode 2. Now they COULD have just had the characters narate extended sequences of story, but they decided to tell the story in full detail.As for the trend in games, I'm convinced that, overall, they are getting easier. To this day, I can't beat most NES games without heavy cheating and save states. I've beaten all the PSX games I've had time to.

This doesn't bother me much though. I prefer it this way.

BOB

poruno sutâ
can't stand to play console games anymore. i switched to teambased fps games like q3 and ut2k3. i can't think of how these games are goin to tire me as it ain't that simple principle:
jump through the stages collect some keys and kill the boss.
i still love these old games for that, tho.
the new ones represent some evolved form of gaming including some social aspects and therefore my list of the best games ever has to include q3!

i'm not talkin about soul cali mega alpha omega 40000000 and these games. they still don't stand a chance against street fighter 2 as theres not even one aspect aside from graphics and sound that can match the goldies

Top Bottom