nintendo is sooo great !

So...back to the POINT of this...

Nostalgia really does take over, for all gamers who have been there since the very beginning. I had an Atari 2600. I played Adventure, Pitfall, all that stuff.
Expectations for every game built. And when SNES hit, man...that was it. HOW could it get better? Oh, the SNES CD? Later to be the PlayStation?

Regardless, I agree on the bitter gamer remark: I know I am. Or rather, I'm a MUCH pickier person than I once was. I owned about 4 games for my PS - MGS, FF7, 8, and 9. That's it.

PS2? I have Silent Hill 2: SE. MGS2. I have played many other games, but few captivate me.

No RPG since FF4 has held me so tightly. And none ever really will. I believe this bitterness in games is divisible in genres - such as FF4 being the best RPG ever, then Silent Hill being my favorite survival horror series. Deus Ex being my favorite PC game. That kind of thing.

I still play old school games because they caused my imagination to explode, and I often wish it would be as volatile as it used to be when I played through them. Games that capture my *imagination* are the ones I care for.

This industry is now a sequel-based insane asylum and it makes me sad that despite the graphics we have now, innovation eludes most designers. And people wonder why we're all bitter? No innovation, really.

And in saying the above, I have proven my bitterness. Suck it, CliffyB :)

Manslayer

Caska is white, she's just tan.
Yeah, I'm a bitter gamer and my yearning for the good ol' days certainly doesn't help my rating of contemporary games. Nostalgia probably plays a big part in my unfavorable view of today's games. As games evolved and improved in all technical aspects, gamers' expectations grew along with them. I'm convinced that most games today lack innovation, as Cronus mentioned (btw I remember reading your manga translations ;) ). We've come to expect alot from our games, but that's how it should be. Lots of things are taken for granted and are seen as at least the minimum for our standards, such as graphics/story/characters/music/etc. What we're looking for in a "good" game is that extra level of innovation which can elevate a game to the point where even disenchanted players are satisfied. And if a game fails in any one of the requisite standards that we've come to expect, it is automatically labeled crap. If it only lacks innovation but has everything else, then it is just the same old shit. Unless you are rich and have lots of free time, you can only afford to buy and play the couple of gems that come out every year.

Objectively speaking, games of course are far superior than those over a decade ago. It's just that higher standards have become the norm, especially for experienced players. It gets harder to come up with something new and fun for the older gamers. So as games get better, to us, they actually get worse (or harder to impress). Just as you say Walter, a good game is a perfect game. I blame the games for not being that.

I have already retired from computer gaming and I stick to playing a few games for PS2 and Soul Calibur on DC. Hah Atari...I feel old. I hope I never stop gaming.

Ok enough bitterness, more nostalgia. FF6 was not the best rpg, it wasn't even the best FF which happens to be FF4. Go Cronus, boo hoo Walter. FF6 was indeed excellent though. FF1 just sucked compared to Phantasy Star.

Majin Tenshi:
Xenosaga was a cinematic story driven game with a crappy story and dumb (poor char development) characters/dialogue. Good idea, just bad execution. Not nearly enough gameplay. Also, I wanted to kill Shion. That's not good when she's the main protagonist. Oh, and I didn't like all the vague religious references but that's just me personally. And I don't like the lack of closure in the end (tons of unexplained plot elements and unfinished plot lines). I don't like having to buy the next game to know what happened in the previous. Each single game should have enough closure for itself within its own scheme of things in the larger picture. If you enjoyed it, that's great. I was hugely disappointed since I was anticipating its release for so long.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Have anyone of you ever played the PC-game Planescape:Torment?
Even though I've been playing games since I was six years old (on a MSX) and I share the same feelings of nostalgia when I think about those good old games, this game got me in its grasp completely. It has the best plot I've ever seen in any game and is very well written. It's a game from 1999, and it's an RPG. Never have I been captivated this much by a game, only Berserk manages to rival the obsession I had over this game. It's been over two years since I played that game and I've never been able to feel the same thing over a game since. It's a dark fantasy RPG, I figure people that like Berserk will like this one.

T

temporary

Yeah, nintendo was awesome, I loved Ice Hockey, I loved using the russians >D HAHAHAHA. You get to choose skinny player, medium player and fat player, it was so hilarious! Oh yeah, was wondering, I'm thinking of buying a gameboy advance sp, but am looking for a memory card copier sorta thing so that i can put roms on it etc, to save cash on buying games, anyone know of a good dealer in canada?

G

Genn21

:D 1 word for the true nintendo fan

Chystalis

Possibly the best game ever made for the nes and never continued, hailing a young hero 2000 years in the future against inervitable odds with the brand of snk..r on his game cartridge this hero stomped smashed and crushed the competition such as zelda mario with ultra gameplay, i have never seen a better game for the nes and proboly...NEVER WILL !

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oltobaz said:
Anybody'splaying Zelda on Gamecube??This game is just too good to be true...
I'd like to. I settled for downloading 3.5 gigs of N64 roms and am currently playing Zelda: Majora's Mask and I'm totally loving it. I find that if I expect to utterly hate a game, I'll almost always end up loving it. Best post-SNES Zelda yet.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Walter said:
Oltobaz said:
I'd like to. I settled for downloading 3.5 gigs of N64 roms and am currently playing Zelda: Majora's Mask and I'm totally loving it. I find that if I expect to utterly hate a game, I'll almost always end up loving it. Best post-SNES Zelda yet.
Emulation sites have found more reasons for me to hate them since last I looked.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Majin Tenshi said:
Walter said:
Oltobaz said:
Emulation sites have found more reasons for me to hate them since last I looked.
Yeah, all that money Nintendo is losing on N64 sales.
:'( Boo hoo. :'(

Makkuro

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!
Walter said:

Yes, MM does indeed rock. I even sorta liked it more that OoT. It had such a weird, dark-yet-funny atmosphere, kind of like a (good) Tim Burton flick.

Majin_Tenshi

Yeah, all that money Nintendo is losing on N64 sales.
:'( Boo hoo. :'(
Nintendo? The sooner they go the path of Sega, the better. You know they're headed that way.

What I mean was on my search last night, 9/10 sites made you vote 4x to enter and then there roms section was "down."

Makkuro

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!
Majin Tenshi said:
Nintendo? The sooner they go the path of Sega, the better. You know they're headed that way.

Yes, because a chain of profitable consoles, broken only by the Virtual Boy, is certain to drive Nintendo out of the console business. Excellent logic.

Majin Tenshi said:
What I mean was on my search last night, 9/10 sites made you vote 4x to enter and then there roms section was "down."

Want roms? Use p2p.

Majin_Tenshi

KaZaA lite doesn't work either.

I doubt that other P2Ps work. Probably got killed at the same time.

nor does morpheus or winMX

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Right, most of my friends use Kazaa, but i'm pretty sure it is because you can have it in french and they are such shits in english. Personnally I use Winmx ...

NavalOfficerX7

This hand of mine glows with an awsome power!!!...
Nintendo.....
The Great One.......

Although Nintendo was a great system back in the day(I beat Super Mario brothers at age 5.. possibly age 4) and N64 was kick ass, as was Super Nintendo, notice that today the Gamecube isnt exactly on top of things. Note that the Xbox and The PS2 are a little bit better in terms of the tittles that they put out( THIS IS STRICTLY MY OPINION). Notice that hte Gamecube has yes indeed a few smash hit Game of the year titles such as Windwaker and I think Metroid game(s). And a few stand out titles such as Super Smash bros Melee and F-Zero and whatever else I did not list. The point is that society is now geared towards more for your money and more is better I.E.= Xbox and ps2 DvD and Cd playback capabilites and internet connectivity where as the Gamecube is more aimed towards the Family oriented sort of good old days strictly gaming for gamers society. In fact some would argue that the one of the major Reasons Nintendo isnt really in trouble in terms of money and sales ect. is the GBA SP. and even that could end soon with the Playstaion portable coming out in the future. Such a sad fate for Nintendo unless Gamecube 2 is way better than I expect........... :-\

N

Nasferatu Zodd

NavalOfficerX7 said:
Nintendo.....
The Great One.......

Although Nintendo was a great system back in the day(I beat Super Mario brothers at age 5.. possibly age 4) and N64 was kick ass, as was Super Nintendo, notice that today the Gamecube isnt exactly on top of things. Note that the Xbox and The PS2 are a little bit better in terms of the tittles that they put out( THIS IS STRICTLY MY OPINION). Notice that hte Gamecube has yes indeed a few smash hit Game of the year titles such as Windwaker and I think Metroid game(s). And a few stand out titles such as Super Smash bros Melee and F-Zero and whatever else I did not list. The point is that society is now geared towards more for your money and more is better I.E.= Xbox and ps2 DvD and Cd playback capabilites and internet connectivity where as the Gamecube is more aimed towards the Family oriented sort of good old days strictly gaming for gamers society. In fact some would argue that the one of the major Reasons Nintendo isnt really in trouble in terms of money and sales ect. is the GBA SP. and even that could end soon with the Playstaion portable coming out in the future. Such a sad fate for Nintendo unless Gamecube 2 is way better than I expect........... :-\
Dude your Title should be "Reviver of the dead threads".

Lauralana

That's Hot
Ya i kinda agree with what walter said. i played FFX-2 when it first came out and it took me about 2 weeks to beat it. And when i finished it, i really wasn't as moved by the game as i was by FFX. It was fun to play the sequel but i don't know if they really should have made it.

The gaming industry is changing. Whether it is for better or worse depends on the individual gamer.

Top Bottom